Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Diet Crack posted:

Put Marngrook on Nine.

(don't, nine is the channel for the worst of Australia)

You have a funny way of saying "channel seven".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Apparently Gary Lyon is a bit of a pants man

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Spedman posted:

Apparently Gary Lyon is a bit of a pants man

Which would explain the odd line

quote:

Lyon’s position will be determined over the coming weeks.

Morality clauses they have in on-air talent contracts and all

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Should replace Gary with Wayne Carey for shits and giggles imo

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Get Shane Warne on

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Caleb Daniel is currently tearing it up in the Bulldogs intraclub. Two of our new kids in Lynch & Williams have been lively on the outside while Morris has taught Toby McLean a lesson (although Morris is statistically one of the best lockdown defenders in the AFL so not unexpected)

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
:siren:International and VPN having goons:siren:

WatchAFL's yearly free NAB subscription is now available. From now until like March 15th, you can watch every game live, as well as any game in the AFL's archive, which is every game from the last few years, not to mention their 24/7 channel. All you have to do is register an account. It's great.

http://watchafl.afl.com.au/

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
5 days until we sacrifice the young and infirm to the great hawk, in order to guarantee another bountiful season.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

just realised I'm going to be in inverloch without internet and will miss the whole first week of nab challenge :negative:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

just realised I'm going to be in inverloch without internet and will miss the whole first week of nab challenge :negative:

Oh no, not the NAB challenge.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Testekill posted:

Oh no, not the NAB challenge.

there's been no footy for over 4 months I want whatever I can get

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
just watched the international rules game since i missed it back when it happened. such an underrated sport.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

:swoon:

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

mumbrella posted:

AFL Footy Show host Garry Lyon has stepped down from his roles with Nine to seek help for “ongoing mental health conditions”, it has been revealed.

Reports emerged yesterday Lyon, who has presented the show since 2006, had fallen out with close friend and co-host Bill Brownless and had yet to commit to presenting the new season of the popular Nine Network show.

According to a statement from Nine: “For several months The Footy Show and Footy Classified co-host has been suffering from a serious mental health condition and he will take time out from all media roles to recover. There is no set timeframe as to when he will return to television.”

“We are all supporting Garry and hope he will be back to good health very soon. Our priority is his wellbeing,” said Ian Paterson, managing director of Nine Melbourne.

“Garry has our full support. From here on, it’s a private and personal matter and we ask that be respected.”

The statement confirmed James Brayshaw will host the show on his own when it returns from next month, while Damian Barrett will fill in for Lyon on Footy Classified during his absence.

It is unclear whether Lyon will still appear on Southern Cross Austereo’s TripleM

The statement from Nine:

Garry Lyon will stand down from his various media duties while he seeks treatment for an ongoing mental health condition.

For several months The Footy Show and Footy Classified co-host has been suffering from a serious mental health condition and he will take time out from all media roles to recover. There is no set timeframe as to when he will return to television.

“We are all supporting Garry and hope he will be back to good health very soon. Our priority is his wellbeing,” said Ian Paterson, Managing Director Nine Melbourne.

“Garry has our full support. From here on, it’s a private and personal matter and we ask that be respected.”

The Footy Show will return next month. James Brayshaw will host the show solo until Garry is fit to return.

Damian Barrett will fill in for Garry on Footy Classified during his absence.

I actually really like Gary. He is probably the best analyst going around and whenever I've accidentally sent bits of the footy show he seems to be the one admonishing Sam Newman the most.

Hope he gets over this, for Triple M footy's ratings sake.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Volkerball posted:

just watched the international rules game since i missed it back when it happened. such an underrated sport.

Yeah I've always really enjoyed it. I guess I'm in a more unique position than most as when I was younger growing up I used to follow the Gaelic quite a bit and lived a short walk from Armagh's training grounds. It was fun when I knew a decent size of the Irish squad but it's been a long time since I've followed it properly so most of their squad now are unknowns to me. But I've always stil really enjoyed the game though.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

pkid posted:

I actually really like Gary. He is probably the best analyst going around and whenever I've accidentally sent bits of the footy show he seems to be the one admonishing Sam Newman the most.

Hope he gets over this, for Triple M footy's ratings sake.

I am of the complete opposite view that he's a grade-A bastard, both when he was a player and in his media and Melbourne FC board work. However no one deserves mental illness, and hope he recovers from it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

You Am I posted:

I am of the complete opposite view that he's a grade-A bastard, both when he was a player and in his media and Melbourne FC board work. However no one deserves mental illness, and hope he recovers from it.

I don't want to make light of mental illness, but it seems more like the story they decided to run with, because nobody pokes at it anymore.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

NTRabbit posted:

I don't want to make light of mental illness, but it seems more like the story they decided to run with, because nobody pokes at it anymore.
Are you really suggesting the media and footy industry have decided en masse to pretend Garry Lyon has a mental illness.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Shmoses posted:

Are you really suggesting the media and footy industry have decided en masse to pretend Garry Lyon has a mental illness.

I thought he meant that Lyon had pretended he has a mental illness so the media didn't pry into his affairs.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

gay picnic defence posted:

I thought he meant that Lyon had pretended he has a mental illness so the media didn't pry into his affairs.

And so that he stepped down from Nine for personal reasons, rather then Nine forced him out for violating his contract.

Shmoses posted:

What en masse? It's Nine and his representatives. Wait and see if anything turns up in Women's Day, they don't give a poo poo about anything.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 13, 2016

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
The media will 100% know what's going on.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

They already do, why else do you think the articles yesterday did everything they could to say "they had an affair" without actually saying it and facing an injunction and libel suit?

The SEN article basically said "Lyon and Brownless have had a massive falling out over something personal we can't mention. By the way, totally unrelated, did you hear Brownless and his wife split up 6 months ago? Makes you think"

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 13, 2016

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

NTRabbit posted:

They already do, why else do you think the articles yesterday did everything they could to say "they had an affair" without actually saying it and facing an injunction and libel suit?

The SEN article basically said "Lyon and Brownless have had a massive falling out over something personal we can't mention. By the way, totally unrelated, did you hear Brownless and his wife split up 6 months ago? Makes you think"

Yes thank you. So why do you think Lyon's lying about a mental illness to stop the media finding out what's going on if they already know what's going on?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Shmoses posted:

Yes thank you. So why do you think Lyon's lying about a mental illness to stop the media finding out what's going on if they already know what's going on?

Publishing, not knowing.

Plus, if he doesn't step down and Nine is forced to bench him, the story gets bigger.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I assume the idea is that nobody is going to want to publish stories that are kicking a guy with mental health issues (alleged, I'm not entirely convinced) while he's down. Or at least that's what I am feeling although I am a cynical shitlord so I may be offbase.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Testekill posted:

I am a cynical shitlord

:hfive:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

People can do bad things and also have a mental illness. The mental illness does not excuse their actions, nor do their actions delegitimise their mental illness. Doubting people who say they have a mental illness is bad.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Solemn Sloth posted:

People can do bad things and also have a mental illness. The mental illness does not excuse their actions, nor do their actions delegitimise their mental illness. Doubting people who say they have a mental illness is bad.

Seriously this.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

NTRabbit posted:

Publishing, not knowing.

Plus, if he doesn't step down and Nine is forced to bench him, the story gets bigger.

Looks like they published anyway!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Yeah I really don't see why it can't be both. Maybe Gary has mental illness issues, something personal happened between him and Billy which may or may not have been his own fault, but whatever it specifically was lead to a flare up of his mental health issues. if it was an affair then maybe he is going through some really tough emotional regret and the pain of losing a friend and the worry about his reputation and career etc... would be enough to be a catalyst for a major depressive episode or whatever else it may be.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I now assume the Crows will recruit Lyon as the final piece in their premiership drive next season. :v:

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
A current affair - we respect Gary Lyon's mental health issue enough to not comment

Today tonight - affair had, footy show torn apart, channel 9 is dead and gay, hail Satan

Women's day - :gary: WOOOOOOOO

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
His name is Garry! Two Rs!

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

A current affair - we respect Gary Lyon's mental health issue enough to not comment

Today tonight - affair had, footy show torn apart, channel 9 is dead and gay, hail Satan

Women's day - :gary: WOOOOOOOO

Today Tonight has been dead for almost two glorious years now. Praise Satan!

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
It could be worse. It's not like he was the Captain getting a gobbie from the vice Captains wife in a toilet at a team party when his wife sprung him and he then had to fight the vice captain while pantsless with it at half mast...

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
In this case it'd be getting a 'frothie' from his mate's wife. :rimshot:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

monolithburger posted:

In this case it'd be getting a 'frothie' from his mate's wife. :rimshot:

:eyepop:

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
:bernpop: :eyepoop:

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
http://www.theage.com.au/business/the-real-story-of-how-the-shane-warne-foundation-fell-apart-20160211-gmrbjs.html

Eddie McGuire's role in Shane Warne's shonky charity dealings was more pronounced than I realised. Not unexpected given how much of a dodgy fuckwits club top sport in Australia is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Weird that noted drug cheat and match fixer shane warne would behave unethically when managing a charity.

• Locked thread