Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Kavak posted:

Still seems lame that there's no way to change flags except with ideology.

What flag changes does KR have that aren't due to ideology? I guess I mostly know KR through LPs since DH is way too intimidating for me to actually play. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Empress Theonora posted:

What flag changes does KR have that aren't due to ideology? I guess I mostly know KR through LPs since DH is way too intimidating for me to actually play. :v:

The PSA and AUS get to choose a flag via event, something I am quite envious of as the CSA.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Empress Theonora posted:

There are a few events that allow you to pick a completely new flag, two in the ACW. There's also absorbing other countries and changing your name and flag afterwards.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I think a bunch of countries have different flags if they become puppets of Germany or Russia even though their govtype could be the same. Some have different monarchy/republic flags. Actually there may be even more flag changes then are probably necessary, but it's nice flavor.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Aaaa all that sounds really cool. I wish I could deal with Old Paradox UIs enough to, you know, play it, but I'm still traumatized by Victoria 1.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Victoria 1 was a masterpiece of game design. Apologize to the Invisible Hand of the Free Market for this slight or you won't receive your proper dividends due to planned economy.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I'd assume that there'd be no reason a modder couldn't add an event for a Franco-British union or whatever if they wanted to? I mean the whole "this event/decision switches you to a new tag" thing is pretty common for all the PDX games. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue here?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I'd assume that there'd be no reason a modder couldn't add an event for a Franco-British union or whatever if they wanted to? I mean the whole "this event/decision switches you to a new tag" thing is pretty common for all the PDX games. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue here?

It's a step backwards from Darkest Hour where a single tag could have arbitrary cosmetic changes to its flag and name without changing its tag. That made event scripting easier since there was no need to make checks for multiple tags depending upon appearance.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

karmicknight posted:

As someone who wants to have that obsession but realizes its kind of stupid early on and quits. Part of it stems from the idea of remaking the world in a new image, especially if you are handicapping yourself and/or building up other powers. Look at the good and cool LPs of paradox games, many of them revolve around the world created, and this created world is what interests me as a player. It's why I have less of an interest in later bookmarks, less of the world is there to gently caress upremake.

It's very much this. It's all about seeing how a world where Hinduism spread to Norway in 800 would look in the 1800s, or how America would turn out if it was colonised by a European Muslim Empire (the "republican nightmare paralell"). And if the AI gets into weird enough poo poo I can rule a tiny, pointless barony in the north sea for a millennium just to see how it all develops.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The goon Hanseatic LP is one of my favorites because it's a completely retold world where Vikings colonized Canada, the Aztecs conquered Spain and Asia is the desolate remnants of a civilization that Dug Too Deep. Alt history is fantastic and I really wish modders did more with it.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
later dates in EU games have always been a joke

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Mans posted:

later dates in EU games have always been a joke

If they worked less like starting dates and more like short, self contained scenarios (like in Hearts of Iron) they would probably see more play.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Enjoy posted:

It's a step backwards from Darkest Hour where a single tag could have arbitrary cosmetic changes to its flag and name without changing its tag. That made event scripting easier since there was no need to make checks for multiple tags depending upon appearance.

More than that, I don't think that a tag change would work for HoI4 given the national focii trees that would have to be somehow imported on tag swap.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
Ah I wish HOI4 was out now.

Well maybe not right now, it only just hit beta, but you know what I mean.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Dude says the tech isn't in right now, not that it won't be. Either it'll come along later in development or post launch.

Maybe in a FLAG QUEST DLC where you can customize all flags, forever.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Crouching Sickle, hidden Swastika?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Suggestion for India.
This is awesome and I would love to see something like that.

Dibujante posted:

The reason why I think that the longbow prolonged the conflict is that, despite the weakness of the French crown, French armies were still almost always larger and better equipped than English armies. French armies relied heavily on armored cavalry and mercenary companies, which were considered by contemporaries to be Right Way to Wage War. The use of the longbow by the English probably would not have happened if the English had also been able to afford the kind of "correct" armies that the French were fielding. For this reason, I think that, without the longbow, the English would not have succeeded at contesting the claims of even a weak French king.
This is what continues to bug me about EU4 - the English are loving RICH at game start, yet every historical source I have read tells that they were poor in terms of both men and money, and it was things like the Longbow and French incompetence and honoure that kept them from kicking the English out easily.

karmicknight posted:

PleasingFungus posted:

The obsession some people have with extended Paradox games is very strange to me. You can become an unstoppable doomblob within 200 years of starting a Paradox game, and generally do, unless you're intentionally handicapping yourself in some way. It's not particularly fun to keep playing after that. If a full campaign of EU4 is too long - which it is - why on earth would I want to play something even longer?

As someone who wants to have that obsession but realizes its kind of stupid early on and quits. Part of it stems from the idea of remaking the world in a new image, especially if you are handicapping yourself and/or building up other powers. Look at the good and cool LPs of paradox games, many of them revolve around the world created, and this created world is what interests me as a player. It's why I have less of an interest in later bookmarks, less of the world is there to gently caress upremake. However, I love the poo poo out of the Vicky suite of games, and it doesn't need to a long stretch of ruining history creating emergent historically parallel stories. But that might just be me.
I think the mechanics that they are working on for Stellaris would be great additions to EU4 and CKII, or Buttery Pasty's idea for something like "momentum" that allows empires to rise and fall, akin to the way Hordes need to Keep On Conquering to keep their Horde Unity high. That will be an interesting limiting factor slowing down growth so you can play a longer game without being the sole superpower. I don't like blobbing too large because it gets tedious, I enjoy storylines and finding a way to beat the big guy as a smaller guy - if I am the big guy a quarter of the way into the game I end up quitting. I do know that I am not the prototypical Paradox consumer, though, so my opinions probably bear little weight.

Additionally: Empires rise and fall, it is a fact of history. I know Wiz posted about how certain factors are not fun for the player and keeping a player in check in a game has to work a certain way otherwise it not be fun and engaging. However, these games that are based on history so some sort of mechanic that empowers the rise of empires but then the other side of the coin can contribute to their fall would be based on history and fact and could still be engaging in some way if implemented correctly. The blobbing question is an endless one about any Strategy game.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah the main problem isn't "how do we design systems that will emulate the decline of an aging empire?" but rather "how do we make those systems fun". Losing strength/territory is almost universally a failure state in strategy games, and being forced to split your huge empire for "balance" would just feel like the game kicking you in the balls for no reason. Even when it's not even a forced thing but rather a natural consequence of the current game state (eg a huge more powerful neighbour rolling over you), players will still complain about it being unfair that there's no way for them to stop it.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

PleasingFungus posted:

My impression is that Johan really dislikes the later bookmarks, possibly because of how much work they are to maintain versus how much they actually get used. I'd be fine with tossing the day-by-day start options (cool though though they are) for a few really nice hand-crafted bookmarks, but I don't get the impression that's something that's something the Paradox team has a lot of enthusiasm for...

This

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah the main problem isn't "how do we design systems that will emulate the decline of an aging empire?" but rather "how do we make those systems fun". Losing strength/territory is almost universally a failure state in strategy games, and being forced to split your huge empire for "balance" would just feel like the game kicking you in the balls for no reason. Even when it's not even a forced thing but rather a natural consequence of the current game state (eg a huge more powerful neighbour rolling over you), players will still complain about it being unfair that there's no way for them to stop it.

This is why I would like to see failure states so interesting that players would intentionally choose them in certain cases. You get this with communism / fascism in Victoria, although I think this could be codified: Communism / Fascism could be redesigned as last-ditch efforts to dump prestige for industry / military in order to catch up to the leader of the pack (Great Britain).

In an EU4 context, it might be possible to design mechanisms that make losing parts of your empire a positive thing. Take a look at the Timurids, for example - they start in a fairly unenvious position. Historically they collapsed into feuding kingdoms. What if that were the right choice? You could say "gently caress it" and declare the disintegration of your empire, getting to pick the choicest same-culture, same-religion provinces and loot development / monarch points from the rest to boot. Rather than being stuck with Persia, you could jettison it and leave it poorer in doing so, for example. As well, with even more subject interactions, you could provide even some positive incentives for creating new vassals. For example, if it were possible to create a trade vassal who transferred x% of their trade income to you out of a bunch of high trade power provinces in a node that doesn't feed into your home node.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It really doesn't feel like there's ever any reason to pick a later start date. You don't really gain something from any of them that you can't do in an earlier one, and you lose years of gameplay instead. The only exception I can think of is starting a couple years after the start of the Grand Campaign as Byzantium in EU3 for a better start. So I think there's a bit of a feedback loop in this where everyone plays the grand campaign, and any future development is only about that because that's what the game is.

It would take a radically different game for there to ever be a reason for you guys to work on other bookmarks probably. The biggest possibility I can think of in the confines of EU4 is if you ever make fantasy scenarios. But you know what, custom nations and randomised starts are almost as good as that.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Tying everything together about blob prevention, and late bookmarks and late game in general being weird, I think some of it comes back to EU4 being too long for its granularity. The amount of gameplay per month or per year makes you feel like a useless schlub if you aren't ballooning at the most breakneck pace your manpower and diplomatic abilities can sustain. A more measured pace in the current system feels like hamstringing because not constantly being at war again makes you feel like a schlub for needing to arbitrarily play nicely in your own borders, for example regencies drive people absolutely bonkers. Its turned into a blobbing game against blobbing AI because that's how you keep people in their seats during a 2 or 3 speed multiplayer game.

So then, is there room for a less granular take on the era where the territorial gains from early EU3 aren't just a ceiling, but a very engaging challenge? I don't know, EU4 works even if you kill your average save game by 1700, and all the grognard gotta stop expansion mods have been awful experiences.

e. Part of me is now wondering if there isn't room for a 1700-1830 game since colonial appeasement has been hot and cold for a while now, and the closest we ever get to Napoleon is swat the Rev before it's bonuses balloon to superpower.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 11, 2016

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
At least in CK2 some religions/governments are bound to gavelkind succession to split up their titles if the player doesn't game the system.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I mean, if there were greater incentives for splitting up your empire (basing this on what I've seen of my buddy playing EU4 and me playing CK2) that could lead to more organic rises and falls of empires (undulating empires?). You could give Croatia back to Croatian nationalists, for example, and end up with a strong a.f. ally if no bloodshed were involved. You'd end up with less bureaucracy as well, and your people would see as the just and good ruler you were.

At some point, though, new leaders of our hypothetical Croatia would emerge, which for one reason or another would require you to bring Croatia back into the fold.

I mean, the mechanisms are already there, I guess, and I'm bad enough at the game that I probably would need 500 years or more to build an empire anyways.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Black Griffon posted:

I mean, if there were greater incentives for splitting up your empire (basing this on what I've seen of my buddy playing EU4 and me playing CK2) that could lead to more organic rises and falls of empires (undulating empires?). You could give Croatia back to Croatian nationalists, for example, and end up with a strong a.f. ally if no bloodshed were involved. You'd end up with less bureaucracy as well, and your people would see as the just and good ruler you were.
A weak ruler letting the rabble decide his policies more like.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
In CK2 I think the later 1080something bookmark is actually the top secret start date everyone should use. Byzantium is no longer a blob, the HRE is out of Italy and William the Conquerer is actually ruling in England and isn't about to be bumped out by those uppity Anglo Saxons anytime soon.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Torrannor posted:

At least in CK2 some religions/governments are bound to gavelkind succession to split up their titles if the player doesn't game the system.
And a lot of the most fleshed out and popular strategies tend to be focused on "how do I make it not gavelkind as fast as I can" which is usually a bad sign when it comes to asking how much people are enjoying something. The best I've ever been able to do is drat it with faint praise in that a seething multigenerational gavelkind kingdom was some of the most fun I've had with CK2 and I still walked away from it feeling like I did something wrong to keep having to groundhogs day the kingdom back together after every ruler death.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dibujante posted:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This is why I would like to see failure states so interesting that players would intentionally choose them in certain cases. You get this with communism / fascism in Victoria, although I think this could be codified: Communism / Fascism could be redesigned as last-ditch efforts to dump prestige for industry / military in order to catch up to the leader of the pack (Great Britain).

In an EU4 context, it might be possible to design mechanisms that make losing parts of your empire a positive thing. Take a look at the Timurids, for example - they start in a fairly unenvious position. Historically they collapsed into feuding kingdoms. What if that were the right choice? You could say "gently caress it" and declare the disintegration of your empire, getting to pick the choicest same-culture, same-religion provinces and loot development / monarch points from the rest to boot. Rather than being stuck with Persia, you could jettison it and leave it poorer in doing so, for example. As well, with even more subject interactions, you could provide even some positive incentives for creating new vassals. For example, if it were possible to create a trade vassal who transferred x% of their trade income to you out of a bunch of high trade power provinces in a node that doesn't feed into your home node.
This is the kind of mechanism I would hope for. Something along the lines of how CKII+, back when Wiz was doing it, gave you definitive diminishing returns the larger your empire got. In an EU4 context that is somewhat covered by distant overseas, but it is an old mechanic that with updates/improvements could turn into much more, tied in with Autonomy. Then if you lose a chunk of land it could be a net gain by allowing your Autonomy floor to go down throughout the rest of your empire.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

Which they almost certainly will. Gavelkind is a perfect example of how hard it is to implement anti-blobbing mechanics that players will actually enjoy. I mean everyone HATES gavelkind. The first piece of advice given to new players is always "switch away from gavelkind ASAP".

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Bort Bortles posted:

This is the kind of mechanism I would hope for. Something along the lines of how CKII+, back when Wiz was doing it, gave you definitive diminishing returns the larger your empire got. In an EU4 context that is somewhat covered by distant overseas, but it is an old mechanic that with updates/improvements could turn into much more, tied in with Autonomy. Then if you lose a chunk of land it could be a net gain by allowing your Autonomy floor to go down throughout the rest of your empire.
[/quote]

You get a little bit of this in CK2 due to laws affecting an entire duchy/kingdom rather than one province. If EU4 had something vaguely analogous, you could get Interesting situations, where, say, two provinces in Austrian Hungary have gone protestant and are trying to rebel, but to raise their autonomy you need to raise all of Hungary's autonomy, which is a net loss to you... so you kick them out and let them get fend for themselves get eaten by the Ottomans. Or spin them off as a vassal / march. Historically, the Ottomans did exploit the supposed persecution of Hungarian Protestants to fracture Austrian Hungary.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

In CK2 I think the later 1080something bookmark is actually the top secret start date everyone should use. Byzantium is no longer a blob, the HRE is out of Italy and William the Conquerer is actually ruling in England and isn't about to be bumped out by those uppity Anglo Saxons anytime soon.

Yeah I'm surprised that people don't play CK2 out of the earliest bookmarks much, I play all over the place in that one. I think I only used the default 1066 one on my very first game.

EU4 on the other hand I've only done like twice. It really is the chicken/egg thing though- I've felt like playing later a whole bunch of times so I could get more established Spanish and Ottomans etc, but the 1444 date has had so much more care put into it which turns me off from using any of the others. Having to rejig ideas, catch up on tech, the whole world being sparse on buildings and development etc since the AI does all that pretty actively. It makes things feel a lot more dead.

Even then though it's meant to be a pretty huge amount of work to maintain the bookmarks? I'll be sad to see them go but I would definitely rather see the dev time put into other things personally.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

A weak ruler letting the rabble decide his policies more like.

Well it would mostly be so that you could throw Croatians at stuff until it's weak enough to mop up with your camel-army with no risk to your fancy princes.

Edit: also everyone should read this for camel-armies and fun history https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3731765&pagenumber=10&perpage=40

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

YF-23 posted:

It really doesn't feel like there's ever any reason to pick a later start date. You don't really gain something from any of them that you can't do in an earlier one, and you lose years of gameplay instead. The only exception I can think of is starting a couple years after the start of the Grand Campaign as Byzantium in EU3 for a better start. So I think there's a bit of a feedback loop in this where everyone plays the grand campaign, and any future development is only about that because that's what the game is.

The thing is, I *don't* lose years of gameplay, because I don't play to the end-date as is.

:(

Ty for the response!

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Which they almost certainly will. Gavelkind is a perfect example of how hard it is to implement anti-blobbing mechanics that players will actually enjoy. I mean everyone HATES gavelkind. The first piece of advice given to new players is always "switch away from gavelkind ASAP".

I quite like it as long as it doesn't create a massive blob inside the kingdom when my character's brothers die and their duchies all go to the same sibling

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Dibujante posted:

I really, really like this idea.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Koramei posted:

Yeah I'm surprised that people don't play CK2 out of the earliest bookmarks much, I play all over the place in that one. I think I only used the default 1066 one on my very first game.

CK2 is probably the only Paradox game where I've played at the later start dates frequently. The issue with playing EUIV at the later start dates is that by that time your national ideas are usually fixed in place, and so you don't have as much flexibility in expansion as in 1444. It may just be an issue that a state-based game rather than a character-based game will make players feel more "trapped" at later start dates.

At the same time, I wish that there was a dedicated EUIV bookmark for the Peace of Augsburg, since that is a pretty good starting position for a more "historical" game to occur: Protestantism and Reformism are entrenched, with each having a spare CoR if you want to also convert, Spain has a massive empire but North America is still uncolonized, Austria is dominant but doesn't have a PU over Spain anymore, the Ottomans are at the height of their European expansion, and the Mughals and Safavids are on the upswing.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Spiderfist Island posted:

CK2 is probably the only Paradox game where I've played at the later start dates frequently. The issue with playing EUIV at the later start dates is that by that time your national ideas are usually fixed in place, and so you don't have as much flexibility in expansion as in 1444. It may just be an issue that a state-based game rather than a character-based game will make players feel more "trapped" at later start dates.
Yeah I dont play the later start dates because of mainly ideas being locked, and I want to have as much time as I need to gently caress around.

Spiderfist Island posted:

At the same time, I wish that there was a dedicated EUIV bookmark for the Peace of Augsburg, since that is a pretty good starting position for a more "historical" game to occur: Protestantism and Reformism are entrenched, with each having a spare CoR if you want to also convert, Spain has a massive empire but North America is still uncolonized, Austria is dominant but doesn't have a PU over Spain anymore, the Ottomans are at the height of their European expansion, and the Mughals and Safavids are on the upswing.
This is what someone else said would be neat - instead of having the ability to pick ANY DAY between Nov 10 1444 and Dec 31 1820, it would instead be better if there were handpicked bookmarks that had as much care put into them as the earliest start day, like what you are talking about. I just started playing Ironman and if there was an achievement I could go for at a later start date and it was a fun scenario....I would definitely consider it. Especially if historic events were added/improved to make it feel more historical, but there were legitimate options for going a-historical (like it seems that HoI4 is building for).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Tuskin38 posted:

Ah I wish HOI4 was out now.

Well maybe not right now, it only just hit beta, but you know what I mean.

Yeah. Years of beta-testing games for free have taught me that while you're getting to play the game early (and for free), you're always better off just waiting for release and paying for the improved, non-hosed version.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

At some point, though, new leaders of our hypothetical Croatia would emerge, which for one reason or another would require you to bring Croatia back into the fold.

I mean, the mechanisms are already there, I guess, and I'm bad enough at the game that I probably would need 500 years or more to build an empire anyways.

GB is usually better off just keeping most of its dominions as puppets and sphere members instead as their territory on Vicky and there are a lot of events that endorse it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

The Alexiad start date is also the pro Byzantine start date, because Alp Arslan is dead and Alexios is a badass with great stats.