Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Turdsdown Tom posted:

absolutely not, in fact it is better described as being in charlie

i am really looking forward to the Redstone update though. even if it does have a pretty terrible name

Bring the Widgets... Err Windows Gadgets back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Also, Microsoft needs to finally enable WinRT apps outside the stupid WinStore sandbox. Maybe then that API finally gains some traction.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Microsoft just needs to stop trying to make the Windows Store happen entirely. It's a cesspool.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

biznatchio posted:

Microsoft just needs to stop trying to make the Windows Store happen entirely. It's a cesspool.

Yea, I have no idea how the hell it even exists in it's current state.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
In theory the Windows Store is a great idea. In theory. I love Windows 10 but there's so much that needs polishing. UI alone (For the entirety of Windows) needs an overhaul because it does not look like a modern OS. Functionally it's fine, but visually it's a mess.

The Store is the same, except even the functionality needs work. In theory having your most used apps across devices all in one place for updates and the like is a great idea. No more juggling eighteen installers to keep the bare minimum updated. But in use, yeah, it's a mess. I honestly hope Microsoft really puts the effort into making the Store and 10 in general into what it really could be.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you login with a non-microsoft login and remove the built in apps from the start menu, Win10 behaves almost exactly the same as Win7. Castrating the system by not using a microsoft ID/login chokes the life out of the whole cloud networking experience microsoft is trying to ram down your throat.

Win 10 is going to be a loving awesome OS in about two years. To the guy asking if it's out of beta yet, "sorta".

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

biznatchio posted:

Its supposed to be a major revenue driver. It's not going away anytime soon.
Which is fine, because devs and customers aren't coming around anytime soon either.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

ilkhan posted:

Its supposed to be a major revenue driver. It's not going away anytime soon.
Which is fine, because devs and customers aren't coming around anytime soon either.

I know their plan was to make Windows 10 free (and the updated-forever 'last version of Windows') and make up the revenue from the store and the like, but at what point do they accept that's simply not going to work and start drawing up plans for a traditional-retail Windows 11 and push people to it? And will they still have the market power to do so by then?

I mean, not even Apple could make a desktop-OS app store successful. Surely Microsoft has to have already seen the the writing on the wall.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
It doesn't really matter whether upgrades are free or not, almost all Windows revenue comes from OEMs and corporates both of which are completely unaffected by the change.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

dissss posted:

It doesn't really matter whether upgrades are free or not, almost all Windows revenue comes from OEMs and corporates both of which are completely unaffected by the change.

Yeah this, people generally don't go out and buy retail versions of Windows, they just get the versions that come with their computer. Microsoft essentially just gave away a very tiny sliver of Windows revenue.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Microsoft has made major investments in a technology/language called Typescript which is based on (a subscript of) javascript/node.js and if the stars align correctly, their next move will be to replace the WinRT stuff with Typescript-based apps (and most node.js apps will work out of the box in the windows store with not much more than adding an extra library)

Keep throwing poo poo at the wall, eventually something will stick. Closing down the store means they lose all traction, better to keep it open and do a major rebranding effort, than start over from scratch (again).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

biznatchio posted:

I know their plan was to make Windows 10 free (and the updated-forever 'last version of Windows') and make up the revenue from the store and the like, but at what point do they accept that's simply not going to work and start drawing up plans for a traditional-retail Windows 11 and push people to it? And will they still have the market power to do so by then?

I mean, not even Apple could make a desktop-OS app store successful. Surely Microsoft has to have already seen the the writing on the wall.
What dsss said, they still get paid by the OEMs for windows. So never.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

ilkhan posted:

What dsss said, they still get paid by the OEMs for windows. So never.

Also if they were legit worried about losing market share they could probably literally make it free (with Microsoft account) forever "pick up disks for all your friends" for home users to preserve small business and enterprise market share through familiarity. Pro would obviously still cost money.

Until companies realize they don't actually go much beyond the bounds of Google Apps or Zoho or web b2b financial/marketing service of the week except on the back-end (which isn't Windows-dependent nearly as often as you'd think).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 12, 2016

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I actually used the Store to buy Rise of the Tomb Raider (if you set your region to Ukraine, you could get it for £7 as opposed to £40 or whatever) and oh boy, the Store is not ready for big 'apps' like that, especially when it comes to patching.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Haha, apparently whatever URLs you surf in the private mode of Edge turn up in the regular browser history. Just tried it before posting this. Jesus loving Christ, I hope this sort of incompetency doesn't happen in the kernel group.

Just tried before posting this and they don't. (using the regular build)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

biznatchio posted:

This was never the plan. The only thing that's free is upgrading from 7 or 8, and that's only free until next August, and it's only free to upgrade to the matching version (if you want to go Win 7/8 Home to 10 Pro you need to pay). The boxed retail copies cost money, the upgrades at stores cost money, and the OEMs have been paying license fees to have it as well.

Also lol "will they have the market power", like what do you think is going to happen? Apple finally breaks the 15% OS share barrier for the first time since the Mac came out? (they're currently around 6%) Linux actually takes off with non-nerds?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

fishmech posted:

This was never the plan. The only thing that's free is upgrading from 7 or 8, and that's only free until next August, and it's only free to upgrade to the matching version (if you want to go Win 7/8 Home to 10 Pro you need to pay). The boxed retail copies cost money, the upgrades at stores cost money, and the OEMs have been paying license fees to have it as well.

Also lol "will they have the market power", like what do you think is going to happen? Apple finally breaks the 15% OS share barrier for the first time since the Mac came out? (they're currently around 6%) Linux actually takes off with non-nerds?

Hypothetical? The general public settles for iPads and Chromebooks (and similars/successors) because they largely don't care about what general-purpose computing offers.

At that point Microsoft might make Windows straight cash free for home users partly in a vain hope to drive paying traffic to their app store but mostly because they don't want people demanding to work from iPads and Chromebooks at work. OEMs on the other hand might still have to pay - slightly less because of negotiation leverage - but they will because the general public mostly isn't going to buy (or if they're really cheap, will buy and then promptly return the everloving poo poo out of) computers with no OS, or the kind of setup Windows involves (not much by our standards bu~~~~~t), or 'that weird thing with the ripoff interface and the occasional penguin'.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

Bring the Widgets... Err Windows Gadgets back!

I could have sworn I read somewhere that they were bringing them back, but now I can't find anything about it for Windows 10...

Hadlock posted:

If you login with a non-microsoft login and remove the built in apps from the start menu, Win10 behaves almost exactly the same as Win7. Castrating the system by not using a microsoft ID/login chokes the life out of the whole cloud networking experience microsoft is trying to ram down your throat.

Win 10 is going to be a loving awesome OS in about two years. To the guy asking if it's out of beta yet, "sorta".

I never use a name/password to log in to my computers, and I don't have a Microsoft account, so I guess I've missed out on the more frustrating half of the Windows 10 Experience. Lucky me?

MikusR posted:

Re Edge Private Browsing: It was fixed in the most recent update. MS mentioned it in their Release Notes.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

MikusR posted:

I don't know what you're doing, plenty of people report it happening and I can reliably reproduce it.

Not that it matters to me, since I don't use Edge, but this is one of their apps they're so gung-ho about promoting, I find it completely puzzling that such things happen to begin with. Microsoft's been all proud about their software design testing in the past, now poo poo like this slips through the cracks. Makes you wonder about the rest of the system.

Kheldarn posted:

Re Edge Private Browsing: It was fixed in the most recent update. MS mentioned it in their Release Notes.
Not properly it seems? I still can do it.

Your device is up to date. Last checked: Today, ‏‎15:46

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Junkenstein posted:

I actually used the Store to buy Rise of the Tomb Raider (if you set your region to Ukraine, you could get it for £7 as opposed to £40 or whatever) and oh boy, the Store is not ready for big 'apps' like that, especially when it comes to patching.

Can't wait to see how Quantum Break handles in the store! :shepicide:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Hypothetical? The general public settles for iPads and Chromebooks (and similars/successors) because they largely don't care about what general-purpose computing offers.

They actually don't. The general public has both those and a regular computer, and simply buys regular computers slightly less often, which is typical for a mature and saturated market segment. Those things end up being "companion" devices instead of "replacement" devices.

The much vaunted decline in regular computers still leaves us with a million regular computers sold every day or so.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Combat Pretzel posted:

Also, Microsoft needs to finally enable WinRT apps outside the stupid WinStore sandbox. Maybe then that API finally gains some traction.

What are you talking about? This is already possible. You don't need to be a store app to use the new APIs.

biznatchio posted:

Just don't use it then? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Factor Mystic posted:

What are you talking about? This is already possible. You don't need to be a store app to use the new APIs.
The whole Windows.UI namespace is pretty much excluded from that, because the API to actually create a window is not available publicly. Here you have this perfect replacement for WPF, and you can't use it because ~*~WINDOWS STORE~*~.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 12, 2016

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
Is there seriously no way to prevent Windows 10 from changing my Synaptics touchpad to a PS2 mouse? Every single update I need to reinstall the driver.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

el_caballo posted:

Is there seriously no way to prevent Windows 10 from changing my Synaptics touchpad to a PS2 mouse? Every single update I need to reinstall the driver.
Disable the Windows Update service or roll back to Windows 8.1.

I think those are kinda the only options right now.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Might give their own tool a try. Not sure if it persists across system upgrades.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Is there a Surface thread that I missed? I've been looking at Surface Books for an embarrassing amount of time. And I think I might pull the trigger.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ziploc posted:

Is there a Surface thread that I missed? I've been looking at Surface Books for an embarrassing amount of time. And I think I might pull the trigger.
I'm loving mine. The first couple months the firmware sucks, but MS has it pretty well dialed in, now. There is still an issue with sleep they haven't been able to figure out, but I either shut mine down completely or leave it on overnight anyway.

Eternal Destiny
Jun 24, 2013
My opinion about upgrading to Windows 10 is that I would not advice it on older machines, mine still freezes regular. It gets better with every update, but I would still wait.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Eternal Destiny fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 14, 2016

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

ilkhan posted:

I'm loving mine. The first couple months the firmware sucks, but MS has it pretty well dialed in, now. There is still an issue with sleep they haven't been able to figure out, but I either shut mine down completely or leave it on overnight anyway.

I read that forcing the latest Intel drivers help sleep battery usage

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Eternal Destiny posted:

My opinion about upgrading to Windows 10 is that I would not advice it on older machines, mine still freezes regular. It gets better with every update, but I would still wait.

This is your hardware/drivers. Windows 10 is stable as a rock.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Okay I'm having a really frustrating time with this Windows 10 installation. I'm trying to do a clean installation so what I do is boot into the USB drive I created and then tell it I want to install only Windows. It brings up the partitioner. At this point the drive is unpartitioned, so it says "Disk 0 Unallocated Space …" and I don't want to use the entire hard drive, so I click on "new" and type in 100,000 to create a 100 GB partition. The setup tells me it needs to make additional partitions so I say ok and in the end I have the following:

quote:

1) Drive 0 Partition 1 - 450 MB Recovery
2) Drive 0 Partition 2 - 100 MB System (EFI)
3) Drive 0 Partition 3 - 16 MB MSR
4) Drive 0 Partition 4 - 97 GB Primary
5) Drive 0 Unallocated Space

So far, so good. My UEFI settings have Secure Boot on and boot mode set to UEFI Only. Now I click on the 97 GB primary partition and click next and now I get a prompt that says,

"The partitions on the disk selected for installation are not in the recommended order. For additional information about installing to GPT disks go to the Microsoft website and search for GPT."

Well, okay, I don't understand why it's telling me this because I let the Windows Setup make the partitions. I can click ok to just proceed but it gives me a message saying Windows encountered an unexpected error. This drops me back to the initial screen I get to when I boot from the USB drive. If I continue on I'll get to the partition screen again and now all of a sudden I'm looking at the following:

quote:

1) Drive 0 Partition 1 - 450 MB Recovery
2) Drive 0 Partition 2 - 100 MB System (EFI)
3) Drive 0 Partition 3 - 16 MB MSR
4) Drive 0 Partition 4 - 97 GB Primary
5) Drive 0 Partition 5 - 450 MB Recovery
6) Drive 0 Partition 6 - 100 MB System (EFI)
7) Drive 0 Partition 7 - 450 MB Recovery
8) Drive 0 Partition 8 - 100 MB System (EFI)
9) Drive 0 Unallocated Space

What's going on.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 15, 2016

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Looks like the installer got quite confused.
What you do is delete every single one of these things in the installer and then just click next.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I did that and it does this thing. I also went into the command prompt and used diskutil (or diskpart, disk whatever, not sure what it was called) and selected the hard drive and 'clean' to delete everything. Still gave the same error and does the same thing where it creates additional partitions for some reason. I just tried deleting everything and then clicking on "new" and just letting it take up the entire hard drive so that partition 4 filled the rest of the drive up. When I click "next" now to install it tells me it could not create a partition or locate an existing Windows partition to install.

Whelp.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I did that and it does this thing. I also went into the command prompt and used diskutil (or diskpart, disk whatever, not sure what it was called) and selected the hard drive and 'clean' to delete everything. Still gave the same error and does the same thing where it creates additional partitions for some reason. I just tried deleting everything and then clicking on "new" and just letting it take up the entire hard drive so that partition 4 filled the rest of the drive up. When I click "next" now to install it tells me it could not create a partition or locate an existing Windows partition to install.

Whelp.
Stop trying to create your own partitions.

Delete them all, and then just click through when it asks.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

ilkhan posted:

Stop trying to create your own partitions.

Delete them all, and then just click through when it asks.

I just deleted everything and hit next without partition and here's what it's telling me:

"Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install Windows, restart the installation."

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

After my griping about the calculator, I've had to do a clean install of 10 and it's been working just fine ever since, so gently caress me I guess!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just deleted everything and hit next without partition and here's what it's telling me:

"Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install Windows, restart the installation."

Try downloading a fresh ISO using the Media Creation Tool. Just clutching at straws but it's what I'd do next.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone have any insight to fixing "kernel_security_check_failure" blue screens in Windows 10? Googling I found some people suggesting it was due to overclocking so I removed my overclock and it still happens every couple days, some people say it's NVidia drivers but I have AMD, and another suggestion was viruses but I have a pretty much stock installation and Windows Defender doesn't see an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A crash dump (found in C:\Windows aka %systemroot%, ends in .dmp but isn't memory.dmp), symbol files (in this instance for Windows 10, Version 1511 (retail)) and WinDBG can tell you more, instead of relying on users who most probably have absolutely no clue what they're talking about, given the suggestions they're giving you.

If you don't feel up to it, I can have a look at it if you upload it somewhere, and if you trust a random internet stranger enough with your crash dumps.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 15, 2016