Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BioEnchanted posted:

Double posting because the last post was more than a day old at this point:

Just finished the series now that I've seen Last day of Summer. Overall notes (encasing in spoilers as this series has more continuity than I knew): I quite liked the implications that the movie and the episode where Baljeet breaks up with Buford made, that Phineas is just as obsessive and shortsighted as Doofenshmirtz but doesn't have the baggage of a bad childhood: In Paris he didn't notice how frustrated Isabella was because he was too busy thinking of ways to use the attractions to hand to repair the plane, on the Desert Island with nothing to work with he completely falls apart, and (even though it's not as severe because he has his tools Baljeet is just forbidding him to use them) he has troubles on the mountain as well.

I enjoyed that Lawrence knew the scale of what the boys were doing in some episodes and found his relationship with them and his father pretty great. Also that by the end of the series, Linda had (unknowingly, she thought they would arrange the contractors, not build it themselves) made a request at her block party as well.

I liked the escalations of scale, by the end of the series the boys had been actively commissioned to work their miracles (The Extreme Waterpark, Vanessa's Halloween party). I love how the 10 years later (Act your Age) and 25 years later (Candace Time Travelling) play out for the boys, they'll excel when school restarts and keep doing so for the rest of their lives (because they'd have no excuse not to), get into so many great colleges they could literally decide their future's with a dart board, and then eventually be winning awards in Sweden and just generally keep Dieming every Carpe that comes along. I partially appreciate this because it's more satisfying than things like Dexter's Lab, where in his down time he would break the time space continuum easily but struggled with a basic maths test and result in a pathetic office job.

With Doofenshmirtz and Perry I love their relationship and how the plotline resolves with the conflict between LOVEMUFFIN and OWCA. I enjoyed the special where Rodney takes over the organization and escalates Doof's plans beyond their original scope (and Doof's line about "There is a fine distinction between Evil Scientist and Mad Scientist and we've just crossed that line. I don't want to rule over an endless winter, who in the world would find that desirable?") and Doof turning good so his daughter could work at OWCA was the only in character way to resolve that because she is the only person he would have given his entire lifestyle up for. (Also her calling him out on being not Evil but "A good person overcompensating for childhood trauma" was a pretty great way to give him the kick in the rear end he needed. I also liked how the future episodes showed how things would go - he'll be given a choice on how to atone, jail time or teaching, and he'll take teaching, then 10 years later be a happily retired man bowling with his old nemesis on tuesdays. I loved his last Inator as well for the "Oh did I set off the old inator-alert system? Oh how funny is that? Commander Carl must have been so spooked!" I also like that he was so content he had to Inator his way to a midlife crisis to fit in with his friends.

I enjoyed the episodes with Doof and Perry just hanging out, especially the one where they get stuck in the desert together. ("Oh, very clever Perry the Platypus, point my finger back at myself. So your saying that I'm the one holding me back? Fine! Let me do this my way with no interference from you and we'll see if I still fail." *Perry just stands back and gestures to the gate*)
I also loved when Doof got kidnapped Master Mystery (or whatever his name was) upset that Peter the Panda was thwarting Heinz on the side. Just for OWCA noticing their may have been foul play levied against Doof being the thing that got Perry to cut the briefing short and run right over. I really got the feeling that Perry just likes Heinz more than Francis despite working for Francis, probably because he has more rapport with Heinz. Also Heinz adivsing Mystery on how to repair his relationship with his nemesis was so :kimchi:

Night of the Living Pharmacists was pretty funny. *After Heinz's repulsinator, designed to make things hideous, turns his brother into him* "Oh, of course, that's the Universe's little joke on me. Very funny universe!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnY1oJuQzic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

I clicked on this while on my iPad to see if you linked to a specific time and now even after I flicked away the audio won't stop playing.

H E L P

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Lady Naga posted:

I clicked on this while on my iPad to see if you linked to a specific time and now even after I flicked away the audio won't stop playing.

H E L P

Sounds like you're a google music subscriber???? Or just lucky I guess.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Bass Bottles posted:

Sounds like you're a google music subscriber???? Or just lucky I guess.

I muted it and eventually the app crashed, freeing me from the horrible YouTube cartoon opinion man. It's hosed up that this has probably caused more grief for me than it did the guy who posted the government documents worth of redacted opinions on Phineas and Ferb.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Lady Naga posted:

I muted it and eventually the app crashed, freeing me from the horrible YouTube cartoon opinion man. It's hosed up that this has probably caused more grief for me than it did the guy who posted the government documents worth of redacted opinions on Phineas and Ferb.

I spoilered it because other people have mentioned that they are watching it as well, but I had a lot to say now that I had all of the context that the show was going to give me.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Jesus, it's Phineaus & Ferb, not Lost or something. Did all of that have to be spoiler-text?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

El Tortuga posted:

Jesus, it's Phineaus & Ferb, not Lost or something. Did all of that have to be spoiler-text?

A lot of it is late-game character development that earlier episodes don't hint at even existing, so I figured that some people may not want to know ahead of time that the show ends with the villain turning good so that his daughter can join his rival organisation. Figured it was common courtesy.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

BioEnchanted posted:

A lot of it is late-game character development that earlier episodes don't hint at even existing, so I figured that some people may not want to know ahead of time that the show ends with the villain turning good so that his daughter can join his rival organisation. Figured it was common courtesy.

Well *I* appreciated the courtesy, even though I'd already seen the whole series.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
In the Phineas and Ferb Cliptastic Musical Countdown, how the hell did Backyard Beach and Gitchee Gitchee Goo get rated higher than Busted? Or S.I.M.P for that matter.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lol @ this guy

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Watched the whole thing.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

BTW There was a P+F background gag I really enjoyed during The Inator Method on the presentation. In one of the shots during the fight the projector says "10 ways to avoid thwarting yourself" :3:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Here''s your first look at the new Powerpuff Girls series.

I can dig it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I personally ultra-look forward to the show because i can't wait for idiots to theorycraft and overanalyze everything, the bronification of its fandom, creepy weirdos to come out the woodwork making awful posts about the main characters, and basically everyone to get all tumblr about a cartoon I just loved as a kid because it ruled

show looks good but jesus christ the TVIV thread is gonna be the worst

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Their designs are basically unchanged so I have no complaints there, but I really wish the art style itself hadn't changed. The show really popped with the big thick lines they used for everything, and in contrast the art shown here seems really weak.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't see it as too big a departure other than the thin lines and more rounded edges on characters. It just seems like a natural evolution of the original artstyle for a modern landscape.

Also, commercials with more footage started airing today. The show starts in April and it looks like the girls have Green Lantern powers.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Slowly but surely edging toward every Cartoon Network show having the exact same art style.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

The thick black outlines worked in SD but I think this is the proper direction for an HD series. In HD they'd make it look like a clunky Flash cartoon.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Heh, saving a hippy festival from a chauvinist redneck. Subtle.

I was bothered by how many whipcracks played when redneck was posing.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Bass Bottles posted:

The thick black outlines worked in SD but I think this is the proper direction for an HD series. In HD they'd make it look like a clunky Flash cartoon.

What

Not if they don't move like a flash cartoon.

It worked perfectly fine in the PPG movie

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Macaluso posted:

What

Not if they don't move like a flash cartoon.

It worked perfectly fine in the PPG movie

It's just that thick outlines are a common way for amateur artists to hide poor line art, so I associate them with bad flash cartoons I guess.

But I dunno, I feel like this looks more modern. Thinner outlines help them to match better with more detailed backgrounds.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Sleeveless posted:

Slowly but surely edging toward every Cartoon Network show having the exact same art style.

Yeah. I know when PPG originally aired a lot of the shows had a similar style but I'm not a fan of it with this style. With the girls sticking closely to their original design, it looks like a crossover episode or something.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Bass Bottles posted:

It's just that thick outlines are a common way for amateur artists to hide poor line art, so I associate them with bad flash cartoons I guess.

But I dunno, I feel like this looks more modern. Thinner outlines help them to match better with more detailed backgrounds.

The thing is Powerpuff Girls didn't look modern even at the time. It was deliberately going for a retro/Fifties look.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm just glad it doesn't look like the hideous special from a few years ago.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I liked the ultra-bright paper-mache look from the special, it was wildly different but felt very much like a take at the concept of the professor and the girl's 50s aesthetic.

This... yeah the girls with thin lineart is something I could get used to but the rest looks super similar to other CN shows, just isn't that unique and the animation proper looks a bit slow, not much impact going on.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I don't like new Buttercup's voice. I guess that's my only opinion.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

TwoPair posted:

It sounded weird to me too, but I think that's probably only because I'm so used to the old one that the new one sounds off to me. I figure I'll get used to it and it'll sound better eventually.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Are there any returning voice actors? The commercial I saw had Him and Mojo, but they were only laughing so I couldn't tell if it was the same people.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Yeah that was weird to me. Im not used to cartoon characters getting new voices that don't try to mimic the original as closely as possible.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess it's the first time that a series is brought back from the dead that's always the hardest. If Cartoon Network plays this right, they might be able to make the Powerpuff Girls into one of those immortal IPs that just keeps coming back, like Scooby Doo, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, or Transformers.

For better or worse.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Well in that case it's not QUITE the first time its come back from the dead to a full series unless we continue to pretend Powerpuff Girls Z did not exist. Actually yknow what lets do that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You can't do that if you reminded me of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fo-8LkzC9U

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Acne Rain posted:

Well in that case it's not QUITE the first time its come back from the dead to a full series unless we continue to pretend Powerpuff Girls Z did not exist. Actually yknow what lets do that.

If anything, that just makes it more like TMNT or Transformers.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Acne Rain posted:

To be fair, anime spinoff a rarely count.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I hope the show at least stays comedic and episodic, not everything has to be serialized and have a mythology built into it these days.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

I hope the show at least stays comedic and episodic, not everything has to be serialized and have a mythology built into it these days.

i am a garbage human monster who thinks that stuff is fun and cool but i am like 99.9% sure you're gonna get your wish

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

You can't do that if you reminded me of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWUP5QxdwPg

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Bass Bottles posted:

i am a garbage human monster who thinks that stuff is fun and cool but i am like 99.9% sure you're gonna get your wish

I am the traumatized soul who can't imagine a serious myth arc based Powerpuff Girls without remembering Bleedman and Deviantart.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

mycot posted:

I am the traumatized soul who can't imagine a serious myth arc based Powerpuff Girls without remembering Bleedman and Deviantart.

oh my god hahaha I had forgotten about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Bass Bottles posted:

oh my god hahaha I had forgotten about that

Mandy did 9/11