Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Nakar posted:

Why is Stress Eater a thing but there's no Hungry affliction where the afflicted character occasionally passes a turn to cram food in his face or attempt to eat Deeds?

The closest thing is probably the Sitiomania quirk, where your character will automatically loot random animal corpses and eat the contents.

Node posted:

I take it Drinking is the "Oops, I lost my trinket" stress reliever. Since it is the cheapest tavern option.

Gambling can cause you to lose a trinket too, although you can also gain one. The Abbey's stress relief options are generally less likely to gently caress you over: the worst they can do is give you quirks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

abardam posted:

you guys are mean :saddowns:

i get hungry when i'm stressed!

:perfect:

My thoughts on Miron.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
The alcohol obsession quirk is pretty amusing since apparently the body carts in the warrens are alcoholic.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Thuryl posted:

The closest thing is probably the Sitiomania quirk, where your character will automatically loot random animal corpses and eat the contents.

Gambling can cause you to lose a trinket too, although you can also gain one. The Abbey's stress relief options are generally less likely to gently caress you over: the worst they can do is give you quirks.

To be fair some of the quirks from the abbey are more lovely than they appear. They tend to be things like "less dmg on round 1" when round 1 is where you want your highest spd and dmg to alpha strike the monsters. I know that they can drop straight gold as well, which shouldn't normally be a problem but if someone is cutting the margins close it could be an issue.

That said I tend to use the abbey much more than the tavern, if only because I'm more likely to have busts to spend than portraits. I also don't know chances of bad stress relief results, but I'd imagine the more expensive options have lower chances.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thuryl posted:

TGambling can cause you to lose a trinket too, although you can also gain one. The Abbey's stress relief options are generally less likely to gently caress you over: the worst they can do is give you quirks.

The Abbey options can also cause your characters to gently caress off for weeks at a time (though the Tavern can do that too). Still better than losing a trinket.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

My inability to come up with a good Miron joke has been eating away at me all day.

:golfclap:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
GODDAMMIT MCDOWELL

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

DAZED. REELING. ABOUT TO BREAK.

http://imgur.com/Av2mwkx

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MinibarMatchman posted:

gently caress, all this time I've been saying good things about the game for free like a sucker. Where's my bag of Jew money?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
As I recall from certain NG+ writeups the best choices are Prayer in the Abbey and Gambling in the Tavern, in spite of its risks, because they don't have negative Quirk outcomes. Every stress relief facility has a chance of giving the character the Quirk that prevents them from using it or makes them reliant on it, and can cause a week's disappearance, but there are other really bad outcomes:
  • The Bar can give a character a -10 Dodge penalty for an entire week, or cost you a little money. They can also lose a trinket.
  • The Gambling Hall has the same downsides of losing money or a trinket as the Bar, but the character can't get a debuff or combat-related Quirk and can win gold or a trinket just as much as they can lose one.
  • The Brothel can give a week-long -5 Speed penalty, or Syphilis. There is a small chance of a +5 Speed buff though.
  • The Cloister can grant the Balanced (+15% Move Resist) Quirk as a positive, but that's not that good, while it can also give Calm (-15% DMG First Round), which is godawful. Characters can also refuse to leave for the week or lose you some money.
  • The Transept can only lose you some money or grant the character God Fearing or Witness.
  • The Penance Hall can buff a character's damage for the week, but characters can get debuffed or refuse to leave or even gain Faithless, which prevents both flagellation and prayer.
Based on avoiding negative outcomes, the Transept (prayer) is the best, then the Gambling Hall (because the negative is offset by the positive outcomes).

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Nakar posted:

As I recall from certain NG+ writeups the best choices are Prayer in the Abbey and Gambling in the Tavern, in spite of its risks, because they don't have negative Quirk outcomes. Every stress relief facility has a chance of giving the character the Quirk that prevents them from using it or makes them reliant on it, and can cause a week's disappearance, but there are other really bad outcomes:
  • The Bar can give a character a -10 Dodge penalty for an entire week, or cost you a little money. They can also lose a trinket.
  • The Gambling Hall has the same downsides of losing money or a trinket as the Bar, but the character can't get a debuff or combat-related Quirk and can win gold or a trinket just as much as they can lose one.
  • The Brothel can give a week-long -5 Speed penalty, or Syphilis. There is a small chance of a +5 Speed buff though.
  • The Cloister can grant the Balanced (+15% Move Resist) Quirk as a positive, but that's not that good, while it can also give Calm (-15% DMG First Round), which is godawful. Characters can also refuse to leave for the week or lose you some money.
  • The Transept can only lose you some money or grant the character God Fearing or Witness.
  • The Penance Hall can buff a character's damage for the week, but characters can get debuffed or refuse to leave or even gain Faithless, which prevents both flagellation and prayer.
Based on avoiding negative outcomes, the Transept (prayer) is the best, then the Gambling Hall (because the negative is offset by the positive outcomes).

You can't lose money in the Cloister, and it also has a lower chance of getting someone stuck than the Transept does. It's definitely the go-to option for characters that don't really care about Calm, like plague doctors and debatably houndmaster/vestal.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

docbeard posted:

The Abbey options can also cause your characters to gently caress off for weeks at a time (though the Tavern can do that too). Still better than losing a trinket.

Funny thing is that this is only a thing because you can sell trinkets. Back when you always had hundreds of junk trinkets this was a much smaller concern.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Onmi posted:

"Oh hey I'm coming to a room with injuries and food remaining and it's the last room. Rather than top up lets run in!"

"Oh hey my Plague Doctor is on deaths door with blight, lets not heal that."

You drive me nuts Deck.

I want to save my gold! My gold man!

Flirting with death is the best! She's the best lay.

I'm bad, okay. :unsmith:

MinibarMatchman posted:

Is this that crazy dude who spammed the Dev's constantly? Because holy hell.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Every dev has their methodis

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Deckit posted:

I want to save my gold! My gold man!

Flirting with death is the best! She's the best lay.

I'm bad, okay. :unsmith:

same guy lol

Deckit posted:

This game is so god drat easy. Hnnnnn, oh god champion level soon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qcuisujU_o

Man if only the houndmaster had come out when I first fought the Flesh, those bleed stacks really make the fight so much easier.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Deckit posted:

Not just the developers. I put up a review of Darkest Dungeon on Steam last summer, and he spent maybe a week copy-pasting the same insane rant into the comments, over and over again as I would delete them. A few weeks ago I saw he had a discussion in the general Steam forums about "How can we stop developer censorship" that is solely about his crusade against Red Hook.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Miron so fat jokes are the savior of this thread

Please never stop

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Miron so fat the goblet skeletons ran out of wine

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Zombie Samurai posted:

Miron so fat the goblet skeletons ran out of wine

Miron so fat getting hit by tempting goblet destresses him

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Miron and McDowell should form an incompetence party

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees
Miron so fat, I thought the first quest in the Darkest Dungeon was about killing him.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
miron so fat he's really fat

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Miron so fat he asked the Inchoate Flesh for diet advice

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Miron so fat you need scouting just to see in front of him

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Gabriel Pope posted:

You can't lose money in the Cloister, and it also has a lower chance of getting someone stuck than the Transept does. It's definitely the go-to option for characters that don't really care about Calm, like plague doctors and debatably houndmaster/vestal.
I went ahead and looked this up in the game files.
  • Meditation has a 40% chance of a side effect, which can be any one of (with an apparent equal chance): Refusing to leave, go missing for 1/2 weeks (75%/25%), gain Enlightened, gain Balanced, gain Meditator, gain Calm, gain Unquiet Mind.
  • Prayer has a 35% chance of a side effect, which can be any one of: Refusing to leave, go missing for 1/2 weeks (75%/25%), gain God Fearing, gain Witness, lose 1000 gold.
  • Flagellation has a 30% chance of a side effect, which can be any one of: Refusing to leave, go missing for 1/2 weeks (75%/25%), gain Flagellant, gain Faithless, gain a DMG buff for a week, gain a DMG debuff for a week.
So you have a 2/5 chance when Meditating to have something happen and a 3/7 chance of something that happens being really bad, or about 17%. You have a 7/20 chance when Praying and a 2/5 chance of it being really bad, or about 14%. You have a 3/10 chance when Flagellating to have something happen and a 1/2 chance of it being bad, or about 15%. Prayer doesn't have the chance of an upside (Balanced or the +DMG buff from Flagellation), but destresses better than Meditation and is cheaper than Flagellation. And it's faster and cheaper to lose 1000 gold than it is to get Calm and spend 1500 and a week removing it. The only exception would be Plague Doctors who are most likely Stunning or Blighting things turn one, but I would never allow Calm on a Houndmaster or Vestal.

The Tavern follows the same basic pattern, 40% for Bar, 35% for Gambling, 30% for Brothel, and all of them can cause characters to go missing or refuse to leave or gain quirks that force them to go to the place or refuse to leave it. The Bar can also debuff a character's Accuracy or Dodge for a week, lose you 500 gold, or lose a trinket. Gambling Hall can cost or gain 500 gold, lose a trinket, or gain any trinket up to a Very Rare. The Brothel can give Syphilis, buff Speed, or debuff Speed. Curing diseases is pretty cheap so I suppose the Brothel is the best choice if you really, really don't want to lose trinkets, but -5 SPD is brutal and is basically as bad as locking a character out for a week at Champion tier. The Gambling Hall offers the best mitigating chance, as it's equally likely you gain a trinket as lose one and if the game chooses the money option it's a 50/50 on whether you get 500 or lose it; totalled out there's like a 4% chance of losing a trinket at Gambling and a 6% at the Bar, versus a 9% chance of getting a debuff or Syphilis at the Brothel. And you have about a 6.5% chance of gaining at Gambling (either a trinket or 500 gold). Most of the time you just get something dumb like Bad Gambler or Love Interest though.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 12, 2016

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

abardam posted:

you guys are mean :saddowns:

i get hungry when i'm stressed!

This man understands that food and life are one and the same.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Miron so fat when he's in front every room is a secret room

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
THAT'S WHAT YOU GET, MCDOWELL. THAT'S WHAT YOU GET

So, uh, how the hell are you supposed to do Lighting The Way

I made it to the first boss, a Templar Warlord, with full health and no stress

He proceeded to double revalation the one person with no torch, bringing them to death's door, and meanwhile his hounds dodged the first five attacks sent their way. He resisted any stuns and blights despite having very high stun/blight chance, and by the time I'd killed him, he'd killed my vestal and a leper. And there's three of these fuckers in this mission, in addition to some real, real nasty buggers along the way.

I'm kinda wondering how you're even supposed to beat this mission. My dudes were maxed out with great traits, great trinkets alongside the torches, and yet they completely withered in the face of a single one of three bosses you need to face to finish it. I brought along all the requisites, bandages, antivenom, holy water, etc, didn't really help.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Miron so fat the enemy needs Scouting trinkets to attack the rest of the party.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
you did bring the trinkets right

edit: it appears you did, disregard

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Afraid of Audio posted:

you did bring the trinkets right
Yes, I said as much

Since you only get three, the one who didn't have one of course got focused on by the first two Revalations

edit: I just looked it up and one of the fights is both bosses at once. :lol:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Yeah there are actually four Templars. One of the three fights is a pair of them.

This is probably a good place to bring a Slot 4 Man-at-Arms or a Dodge-heavy Houndmaster. Put one torch on them, Guard the other guy. You'll have to outspeed the Templars though.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
You basically have to have a HM or MaA to use the guard ability and protect the nontrinket person.

Someone also suggested clearing paths to each room before clearing any of the Templar rooms.

edit: Does anyone use any of the crazy Kickstarter trinkets? There's plenty with +spd and no downsides and it makes things silly. Also the best +resolve xp trinkets are the backer ones.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Nakar posted:

I went ahead and looked this up in the game files.

What are the base stress heal values for the different activities, if you don't mind me asking? I only ever Flagellate people because I don't treat anyone until they're afflicted and in that situation I want the most bang for the buck.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Jeez you guys are gonna give Miron bulimia if you don't cut it out. Oh, nevermind, too late, he just caught it while scrounging through some desiccated human remains for food scraps. Carry on.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Another possibility would be to bring the -20% Stress Damage Quirks for Beasts and Eldritch, as Templars are considered both. Revelation would immediately drop to +24 Stress instead of +40. Drop a Book of Sanity on the non-torch guy and they'd only get +16. If your non-torch dude were a Jester he could basically heal Revelation's Stress every turn with his stress heal. You'd still have to deal with the damage though.

Zombie Samurai posted:

What are the base stress heal values for the different activities, if you don't mind me asking? I only ever Flagellate people because I don't treat anyone until they're afflicted and in that situation I want the most bang for the buck.
Depends on the upgrade level:
  • Bar/Cloister: 45/56/70
  • Gambling Hall/Transept: 55/69/86
  • Brothel/Whippin' Hole: 65/81/100
They all appear to have a 100% chance to cure Afflictions, so even if a character had so much Stress that they weren't healed down to zero they'll still lose the Affliction after treatment.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MacheteZombie posted:

You basically have to have a HM or MaA to use the guard ability and protect the nontrinket person.

Someone also suggested clearing paths to each room before clearing any of the Templar rooms.
Well I mean I entered the fight with full health and no stress. I was killing the prior fights before they could do anything most of the time.

If you are forced to bring one of two specific classes to guard the one without a trinket just so they don't get gibbed by Revalation, that is bad game design

I'd like to hear what folks who have beaten it did.

edit:

Nakar posted:

Another possibility would be to bring the -20% Stress Damage Quirks for Beasts and Eldritch, as Templars are considered both. Revelation would immediately drop to +24 Stress instead of +40. Drop a Book of Sanity on the non-torch guy and they'd only get +16. If your non-torch dude were a Jester he could basically heal Revelation's Stress every turn with his stress heal. You'd still have to deal with the damage though.
the stress didn't even matter because she was dead before it would've done anything. Revelation first turn did 34 damage, she healed herself for 14, second turn did another 34 damage, and then he did the AOE blight stinger attack and killed her, basically nothing I could've done

If the answer is seriously "bring a man at arms or houndmaster to babysit" then that is just terrible

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 12, 2016

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Oh also Virtue Chance could do it, I guess. They'd be getting hit by Revelation and in 3 turns would (hopefully) Virtue up and drop to like 40 Stress, and I don't think Virtuous characters can get Heart Attacks anymore. So as long as they can sponge the damage Revelation won't hurt them if they pop a Virtue.

EDIT: According to the Wiki and the game files, the base damage on Revelation is 16-26, and Revelation cannot crit. How are you taking 30+ damage from it?

Nakar fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 12, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I'd like to hear what folks who have beaten it did.

I've beaten it, and I did take a MaA to guard the non-trinket wearer. Which was my Occultist.

It's pretty much the only instance in the game where they force you to bring a specific class/skill, and that's fine imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
For Lighting the Way, I brought along a 2nd-position Man-at-Arms, and had a fourth-row Arbalest as the character without a talisman. My party, Arb-Occ-MaA-Hellion, was pretty well optimized for damage. I think there was a round or two where my Arbalest was vulnerable to revelation, but maybe I got lucky. The back ranks take somewhat less in the way of damage in general from enemies, and the Arbalest is pretty tanky for a back-row character. I'm not sure that there is a strategy that will make the templar fights not potentially devastating, even the thread-recommended "use good camp buffs for every fight by scouting out the path between two of the fights before doing either".