Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
The turret is my penis fyi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The best part of this saga is that 10 years from now, goons are going to get excited about some new crowdfunded video game that turns out to be a scam, and next thing we'll know Chris Roberts is going to be posting here talking about how he tried all this poo poo before and knows whats possible and whats not

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Come commandos, on wings of joy we'll fly
To where my bower hangs on high;
Come, and make thy calm retreat,
Among procedurally generated green leaves and blossoms sweet.

Mirificus posted:

Have you heard back from TommyNoble or Zealot, and if so, what did they say?

TommyNoble posts here already, I will leave him to reveal himself. Zealot has declined my org invitation and not replied to my PMs despite my gushing praise of his literary talent and requests for sequels in the Stimpire saga.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Sperglord posted:

I disagree here, Free to Play games make something like half the income from under 1% of the players. We know CIG is responsive to the needs of the high spenders, the subscriber forum and rumored super-whale concierge services confirm that. In this environment, I expect CIG to continue catering to that high spending crowd through gameplay, etc.

What will happen is that CIG will continue releasing ships which cater to the B'Taks of the world, and the B'Taks will keep buying them. A $50 dollar player would come in, buy a basic fighter, and play a correspondingly basic amount of time.

If CIG were releasing SC as a F2P game then I'd agree, but they're trying to compete with games like elite and no man's sky and their pricing model will match. Nobody is going to buy a game where you're outgunned by a pay 2 win space commando as soon as you start, nor will they buy one where obtaining ships is an extremely lengthy process. If ships continue to be sold for $1000 after release, there are two possible scenarios. Either they're not worth $1000 because they can be obtained after a few weeks of play, or the only feasible way to obtain them will be to spend $1000 and SC is a p2w game that nobody wants to play.

Both of these scenarios mean that they don't sell very many ships. One of them has the added bonus that they might get box sales if their game is any good. P2w games with a box cost is a terrible idea and I really don't think CIG are so blinded by their whales that they'd consider it.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

When has common sense or reasonable expectations driven the decision making process at CIG?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

The French Army! posted:

When has common sense or reasonable expectations driven the decision making process at CIG?

I would laugh so hard if they announced SC as a F2P microtransaction based game. But that has about the same chance of happening as them announcing it is now an ipad game.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Has croberts had the totally original idea of a companion app yet?

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

MeLKoR posted:

Since no one outside this thread knows what you're talking about the most sophisticated use I expect to encounter in the future will be variations of :fuzzknot: :gizz:

Meh, the moment you post something associated with you on the web, even if its a blurry picture of a half hand, you have to accept that somewhere, someone with a furious "blurry half hand" fetish is getting lustful ideas by looking at it.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

aleksendr posted:

Meh, the moment you post something associated with you on the web, even if its a blurry picture of a half hand, you have to accept that somewhere, someone with a furious "blurry half hand" fetish is getting lustful ideas by looking at it.

Foot fetishism has almost ruined TV for me. Every time I see an actress barefoot, I think "Well, this scene will be on Youtube with half a million views." Then I feel depressed.

Then I go and masturbate to blurry pictures of half a hand.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

I think this is the post that best describes Star Citizens.

Only way it could be outdone is the same person whining that walking away from important conversations and killing important NPCs shouldn't have bad consequences.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Kimsemus posted:

Question of the hour: Is there a development studio or team on the face of the planet that could pull of Star Citizen?

Let's assume that:

1) Chris/Sandi Roberts are not involved in any way.
2) As far as "pull off" I mean, following the bullet points of promises as outlined in the funding milestones and kickstarter.

I'm really wracking my brain, and I can't think of a team with the unlimited funding, time, and expertise to do this. So to me, CIG being incompetent is not the reason SC will never happen, it's just that eventually, especially after the *original* funding promises were met, that the game became impossible.

Also with the new gas truck thing, having to fuel poo poo manually? Why do they insist on making awful things I don't want to do in real life and transcribing those terrible jobs into a video game I'm supposed to play in my leisure time?

Here's your answer (Hint: No)

http://www.dereksmart.org/2015/07/interstellar-citizens/

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
When will we realize that Pain Marine is just a game mode and that the basic mechanics, eternators, razor injectors, the worst kind of electricity, etc., are in the game right now.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Toops posted:

Ok, few pages back, but I'm gonna try to answer this honestly. I've thought a lot about it. I'm not sorry about the length.

No, I don't think it's possible to make a game of Star Citizen's scope today. It's not because game engines can't do it. It's because we lack the communication and dev tools required to break the art-code boundary.

There's a huge problem in game design that's been there from the start: 3d art assets are tightly coupled to the code that controls them, but they are developed almost completely separately by people with very different kinds of brains. Artists operate in the visual control space. Programmers operate in the logical control space. These modes of thought aren't very compatible. This problem becomes magnified by scope, which is another word for complexity.

The pressure on the art-code boundary rises exponentially with increased complexity. This is why simple games with limited scope have been hitting so hard, and why large projects with unbounded scope keep falling flat. Fallout 4 is a good game, but you can see right where the vision and the execution exploded and had to be walked back to feasibility.

No one can deny CIG has brilliant artists, and very talented programmers. But we can all see what's happening: Some senior 3d artist takes specific vision for an asset and works hard, using every ounce of their technical and creative knowledge to build that asset. Then, through a primitive and largely un-evolved process, they "hand it off" to the engineers, who have poured out every ounce of their capability into a complex framework to control those assets, which meets the technical requirements. Without fail, when the engineers are handed the assets, they go "gently caress. Well, that's not gonna work with the system we've designed." So they hack apart their logical framework, or send it back to the artist to hack apart their visual framework, or both (usually both), and generally squash and dismember the original intent just to get the loving thing to work at all.

Now, throw into this the third wheel, the "visionary," who sees this compromised end-product, and says "Guys, this isn't good enough. Do it again." The artists and engineers know that in a way he's right. He's just an idiot for asking for it in the first place, and not giving them the tools to succeed. But gently caress it, they're still getting a paycheck so they embark again to get it right, and end up make the same exact mistakes.

This is the precise loop that SC is in right now, and the only solution is to reduce complexity. That's the only possible way anything will ever be playable. This is why Derek is spot-on when he says this game won't be delivered as described. But Chris won't do it.

The bottom line is, Chris Roberts is a loving fool for having such hubris and ignorance. You think it's "revolutionary" to take every feature you think is cool and throw it in a soup?? That's the opposite of vision. A visionary sees what other don't, and everyone has seen what he does, and said "nope, that's a terrible idea, because it's not feasible."

^yeah, that - and lots more.

Funny thing, I already this back in July. Some just LOLed

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

lmao that stimpire is on the auto ban list of the cig twitch channel, proving once again that this thread controls the narrative

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

D_Smart posted:

^yeah, that - and lots more.

Funny thing, I already this back in July. Some just LOLed

Mr. Smart! Computer ! Microphone ! Bootcha-Goon-de-Yada Lines ! 2 minutes tops ! Please !

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Madcosby posted:

The best part of this saga is that 10 years from now, goons are going to get excited about some new crowdfunded video game that turns out to be a scam, and next thing we'll know Chris Roberts is going to be posting here talking about how he tried all this poo poo before and knows whats possible and whats not

Derek Smart and Chris Roberts will work on the blog post together and it'll basically turn into some awesome buddy cop movie.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Derek no one likes to hear themselves sing, just record it, DONT loving LISTEN TO IT, and send it off.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
never do it derek

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Cobblers posted:

TommyNoble posts here already, I will leave him to reveal himself. Zealot has declined my org invitation and not replied to my PMs despite my gushing praise of his literary talent and requests for sequels in the Stimpire saga.

Thanks for the update. Now my curiosity is piqued.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Moogle posted:

Speaking as a developer; if you're in the industry and you can't see the giant red flags visible from space, (both the common ones and the less-so) you're a terrible developer. No ifs, buts, or maybes. You're useless at your job and I would fire you in a heartbeat.

to quote from Bojack Horseman, the problem with rose-tinted glasses is that they make all the red flags just look like flags.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

don't do the corny music thing derek

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/318166/should-sell-the-split-differently

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

closed for rule 69, not fellating the dev team endlessly

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6358916/#Comment_6358916

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Hey Derek someone told me you're making a video game I believe there's probably room in there for some rich stimpire lore.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Sperglord posted:

I disagree here, Free to Play games make something like half the income from under 1% of the players. We know CIG is responsive to the needs of the high spenders, the subscriber forum and rumored super-whale concierge services confirm that. In this environment, I expect CIG to continue catering to that high spending crowd through gameplay, etc.

What will happen is that CIG will continue releasing ships which cater to the B'Taks of the world, and the B'Taks will keep buying them. A $50 dollar player would come in, buy a basic fighter, and play a correspondingly basic amount of time.

F2P games need the mass audience too so the whales can flaunt their epeen. No point having a $2500 jpeg if it doesn't come with imaginary social status.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Can someone decipher the backer values for these guys?

Is this dissent common these days?

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

By giving head d'uh

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Lime Tonics posted:

Bootleg BBC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrI_iyBzH4g

STim-StAr.CiTiZeN.DvD.SCR.CAM.1.5aud.mkv

edit : holy poo poo this guys channel is um..sigh, time for another computer again.

Chin posted:

That's fair, but the BBC piece was almost pro-SC propaganda. They mischaracterized the game as primarily crowd-funded and downplayed the ship sales by only briefly mentioning them with a screenshot of a $45 ship purchase. Even in a fluff piece any quasi-journalist should at least mention that there are ships people are buying for hundreds and thousands of dollars -- and not necessarily as a negative/shocking aspect of the story, it's simply a significant point of interest. They also called it massively multiplayer in the present tense, among other inaccuracies.

It was bullshit really. They just wanted "in" on the SC crazy before it all comes crashing down. And the fact that they had an SC shill working for the BBC, might have had something to do with this piece ever being put together; let alone be critical of this entire train wreck.

Note how they too didn't see a SINGLE live game play footage of the elusive SQ42?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Chalks posted:

Top to bottom

High admiral $1K-2500
High admiral $1K-2500
Subscriber
Vice admiral 500-1k

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Chalks posted:

Here's your whale-spotting guide: http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Titles

Fractured and angelarch are High Admiral, meaning $1,000+ in, Sozo's under for $500 and ol' Griefy never actually set their symbol so who knows unless they're flaunting it someplace.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

D_Smart posted:

It was bullshit really. They just wanted "in" on the SC crazy before it all comes crashing down. And the fact that they had an SC shill working for the BBC, might have had something to do with this piece ever being put together; let alone be critical of this entire train wreck.

Note how they too didn't see a SINGLE live game play footage of the elusive SQ42?

To be fair to the BBC, I don't think I've ever seen them cover a video game in anything but a fluff piece, games just aren't their thing. The bit at the end where the guy talks about how he's not seen enough to know whether it's any good and there are many vocal players saying they're not making enough progress is probably some of the most critical coverage of a game I've ever seen on the BBC.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Top to bottom

High admiral $1K-2500
High admiral $1K-2500
Subscriber
Vice admiral 500-1k

Thanks - pretty significant backers then. I wonder how long CIG will be able to hold off this sort of thing if SQ42 has indeed got 100% of their focus and is only expected to appear mid 2017.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

notoriousman posted:

Here's your whale-spotting guide: http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Titles

Fractured and angelarch are High Admiral, meaning $1,000+ in, Sozo's under for $500 and ol' Griefy never actually set their symbol so who knows unless they're flaunting it someplace.

Ok, I get that Wing Commander is higher than all Admirals because of Croberts' ego, but why the blue blazes is Lt. Commander higher than Admiral?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Chalks posted:

I wouldn't say it's common but backers have certainly become a lot more comfortable at expressing dissent since the Star Marine fiasco. In that thread I just posted, those first four posts I posted were the first four posts of the thread.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Chalks posted:

Thanks - pretty significant backers then. I wonder how long CIG will be able to hold off this sort of thing if SQ42 has indeed got 100% of their focus and is only expected to appear mid 2017.

Fairly recent trend.

I have to imagine there is probably a pretty good sized demographic of professionals with "gently caress you" type amounts of money that just want to relive their childhood. Unlike basement katana bunny eared freaks, they aren't afraid to express their minds when they smell a bad deal.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Chalks posted:

To be fair to the BBC, I don't think I've ever seen them cover a video game in anything but a fluff piece, games just aren't their thing. The bit at the end where the guy talks about how he's not seen enough to know whether it's any good and there are many vocal players saying they're not making enough progress is probably some of the most critical coverage of a game I've ever seen on the BBC.

Yeah, the game is not out and considering the number of jobs involved in the UK there's no real reason for them to rush to judgement.

BBC Click is not BBC Panorama.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

Ok, I get that Wing Commander is higher than all Admirals because of Croberts' ego, but why the blue blazes is Lt. Commander higher than Admiral?

Who knows.

Does the saleswoman have a forum account and what is her badge?

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Sunswipe posted:

Because he's a loving idiot?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/pedrocamacho/status/698578254358302720

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Sunswipe posted:

There are more letters in Commander than in Admiral.

• Locked thread