Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Cultural Imperial posted:

In the last couple days I've sv'd steak and cod, previously frozen. Bleeeech gross

I constantly SV frozen steak. What was wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The texture of the meat was very coarse. Same with the cod.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The texture of the meat was very coarse. Same with the cod.

How was it frozen? In the store wrapper or vacuum sealed?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Chemmy posted:

I constantly SV frozen steak. What was wrong?

Do you salt the steak before you vacuum it, or after it comes out of the puddle pre-sear?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I just vac bag steaks with nothing in there besides the steak and freeze. I generally throw them in the fridge to cool down before tossing in the freezer. From there I throw them in the water bath and wait a couple hours.

The texture is perfect.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
The Anova is today's gold box deal on Amazon. $139 is a pretty decent price.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

ARGH i want it but the wife will probably be mad!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

TheReverend posted:

ARGH i want it but the wife will probably be mad!

Make her a steak with the vizzler, she'll stop being mad

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Alright help me justify this.

One "problem" we run into is that I do the bulk of the cooking. I got to boxing classes that get done around 8pm and then start cooking. She gets hungry/hangry sometimes because it's near 9 by the time I'm done sometimes and she plans to be in bed soon to wake up early for class.

With SV, I can start it around 5 or so and it'll be done when I get home right? Low risk of overcooking?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yes but you'd be better off leaving it preheated and have her drop it in the water 1-2h before you want to cook it.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I don't have a vacuum sealer. That's probably most of the problem.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

TheReverend posted:

One "problem" we run into is that I do the bulk of the cooking. I got to boxing classes that get done around 8pm and then start cooking. She gets hungry/hangry sometimes because it's near 9 by the time I'm done sometimes and she plans to be in bed soon to wake up early for class.

With SV, I can start it around 5 or so and it'll be done when I get home right? Low risk of overcooking?

I mean sous vide is literally "drop thing into water once metal thing beeps" so you can package all the foods and freeze them, have her turn on the bath (leave a list of recommended temperatures for each item if she's not a big cooking person) around like 6 and drop foods in. If it's not fish it'll be fine sitting in there an extra hour or two, so you get home whenever, take the foods out and finish them. In terms of time from you walking in the door to food on plate it will actually be faster.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

I don't have a vacuum sealer. That's probably most of the problem.

I SV frozen vacuum sealed meat constantly so that's probably it.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

TheReverend posted:

Yep. Even better, you can drop it in, pull it out, put it in the fridge up to weeks later and just have her pull it out and you sear it when you get back. I know I'm a bit of a broken record on this topic, but vac sealer+sous vide means I can do 90% of my cooking whenever I want, and take advantage of meat sales whenever I want. This morning I pulled a 36hour chuck roast out of the puddle and threw it in the fridge. Some time between middle of next week and the end of the month, I'll text her to pull it out of the fridge and leave it on the counter as soon as she gets home. I get home about 2-3 hours after her, and we'll be eating maybe fifteen minutes after I get home.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Bagged one! What are some good hard to gently caress up SV recipes that will halt any doubt in my wife? Steak? What else? Chicken breast?

I have a leg of Lamb I'd like to try one day.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Carrots, eggs.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

TheReverend posted:

Bagged one! What are some good hard to gently caress up SV recipes that will halt any doubt in my wife? Steak? What else? Chicken breast?

Pork loin; eggs (perfect poached, elegant scramble, bulletproof custards); cheap rear end cuts of beef; and salmon are my most impressive results. The tender luscious meats are great, but the one thing I can do with it that astonishes every time is eggs (including custards -- https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/creme-brulee is a loving magic trick).

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Ha-ha, she loves creme brulé. Now I have to get a blowtorch.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Any suggestions on temperature for a 48 hour prime rib? Planning on eating it Saturday night.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TheReverend posted:

Salmon.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
MMMM, YUMMY!

Some chicken breast from which I made some actually really good chicken salad I've been eating all week for lunch.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The seam is the tastiest part of the chicken breast.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
How did you finished that breast off?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

How did you finished that breast off?

Small diced, mixed into chicken salad. Didn't matter if it was ugly since it was going to be mayo'd and sandwiched.

To be honest, I don't know how I would finish BSCB. I imagine with grill marks it would still look comically bad.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

To be honest, I don't know how I would finish BSCB. I imagine with grill marks it would still look comically bad.

Torching helps. So does trimming the seam. Then cut into medallions before saucing.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Subjunctive posted:

Torching helps. So does trimming the seam. Then cut into medallions before saucing.

It would be pretty funny to serve it straight-from-the-bag to guests.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

It would be pretty funny to serve it straight-from-the-bag to guests.

In the bag, little scissors at each place setting.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Time/temp recs on scallops? Or should I just cook them in a pan because they're small enough to cook through as I sear them to develop a crust?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I've never found scallops hard to cook in a pan but eagerly awaiting your results.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Scallops are sear-flip-sear-done.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kenji (I think) tested it, and SV didn't help. Just sear, deglaze, enjoy.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Just be sure you have dry scallops. I hated searing scallops (more like boiling gross scallop liquid) until I learned there's a difference between dry and wet scallops.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

Scallops are sear-flip-sear-done.

this and buying the freshest untreated scallops and you can't really gently caress them up

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

large hands posted:

this and buying the freshest untreated scallops and you can't really gently caress them up

Arguably, sous vide is loving them up because it would definitely be no longer possible to sear them properly without overcooking.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It's kinda hard to find dry scallops (ones that don't have sodium tripolyphosphate) at groceries, but I did find some at Costco

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
When i sous vide whole eggs I take it the white that I lose is what would probably be lost into a pan of water anyway?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Jose posted:

When i sous vide whole eggs I take it the white that I lose is what would probably be lost into a pan of water anyway?

Yes. That's the 'loose white.' By the way, fresher eggs have more tight white and less loose white, which makes egg-age a a somewhat important factor when poaching.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Barring experimentation with vegetables, I think I've decided that sous vide cooking for me shall be a technique reserved only for steak. Everything else I've tried with it has come out, at best, inducing a sort of uncanny-valley-style discomfort in its unpleasantly consistent... uh, consistency. I'm thinking salmon filets with seams and treadmarks. And at worst, it can produce things mysteriously and robotically weird and awful, I.E. burgers with the texture of a chef boyardee meatball beneath the thinnest veneer of a sear.

The steaks, though. Goddamn. No other cooking method comes close, in my opinion.

Cooking things sous vide is bad, lazy, and soulless, except in the one application where it transcends any possible expectation and produces steaks so good they're individually unforgettable.

e: also, eggs were a bigger pain in the rear end sous-vide-in-shell than any other possible way of cooking them. It was definitely interesting and fun to try though.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Eggs in shell are super easy. Bundle them in a bit of cheesecloth and clip it to the side of your container. Done. The best thing other than steak, though, is chicken breast. It's SO EASY to make a perfect, juicy chicken breast this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

G-Prime posted:

Eggs in shell are super easy. Bundle them in a bit of cheesecloth and clip it to the side of your container. Done. The best thing other than steak, though, is chicken breast. It's SO EASY to make a perfect, juicy chicken breast this way.

I was thinking poaching in-shell was a huge PITA relative to the results. I have no problem poaching normally, though. And yeah chicken breast is alright but I kind of miss the character of the unevenly, imperfectly cooked breast. A lot of stuff I've made sous vide has turned out perfect but tastes 'institutional' like something you'd get at a high-end hospital or something. I find that it's difficult to impart character into anything, even with a broiler or a torch or a smoking-hot steel pan.

Just my toot scents. I'll keep experimenting, because it's fun, but I have come to think of this method as a novelty for the most part.