Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
People getting caught up in him using his powers with people not 'catching on', are kinda missing how absolutely realistic that is. People believe what other people belive, and observations and facts are of very limited impact.

The joke about the number one factor in the advancement of science being funerals kinda points to people really not giving a poo poo if you've literally got documented repeatable proof collected to agreed upon standards. 'Hey guys what we think to be true is totally wrong' is suuuuuuuuper unpopular, and the devil plays that human nature like a fiddle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jadaris
May 9, 2003

I am Leto, Lion of Atreides
Pretty disappointed there was no "speak of the devil" line when cop lady was talking about Lucifer and then he called her.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

It'll come up later. They'll make every devil joke known to man within the season.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Cyclomatic posted:

People getting caught up in him using his powers with people not 'catching on', are kinda missing how absolutely realistic that is. People believe what other people belive, and observations and facts are of very limited impact.

The joke about the number one factor in the advancement of science being funerals kinda points to people really not giving a poo poo if you've literally got documented repeatable proof collected to agreed upon standards. 'Hey guys what we think to be true is totally wrong' is suuuuuuuuper unpopular, and the devil plays that human nature like a fiddle.

Yea but at some point she's going to see enough poo poo that you'd have to be an idiot not to think he's the devil or some super power being. And it's Titering close to that line.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Just what exactly is it going to take, Mr. Lux flexing his status as Lightbringer and vaporizing something?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

GuyUpNorth posted:

Just what exactly is it going to take, Mr. Lux flexing his status as Lightbringer and vaporizing something?

To be fair, that would be pretty neat to see on TV.

EDIT: Getting tired of Amenadiel's poo poo and burning his wings off would be a nice finale moment.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
I wonder if they have the budget to play jay-z's "lucifer"

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I do wonder what it would take to get the writer of the pilot to write more episodes. That rocked.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

This week I see the title and think "OH poo poo SOMEONE IS MOVING IN ON HELL" and get excited at the prospect of a weird vaguely political demon vs lucifer kinda setup where someone is trying to take over hell since Lucifer is on vacation... and it's some pasty white kid with a poo poo accent.

Been a long time since I read the Sandman books, but I seem to recall Duma and Remiel had it pretty well covered after Lucifer left. Of course, if they decide to do the Elaine Belloc story arc, that could go right out the window.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tom Ellis is a loving delight.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

EricFate posted:

Been a long time since I read the Sandman books, but I seem to recall Duma and Remiel had it pretty well covered after Lucifer left. Of course, if they decide to do the Elaine Belloc story arc, that could go right out the window.

I can't see them going the Elaine route. Doesn't fit the feel of the book. Likely the cop is his secret daughter or something, possibly they'll say her original name before given up for adoption was Elaine. That's about as far as I can see them going.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I find it refreshing that the main character isn't trying to hide his big secret like in every other show out there. Cop lady has been questioning it from the very beginning, too, and it seems it will continue to go down that route as she notices more weird poo poo with him. Part of what's amusing in this show to me is how willing he is to tell everyone he's the devil lol

I get a big kick out of Lucifer bluntly telling everybody who he is and nobody believing him, but it's going to get a bit ridiculous if this keeps going on with the cop-lady considering everything that she has seen.

I mean, in a few more episodes Lucifer and Decker will be standing in hell, and Lucifer will smugly point out to Chloe that "Oh my, you seem to be on fire," and Decker will just be like "No, it's just really hot, we must be in Florida or something."

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
according to the production codes listed on wikipedia the episode we just saw is episode 10 so I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get much ongoing reaction to last episodes events for a while. Every other episode is being screened in order, which is pretty good by Fox standards.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

according to the production codes listed on wikipedia the episode we just saw is episode 10 so I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get much ongoing reaction to last episodes events for a while. Every other episode is being screened in order, which is pretty good by Fox standards.

Why does Fox hate production order so much?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

pentyne posted:

I don't know, but I wish they would stop

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
seriously? loving gimps.

I'm convinced they do it to sabotage shows so they can cancel them

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

It's only been 3 episodes. I'd be shocked if she stopped looking for rational explanations so soon. Most sane people wouldn't just go, "okay, you're the devil and Christianity is real" after so few encounters.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Man, I am giving serious thought to making that coin he's always fiddling with at the bar.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm kind of annoyed that they aren't really doing anything with Mazikeen.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

KilGrey posted:

It's only been 3 episodes. I'd be shocked if she stopped looking for rational explanations so soon. Most sane people wouldn't just go, "okay, you're the devil and Christianity is real" after so few encounters.

Yeah, but by episode ten? That's stretching it in a dramatic fashion, which matters a great deal more than a realistic one.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

muscles like this? posted:

I'm kind of annoyed that they aren't really doing anything with Mazikeen.

I don't read the comics, so I have no idea who this character is besides a pissy demon who wants to go back to hell with Lucifer. She's not very likable.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

LostRook posted:

Yeah, but by episode ten? That's stretching it in a dramatic fashion, which matters a great deal more than a realistic one.

Even by then. If I were in her shoes there are hundreds of other options I'd go through, maybe even some fantastical ones, before I'd believe the devil (and everything else that belief would entail) is real.

I understand this is TV though, so it can be irritating when a character refuses to get on the fun train but I'm okay if they drag it to the end of the season (which I'm positive they will). Part of what helps is how nice it is for Lucifer to be playing against type and being so open with it. It's funny to watch him get irritated that the one person he really really wants to believe him doesn't.

Honestly, I'll probably get irritated sooner at the dragging out of the "why are you immune to by powers" thing first because I'm already expecting to be underwhelmed at the reason.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
gently caress Fox forever and I wish good writers would start boycotting them.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Gonz posted:

I think that's the first time an Eiffel Tower has been referenced and/or described on network TV.

Scandal talked about it with the Presidents daughter being recorded in one.

One of the moments Scandal really went off the rails as the parents of the boys involved then tried to blackmail the murder President over the tape

GuyUpNorth posted:

I kind of hope it's because he cut his wings off like in the comic book, which means tv budget multi-dimension road trip.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I assumed they were going to take the "No one believes Lucifer" thing until the end of the season while he keeps claiming it but doesn't do anything to show it other then charm people into confessing their desires. After that it was either going to go into a supernatural show with police elements or still be a case of the week show with minor bits here and there of Lucifer doing powered stuff.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Pan Dulce posted:

I don't read the comics, so I have no idea who this character is besides a pissy demon who wants to go back to hell with Lucifer. She's not very likable.
You really should though. Especially Lucifer.

Pan Dulce posted:

I have no idea who this character is besides a pissy demon who wants to go back to hell with Lucifer. She's not very likable.
I know you only care enough to say you don't care, but she's basically the second main character. She's also the only love interest (if you can call it love). It's like if they adapted Lord of the Rings but left out Samwise. She's Lucifer's consort and is the head child of Lillith and she's in charge of that entire subset of demons/monsters. There's not a way to really say how important a character she is without spoiling one of the best comics out there.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

pentyne posted:

The serious answer is that they probably think that episodes 3 - 9 are kind of weak and wanted to try putting a stronger episode up front to avoid viewer drop off. Not that those episodes will actually be weak, of course, but that's why they'd do it.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

That'll be great when we go from the detective having a stunned reaction to the footage to 'meh' in the next episode!

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

pentyne posted:

I assumed they were going to take the "No one believes Lucifer" thing until the end of the season while he keeps claiming it but doesn't do anything to show it other then charm people into confessing their desires. After that it was either going to go into a supernatural show with police elements or still be a case of the week show with minor bits here and there of Lucifer doing powered stuff.

I think one of the challenges is that eventually it would be satisfying to have Lucifer use his powers of persuasion in long games that manipulated other characters with more elegance and complexity than simply asking them "what is it you want most in the world?," but exploring that potential of the character might be outside the scope of the show.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The Lord Bude posted:

This is probably a very stupid question, but why would a network do this?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

Literally 3 posts up:

Random Stranger posted:

The serious answer is that they probably think that episodes 3 - 9 are kind of weak and wanted to try putting a stronger episode up front to avoid viewer drop off. Not that those episodes will actually be weak, of course, but that's why they'd do it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd assume if they have time with filming, that something like a locations being booked, directors/actors not being available, writing not finished, fx not right, network interference etc...

Mostly it's Fox being cocksuckers.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Does anyone know of a time ever in the history of television when this stupid bullshit has worked, and network meddling in broadcast order has improved or saved a show? Like even once?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Name a show they have tampered with in the first season, that made season 2

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Shooting Blanks posted:

See the above, but Fox in particular has a long history of not giving a poo poo when it comes to this sort of thing, airing shows in near random order - even stuff with a certain degree of serialisation, developing character relationships, etc and then cancelling them - see for example the finder, and almost human.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

See the above, but Fox in particular has a long history of not giving a poo poo when it comes to this sort of thing, airing shows in near random order - even stuff with a certain degree of serialisation, developing character relationships, etc and then cancelling them - see for example the finder, and almost human.

I'd like to say I watch a lot of tv and have never seen this done or recognized it. When they do it is it done in a way that isn't noticeable to the average viewer unless you know the original order?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Holyshoot posted:

I'd like to say I watch a lot of tv and have never seen this done or recognized it. When they do it is it done in a way that isn't noticeable to the average viewer unless you know the original order?

The most notorious answer is Firefly, which lead to some real confusion when it aired out of order, as well as basically two pilots because Fox wouldn't air the first one for some reason.

The other thing that immediately comes to mind is Bob's Burgers, which had to air their Christmas episode over Thanksgiving last year because :fox: and there were references to a previous episode, which didn't air until mid January. It's also been the only episode of that show to air over the last 4 months, which has no doubt tanked interest. Good job Fox.

Those are just the two off the top of my head though.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I think the worst example of this I can remember is Almost Human. An awesome show killed by episode reordering. The protagonist comes off totally bipolar. One episode he doesn't trust his new partner, then he does, then he doesn't again for two episodes, then he does etc.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

KilGrey posted:

I think the worst example of this I can remember is Almost Human. An awesome show killed by episode reordering. The protagonist comes off totally bipolar. One episode he doesn't trust his new partner, then he does, then he doesn't again for two episodes, then he does etc.

That's amazing. Nominated for 4 Emmys, wins 2, cancelled after the first season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Rocksicles posted:

Name a show they have tampered with in the first season, that made season 2

Sliders was hit with that hardcore, but managed to last 3 seasons getting worse with every one.(On Fox at least)

• Locked thread