Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its probably easier to move Runsecape cash for Chinese money laundering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Asehujiko posted:

According to a future captain of industry hoping to get rich by buying piles of cheap laptops and running Runescape goldfarming bots on them, it's apparently more profitable to sell the gold for buttcoins and cash those out rather than selling the gold directly for €, to the tune of getting about 15% more out of it after the exchange cut.

My question here is, why the gently caress would any buttmerchant buy up runescape gold of all things way above market price?

1) The person wants runescape gold for whatever reason (probably to resell it at a markup) and probably has a lot of bitcoins but not a lot of euros. They're going to lose money exchanging bitcoins for euros, due to middlemen and scammers. So they might actually be saving money by offering a discount in bitcoin

2) "No chargebacks" means that some number of those opportunities are scams, where you send the bitcoins and then you get nothing in return. Like any good scam, the goal is to rope you in by offering a good exchange on a few small deals and then to score a really huge exchange and not actually pay you for it. Offering a discount could be an attempt to lure in good marks

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It came from the amber thread:

McNerd posted:

Bitcoin loans startup Loanbase got hacked by using the MySQL instance from their Wordpress site to run their financial database.

Don't you hate it when your bank's Wordpress account gets hacked?

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

SumYungGui posted:

Someone get that guy an ambulance, it's a legit medical condition to be loving up your words that bad and I think he just had a stroke all over his keyboard. That's just based on the words he typed, getting into the meaning of those words is a whole 'nother can of crazy because what's this poo poo about "The Most Serenei Republic, reunited in congress"?

I'm not gonna read his poo poo but 'Most Serene Republic' is a pretty common state title in Europe (mostly independent city states). Or it was, at least. 'Most Serene' implies sovereignty (ie The Most Serene Republic of Venice).

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

quote:

I guess some really do believe in Bitcoin. I guess some also try to gamble the market while it is going, expecting to get out in time. 

Research shows that during instability of the stock market, you can make money by riding the ups and downs. You can even make more money than the people just holding on to their stocks. In the same way you can also make money by riding the ups and down of Bitcoin, a Ponzi scheme or the lottery. Also more than the ones not playing. 

People tend to overestimate their own abilities. They assume they will be the ones winning and not be the suckers. The suckers would be the ones selling after or buying just before the big crash or not purchasing immediately before the big rise. It would be the ones getting in too late on the Ponzi scheme. 

The Bitcoiners are invested in the dream and desperately want to seem themselves as the smart people getting in early on Bitcoin rather than the ones getting in after the crash. They believe they are among the smart ones and seeing themselves as the suckers losing out in the end is cognitively dissonant with their self-image, forcing them to believe even stronger in their idiocy. 

We, on the other hand, can feel smug we were not among the suckers. We are a bit jealous of those making big money riding the ups and downs so we tell ourselves we always knew it was a scam. 

autoaim.cfg posted:

Isn't he adorable? :3:

Can I keep him? Please? I promise to feed him, clean up after him and take him for his walkies every day!

Pleeease, mom? He's such a cute little thing! Pleeeese?

I guess that, even if some things are wrong, he isn't saying anything outlandish? Back when there was this hype/price spike, I had some acquaintances that managed to buy some bitcoins and cash out with moderate profit (and never touched buttcoins again).

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
I bought bitcoins to use on the silk road and then when the price jumped I bought some more and sold them and made a few grand. I have a friend who made $20k buying early and selling after the hype train took off.

You just have to know when to get the gently caress out, and you have to not become a greedy true believer.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

FishionMailed posted:

I bought bitcoins to use on the silk road and then when the price jumped I bought some more and sold them and made a few grand. I have a friend who made $20k buying early and selling after the hype train took off.

You just have to know when to get the gently caress out, and you have to not become a greedy true believer.

At that point you're basically day trading like everyone else who tries to time the market to get in before the wave and get out before the crash. Which isn't some terrible evil baby killing Hitler-level activity in itself, it is what it is.

Problem is it's not exactly the basis for a world dominating techno-revolution currency. That last part is what people mock in these threads. That and blow-dried strawberries.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

SumYungGui posted:

At that point you're basically day trading like everyone else who tries to time the market to get in before the wave and get out before the crash. Which isn't some terrible evil baby killing Hitler-level activity in itself, it is what it is.

Problem is it's not exactly the basis for a world dominating techno-revolution currency. That last part is what people mock in these threads. That and blow-dried strawberries.

Oh yeah, definitely. It's super risky given the 'commodity' you're trading, too.

For a while I was doing arbitrage between different exchanges (ie MTGOX is buying coins for X but I can buy them from some German exchange for X-10) but the time it takes for transfers to happen and the volatility of BTC meant I wasn't really making a ton of money. Not enough to be worth the hassle anyway.

But its utility as anything beyond a vehicle for people to get hyped about and value highly is nil. It's like when I traded Pokemon cards or sold digital items in Diablo 3. They're useless beyond what people will pay for them. People who think BTC could really replace anything or do anything besides provide a medium to extract money from people are hilarious.

FishionMailed fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 10, 2016

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:frogsiren: it begins: Bitcoin Classic released :frogsiren:

So begins the persecution once more.

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

This is the first Bitcoin Classic release, focused on doubling the transaction capacity of Bitcoin.
It includes a consensus rule change that increases the block size limit from one megabyte to two megabytes.

Bitcoin Classic 0.11.2 is based on Core version 0.11.2, and is compatible with its blockchain files and wallet.

So what's happened? People can send and receive bitcoins faster now?

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
:qq: WHINY SHITHEAD :qq:
*drops mic*

Schlub Husband posted:

So what's happened? People can send and receive bitcoins faster now?

See, the Bitcoin Wagon had wheels that were triangle shaped. Some thought that's not a good shape for a wheel, so they made square shaped wheels instead, to improve the wagon. Now people are angry because some like the triangle shaped wheels and some like the square shaped wheels, so the new and improved Bitcoin Wagon is going to have triangle shaped wheels on the left side and square shaped wheels on the right side. Hop aboard! The ride is ready to depart! TOOT TOOT!

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

autoaim.cfg posted:

triangle shaped wheels on the left side and square shaped wheels on the right side

illustration required

e: animated

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

EorayMel posted:

:frogsiren: it begins: Bitcoin Classic released :frogsiren:

So begins the persecution once more.

So does this mean mining easier or what i dont get buttcoin

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

klafbang posted:

We are a bit jealous of those making big money riding the ups and downs so we tell ourselves we always knew it was a scam.
You seriously overestimate how many people managed to get actual money out of that mess and buy a fancy car with it. It's a shitshow from start to finish.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Pochoclo posted:

What's actually funny is that bitcoin right now is being propped out by chinese criminals trying to smuggle money out of China, which has even worse legal restrictions.

Oh yeah.. and you know how they do it, right? They don't convert their money into bit-coins and then into USD, they buy electricity to power their mining farms, mine butts and convert them into USD. There you go, that's how you should be getting your money out of Argentina!

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

XYZ posted:

It doubles the block size limit; enabling the bitcoin nodes to process more transactions at a time.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

XYZ posted:

Silver95280 posted:

It doubles the block size limit; enabling the bitcoin nodes to process more transactions at a time.

But because some nodes will be using the increased limit and some won't, eventually there's going to be an oversize block that some nodes will process and others won't. Then bitcoin splits into two nearly identical blockchains/networks that overlap each other.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Silver95280 posted:

Big butts.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The blockchain can not lie.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I just remember this startup was trying to hire me about a year and a half ago and their pitch was that they were a financial business blah blah security is important. They were offering a really high salary so i figured id interview then it turns out they wanted to make what sounded like an mtgox clone.

Surely id still be employed today and making bu coup bitsalary

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Remember the Winklevoss twins who previously tried to cash in on facebook?

Were you wondering if they were still trying to make their fortune from bitcoin? Turns out the answer is yes!

http://fortune.com/2015/10/05/gemini-winklevoss-bitcoin/

quote:

The brothers may chafe at the suggestion, but Gemini is also their play for respect, both in the digital-currency world they’ve embraced and in the larger realm of tech entrepreneurs. After making their fame by suing Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg in 2008 and winning a settlement of $65 million, many say the twins haven’t made any noteworthy moves. They are angel investors in 52 different companies through Winklevoss Capital, but almost none are big names. (Three have had exits: ride-sharing startup Hitch sold to Lyft; security firm Authy sold to Twilio; and restaurant-ordering app Caviar sold to Square.)

But they have jumped into bitcoin whole-hog: In 2013 the brothers publicly stated that they owned 1% of all bitcoin in circulation. They will not reveal whether that supply has changed, but at current market price, those 146,893 bitcoins would translate to nearly $35 million. In addition to holding a large amount of coin, they have invested in bitcoin startups, launched a pricing index and now an exchange, and are still working on launching an ETF. Tyler Winklevoss says he and his brother spend “110% of our time” on bitcoin.

Those boys will go far!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
winklevii

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
cool facts about defunct bitcoin exchange mt gox

• name stood for Magic: The Gathering Online Exchange
  • run by French weeaboo Mark Karpeles who left France after ripping someone off on a website he was supposed to make for them
  • had a development staff none of whom could actually make changes - only Karpeles could do that
  • parent company Tibanne is named after Karpeles's cat
  • had no testing environment, only production
  • all company funds and customer deposits went through their one bank account, which was Karpeles's personal account
  • was the standard bearer for bitcoin commerce and bitcoiner pride, right up until it went bust at which point it was an obvious disaster area and anyone could have seen its collapse coming, weak hands to strong stop spreading fud bankster shill
  • endorsed by important bitcoin advocate and ex-US citizen Roger Ver of his own free will https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4SCAw264qM

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Hammerite posted:

• all company funds and customer deposits went through their one bank account, which was Karpeles's personal account

:lol:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Hammerite posted:

He sounds like a captured spy being forced at gunpoint to read a statement about how humanely he is being treated.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 13, 2016

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
Roger Very misleading

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

The_Franz posted:

He sounds like a captured spy being forced at gunpoint to read a statement about how humanely he is being treated.

Seriously, like it was a scripted message to his loved ones to assure them that the Chinese are treating him well.

Who the hell believed that guy?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Hammerite posted:

All lies! mtgox was run by a professional.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

What is this now?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The Bible posted:

What is this now?

He's the ex Turing Pharm CEO, and previous purchaser of that Wu-Tang album, and currently on federal charges for money laundering.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Hammerite posted:

• name stood for Magic: The Gathering Online Exchange

Correction: It's actually Magic: The Gathering: Online Exchange. As in, not an exchange for actual magic cards, but for the Magic Online game which had an inbuilt trading system.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

blowfish posted:

winklevii

I suggest a celebrity couple conjunction nickname to refer to them collectively: Winkelvoss Twin + Winklevoss Twin > "Twinklevoss"

Who's with me

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Filthy Hans posted:

I suggest a celebrity couple conjunction nickname to refer to them collectively: Winkelvoss Twin + Winklevoss Twin > "Twinklevoss"

Who's with me

The plural is Winkletwats.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

The Bible posted:

What is this now?
According to the GiP current events thread, somebody contacted Pharmabro about his offer to buy up Kanye's new album to prevent it's release, Pharmabro gave him $15m in butts to do this. Then it turned out that the person had nothing to do with Kanye and ran off with the money.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Asehujiko posted:

According to the GiP current events thread, somebody contacted Pharmabro about his offer to buy up Kanye's new album to prevent it's release, Pharmabro gave him $15m in butts to do this. Then it turned out that the person had nothing to do with Kanye and ran off with the money.

There doesn't appear to be a transaction of that size on the blockchain; current opinion in the green thread is that it's Shkreli Twitter performance art.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
He later tweeted that he got in touch with Satoshi who was going to get his money back, he is just trolling.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

`Nemesis posted:

He later tweeted that he got in touch with Satoshi who was going to get his money back, he is just trolling.

a sad troll

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I'm sure we can all feel sorry for him for real when he's in prison.

haha yeah right gently caress that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Asehujiko posted:

According to the GiP current events thread,

lol that thread is for racists to laugh at brown people gettin shot and blown up

• Locked thread