Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Are there laws saying an elector should be a citizen of their state? Or even an American at all?

All I know is there's no rule that says a dog can't play basketball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chickie nugs for brekkie
May 17, 2010
code:

G |       /
O |      /
O |     /
N |   /
S |_/_____________
    lovely derails 

Maybe shut the gently caress up and post graphs

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

C.P.A.N. posted:

code:
G |       /
O |      /
O |     /
N |   /
S |_/_____________
    lovely derails 

GOONS should really be the x-axis here

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Alien Arcana posted:

Or do the lovely derails bring the goons to the thread?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

Having the sheriff be elected directly is the system that gave us Joe Arpaio. If you don't know who that is, don't google him until you're ready to get really angry and really sad, simultaneously.

But since this the graph/chart thread, here's something to whet your appetite:

But he's tough on crime and gives prisoners bologna sandwiches for food and tents for shelter!

Wait, you mean treating people like animals causes them to behave even worse?!

:aaaaa:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Fried Watermelon posted:

But he's tough on crime and gives prisoners bologna sandwiches for food and tents for shelter!

Wait, you mean treating people like animals causes them to behave even worse?!

:aaaaa:

At least we save money by treating them so poorly :v:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

AlphaKretin posted:

Oh, and AFAIK because Electors are by state with a special exception for DC, citizens of Guam, Puerto Rico etc. can't vote.
It's not directly tied to the electoral college but yeah folks in US Territories are not granted voting rights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CesHr99ezWE

e: they are citizens, derp

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Join Guam and the North Marianas Islands into one Pacific Islands Territory, give both it and Puerto Rico an ultimatum to join as states by 2024 or they will automatically be given independence, problem solved.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Didn't Puerto Rico have a successful referendum to petition Congress to be granted statehood a couple years ago but congress hasn't done anything about it?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Alien Arcana posted:

It should also be a histogram.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh god I'm sorry I helped bring the derail to this page. :ohdear:

I'm mostly posting to unstick kalstrams' post

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Pakled posted:

Didn't Puerto Rico have a successful referendum to petition Congress to be granted statehood a couple years ago but congress hasn't done anything about it?

Sort of. The referendum question had a yes or no question: "Should Puerto Rico continue its current territorial status?" If you voted yes there were three options to chose from, independence(5.5%), statehood(61%), or free association with the US(33.3%). So even though 54% of the voters voted "Yes," only 33% of the total voting population who both voted 'yes' AND for 'statehood' actually voted for statehood. Tons of people also cast blank ballots too, so that confounded the issue even further.

Some not-so-good charts:

Jaramin has a new favorite as of 17:58 on Feb 11, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

Oh god I'm sorry I helped bring the derail to this page. :ohdear:

I'm mostly posting to unstick kalstrams' post
Thanks man :patriot: I tried to unstick it myself, but doublepost was just rejected or something? :confused:

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Jaramin posted:

Sort of. The referendum question had a yes or no question: "Should Puerto Rico continue its current territorial status?" If you voted yes there were three options to chose from, independence(5.5%), statehood(61%), or free association with the US(33.3%). So even though 54% of the voters voted "Yes," only 33% of the total voting population who both voted 'yes' AND for 'statehood' actually voted for statehood. Tons of people also cast blank ballots too, so that confounded the issue even further.

Some not-so-good charts:

You're slightly off, that 33% represents all voters, you voted on both regardless.

But still, there's a lot to be said for the idea that the first question skews the second.

Basically as long as Republicans control Congress, they'll hold off on it because Puerto Rico would likely be a Democratic stronghold.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Neither party really wants them to gain statehood honestly. I understand why, but don't think it's in the best interest of the country to keep unrepresented colonies and let them lag behind the rest of the population forever.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

foobardog posted:

You're slightly off, that 33% represents all voters, you voted on both regardless.

But still, there's a lot to be said for the idea that the first question skews the second.

Basically as long as Republicans control Congress, they'll hold off on it because Puerto Rico would likely be a Democratic stronghold.

Isn't Puerto Rico super conservative, Republicans were certainly all about letting them become a State for a bit.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Aramoro posted:

Isn't Puerto Rico super conservative, Republicans were certainly all about letting them become a State for a bit.

They're very religious, which would have them lean towards the republicans of 15 years ago. Current republicans lean on a lot of anti-immigration anti-welfare rhetoric which pushes Puerto Rico back over to the left.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Judge Schnoopy posted:

They're very religious, which would have them lean towards the republicans of 15 years ago. Current republicans lean on a lot of anti-immigration anti-welfare rhetoric which pushes Puerto Rico back over to the left.

Why on earth would Puerto Ricans care about immigration? A lot of Mexican-Americans don't care about immigration now that they're citizens, Puerto Ricans are already citizens.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

trapped mouse posted:

Why on earth would Puerto Ricans care about immigration? A lot of Mexican-Americans don't care about immigration now that they're citizens, Puerto Ricans are already citizens.

Trump's campaign platform is pretty much 'I hate brown people' so...

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
A shining quote for the advertising thread to show the effectiveness of saturation

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Sinking Ship posted:

Trump's campaign platform is pretty much 'I hate brown people' so...

Well yeah, but Puerto Ricans have no reason to care at all about immigration. They also said "current republicans", not Trump. And not all Puerto Ricans are brown.

Of course, the same could be said of Mexicans and Muslims.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Are there laws saying an elector should be a citizen of their state? Or even an American at all?

Not federally. The only federal requirements are that they can't be elected or appointed to a federal office, and they have to be able to meet in the state they're representing. The first rule is in Article II, Clause 2 of the Constitution, and the second is in both Article II, Clause 3 and the Twelfth Amendment. Since the Twelfth Amendment was written in 1803, this did restrict electors to be in or very close to the state at the time of elections, since they wouldn't be able to meet in time to cast the ballot otherwise. It does preclude criminals in other states and aliens who can't get a visa, but otherwise, states can pick whoever they want.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Jesus christ shut the gently caress up about US elections already.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

mobby_6kl posted:

Jesus christ shut the gently caress up about US elections already.

gently caress we are pretty far behind. We should already be mining mars, and in three years have unlimited material resources from the moon!

(again I'm gonna say this chart is loving rad and not awful/funny)

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Welp, now I need to head out somewhere to have that printed as a poster

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
"Mohammedans"?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

hooah posted:

"Mohammedans"?
1.6 billion was around-ish the turn of the 20th century, when Mohammed(i)an was still a commonly used term for Muslims. :shrug:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

1.6 billion was around-ish the turn of the 20th century, when Mohammed(i)an was still a commonly used term for Muslims. :shrug:

Mohammed is considered by Muslims a prophet of God, etymologically it makes as much sense as 'Christian.'

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, it makes sense, I'd just never run across it before so I didn't know how common it is/was.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
It was super common in like, the 18th century on to the early 20th century.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Use "Saracen" when further obfuscation is necessary.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Nachos

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Literally nothing awful about this graph, it's art

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

GOO FACTOR

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Well, I'm hungry now.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Ishamael posted:

GOO FACTOR

GOOF ACTOR?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

If you've ever played Pro Evolution Soccer this makes sooo much sense!

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Honj Steak posted:

If you've ever played Pro Evolution Soccer this makes sooo much sense!

Is there some kind of special nacho-thing in PES? Otherwise it's just a "5-point-graph" (don't know a better word) with 2 values, quite readable.

Edit: Some content. Its in German but that doesn't really matter.

RabbitWizard has a new favorite as of 23:29 on Feb 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

RabbitWizard posted:

Is there some kind of special nacho-thing in PES? Otherwise it's just a "5-point-graph" (don't know a better word) with 2 values, quite readable.
They are called radar charts, and Japanese video game developers go absolutely bananas for them. They are probably just on the near side of the divide of useful vs awful figures, but would probably be replaced with a series of figures if you aren't trying to impress people that you know what a radar chart is or if you aren't making a Japanese video game.

I think its meant to file under funny as its a decent example of an abused chart type.