Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

EccoRaven posted:

The Conquest has ended with an Arrentish victory, as everyone reading this post knows since pretty much everyone played in it.

Hooray.

I wasn't in this game, thanks for the update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

HiipFire posted:

I wasn't in this game, thanks for the update

mate, even when you sign up for games you aren't in them.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Zetsubou-san posted:

mate, even when you sign up for games you aren't in them.

:wow:

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

EccoRaven posted:

The Conquest has ended with an Arrentish victory, as everyone reading this post knows since pretty much everyone played in it.

Hooray.

I wasn't in it, I am a special snowflake.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
same, after playing 2 soldier games and having no fun I vowed never to play in one again

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
This one was pretty great.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
In my clearly entirely unbiased opinion, it was absolutely fantastic. :v:

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 12, 2016

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I thought it wasn't that fun but mostly because I've realized I don't have interest in mafia anymore :/

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Redeemed soldier's games for me after sparta. The mafia part wasn't stellar but It was v dramatic and exciting to spectate

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I have enough trouble tracking 12 other players, gently caress even trying to track 49 others (or 24 others I don't know how these things work)

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
Slack Mafia #3 is still gathering players!

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
As promised, Kashuno's Cyor has ended so welcome to Choose Your Own Everything!

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
New nailbiter game is recruiting. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764598

Come hunt some alien human scum.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Of course there's mafia here, I should've known. Hi, I'm Kenny!

I played a bunch of Mafia on other, smaller forums back in the day, none of those specific mafia forums though, and a recent IRC conversation got me back in the mood for hosting a game, something I've done on several occasions in the past (and I tend to prefer hosting to playing). Tried to start it up on the related forum but no interest was to be had there. Guess I'll hang out with you guys instead.

So I've been checking some of the game threads and there's definitely some variances in how I'm used for things to work, but I'm studying the wiki so I should be fine. Biggest diff is definitely that votebot you have, I see how that can make things easier.

I'm seeing there's... a bunch of active games and some signups running now, so I assume it's a good idea to wait until some have ended before starting up one. Two questions related to that since I'm new here and can't find anything about it in the thread or on the wiki: What's around here considered the "limit" for how many games is a good idea to be on at once, and is there some kind of queue for prospective hosts (I see there used to be a queue on the wiki for large games but that was discontinued, so wondering if there's some informal queue nowadays)? Back when I used to play elsewhere we never had more than one game running at the same time to avoid fatigue, but those were far smaller communities than SA and so there was not much variance in the active playerbase between games. I will gladly wait my turn.

Another thing that I'm used to playing with but can't find any mention of on the wiki or in any of the completed game threads I've seen is clues to help out the townies, some kind of puzzle or riddle included in the day opening post that, when solved, points to the killer's identity (assuming there was a mafia kill). Usually one player would hold a "cluegiver" role, and once that guy's dead, no more clues for the town, giving the mafia an incentive to hunt down and kill them. There's been some contention about whether or not they're a good idea where I've played and if they're too easy they're definitely too much of a boon for the town. I've definitely been known to err on the side of "how was anyone ever supposed to figure this out" when I've made them for games I've hosted. Has something like that ever been a thing around these parts and I've just missed it? If/when I do host, I am planning on including it, and I figure that after the amount of games that's been played here, changing up the standard format a little isn't considered a bad thing.

Also, do only people with PMs play, or how are communications solved if there's players who don't? (things you only have to take into account on SomethingAwful...)

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Phone posting so this may be kinda brief but

You could start running signups at any point, although depending on how many games are active at the time you may be hard pressed to fill your game especially if it is a larger game. For the most part people do just fire off games when they want to, but occasionally there are times when most people don't post new games (we just had a massive 50 player game going so there was a big drop in games recruiting at that time, for example)

As for games you can be in simultaneously, that's up to you. I play in every single active game all the time because my job is quiet and I can post during work, but others will limit themselves to one or two games at a time. As long as you can contribute at a level that makes you happy, go wild.

The clue giver role sounds interesting, I've never played with a role like that but there isn't really anything preventing you from making that a thing if you choose to for your game. We aren't strict on what roles are allowed and what aren't.

We can communicate via email if absolutely necessary, but it's generally via PMs and if a user doesn't have them but wants to play we usually end up getting them platinum so they can.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

KennyMan666 posted:

I played a bunch of Mafia on other, smaller forums back in the day, none of those specific mafia forums though, and a recent IRC conversation got me back in the mood for hosting a game, something I've done on several occasions in the past (and I tend to prefer hosting to playing). Tried to start it up on the related forum but no interest was to be had there. Guess I'll hang out with you guys instead.

So I've been checking some of the game threads and there's definitely some variances in how I'm used for things to work, but I'm studying the wiki so I should be fine. Biggest diff is definitely that votebot you have, I see how that can make things easier.

I'm seeing there's... a bunch of active games and some signups running now, so I assume it's a good idea to wait until some have ended before starting up one. Two questions related to that since I'm new here and can't find anything about it in the thread or on the wiki: What's around here considered the "limit" for how many games is a good idea to be on at once, and is there some kind of queue for prospective hosts (I see there used to be a queue on the wiki for large games but that was discontinued, so wondering if there's some informal queue nowadays)? Back when I used to play elsewhere we never had more than one game running at the same time to avoid fatigue, but those were far smaller communities than SA and so there was not much variance in the active playerbase between games. I will gladly wait my turn.

Another thing that I'm used to playing with but can't find any mention of on the wiki or in any of the completed game threads I've seen is clues to help out the townies, some kind of puzzle or riddle included in the day opening post that, when solved, points to the killer's identity (assuming there was a mafia kill). Usually one player would hold a "cluegiver" role, and once that guy's dead, no more clues for the town, giving the mafia an incentive to hunt down and kill them. There's been some contention about whether or not they're a good idea where I've played and if they're too easy they're definitely too much of a boon for the town. I've definitely been known to err on the side of "how was anyone ever supposed to figure this out" when I've made them for games I've hosted. Has something like that ever been a thing around these parts and I've just missed it? If/when I do host, I am planning on including it, and I figure that after the amount of games that's been played here, changing up the standard format a little isn't considered a bad thing.

Also, do only people with PMs play, or how are communications solved if there's players who don't? (things you only have to take into account on SomethingAwful...)

Welcome! Sign up for Frictions Xcom game. Its an open setup so should be a pretty good first game to play here to get a feel for how we play

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

KennyMan666 posted:

Welcome! For your first question, there's no queue. Usually when people have a setup ready they make a thread and announce that it's open for signups in this thread and the discussion thread. When there are a lot of games, sometimes signups can stay open for a week before it fills up, and sometimes games fill up in 20 minutes. I would suggest opening your game and being patient about it filling up. If it takes too long you can always close signups and try again in a few weeks. It's a fairly big community and most people play in more than one game at a time, so generally I suggest just going for it.

I've never heard of your cluegiver role, but maybe some of the people who have been here since the dawn of time might have heard of it. It seems very powerful for town, but if balanced properly could work. It does sound like it gives the game a bit of a different feel and more about puzzle solving than social mafia scumhunting, but role madness games turn into that all the time, so I don't think it would be poorly received. I'd make sure you inform your players up front in your signup post that this role will be used, since some people prefer more puzzle-based mafia games and some people really dislike it. That said, people are coming up with new roles all the time, so it's not against some purist code to include it.

Mostly people with PMs play, but you can always have people without PMs give an email with their signup and use that instead.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
Hi, friends!

It's been a long time since I've posted here, but I'm slowly coming out of my shell again, and I have a promise to keep. A big promise.

[Mafia] CYOS: Revenge of the Synth (The 80s)

Promise kept. There's no way this game ends well for anyone.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

EAT THE DONUTS

JakeP posted:

Welcome! Sign up for Frictions Xcom game. Its an open setup so should be a pretty good first game to play here to get a feel for how we play

Yeah we need several more for this game, but all the splatoonfia people up and vanished so I dunno.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

KennyMan666 posted:

Welcome to our crazy community! Your game sounds fun, I'd definitely recommend playing a game with us too so you can see the stupid poo poo we like to do here from the inside. We're really good at inadvertently breaking the best of setups :v:

Also if you haven't found the community discussion thread, it's more fast paced but way more off topic, but it's a fun place to hang out. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3729528

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Thanks for the replies. Right now and for about the coming two weeks I am too busy to either host or play, and I have some more ironing out to do for the game I'm planning anyway. Otherwise I'd definitely sign up for some game! Figured I'd ask my questions before I can feel like oh man I want to start a game right now.

Kashuno: I was actually talking about whether or not it was thought to be a bad idea to have too many games running at the same time, not how many one person would play in. But I guess that is entirely up to how many of the active playerbase feel they want to be in yet another new game.

Asiina: How powerful a cluegiver is depends entirely on how good the host is at making clues. I've both played in games where some clues weren't ever successfully solved even with additional hints* (I've definitely been guilty of this and one of my prime examples involved a file to download, where you were meant to change the file extension into I believe a rar file, which was password protected and the password was an obscure reference that however was part of the flavor of the game and hinted at in the story post, and then the file inside that should also be changed to a different filetype, and only then would you get the solution, if we hadn't added even another level of encryption - this was many many years ago and I've never made anything quite as insane since but I've usually tried to have the solution require at least two steps to actually figure out. On the flip side, while easy clues make the town too strong, too hard clues don't really help the mafia, especially if you're used to playing without clues. Also, in one game, a mafia member posted a completely insane fake cluesolve and got a power role they knew about lynched for it - and thus was the term "sherman crab tank" born in the mafia playerbase on that forum since said fake cluesolve involved such a tank) and games where several clues were very easy to solve so the mafia got steamrolled. What I like with clues is that it gives the town something to go on, something you even as a vanilla townie can actually do to try to figure out who the mafia is before you have any other concrete info to use. It's one of the reasons games I've played have tended to include a night 0 mafia kill as well, but I understand from the wiki that that's not usually done here. And I can't say I don't understand why. Will definitely be upfront with that the game would contain clues.

*if there is a clue for a mafia member out there and the same member is later used for another kill, sometimes the new clue builds on the last one to make it easier to solve rather than be an entirely new puzzle, thus in a roundabout way giving the mafia an incentive to use different people for their kills.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 20, 2016

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's hard to say how many active games is a good amount. Small (under 20 players) and Large games change that variable as well. The best way to find out is to throw something out and see if it gets filled!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The main reason I think there's no N0 here is that nobody wants to sign up for a game they'll never be able to play. Also if that happens to be one of your power roles, you have basically unbalanced your game before it even begins.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

EAT THE DONUTS
XCOM Mafia is still looking for several more players

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764598

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I for one would be down for crazy rear end ARG esque clue shenaningans so game on, friend.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

EccoRaven posted:

Hooray.

The person who told everyone the intimate details of the Nemchek Campaign just found herself killed. Come join the faculty and students of the University of Ravenwood, and try to untangle this web of murder and mayhem.

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 26, 2016

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

EAT THE DONUTS
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764598

Still need a few more players to get this game rolling, come shoot dirty humans and break a Lumpen setup.

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!
I'm a crazy rear end wizard, I ain't gonna die

Or rather a Wizard Mafia, is a 21 person role madness game. Come be a wizard (or kill wizards) the only thing you have to lose is time.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

EAT THE DONUTS
Four more slots for XCOM mafia!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Exploring the Void, a mafia/choose your own adventure hybrid game for 25 players, is taking sign-ups now!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Made a thing: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3767391

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Over halfway to Exploring the Void! Come be part of a cool CYOA story AND kill people!

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!

Doktor Per posted:

I'm a crazy rear end wizard, I ain't gonna die

Or rather a Wizard Mafia, is a 21 person role madness game. Come be a wizard (or kill wizards) the only thing you have to lose is time.

Whoa, we're half way there
Whoa, livin' on a prayer
Take my hand and we'll make it - I swear
Whoa, livin' on a prayer

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Archer: Vice, a mafia game for 13 players, is now recruiting.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
One more day of recruiting for Exploring the Void! A mafia/cyoa crossover adventure

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I know we don't have a queue or anything anymore, so I just wanted to give a heads up that I have a 15 player setup ive been cooking up that I think im going to run once a few other games finish up, possibly next week or the week after. This is my first game ever modding so it should be very balanced and fair and very fun.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Come join You Look Like poo poo Mafia, a game for at least 15 players.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Overwatchfia a Mafia game for 21 players is now recruiting and will start whenever it fills (however long that takes)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768916

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Byers2142 posted:

Hi, friends!

It's been a long time since I've posted here, but I'm slowly coming out of my shell again, and I have a promise to keep. A big promise.

[Mafia] CYOS: Revenge of the Synth (The 80s)

Promise kept. There's no way this game ends well for anyone.

I am literally furious I missed this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

lol