Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

falz posted:

Enjoy upgrading ram and flash on most of those so you can upgrade.

Amazingly, only about 10% of the total set needs hardware upgrades, looks like. That's still a huge mess of ASAs, but not as bad as I'd expected.

Other fun bugs so far:

-Customer had a '!' in the middle of their PSK for a VPN. When upgrading from 9.1(6) to 9.1(7), the '!' just vanished. The key on both sides of it was there, the rest of the config was there, just no '!'. PSK mismatch, tunnel down, mass hysteria.

-Another customer had a NAT statement translating both local and remote subnets for a VPN that covered a private /16 that overlapped all of their segments. This broke the hell out of their ARP cache (as the ASA apparently tried to route everything through this NAT, and discarded ARP requests/replies for that /16 as they came in from the actual servers).

And not a bug, but a possible ITW version of the exploit; we've found a handful of ASAs that suddenly in the last 24 hours picked up local user accounts named 'Administrator'. Our TACACS accounting didn't pick it up when added. Check your local user config lines; the user is added without privileges, (plus if you're only using LOCAL as a fallback they still have to break your primary AAA) but that still gets them into your Client VPNs if they manage to read your PSKs out of the running-config.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think this CVE finally pushed our IT folks over the edge as I got a request in my inbox to do a formal security review of Palo Alto's offering.

Their app-based firewalling is pretty interesting -- maybe I'm too old fashioned but I have a hard time with that paradigm.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Anyone who has been lamenting converting to post 8.4 code (don't judge, this is IT, I saw an ASA today in 7 code), Cisco has released an interim 8.2.5 patch that will fix this CVE. It's 8.2.5(59) or something like that. They released it sometime last night with no fanfare or warning. Patch now and convert later. We've seen more devices get hit with exploits today.

Release Notes.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Imagine being in the rear end in a top hat who has to work on the maintenance release for 8.2.

Martytoof posted:

I think this CVE finally pushed our IT folks over the edge as I got a request in my inbox to do a formal security review of Palo Alto's offering.

Their app-based firewalling is pretty interesting -- maybe I'm too old fashioned but I have a hard time with that paradigm.

Palto Alto is great, but their layer 7 throughput is slightly lacking. Still, they're better than their competitors in the same market (lol Fortinet).

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

psydude posted:

Palto Alto is great, but their layer 7 throughput is slightly lacking. Still, they're better than their competitors in the same market (lol Fortinet).
Yeah but the price.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Jedi425 posted:

Anyone who has been lamenting converting to post 8.4 code (don't judge, this is IT, I saw an ASA today in 7 code), Cisco has released an interim 8.2.5 patch that will fix this CVE. It's 8.2.5(59) or something like that. They released it sometime last night with no fanfare or warning. Patch now and convert later. We've seen more devices get hit with exploits today.

Release Notes.

Looks like they have 4 released fixed versions:
9.4(2)6
9.1(7)
8.4(7)30
8.2(5)59

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Jedi425 posted:

And not a bug, but a possible ITW version of the exploit; we've found a handful of ASAs that suddenly in the last 24 hours picked up local user accounts named 'Administrator'.

We had a couple mysteriously reboot on their own before being patched on Thursday, it's definitely out there.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

psydude posted:

Imagine being in the rear end in a top hat who has to work on the maintenance release for 8.2.

why (lol Fortinet).?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

adorai posted:

Yeah but the price.

Super expensive but it's not coming out of MY budget so I'm perfectly happy to run it through its paces :haw:

DigitalMocking posted:

why (lol Fortinet).?

I haven't had much fun with Fortinet's application detection. Honestly I prefer to run my Fortinets as bog standard firewalls rather than NGFWs.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I considered asking this in the home networking thread but thought I'd get more info here.

I currently have a Netgear 6300v2 wireless AC router. I am looking at putting in a Cisco 2951 at my home network edge (directly connected to the modem, eventually will put an ASA in front of it) and using the Netgear as a wireless access point through a port in a gigabit switch.

What I am not sure of is where will my speeds be capped (beyond the Time Warner modem): at the LAN port of the Netgear, at the wireless HWIC of the router (supports up to 802.11n), or elsewhere?

Do I need the wireless HWIC card (NME-AIR-WLC8-K9) to use the Netgear as an access point? I don't have much experience with Cisco enterprise wireless.

I'm trying to figure out of this is even worthwhile if I have a 6down/1up internet connection in the first place, or if I should just stick with the Netgear and get an ASA.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
All those gungho "we patch critical security vulnerabilities" people who installed ASA 9.1(7) can now install 9.1(7.4) to avoid a bug where ASDM/SSL VPNs shuts down completely. 9.1(7) received the vote of no confidence and was pulled from Cisco's site.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There was a lot of rumblings about an SNMP bug in one of the CVE-fix updates that had IOS reloading again and again -- any news on whether that's been fixed?

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Martytoof posted:

There was a lot of rumblings about an SNMP bug in one of the CVE-fix updates that had IOS reloading again and again -- any news on whether that's been fixed?

Fixed in the interim release, and also the newest 9.1(6) interim. 9.1(6) interim didn't have the SSL fix, possibly because it wasn't broken in 9.1(6). The SNMP bug could be mitigated--as long as you didn't poll a specific OID, it didn't trigger.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Bigass Moth posted:

I considered asking this in the home networking thread but thought I'd get more info here.

I currently have a Netgear 6300v2 wireless AC router. I am looking at putting in a Cisco 2951 at my home network edge (directly connected to the modem, eventually will put an ASA in front of it) and using the Netgear as a wireless access point through a port in a gigabit switch.

What I am not sure of is where will my speeds be capped (beyond the Time Warner modem): at the LAN port of the Netgear, at the wireless HWIC of the router (supports up to 802.11n), or elsewhere?

Do I need the wireless HWIC card (NME-AIR-WLC8-K9) to use the Netgear as an access point? I don't have much experience with Cisco enterprise wireless.

I'm trying to figure out of this is even worthwhile if I have a 6down/1up internet connection in the first place, or if I should just stick with the Netgear and get an ASA.

Assuming you are talking about a 2951 G2 this should answer your question: http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

Even the ancient 1720 could handle a 6mpbs WAN link so I think you are going to be fine. I am wondering why you want a 2951 on the edge though for a home connection. The only reasons I can think of are GRE tunneling or IPv6 prefix delegation. Personally I am a big fan of the ASA. You can pick up an old 5505 or 5510 for cheap if you don't mind an old non PCI complaint (but still reasonably secure) TLS stack or get a modern 5506 if you have a bit more to spend and want a better/modern TLS implementation for AnyConnect VPN.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 23, 2016

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I want gigabit routing within my house but the netgear can already basically do it, however it only has 10/100 LAN ports so there's a bottleneck into the switch. The 2851 has two gig ports and I can get one for $50 or so on eBay.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Contingency posted:

All those gungho "we patch critical security vulnerabilities" people who installed ASA 9.1(7) can now install 9.1(7.4) to avoid a bug where ASDM/SSL VPNs shuts down completely. 9.1(7) received the vote of no confidence and was pulled from Cisco's site.

Have a DDTS for this? I had to pull 9.1(7) from some hosts due to the proxy ARP regression but we haven't hit this one yet.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
RIP XO.

http://www.hngn.com/articles/181499/20160223/verizon-xo-communications-deal-purchase-fiber-optic-network-1-8.htm

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Contingency posted:

I've been running 9.1(7) for a week now on three concentrators (3k~ unique logins) and have not had this issue, but my boxes are pretty simple (no NAT, no routing protocols, etc.). If you have a link to the bug report I'd like to read it.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

abigserve posted:

I've been running 9.1(7) for a week now on three concentrators (3k~ unique logins) and have not had this issue, but my boxes are pretty simple (no NAT, no routing protocols, etc.). If you have a link to the bug report I'd like to read it.

Looking at resolved for 9.1(7.2-4) I see:
CSCux45179
CSCus70693
CSCuy28710

As being the 3 big ones that'll bite people. There's also some nice Sev1s if you still use the IPsec RA client (bypass XAUTH using crafted ISAKMP packet).

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

The NME is a controller for Cisco access points, so it's not really useful for you. Unless you want to put a bunch of cisco access points in your house, which, while pricey, do work really well.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

abigserve posted:

SNMP: https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCuy27428
SSL: https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCux45179

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I have a second hand 2900XL Switch. For some reason I cannot save to the startup config? In privileged exec mode, I would normally type the command copy running-config startup-config. However I cant even autofill the startup-config part. It gives me an invalid command message. Also I cannot change my config-register using the config-register command in global config mode. That command also gives me an invalid command message (and doesnt even show up in the ? help menu) does anyone know whats going on?

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Give "write memory" a try instead. Cisco catalyst switches don't use configuration registers, the routers do. If you want to do a password recovery on a switch then you need to hold in the mode button on the front while you power up the switch or just hold it in when it's booted up which will cause it to reset and in both ways the configuration file gets renamed and so doesn't get loaded into the running configuration.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Which led to this hilarity

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/field-notices/636/fn63697.html

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The express setup can be disabled. Press the mode button when it comes up in console about the flash geometry. About 8 seconds after power on, to enter rommon. Then you can flash_init, etc and manipulate files.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Hah I was reminded of that advisory when I was off-shore on a deep-sea pipe-lay vessel about two weeks ago. Both switches in the main stack had cables in Gi1/0/1 and the boots were pressing the button. I'm amazed that it never caused an issue but at the same time I didn't give a gently caress as the vessel finishes its campaign in three weeks...

Edit: hang on I've just re-read that advisory, is the issue not present on 3750 switches? Because that would explain why we never had any issues on the vessel in question. Also I'm probably an idiot.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 1, 2016

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

"no setup express" saves you on that one. AFAIK with the button just held in the switch will eventually boot up.

I poo poo you not we had a janitor cart in one room that aligned itself exactly with that button and reset a switch and looped a building up for us once when we were deploying 3750s. This was on the "that'll never happen " list up until that point.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Is there any (free) place I can get historical peering information for a specific AS.

Starting Mar 1st, we just had a significant amount of traffic sourced from AS7922 (Comcast) hit our anycast blocks in Amsterdam, whereas before it was hitting our New York sourced block. This may cause latency issues for our platform. I suspect Comcast just turned up some new peering, but I'd like to be sure and see who they peered with recently.

Anyone know?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Powercrazy posted:

Is there any (free) place I can get historical peering information for a specific AS.

Starting Mar 1st, we just had a significant amount of traffic sourced from AS7922 (Comcast) hit our anycast blocks in Amsterdam, whereas before it was hitting our New York sourced block. This may cause latency issues for our platform. I suspect Comcast just turned up some new peering, but I'd like to be sure and see who they peered with recently.

Anyone know?

At least it's only latency issues. Our public net either got dumped or rerouted so badly we lost all internet for a good few minutes. Long enough to generate about 40 tickets. Of course, ISP just threw their hands in the air and exclaimed "Routing!".

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I actually reached out to the Comcast tech contact and he got back to me pretty quickly. Looks like it wasn't anything Comcast did, so now I'm looking at Zayo.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
http://bgplay.routeviews.org

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

I can't get that to work. After reinstalling java, whitelisting everything, low-security, etc, I finally got the option to put in the prefix I'm looking for, butI never get a second popup which is supposed to show the visualization.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Anyone have suggestions on handing change control approval / peer-review?

I'm thinking of building something that centers around Git where admins will do a pull request against the device config that is stored/updated via RANCiD. CCB/Peer-Review can approve/modify/deny the change and merge the PR. Admin would then be free to push out the changes or the setup could be extended with something like Jenkins to automate the changes at set times.

Maybe check out Oxidized or Sweet?

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
More patching, thanks Cisco:
https://tools.cisco.com/security/center/content/CiscoSecurityAdvisory/cisco-sa-20160302-n3k

Nexus 3K

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

You can mitigate by disabling telnet.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

https://stat.ripe.net/special/bgplay

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Thanks. That's exactly what I'm looking for.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

adorai posted:

You can mitigate by disabling telnet.

Unless you're running a 3500 on 6.0(2)A6(1). I'll give you one guess as to which 3K model/version I'm running.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
This is great, we ordered 100Gb EPAs for our ASR1k's and the hardware arrives before Cisco can release the Engineering code for the ESP200's to support the EPA's.. nevermind that they knew we were going to order these since last year.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
This is what you get for running CGNAT :)