Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Alfalfa posted:

Signed up to do my first bjj gi tournament in April.

I'm in a funk right now which I blame mainly on rolling with nothing but blue and purple belts.

I've been consistently training since I started in November, and I get the drills and movements, but when it's time to roll I'm pretty much sol and just try to survive and get off my back the entire time.

It's difficult because most of the other white belts are like 150lbs and I can just muscle them into submission.

Hoping I can get some legit white on white belt grappling practice in to get a feel of a real match.

Use technique not muscle in training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
I think Alfalfa is just echoing what I've heard a lot of big guys complain about : it's tough for big guys to find a rolling partner the same size. And having to tone down their strength for their tiny training partners gets old after a while.

Alfalfa posted:

Signed up to do my first bjj gi tournament in April.

I'm in a funk right now which I blame mainly on rolling with nothing but blue and purple belts.

I've been consistently training since I started in November, and I get the drills and movements, but when it's time to roll I'm pretty much sol and just try to survive and get off my back the entire time.

It's difficult because most of the other white belts are like 150lbs and I can just muscle them into submission.

Hoping I can get some legit white on white belt grappling practice in to get a feel of a real match.
haha buddy relax you began 3 months ago. Welcome to hug-based fighting arts, you're going to suck for a while. What metrics are you using to gauge your funk? If you're measuring your success primarily on how frequently you're able (or not able) to dominate people, you'll get discouraged more often than not. Flow rolling also helps piece movements together.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Appreciate the feedback and yes flow rolling has been a huge help and the thing I enjoy most when we do it.

I'm definitely getting used to staying on the bottom and having to relax, breathe, and figure out how to create space without using force, but when I do create space I hit my funk because I have no clue where to go (which I know is part of the game at this stage) so they just rotate around and end up right back on top of me.

I know it comes in time and most of the blue and purple belt guys I roll with say I will be just fine when I do compete in my division, but I'm worried more about being able to get on top or establish a dominant position in a match and not having any clue where to go from there.

Right now when I roll against whites I typically just end up knee on belly and ride them around the mat for a minute or so until they give me an arm or neck.

I try to use as little muscle as possible, but my funk is coming not from getting dominated when rolling, but more so never getting the chance to utilize everything I'm drilling in love situations due to my size compared to opponents with equal training age.

I'm still really enjoying it though.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Unless you're in a submission-only white belt comp (do those exist?), you shouldn't have to worry about getting subs in the competition. Certainly go for them if they're there, but you can maintain dominant position, be patient, and win on points if need be.

With not being able to use drilled techniques, would it be help for you to start situationally while rolling? Ask to start with you in his guard, for instance, or with your back taken?

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 10, 2016

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Alfalfa posted:

Appreciate the feedback and yes flow rolling has been a huge help and the thing I enjoy most when we do it.

I'm definitely getting used to staying on the bottom and having to relax, breathe, and figure out how to create space without using force, but when I do create space I hit my funk because I have no clue where to go (which I know is part of the game at this stage) so they just rotate around and end up right back on top of me.

I know it comes in time and most of the blue and purple belt guys I roll with say I will be just fine when I do compete in my division, but I'm worried more about being able to get on top or establish a dominant position in a match and not having any clue where to go from there.

Right now when I roll against whites I typically just end up knee on belly and ride them around the mat for a minute or so until they give me an arm or neck.

I try to use as little muscle as possible, but my funk is coming not from getting dominated when rolling, but more so never getting the chance to utilize everything I'm drilling in love situations due to my size compared to opponents with equal training age.

Honestly, establishing a dominant position and waiting for an opponent to make a mistake that opens them up for a sub is exactly the strategy you want to have at your experience level. Focusing on making yourself heavy and having your top pressure be as uncomfortable as possible is going to pay more dividends than trying to develop a slick attacking game.

You're never going to be able to utilize everything you drill in live rolling, and especially not in competition. Even the best grapplers in the world with encyclopedic knowledge of the sport will use a relatively small subset of that knowledge when they compete -- you develop a repertoire of techniques and positions that you are most comfortable and confident with and stick to them as much as possible. That your game is very limited at this point is a good thing, if knee on belly is something you like then really work the hell out of it until you've got strong fundamentals in getting to and maintaining that position. Then later you can start building a more sophisticated approach on top of this strong base that you've developed.

Gadamer posted:

Unless you're in a submission-only white belt comp (do those exist?), you shouldn't have to worry about getting subs in the competition. Certainly go for them if they're there, but you can maintain dominant position and win on points.

A lot of competitions are moving in that direction, I know The Good Fight for one is sub-only at all levels.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Alfalfa posted:

As another very big person, you just kind of have to accept at some point that your game isn't going to be about throwing down a wide array of subs. When you're larger and strong, a controlling top-pressure-oriented game is just going to suit your body better. When I was still able to train actively, my game was all about getting on top and into side control, where I could really lever my weight down into my opponent's diaphragm and sternum to make them really uncomfortable. Once there, wait for them to give you opportunities to advance or attack by trying to escape, rather than pursuing techniques yourself. Play to your physical strengths and then let the situation give you the tools to work toward a finish.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Also as a tiny baby man who gets smashed by big dudes all the time I'm finding these complaints about being too much stronger than your training partners to be very triggering.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Alfalfa posted:

Just arm triangle especially at white belt, it's a strong goon's best friend. It's basically the same setup from side or mount, you'll be able to just shove their arm in there and you'll have the strength to squeeze their head off.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ikantski posted:

Just arm triangle especially at white belt, it's a strong goon's best friend. It's basically the same setup from side or mount, you'll be able to just shove their arm in there and you'll have the strength to squeeze their head off.

You might be able to northcutt them from the wrong position as well.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Instead of worrying about what submissions you are going to force on the fat guy you end up fighting at the white belt grappling comp, id work on the areas youre actually having trouble. Instead of crushing the lovely smaller white belts, start the roll in a lovely position and work on getting out of it. Give them your back and 75% of an rnc and get out. Etc

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Also as a tiny baby man who gets smashed by big dudes all the time I'm finding these complaints about being too much stronger than your training partners to be very triggering.

Same. I'm eternally envious of the big guys who can just squash me and slowly work for an arm triangle or kimura.

gunblade
Sep 1, 2008

-Just lucky, I guess

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Same for me too as well.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

As a gentleman of size I can say that I am eternally jealous of my smaller training partners that use quickness, flexibility, flippeedoos, and spinaroonies to pass and here I am just using loving gravity. That poo poo looks like so much more fun.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ch3cooh posted:

As a gentleman of size I can say that I am eternally jealous of my smaller training partners that use quickness, flexibility, flippeedoos, and spinaroonies to pass and here I am just using loving gravity. That poo poo looks like so much more fun.

the only thing doing flippeedoos and spinaroonies is the cartilage in my joints

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The grass is always greener. Especially when youre a heavy weight getting crushed by ultra heavyweights.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

hey man that's my entire gameplan

1. flipeedoo
2. spinaroonie
3. submission (?????)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Hey man my broke tired rear end even did a white belt tourney before I stopped. It was mostly two to one year old white belts doing their last thing before hitting blue and I had been going for about two months.

It was a loving blast. I got curb stomped but showed guts by refusing to stop. The tiny third place trophy has a honored spot on my shelf.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bangkero posted:

I think Alfalfa is just echoing what I've heard a lot of big guys complain about : it's tough for big guys to find a rolling partner the same size. And having to tone down their strength for their tiny training partners gets old after a while.

Rolling with smaller people can also be a chance to work on your defense and escapes. Just get in to positions where the muscle groups involved make it weak for you and strong for them.

i.e. give up position for a kimura and see if you can get out of it using just your arm as opposed to your whole body, let 'em sweep you and see if you can make sure to transition into a strong defensive position, stuff like that. Plus then the lighter guys and girls will actually enjoy rolling with you since you aren't just taking it light on them, they have to have good technique but are in a position to apply it as opposed to just getting crushed or feeling patronized because you clearly just allowed them to win. The roll is mutually beneficial.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Thoguh posted:

Rolling with smaller people can also be a chance to work on your defense and escapes. Just get in to positions where the muscle groups involved make it weak for you and strong for them.

i.e. give up position for a kimura and see if you can get out of it using just your arm as opposed to your whole body, let 'em sweep you and see if you can make sure to transition into a strong defensive position, stuff like that. Plus then the lighter guys and girls will actually enjoy rolling with you since you aren't just taking it light on them, they have to have good technique but are in a position to apply it as opposed to just getting crushed or feeling patronized because you clearly just allowed them to win. The roll is mutually beneficial.
As a tiny baby man I appreciate bigger and better rolling partners doing that. More recently I cheekily slammed my knee on a brown belt's belly after he played passively expecting me to practice my side control pressure. woah nelly did I go for a ride after that.

Another strategy I like to play against bigger rolling partners is how long can I flippeedoo and spinaroonie before I get tired or they get tired of my poo poo. Then I get to play how long can I take getting squished before the round ends

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 11, 2016

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

any good vids for flippeedoo and spinneroonie technique?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CommonShore posted:

I found this instructional video that might help

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 11, 2016

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

god, these just dont work the way they used to now that i turned on embedded youtubes :(.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

god, these just dont work the way they used to now that i turned on embedded youtubes :(.

Thanks I had posted the wrong link and corrected it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

CommonShore posted:

https://www.facebook.com/showtheart/videos/894166180661074/

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

10/10 for sentiment, but 4/10 for actual execution, becuase these guys are like the least flippeedoo guys ever in the history of anything.

Well, except for...

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

CommonShore posted:

classic flippeedoos and spinneroonies

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

CommonShore posted:

the classic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyvOTEz7-8E

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I think this is a spinneroonie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=curRC4pAE-w&t=160s

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
One of the biggest men in bjj has the best spins.....

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
All these years and I had no idea the dumpy guy in the green t-shirt was Hermes...

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Woah, talk about creepy timing.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Question for everyone here - what's the worst pain you ever felt in any serious sparring or rolling? Or straight up competing?

I can think of a bunch of things that sucked but I'm not sure which takes the cake. Probably when I got stopped with a liver kick.

Honestly the exhaustion from being in crap shape stands out as more painful.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I once rolled with this guy who'd come from a JJJ background then transitioned to BJJ in the 90s. He used pain-based variations of all the major positions, like his side-control involved him having a fist underneath the middle of your back and then putting all his bodyweight into the top of your chest. I couldn't tell if he was a complete rear end in a top hat or if he just came from a different time. Every position hurt, every submission hurt.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
A 'stinger' - or so they call it in football - basically a contraction in the neck at a high velocity

The last time I felt a sharp pain in my neck after an accidental spike into the mat - vision went black. Got a cat scan and took some time off - nothing permanent.

Worse long term was a simple meniscus tear

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I once rolled with this guy who'd come from a JJJ background then transitioned to BJJ in the 90s. He used pain-based variations of all the major positions, like his side-control involved him having a fist underneath the middle of your back and then putting all his bodyweight into the top of your chest. I couldn't tell if he was a complete rear end in a top hat or if he just came from a different time. Every position hurt, every submission hurt.

I know this guy and he would roll for a lot of heelhooks in gi

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i got kneed in the balls, and i can't account for what happened exactly, but one of my balls ended up between my cup and my... leg? and there was pressure. i rolled out of the ring and vomited everywhere. close second to that was a liver shot ko from a pro boxer. actually i don't know what was worse.

e: they were the worst single experience. 2 broken ribs was the worst in terms of general, prolonged misery.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I tore the costal cartilage connecting a couple of ribs to my sternum. Couldn't get up to drive myself home for a good fifteen minutes. They still don't quite attach correctly and I can feel them sliding around if I curl forward too far.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I tore my mcl when the other guy was doing a scissor sweep and my foot was stuck in the mat or something. It wasn't too bad by comparison since I had done much, much worse damage to my knee years before and i could still mostly function without it. I also tried to pass guard one time and my sparring partner brought his knee up to shield and I ended up dropping my entire body weight, crotch first, onto his knee. That was worse than the mcl tear.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 13, 2016

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Quote is not edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Meniscus tear is the worst pain I've ever had, followed closely by a bruised rib.