Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

Kimsemus posted:

I think there is the common misconception that many of the developers give a gently caress about SC being completed or not, and are instead just producing high quality assets for a company and collecting a paycheck. You're assuming that they all should jump ship because SC is destined to fail, instead of just getting paid and quitting when they stop getting paid, because that is how most jobs work.

Not talking about the developers earning a penny - that's life. I'm talking about outside; the ones putting money in - not those poor crunching buggers keeping food on the table.

E: Hell, at least lots of the developers at CIG are doing great work on their portfolios for later :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's been two years since dogfighting was first presented to us. That, more than anything, is what Star Citizen is supposed to be. But here we are now and fundamental aspects of gameplay still aren't in place. Combat is not done. Navigation is not done. Control systems are not done. Components are not done. If you don't know how a ship is supposed to move, fight, or how it's supposed to function then you can't design anything worth a drat.

The total lack of evolution on combat soured me on Star Citizen, long before I found SA and before Derek Smart's treatises started appearing. Star Citizen was sold as a combat-first game, which would then grow into a wider universe. That was acceptable to me, as long as the combat element of the game was locked down. But it became glaringly apparent that CIG doesn't care about combat gameplay. I wonder if Chris Roberts couldn't handle the criticism from releasing Arena Commander early and, consequently, he became totally disinterested in that facet of gameplay altogether. My interest in the game faded as CIG drifted away from that initial combat focus. In that sense, the whole controller argument, mocked here, was a canary in the coalmine. CIG sold the game as the return of joystick flown space-sims of yore, but CIG basically stopped caring about joystick implementation altogether. This was the first sign that Star Citizen had mutated beyond it's original pitch. It was also the first sign that CIG would go back on promises without any remorse.

Which brings me to B'Tak. I don't get why people in this thread think his ideas are insane. I think that he represents the logical conclusion of Star Citizen ship sales. CIG has a moderate to large number of backers who have spent thousands of dollars on large multi-crew ships. Those ships are sold as part of a wish-fulfillment scheme, CIG sells the fantasy of being the biggest, baddest, space whatever and you can buy that ship and lifestyle. Were the PU released as sold, the largest backers of CIG will have a fleet of ships they cannot hope to maintain, operate, and defend by themselves. The resulting environment is not compatible with a competitive MMO game. High-level whales want to be Gods among Men in the PU, they spend hundreds and thousands to achieve that status. CIG knows that, ship sales are structured towards that fantasy. As continued ship sales are necessary in an eventual PU, we should expect this pattern to continue.

Which leads us to the conclusion that the PU will look very similar to what B'Tak wants, an P2W no, that isn't strong enough to capture CIG's money-making scheme, a Pay 2 Fantasy world. To appease the whales, CIG will structure the game so that there is this hierarchy of success and safety, the top is available to anyone who wants to spend enough. B'Tak's crazy ideas aren't that crazy, if you think that he represents the ideal CIG customer. Someone willing to spend lots of money to feel awesome.

On a separate note, I suspect that CIG is reworking all of the ships because CIG needs to cut poly-count. If you look at the original Vanguard versus with final PU Vanguard, there are clear signs of decreased polygon use through the entire model. CIG can barely get the game working right now, to get a releasable product, they need ships which are not resource intensive. Of course, this is backward game design, but what do I know?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kimsemus posted:

I think there is the common misconception that many of the developers give a gently caress about SC being completed or not, and are instead just producing high quality assets for a company and collecting a paycheck. You're assuming that they all should jump ship because SC is destined to fail, instead of just getting paid and quitting when they stop getting paid, because that is how most jobs work.

The one good thing guaranteed to come out of Star Citizen is that a huge number of artists will be able to add some top notch work to their portfolio.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Moogle posted:

Not talking about the developers earning a penny - that's life. I'm talking about outside; the ones putting money in - not those poor crunching buggers keeping food on the table.

E: Hell, at least lots of the developers at CIG are doing great work on their portfolios for later :D

Ah, I understand!

It actually reminds me of the people that invest in obvious MLM or ponzi schemes -- they desperately want to believe a 20% ROI quarterly is a real thing, so they dump their money into it because they so desperately want reality to be the way they perceive it. Sandi pulls this trick on backers every single day -- " Look at what could be, if only you give us your money, all your dreams can come true!"

But they don't. It's all a lie, and people lose everything. Beer months ago made a post about how Sandi is going to handle it when SC fails and some backers put a gun in their mouth. I don't think he was being funny or hyperbolic. I, sadly, truly believe this is a thing that will happen.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 13, 2016

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Exactly that; in the same vein I wouldn't accept financial advice from somebody who thinks they can earn $$$ while they sleep with this one neat trick... (hedge fund managers hate him!)

Koil
Jun 24, 2005

two weeks
My honest discussion with Reddit on the nature of trolling is received with mixed feelings :catholic:
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/45g7li/perverse_the_verse_why_are_there_so_many_trolls/czxm2bx

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Someday i'll do something worthwhile with my life, until then......you'll get this poo poo.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Someday i'll do something worthwhile with my life, until then......you'll get this poo poo.

Shill Plympton

Or

Stool World

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Shill Plympton

Or

Stool World

I should have given him a tophat and a monocle.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

There are some superb 3rd person demos out there, that isn't the issue. For example this:

https://share.oculus.com/app/mythos-of-the-world-axis

Is amazing and your point of view is from high above the play area.

The issue is the way your character gets his movement ripped away from the player, for example when you get out of bed (wtf ) your character models goes on a set path to stand up, so unless you yourself are lied down at that point irl and get up at the same speed as your in game character then no amount of 'IT IS ALPHA THEY WILL HAVE FREE LOOK' will help - you'll feel loving sick.
The nerds like me who have lived with VR for what, I dunno, almost 3 loving years now know this - we aren't guessing, we know it to be true.

Same with how you spin around in chairs for some unknown loving reason, you'll feel ill.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Same here. Happy Valentine Crobbeldischnobbel!

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

KM Scorchio posted:

Can we get an embedded PAAAARRP air horn audio playing in this thread, interspersed at random intervals with Derek making cryptic predictions as to the future actions of CIG based on insider sources? I want the halls of CIG HQ to reverberate with the sound of air horns as they desperately listen in hoping to keep up to date on their own failures.

I use it, on occasion.
Tune in at BeyondTheHorizonRadio.com - NOW!

I have some interesting audio clips from SXSW and NASA.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Are these the same idiots that are scared of PvP?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Sperglord posted:

Which leads us to the conclusion that the PU will look very similar to what B'Tak wants, an P2W no, that isn't strong enough to capture CIG's money-making scheme, a Pay 2 Fantasy world. To appease the whales, CIG will structure the game so that there is this hierarchy of success and safety, the top is available to anyone who wants to spend enough. B'Tak's crazy ideas aren't that crazy, if you think that he represents the ideal CIG customer. Someone willing to spend lots of money to feel awesome.

I think you're giving CIG too much credit by assuming that they have factored in the expectations of their crazy whales when planning the gameplay. I mean they've barely planned the gameplay at all, but it cannot have escaped them that their funding model is extremely broken when it comes to post-release projections. Once the game is released these whale backers will stop buying new ships and start playing the game. What CIG wants at release are high sales figures, which means they need to appeal to your standard $50 off the shelf player of which 95% of their playerbase is comprised.

If they don't produce a game that's good for a normal player the whole project will get panned across the pc gaming world and that will instantly kill it. If that happens, no amount of catering to a minority of whales is going to help them, it will still be fatal.

CIG are happy to take the money from whales knowing that their expectations will never be met.

Sperglord posted:

On a separate note, I suspect that CIG is reworking all of the ships because CIG needs to cut poly-count. If you look at the original Vanguard versus with final PU Vanguard, there are clear signs of decreased polygon use through the entire model. CIG can barely get the game working right now, to get a releasable product, they need ships which are not resource intensive. Of course, this is backward game design, but what do I know?

Yeah, I'm certain you're right on that. The ridiculous focus on fidelity has to have a breaking point and I think they've been there for a while now. You can't just keep releasing million polygon pieces of artwork forever, at some point you're going to need to make them work in a game at which point you might as well start again from scratch because your polygon budget will be blown to hell instantly.

The style over substance mentality of this entire project is astonishing.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Happy Sisyphus posted:

One good example was the bartender at the local pub.

She knows I'm a forums poster, which to her just means 'what a loving loser'. Apparently her mother is a redditor, really into EVE. Out of the blue she asks me 'hey, you're a shitposting guy right? Do you know anything about this crazy space game coming out? Has Gary Oldman, Mark Hamill... my mom was talking about it...'

I mean, of all the people to ask. I was actually wearing my Gilganixon comic tshirt at the time.

I realized she was staring at me oddly... then I realized I was laughing.

We chatted about it, showed her some PGabz videos. Even explained my shirt to her. She was going to get a forums account for her mother as a gift for her birthday, and plans to get one for herself to post with her once she has an account herself... which I am also helping her spec out.

The whole thing was a comical exchange, first off, the role reversal. A 20-something daughter asking about some thread her mother was talking about (instead of the usual reverse). Not to mention, of all the people to ask about this thread that frequent that pub... plus actually wearing a Stimpire shirt at the time... I probably spend a little more time than most following this thread's development.

nice fanfic you weirdo

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Had a good chuckle last night thinking about b'tak and everyones fear of piracy unless the pirates are kooky lovable pirates

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

darkarchon posted:

Images broken pls fix

That voodoo.child guy is also batshit insane. Flirting with a woman because her mother talks about starcitizen? In what world do we live in

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

no way the guy talking to the bartender girl with a reddit mom isn't fake posting

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Google Butt posted:

no way the guy talking to the bartender girl with a reddit mom isn't fake posting

that was based on a real post man i dont know what to tell you

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Chalks posted:

I think you're giving CIG too much credit by assuming that they have factored in the expectations of their crazy whales when planning the gameplay. I mean they've barely planned the gameplay at all, but it cannot have escaped them that their funding model is extremely broken when it comes to post-release projections. Once the game is released these whale backers will stop buying new ships and start playing the game. What CIG wants at release are high sales figures, which means they need to appeal to your standard $50 off the shelf player of which 95% of their playerbase is comprised.

If they don't produce a game that's good for a normal player the whole project will get panned across the pc gaming world and that will instantly kill it. If that happens, no amount of catering to a minority of whales is going to help them, it will still be fatal.

CIG are happy to take the money from whales knowing that their expectations will never be met.

I disagree here, Free to Play games make something like half the income from under 1% of the players. We know CIG is responsive to the needs of the high spenders, the subscriber forum and rumored super-whale concierge services confirm that. In this environment, I expect CIG to continue catering to that high spending crowd through gameplay, etc.

What will happen is that CIG will continue releasing ships which cater to the B'Taks of the world, and the B'Taks will keep buying them. A $50 dollar player would come in, buy a basic fighter, and play a correspondingly basic amount of time.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
I was walking down the street wearing my bunny makeup and holding my crossbow with a tennis ball on it and this hot girl comes up and went "Do you know anything about Star Citizen?" and I said "Yes. But if you want to know more you have to give me a blowjob." So she dropped to her knees right there and started blowing my dickcheese covered genitals and I told her about how cool my idris was. Then a group of cheerleaders came by and started feeling me up and I told them they could "crew my turret" anytime they wanted IF YOU CATCH MY DRIFT.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Sunswipe posted:

[QUESTION] Is Money tiny or sitting really far away?

"He's just sitting near Ben. He's regular size"

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

He looks like Mr. Dink from Doug

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
New pleabian citizen stretch goal.

Get the stimpire on CNN, or MSNBC.

Can you imagine if Anderson Cooper had to do a story about the stimpire?

paaaarppp

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Oh hey look at this badge of shame I found in the bottom of a drawer:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

where's the silver bullet guy

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

xanif posted:

I was walking down the street wearing my bunny makeup and holding my crossbow with a tennis ball on it and this hot girl comes up and went "Do you know anything about Star Citizen?" and I said "Yes. But if you want to know more you have to give me a blowjob." So she dropped to her knees right there and started blowing my dickcheese covered genitals and I told her about how cool my idris was. Then a group of cheerleaders came by and started feeling me up and I told them they could "crew my turret" anytime they wanted IF YOU CATCH MY DRIFT.

Dude you must be a total chick magnet, what's your secret?!?! :worship:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Kimsemus posted:

The horror...it lives in a drawer?

My god man, what if you are at a bar? You could just lay it out in front of you and start a discussion of SC with the bartender.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Are we sure that The Stimpire Nation didn't begin with Starcraft? I distinctly remember screaming every time I went to upgrade my stimpacks...

The stimpire is now.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
my mind read that card as "united stimpire of earth" :smith: I've been contaminated.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...-important-npcs

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

hanales posted:

The stimpire is now.

well he's definitely a paedo, 100%.

Or he uses rentboys.....

Nah he's definitely a Nazi.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

aleksendr posted:

I see it as a time saving measure. Before you had to type in context and explanation for shiposting, but now you simply :eonwe:

Want to tell something is sweet and interesting ? Simply :fuzzknot: it and everyone around here understand right away.

Since no one outside this thread knows what you're talking about the most sophisticated use I expect to encounter in the future will be variations of :fuzzknot: :gizz:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kimsemus posted:

Where's your stash of Nazi memorabilia?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

A Neurotic Jew posted:

my mind read that card as "united stimpire of earth" :smith: I've been contaminated.

It's edges are honed to razor edged protection to perform a penectomy. Or it can strike up conversations with other nerds.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

This discussion has been closed

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

xanif posted:

Well. That was enough Internet for the day. I think I'm gonna go scrub my eyes with lysol filled scouring pads.

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

hanales posted:

The stimpire is now.

No seed-spilling here. I collect all my sperm in a jizz jar. That is fine and God will not be angry with me, right?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Cobblers posted:

That thread seems to have been deleted. I suspect Roberts poached it for the squadron 42 script and had the original scrubbed lest his theft was detected.

This thread is the last which remains which tells of the Stimpire. I've invited the Stimperor himself to join my org on the RSI forums as i could use his input in writing the background lore.

Have you heard back from TommyNoble or Zealot, and if so, what did they say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Berious posted:

What actually happened is a female glanced at his nerd shirt so he launched into a 30 minute lecture on stretch goals and saving PC gaming while she pretended to listen and served other customers

Even in their wildest fantasies shitizens are still bitchmade betas.

• Locked thread