Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I was not expecting that event to happen at this juncture and I was not expecting it to be as cool as it is.

Such a good chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

NecroMonster posted:

the arm looked way to small to be shoiji's.

Losing an arm (and being pitch blackness in the dead of night) would also explain pretty well why/how tokoyami has lost loving control.

Shouji talks about how he covered Tokoyami while it shows his bloody tentacle and the severed arm. It's Shouji's arm.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the arm also doesn't match the "side" shouji was wounded on.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Well he can grow body parts, it hasn't been said that they have to match the growth point. In other words, why couldn't he grow a right arm on his left side.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

LostRook posted:

Well he can grow body parts, it hasn't been said that they have to match the growth point. In other words, why couldn't he grow a right arm on his left side.

Because he has no reason to? Also: Occam's Razor.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

The simplest explanation would be that it's from the guy that can grow limbs and is injured.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Genocyber posted:

The simplest explanation would be that it's from the guy that can grow limbs and is injured.

Not if you accept that it's the wrong hand.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Because they are grown on his wings and then have a different, uh, operating method there are probably a number of situations where it would be easier to switch sides.

I understand that it's fun to bring up logical principles, but it doesn't really work here and seems like a silly way to shut down conversation.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Meh. We'll see next week I guess.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm looking forward to seeing tokoyami? run wild now his quirk has gone out of control

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I can't wait for Birdboy to have his own Guts-in-black-armor arc, they grow up so fast

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Not if you accept that it's the wrong hand.

If he can regrow limbs how do we know he wasn't injured on his other side earlier, and this new injury is from Tokoyami?

Also why in the hell would they show a panel with a severed hand juxtaposed with a close-up of a guy's arm stump? That is just horrendous storytelling if it's not Shouji's hand.

(honestly my vote is artist error, that poo poo happens all the time, although he might catch it between chapters and make up some explanation)

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Jesus! that gimp dude is freaky. Using your teeth like that.
I really hope we get to see some of these fights.

Also the art in this series continues to be amazing. That final page looks incredible.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
He's talking about how something set Tokoyami off, despite his attempts to protect him. Tokoyami losing his arm could do that. Tokoyami being really surprised at the ambush... Doesn't make sense. And again, it's the wrong side. Also, we've never established that Shouji can regenerate. His tentacles change form and he's really strong; that's literally all we know about him. If he could regenerate a whole arm, he wouldn't have that would on his other tentacle just sitting there.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Shouji losing a hand and tokoyami losing his mind at that makes the most sense and if its anything else its a bit convoluted

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jose posted:

Shouji losing a hand and tokoyami losing his mind at that makes the most sense and if its anything else its a bit convoluted

Tokoyami losing an arm, freaking out, and inflicting that wound on Shouji is convoluted?

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I'm pretty sure Shouji is capable of transforming the tips of his tentacles into other body parts like hands/mouths etc.
which explains the damaged nub and the discarded arm.

edit:

In fact yes, here it is:

http://bokunoheroacademia.wikia.com/wiki/Replicant_Arms

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
What if the arm belongs to someone from Class B or one of the villain clones?

Really though I kind of hope lots of Class A people turn around and run back into the forest. They just got a mass mental text telling Baron Explodakill to not fight, ain't nobody could possibly get that and think anything but even bigger explosions are imminent.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Gyges posted:

What if the arm belongs to someone from Class B or one of the villain clones?

Really though I kind of hope lots of Class A people turn around and run back into the forest. They just got a mass mental text telling Baron Explodakill to not fight, ain't nobody could possibly get that and think anything but even bigger explosions are imminent.

Shooting off explosions while surrounded by flammable objects doesn't seem like the best strategy.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

We're arguing a lot about an arm in a chapter where Voldo has TOOTH SPEARS

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
wonder if there's other people that can be subsumed by their quirk like that.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Patware posted:

There's not much to debate or discuss, it's awesome, end of story

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Patware posted:

I really didn't expect something would end up making his creepy rear end mask functional beyond being a creepy rear end mask, but here we are. His lips would get obliterated by his power. Though one wonders how his teeth stay in.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TriffTshngo posted:

There's not much to debate or discuss, it's awesome, end of story

It's a pretty strong counter to Bakugou and Todoroki. As long as he keeps himself up in the air like that Bakugou can't reach him and he can dodge Todoroki's ice/fire pretty easily (since he has an extra dimension to move around in; for example he can just push himself up higher to avoid stuff).

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

moonfish is a spider with teeth for legs

rapidly growing razor sharp spear teeth

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Roland Jones posted:

Tokoyami being really surprised at the ambush... Doesn't make sense.

W...why?

Like it's explicitly stated that he was struggling to control his quirk already. An ambush by definition is a surprise attack. Why couldn't the stress from all of a sudden being attacked not cause him to lose control of something he was already having trouble controlling?

Now on the other hand I do see your point about how the panel also has Shouji talking about how Tokoyami lost control. So juxtaposing the severed arm with the statement "it triggered his quirk" might be what links those two things, that's a good point I hadn't considered. Still though, why the close-up of Shouji's arm stump then? Why not show his face or another part of the action? If you wanted to show that he was hurt from the ambush, why sever an appendage and why show the flashback of the severed arm in the same panel? It's still really weird and misleading to do that.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
he lost control because it's dark out and then tentacle dude covered him up like a human shield making it get darker his shadow gets stronger in the dark. Pluss he was probably weak from wrestling with it in a cave all day

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy A. Person posted:

W...why?

Like it's explicitly stated that he was struggling to control his quirk already. An ambush by definition is a surprise attack. Why couldn't the stress from all of a sudden being attacked not cause him to lose control of something he was already having trouble controlling?

Now on the other hand I do see your point about how the panel also has Shouji talking about how Tokoyami lost control. So juxtaposing the severed arm with the statement "it triggered his quirk" might be what links those two things, that's a good point I hadn't considered. Still though, why the close-up of Shouji's arm stump then? Why not show his face or another part of the action? If you wanted to show that he was hurt from the ambush, why sever an appendage and why show the flashback of the severed arm in the same panel? It's still really weird and misleading to do that.

I mean, I'm assuming that Tokoyami's quirk isn't so horrible that just being surprised in the dark can result in something this extreme; I could be wrong, but, that seems a bit much.

Anyway, the close-up on Shouji's wound (which is not the result of a severed limb; you can see it's one of his shifting nub things with a chunk taken out perhaps but most of it is plainly still there) is to show that Tokoyami's being like this isn't just a danger to himself, but to Shouji and Deku as well. Or maybe he got that from Moonfish too, I dunno. The injury really doesn't match up with the severed arm, though; it's a wound to the side of his tentacle when the severed arm is, well, a severed arm, and again, it's on his left side while that's a right arm. And we still have conspicuously been unable to see Tokoyami's right arm both when we first saw him freaking out and in this chapter. I can't say why the author chose to focus on his injury right next to a picture of the arm (dramatic effect, perhaps, showing the injuries both took?), but unless this is a really, really bad art error, it's not Shouji's arm. Which means that it has to be Tokoyami's, which fits most of the context clues here as well.

Edit: Also, as I said before, Shouji seems to shift his tentacles about, but he doesn't regenerate them as far as we know. The ears/mouths/whatever always form out of what's already there too, so, while him growing a right arm out of his left side off of the tentacle is theoretically possible in that we haven't seen it outright disproved as a thing he can or can't do, it doesn't seem to fit what we do know of his powers either.

Edit again: Decided to look up and see if we've seen Shouji actually turn his tentacles into hands, and it's as I thought; he doesn't "grow" an arm from them, the end shapes itself into a hand, much like how it does for the mouths, ears, and other things we've seen them become. I could admittedly be wrong but it looks like there's a bit too much arm there past the wrist on the severed arm compared to the times we've seen Shouji make tentacle-hands, in addition to the other things I've pointed out.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 14, 2016

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012
Whats wrong with you people

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
If only Kircheis were here.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puvKY8SDwnk

A new trailer for the anime dropped, with more voices + character design combos.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

mineta and asui have terrible voices

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

They all sound pretty decent to me so far.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Jose posted:

Asui's voice is 100% spot on and luckily no-one cares about Grape.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

I thought Asui's was okay and close to how I imagined. Mineta's wasn't, but it didn't really bother me either.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I really liked Asui's voice, it's just what I expected. That said, Todoroki's voice just convinces me even more that Dante Basco needs to do his english dub voice.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I wonder who the usual suspects would be for an english dub, besides Steve Blum being Stain and maybe Eraserhead.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Vengarr posted:

Shooting off explosions while surrounded by flammable objects doesn't seem like the best strategy.

You're just not imagining a big enough explosion.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Even though there are good reasons why Todoroki and Bakugou would have trouble against this guy, it's actually a little surprising that they'd lose against one of these enemies, considering the two of them would have had a good shot at beating Stain himself (since Bakugou is quite possibly as good in a fight as Midoriya and Iida combined). Then again, I'm sure the guy they're fighting was chosen specifically to deal with Bakugou.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Even though there are good reasons why Todoroki and Bakugou would have trouble against this guy, it's actually a little surprising that they'd lose against one of these enemies, considering the two of them would have had a good shot at beating Stain himself (since Bakugou is quite possibly as good in a fight as Midoriya and Iida combined). Then again, I'm sure the guy they're fighting was chosen specifically to deal with Bakugou.

Bakugou is honestly probably a really terrible match for Stain. If only because more than most at the school Bakugou is exactly the type of hero Stain despises and would love to murder.