Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Guys, I hate to say it but, I don't like the Grateful Dead anymore.

I mean I love the actual "Grateful Dead", but this last "farewell" show and now touring with John Mayer has left a seriously bad taste in my mouth.

I don't hate John Mayer, but he's the anti-Jerry, he plays hack blues licks, his playing has no sense of experimentation.

This is just a lovely cash grab by old rich people who don't need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Hollis Brownsound posted:

I mean I love the actual "Grateful Dead", but this last "farewell" show and now touring with John Mayer has left a seriously bad taste in my mouth.

I don't hate John Mayer, but he's the anti-Jerry, he plays hack blues licks, his playing has no sense of experimentation.

wait, what is this?
But yeah, those shows in july sucked. But I saw the other ones a few years ago and they kinda ruled, so who knows.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

BigFactory posted:

wait, what is this?
But yeah, those shows in july sucked. But I saw the other ones a few years ago and they kinda ruled, so who knows.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/04/grateful-dead-planning-full-fledged-reunion-tour-with-john-mayer/

edit: maybe it all worth it for this though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqereOrTjrE

Hollis Brownsound fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 20, 2015

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Oteil Burbridge is pretty good I guess. Think I'll pass on msg, though.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Well, I mean considering how atrocious they were at money management I wouldn't be so sure of that.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

I respectfully disagree, I believe John Mayer is an accomplished guitarist who will be able to contribute to the Grateful Dead sound.

Listen to this guitar solo in "Morning Dew" when John Mayer played with Phil Lesh earlier this year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJLHb8G9Hug

John and Phil's version of "I Know You Rider" was pretty great as well. Here, John seems pretty humbled to be playing with Phil, thanking for fans accepting him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3Rk0YBJ4fc

I mean, sure, we could've had a better replacement for Trey (one guitarist that immediately comes to mind would be Warren Haynes), but this isn't a terrible choice. Of course, no one will be able to replace Jerry, but I'm still excited to see how Dead & Company sounds together. I'll be going to the show at the DCU Center in November.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
They should just throw Steve Kimock up there so he can nod off on stage.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

BigFactory posted:

They should just throw Steve Kimock up there so he can nod off on stage.

What, does he have the same issues that Jerry did?

Man I don't know what to think of this. You do a final tour, then turn right around and start touring again. Oh, wait, I see now, it's not as The Grateful Dead, it's under a different banner. At least they could have waited longer before hitting the road again.

Ah, what do I care, I didn't get to see them during their formative years, so it's not like it matters.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Planet X posted:

Man I don't know what to think of this. You do a final tour, then turn right around and start touring again. Oh, wait, I see now, it's not as The Grateful Dead, it's under a different banner. At least they could have waited longer before hitting the road again.

Ah, what do I care, I didn't get to see them during their formative years, so it's not like it matters.

I see where you're coming from here, but did they ever explicitly say that the Santa Fe and Chicago shows were the last shows they'd ever do? How is this any different from the other Grateful Dead projects like Furthur? Maybe the final shows made them want to play together again

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
The Dead have been failing to live up to grandiose promises since 1965. It's what they do.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
The July shows were fine. You don't go to a Dead show expecting them to perform well. You go to a Dead show hoping they pull off something special. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. It's the way they've always been.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I've been slacking, but an October '72 post is coming very soon.

facedesketernal
Oct 7, 2015

This is true but you can't really complain when they added a free show at MSG. The whole thing is heavily endorsed by American Express though it's clearly been about the money. They probably already made so much off of ticket sales that they want to try to clear this whole image by throwing a free one in there. Probably costs them a small fraction of what they made.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

facedesketernal posted:

This is true but you can't really complain when they added a free show at MSG. The whole thing is heavily endorsed by American Express though it's clearly been about the money. They probably already made so much off of ticket sales that they want to try to clear this whole image by throwing a free one in there. Probably costs them a small fraction of what they made.

Doesn't make the music any better. Getting rid of Phil is addition by subtraction though.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

I was THIS close to seeing Mayer's Dead but with no Phil, I don't see the point.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Noise Machine posted:

I was THIS close to seeing Mayer's Dead but with no Phil, I don't see the point.

He was the worst part of the shows over the summer.

facedesketernal
Oct 7, 2015
I think Phil would have been with them for it but he already has a bunch of shows scheduled at the Capitol Theatre in Port Chester.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

facedesketernal posted:

I think Phil would have been with them for it but he already has a bunch of shows scheduled at the Capitol Theatre in Port Chester.

Also he has cancer.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Happy Hippo posted:

Also he has cancer.

What's the cancer equivalent of getting a liver donated to you and then pounding heinekens on stage every night?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Here is a pretty good tape of the first Dead & Co. show:

https://archive.org/details/GD2015-10-29

Mayer's playing is pretty good but I would legitimately prefer to listen to Phil sing and that is not meant as a compliment to Phil

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
kindof a boring setlist. 1st set is ok but I can only imagine how slowed down half of those tunes are.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

1972: a very good year. Previously in this thread, I've examined the Dead's shows in April/May, June/July, August, and September. Now, let's have a look at October.

Fall 1972 was when the Dead really started to mix up their big jams, experimenting with all kinds of different combinations and transitions. In October, they liked to start jams with Truckin' before branching off in all sorts of directions:

10/02: Truckin'-> jam-> drums-> jam-> Morning Dew
10/19: Truckin'-> drums-> The Other One-> He's Gone-> The Other One
10/26: Truckin'-> Dark Star-> Sugar Magnolia
10/27: Truckin'-> The Other One-> Mississippi Half-Step-> Morning Dew

Those combos all look tasty, but as with any Dead month, there are a few excellent shows from October 1972 that stand above the rest, featuring the best sound, performance, and vibes. They are, in chronological order:

October 2, 1972 - Springfield, MA
This show has one of my favorite versions of Bird Song, really good renditions of Cumberland Blues and Uncle John's Band, and the aforementioned Truckin'-> Morning Dew jam. This sequence isn't the "best" improvisation from this period, but is very interesting in its own right, since it showcases the development of some ideas that would later find homes in the 1973-74 period.

October 18, 1972 - St. Louis, MO
This is definitely the best show from October. The sound comes together after about 5-6 songs, and the whole second set is an outstanding performance, culminating in the first Playing sandwich:
Playing In The Band-> drums-> Dark Star-> Morning Dew-> Playing In The Band

October 28, 1972 - Cleveland, OH
Just a very well played show overall, with nice versions of classics like China->Rider and He's Gone, and a pretty good Dark Star-> Sugar Magnolia.

There are also notable versions of Playing In The Band on October 17 and October 26.

Sadly, the Truckin' from the 27th has a cut about 3 minutes in, and there's another extremely unfortunate cut in the Sugar Mag coming out of Dark Star on the 28th. Even more unfortunate is the lack of good soundboard sources for the 21st, 23rd, 24th and 30th, especially the 24th and 30th, which seem to have excellent performances, but only exist as poor audience recordings.

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
The Second Meanest Man In The World

Juaguocio posted:

1972: a very good year. Previously in this thread, I've examined the Dead's shows in April/May, June/July, August, and September. Now, let's have a look at October.

Fall 1972 was when the Dead really started to mix up their big jams, experimenting with all kinds of different combinations and transitions. In October, they liked to start jams with Truckin' before branching off in all sorts of directions:

10/02: Truckin'-> jam-> drums-> jam-> Morning Dew
10/19: Truckin'-> drums-> The Other One-> He's Gone-> The Other One
10/26: Truckin'-> Dark Star-> Sugar Magnolia
10/27: Truckin'-> The Other One-> Mississippi Half-Step-> Morning Dew

Those combos all look tasty, but as with any Dead month, there are a few excellent shows from October 1972 that stand above the rest, featuring the best sound, performance, and vibes. They are, in chronological order:

October 2, 1972 - Springfield, MA
This show has one of my favorite versions of Bird Song, really good renditions of Cumberland Blues and Uncle John's Band, and the aforementioned Truckin'-> Morning Dew jam. This sequence isn't the "best" improvisation from this period, but is very interesting in its own right, since it showcases the development of some ideas that would later find homes in the 1973-74 period.

October 18, 1972 - St. Louis, MO
This is definitely the best show from October. The sound comes together after about 5-6 songs, and the whole second set is an outstanding performance, culminating in the first Playing sandwich:
Playing In The Band-> drums-> Dark Star-> Morning Dew-> Playing In The Band

October 28, 1972 - Cleveland, OH
Just a very well played show overall, with nice versions of classics like China->Rider and He's Gone, and a pretty good Dark Star-> Sugar Magnolia.

There are also notable versions of Playing In The Band on October 17 and October 26.

Sadly, the Truckin' from the 27th has a cut about 3 minutes in, and there's another extremely unfortunate cut in the Sugar Mag coming out of Dark Star on the 28th. Even more unfortunate is the lack of good soundboard sources for the 21st, 23rd, 24th and 30th, especially the 24th and 30th, which seem to have excellent performances, but only exist as poor audience recordings.

i just want to say i enjoy your effort posts. I have been on a download kick lately and will be listening to 10/2/72 tonight. Have you done a '74 overview? My favorite era is Europe '72 but I'll take any '72 '73' 74. This is not a high traffic thread, but I always watch for your posts.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Fall 73: They're all good get them all.

I haven't listened to much '74, I have those 3 warm up shows they did which are cool, it's always interesting to hear them work through new songs. And there's the 1 hour playing in the band as well.

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart

LordPants posted:

Fall 73: They're all good get them all.

I haven't listened to much '74, I have those 3 warm up shows they did which are cool, it's always interesting to hear them work through new songs. And there's the 1 hour playing in the band as well.

Seattle? HUB Auditorium? edit HEC Edmunson 5/21/74 or was it one of those Feb shows with a 1 hour Playin?

Septic Knothead fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 20, 2015

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Septic Knothead posted:

Seattle? HUB Auditorium? edit HEC Edmunson 5/21/74 or was it one of those Feb shows with a 1 hour Playin?

Yeah you're right, Seattle, and it's a 45 minute playing in the band, for some reason I thought it was an hour. :downs:

edit to add confusion my post was poorly structured and suggested that it was in one of the warm up shows. Ughhh this is what happens when I post before coffee.

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart

LordPants posted:

Yeah you're right, Seattle, and it's a 45 minute playing in the band, for some reason I thought it was an hour. :downs:

edit to add confusion my post was poorly structured and suggested that it was in one of the warm up shows. Ughhh this is what happens when I post before coffee.

yeah I have the Seattle show in my files somewhere, that Playin' is epic. I was thinking (hoping) there was another 1 hour Playin' I didn't know about

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Septic Knothead posted:

yeah I have the Seattle show in my files somewhere, that Playin' is epic. I was thinking (hoping) there was another 1 hour Playin' I didn't know about

Sorry :(

As this is a slow thread, can I post about the unloved 80s or is that going to horn in on your gig? I assume you're going to jet through the meaty 70s :)

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Septic Knothead posted:

i just want to say i enjoy your effort posts. I have been on a download kick lately and will be listening to 10/2/72 tonight. Have you done a '74 overview? My favorite era is Europe '72 but I'll take any '72 '73' 74. This is not a high traffic thread, but I always watch for your posts.

Thanks, I'm glad someone reads them. 72-74 is my favorite Dead era as well, and I hope to eventually listen to every show from this period. I'll definitely do a '74 post if I make it that far.

Up next, I'll either do November '72, or jump back in time and cover January-March. I have a hankering for some Pigpen, so the latter option will probably win out.

LordPants posted:

Sorry :(

As this is a slow thread, can I post about the unloved 80s or is that going to horn in on your gig? I assume you're going to jet through the meaty 70s :)

:justpost:

I'm not going to do 1976-79, so feel free to post about those years too.

Juaguocio fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 20, 2015

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I was reading the Rolling Stone article about Pigpen's death and in it they talked about a tape they found at his apartment, featuring a bunch of songs he recorded solo before his death. Does anyone know if this tape ever became available to the public and if so where I could listen to it?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

I was reading the Rolling Stone article about Pigpen's death and in it they talked about a tape they found at his apartment, featuring a bunch of songs he recorded solo before his death. Does anyone know if this tape ever became available to the public and if so where I could listen to it?

It's a super common bootleg and not that good.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

BigFactory posted:

It's a super common bootleg and not that good.

You're right, I probably should have looked a bit harder because I found it.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Dead & Company will be embarking on another tour this Summer! I'm not sure if anyone here managed to catch one of the shows last Fall, but I can confirm that this is an awesome group, having seen them at the DCU Center in Worcester. The second set was insane, starting off with Deal > Uncle John's Band > Estimated Prophet > Terrapin Station. John Mayer fits in well with the group, and only sings vocals on a few tunes.

Here's the tour dates:

Fri Jun 10 - Charlotte, NC PNC Music Pavilion
Thu Jun 16 - Cincinnati, OH Riverbend Music Center
Fri Jun 17 - Noblesville, IN Klipsch Music Center
Mon Jun 20 - Camden, NJ BB&T Pavilion
Tue Jun 21 - Saratoga Springs, NY Saratoga Performing Arts Center
Thu Jun 23 - Bristow, VA Jiffy Lube Live
Sat Jun 25 - Flushing, NY Citi Field
Sun Jun 26 - Flushing, NY Citi Field
Tue Jun 28 - Hartford, CT Xfinity Theatre
Sat Jul 02 - Boulder, CO Folsom Field
Sun Jul 03 - Boulder, CO Folsom Field
Thu Jul 07 - Detroit, MI DTE Energy Music Theatre
Sat Jul 09 - East Troy, WI Alpine Valley Music Theatre
Sun Jul 10 - East Troy, WI Alpine Valley Music Theatre
Wed Jul 13 - Pittsburgh, PA First Niagara Pavilion
Fri Jul 15 - Boston, MA Fenway Park
Sat Jul 16 - Boston, MA Fenway Park

URL - http://www.deadandcompany.com/

I'll probably go to the Friday, July 15th show at Fenway or the June 28th show in CT. Can't wait!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The National's 3 CD Grateful Dead tribute compilation album has been fully anounced now with tracklist, warning it's rpetty heavy on hip indie bands and even a pitchfork reading jerk like myself doesn't recognise all the names

quote:

Day of the Dead:

Thunder (Vol. 1):

01 The War on Drugs: "Touch of Grey"
02 Phosphorescent, Jenny Lewis & Friends: "Sugaree"
03 Jim James & Friends: "Candyman"
04 Moses Sumney, Jenny Lewis & Friends: "Cassidy"
05 Bruce Hornsby and DeYarmond Edison: "Black Muddy River"
06 Ed Droste, Binki Shapiro & Friends: "Loser"
07 The National: "Peggy-O"
08 Kurt Vile and the Violators: "Box of Rain" [ft. J Mascis]
09 Bonnie "Prince" Billy and Friends: "Rubin and Cherise"
10 Perfume Genius, Sharon Van Etten & Friends: "To Lay Me Down"
11 Courtney Barnett: "New Speedway Boogie"
12 Mumford & Sons: "Friend of the Devil"
13 Lucius: "Uncle John's Band"
14 The Lone Bellow & Friends: "Me and My Uncle"
15 Lee Ranaldo, Lisa Hannigan & Friends: "Mountains of the Moon"
16 Anohni and yMusic: "Black Peter"
17 Bryce Dessner: "Garcia Counterpoint"
18 Daniel Rossen, Christopher Bear and the National: "Terrapin Station (Suite)" [ft. Josh Kaufman, Conrad Doucette, So Percussion and Brooklyn Youth Chorus]
19 Angel Olsen: "Attics of My Life"
20 Wilco and Bob Weir: "St. Stephen (Live)"

Lightning (Vol. 2):

01 Bonnie "Prince" Billy: "If I Had the World to Give"
02 Phosphorescent & Friends: "Standing on the Moon"
03 Charles Bradley and Menahan Street Band: "Cumberland Blues"
04 Tallest Man on Earth & Friends: "Ship of Fools"
05 Bonnie "Prince" Billy & Friends: "Bird Song"
06 The National: "Morning Dew"
07 Marijuana Deathsquads: "Truckin'"
08 Cass McCombs, Joe Russo & Friends: "Dark Star"
09 Nightfall of Diamonds: "Nightfall of Diamonds"
10 Tim Hecker: "Transitive Refraction Axis for John Oswald"
11 Lucinda Williams & Friends: "Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad"
12 Tunde Adebimpe, Lee Ranaldo & Friends: "Playing in the Band"
13 Local Natives: "Stella Blue"
14 Tal National: "Eyes of the World"
15 Bela Fleck: "Help on the Way"
16 Orchestra Baobab: "Franklin's Tower"
17 Luluc With Xylouris White: "Till the Morning Comes"
18 The Walkmen: "Ripple"
19 Richard Reed Parry with Caroline Shaw and Little Scream: "Brokedown Palace" [ft. Garth Hudson]

Sunshine (Vol. 3):

01 Real Estate: "Here Comes Sunshine"
02 Unknown Mortal Orchestra: "Shakedown Street"
03 Hiss Golden Messenger: "Brown Eyed Woman"
04 This Is the Kit: "Jack-a-Roe"
05 Daniel Rossen and Christopher Bear: "High Time"
06 The Lone Bellow & Friends: "Dire Wolf"
07 Winston Marshall, Kodiak Blue and Shura: "Althea"
08 Orchestra Baobab: "Clementine Jam"
09 Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks: "China Cat Sunflower - I Know You Rider"
10 Bill Callahan: "Easy Wind"
11 Ira Kaplan & Friends: "Wharf Rat"
12 The Rileys (Terry and Gyan Riley): "Estimated Prophet"
13 Man Forever, So Percussion and Oneida: "Drums - Space"
14 hosed Up: "Cream Puff War"
15 The Flaming Lips: "Dark Star"
16 s t a r g a z e: "What's Become of the Baby"
17 Vijay Iyer: "King Solomon's Marbles"
18 Mina Tindle & Friends: "Rosemary"
19 Sam Amidon & Friends: "And We Bid You Goodnight"
20 The National With Bob Weir: "I Know You Rider (live)"

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I recognize like 5 of those artists, but Bela Fleck doing "Help On The Way" sounds pretty cool.

That reminds me- I was listening to Burning Spear's album Jah Kingdom, and while it's mostly bad early 90s reggae, there's an interesting cover of "Estimated Prophet": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOixoqg-1ZI

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Tim Hecker doing a Plunderphonics cover/tribute, nice.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://archive.org/stream/TheGratefulDeadFBI/The%20Grateful%20Dead%2001

Have a read of the Grateful Dead's FBI file.

It's 90% redacted, and is just a collection of every time they are mentioned, mostly in request for help from the DEA with LSD cases and such and so forth.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 28, 2016

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

LordPants posted:

https://archive.org/stream/TheGratefulDeadFBI/The%20Grateful%20Dead%2001

Have a read of the Grateful Dead's FBI file.

It's 90% redacted, and is just a collection of every time they are mentioned, mostly in request for help from the DEA with LSD cases and such and so forth.

This is great stuff. I just watched an excellent Independent Lens documentary on the Black Panthers, so I'm intrigued to see their name in connection with the Dead.
"It would appear that this is a rock group of some sort."

I'll make a March 1972 post soon. We've been blessed with Charlie Miller SBD sources for all the missing dates of the Academy Of Music run, so there are a ton of great tunes to choose from.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Juaguocio posted:

This is great stuff. I just watched an excellent Independent Lens documentary on the Black Panthers, so I'm intrigued to see their name in connection with the Dead.
"It would appear that this is a rock group of some sort."

I'll make a March 1972 post soon. We've been blessed with Charlie Miller SBD sources for all the missing dates of the Academy Of Music run, so there are a ton of great tunes to choose from.

I have or had (don't know where it is) that Dicks Pick from that run and it was gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

LordPants posted:

The National's 3 CD Grateful Dead tribute compilation album has been fully anounced now with tracklist, warning it's rpetty heavy on hip indie bands and even a pitchfork reading jerk like myself doesn't recognize all the names

Here's the first few of the tracks that have been released from this project:

The National - Morning Dew:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLVLCXgTx3o

The War on Drugs - Touch of Grey:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72OLupNWNho

Courtney Barnett - New Speedway Boogie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdaAQlmExmI

Phosphorescent, Jenny Lewis & Friends - Sugaree:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhver8g_KZc

Bruce Hornsby and DeYarmond Edison - Black Muddy River:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM-shsMngdw

Out the few released so far, I'm really liking The National's take on "Morning Dew". The War on Drugs cover of "Touch of Grey" sounds like Bob Dylan covering the Dead, but the chorus feels pretty off - it's pretty heavy on the synthesizers as well. The others are pretty good, but nothing truly "remarkable" yet.