Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
^^ that is the second most terrifying thing I've seen this weekend. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

Made my last Star Citizen transaction this past week.

It's been awhile since I last logged in to the RSI site (since I sold all my ships on the market). I've been completely stuck with Beer's Caterpillar (thanks, Beer!), though. which he sold me last January during one of his purges, so like it or not I have a permanent $225 investment in SC. The only issue was, I stood to gain nothing from that standalone ship at all, only if SC actually went live would I actually have access to it.

To my surprise/delight on the RSI site, there was an "unmelt store" which had the small collection of things I melted, including my ORIGINAL pledge ($30) for an Aurora LX, back during kickstarter days. Figuring to hedge my bets, I melted the Cat', unmelted the Advanced Starter LTI package, and was all set. I now have access to SC, SQ42, and digital goodies, just in case any of them ever come out.

I'm only doing this because I hope that, at the very least, SQ42 comes out and I can enjoy some single-player space sim fun (I cut my teeth on X-Wing/TIE/WC/SL, and before that on Atari's Star Raiders). I trust Erin a ton more than I trust Chris to put out good product, at any rate. I could care less about SC now.

Yesterday, I realized I was still sitting on $195 of store credit and figured I would use that up. There was only one option. I bought the Constellation Andromeda upgrade. It's funny, because that's the package I originally wanted during the kickstarter, but space madness hadn't kicked in for me yet. I've come full circle!

My balance on RSI is finally $0. My bets are hedged. I am 100% stuck with the ship that I have, and I spent $0 extra doing it. Aside from eventually downloading SQ42, this will probably be my last transaction with the RSI site.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled "life" program... ;)

Stalkerr fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 14, 2016

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Stalkerr posted:

It's been awhile since I last logged in to the RSI site (since I sold all my ships on the market). I've been completely stuck with Beer's Caterpillar (thanks, Beer!), though. which he sold me last January during one of his purges, so like it or not I have a permanent $225 investment in SC. The only issue was, I stood to gain nothing from that standalone ship at all, only if SC actually went live would I actually have access to it.

To my surprise/delight on the RSI site, there was an "unmelt store" which had the small collection of things I melted, including my ORIGINAL pledge ($30) for an Aurora LX, back during kickstarter days. Figuring to hedge my bets, I melted the Cat', unmelted the Advanced Starter LTI package, and was all set. I now have access to SC, SQ42, and digital goodies, just in case any of them ever come out.

I'm only doing this because I hope that, at the very least, SQ42 comes out and I can enjoy some single-player space sim fun (I cut my teeth on X-Wing/TIE/WC/SL, and before that on Atari's Star Raiders). I trust Erin a ton more than I trust Chris to put out good product, at any rate. I could care less about SC now.

Yesterday, I realized I was still sitting on $195 of store credit and figured I would use that up. There was only one option. I bought the Constellation Andromeda upgrade. It's funny, because that's the package I originally wanted during the kickstarter, but space madness hadn't kicked in for me yet. I've come full circle!

My balance on RSI is finally $0. My bets are hedged. I am 100% stuck with the ship that I have, and I spent $0 extra doing it. Aside from eventually downloading SQ42, this will probably be my last transaction with the RSI site.

I'm not following the "only interested in SQ42 but spent $195 on a space ship that won't be usable in SQ42" thing you've got going on here.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Stalkerr posted:

I guess this is the bargaining stage?

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

Chalks posted:

I'm not following the "only interested in SQ42 but spent $195 on a space ship that won't be usable in SQ42" thing you've got going on here.

It's money I spent over a year ago, when I was still interested in SC. Effectively it's trapped value... might as well get some promise of future return (a package) rather than absolutely zero (a standalone ship). Even if it's all just ephemeral anyway, and is effectively "checking a box".

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

D_Smart posted:

Sorry man, the game is in development and servers go up/down all the time. Though we were working it yesterday, I don't see a problem. Can you try it again?

http://lodmmo.com/server-codes/
I know, I was just rubbing you bit.

Us west 01 keeps giving the same drat ERR1010 without fail. 02 connects, although the lag is something horrible. Then again I do live in Finland so I'm not going to hold that out on you too much. Gotta say though, the lack of collision detection on the model is really jarring when my gun constantly disappears into walls and whatnot. Never mind those bots either..

Other thing though is that the hand placement on heavy guns looks really hosed up.

Where is that hand coming from? My chest? Besides, it's obscuring the gun model completely.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Stalkerr posted:

It's money I spent over a year ago, when I was still interested in SC. Effectively it's trapped value... might as well get some promise of future return (a package) rather than absolutely zero (a standalone ship). Even if it's all just ephemeral anyway, and is effectively "checking a box".

I believe there is a third course: Get a Refund.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

MeLKoR posted:

Derek Smart's Grabby Hands

The Stims

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

Sillybones posted:

I don't believe that's possible when the only ship in your hangar is one you bought from a third party after the "can only trade a ship once" cutoff? I could be wrong.

Besides, I already made a profit off this game last year on the market. I'm not "mad about spaceships", not enough to go through the effort to make a refund happen anyway.

I've written off the money I have trapped in RSI. If something happens, great, I get to benefit. If nothing happens, oh well, I learned my lesson a long time ago.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sillybones posted:

Didn't they basically cut off all refunds, especially for grey market shits?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Do we get a 10ftc tomorrow?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beet Wagon posted:

Didn't they basically cut off all refunds, especially for grey market shits?

Yes. All refund requests get the '14 day hurr game is finished" notice. So you have to fight it. CIG is going to do whatever they can to keep your money.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Stalkerr posted:

I don't believe that's possible when the only ship in your hangar is one you bought from a third party after the "can only trade a ship once" cutoff? I could be wrong.

Besides, I already made a profit off this game last year on the market. I'm not "mad about spaceships", not enough to go through the effort to make a refund happen anyway.

I've written off the money I have trapped in RSI. If something happens, great, I get to benefit. If nothing happens, oh well, I learned my lesson a long time ago.

At this point that's the best attitude to have. If you can't sell it or get a refund, embrace the suck and move on.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dusty Lens posted:

Yes. All refund requests get the '14 day hurr game is finished" notice. So you have to fight it. CIG is going to do whatever they can to keep your money.

In this case there is nothing to fight, unless you have money with them there's nothing to refund.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Christ, just noticed they pulled in $285K yesterday.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Colostomy Bag posted:

Christ, just noticed they pulled in $285K yesterday.

There's always more idiots. Plus people speculating on dual packages having value.

So more idiots.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

There's always more idiots. Plus people speculating on dual packages having value.

So more idiots.

It's starting to feel to me like more and more of these numbers might be made up. That's an obscene amount of money to attribute to a single day of bad decision making. There's a lot more information on the web now, even compared to just 6 months ago, indicating what's going on with this project. If the numbers are indeed real, then I overestimated humanity yet again.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Scruffpuff posted:

It's starting to feel to me like more and more of these numbers might be made up. That's an obscene amount of money to attribute to a single day of bad decision making. There's a lot more information on the web now, even compared to just 6 months ago, indicating what's going on with this project. If the numbers are indeed real, then I overestimated humanity yet again.

If CIG were lying would it be tantamount to fraud, since they were misrepresenting their financial health while courting new backers?

Star Citizen has dramatically altered my expectations for the human race.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Star Citizen has dramatically lowered my expectations for the human race.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If CIG were lying would it be tantamount to fraud, since they were misrepresenting their financial health while courting new backers?

Well they are double-dipping into the "financial health" well in an interesting way. They changed their TOS more than once in a borderline-fraud move to avoid releasing the very financials they promised to release. Cultists screech in their defense that a private company is not obligated to release financials.

However, on the other hand, they're perfectly fine releasing one part of their financials - their daily donation income - which coincidentally happens to be the part most likely to mislead potential backers into believing that the project is healthy. Cultists are curiously silent about that - if a private company is not obligated to release financials, then none of this should be visible.

Unless, of course, it's to CIG's advantage to hide one aspect of their cash flow, while going out of their way to draw attention to the other, to the degree that their web design is directly linked to it. It's almost as if they planned it this way from the beginning.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 14, 2016

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Didn't the PU/S42 split happen yesterday? Probably the reason for a spike in sales as the last of the on the fence idiots go plummeting over into madness.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It strikes me more and more that this is really just like seeing behind the curtains on a successful mobile FTP game with a cash shop. Stupid amounts of money falling into it for no discernible reason.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

Scruffpuff posted:

It's starting to feel to me like more and more of these numbers might be made up. That's an obscene amount of money to attribute to a single day of bad decision making.

Swedish mafia! Swedish mafia!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Stalkerr posted:

You upgraded your bought back LX, is the package giftable? I'm not suggesting you sell it, I just wonder if using your token to pay with RSI credits means it's locked or not as I don't know.

AP fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 14, 2016

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Scruffpuff posted:

Yeah, the counter doesn't make sense. From 100 million to 108 million they gained roughly 192k users in that time, and made 8.5 million. Unless there is whales buying multiple packages everyday as a silent investors or something, the rate of user growth is skewed.

Shady as a used car lot with bad physics if you ask me.

edit : http://imgur.com/q6jgUVI the 100 million "milestone" for reference. Imgur is being weird so direct link.

Lime Tonics fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 14, 2016

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

KM Scorchio posted:

Didn't the PU/S42 split happen yesterday? Probably the reason for a spike in sales as the last of the on the fence idiots go plummeting over into madness.

Right, strip out the past spending trend and it looks like around 4-5K starter packs.

But that's a bad guess, probably a lot of people got sucked in and bought shiny jpegs.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

It's starting to feel to me like more and more of these numbers might be made up.

Mrs saw BBC Click this morning while round at her mothers and brought the subject up with me, I don't bore her with this poo poo normally as she wouldn't be interested. I don't know what the audience figures are but it's probably a million or two.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Also, this thread is great too,

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/318153/dear-cig-none-of-your-free-flight-people-have-any-idea-what-to-do

But, THIS THREAD is the greatest.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

AP posted:

You upgraded your bought back LX, is the package giftable?

No, it mentions when you unmelt that whatever you unmelt is ungiftable. It's effectively like CIG is "gifting" the package back to you, in exchange for store credit, the same as if a player had done so.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Lots of people on here with a much better handle on the income, burn rate theories, etc. than I have, but I think sometimes just looking at the project from a simpler vantage point can be revealing.

With over $100 million, CIG failed to make Star Citizen. That much we know. The PTU is the closest they were able to get, and it's a bad tech demo on the verge of code collapse.

Now, knowing that $100 million dollars resulted in failure, they throw the remaining cash behind SQ42. At this point, the question becomes, how much money does SQ42 have to bring in for Star Citizen, as promised, to come to fruition? Never mind all the technical reasons it can or can't be done, never mind Chris Roberts' stupidity, never mind 64-bit positioning, mo-cap, and all that bullshit Derek and others predicted from a technical standpoint. Here, in the real world, CIG has already failed. They reached a huge income milestone and they have poo poo to show for it. So whatever income they have left, even if it's enough to weather all of 2016, is going toward a different product.

So if $100 million was not enough to make Star Citizen, how much will it take? If SQ42 gives them another $100 million, will that be enough? How many years have they been at it? Will 5 more do the trick? What about another $200 million, will that work? And what do they think other development companies will be doing in that time? How about hardware manufacturers? APIs? Development doesn't occur in a vacuum. Take too long loving around, and the world passes you by.

And on top of that, SQ42 isn't even a complete product - it's the first in a long series. That's gonna suck some funds out too. So when exactly does Star Citizen the pseudo-mmo get enough attention to even begin development?

It's clear to me that the end-game here was for Chris Roberts to make his awful single-player game - but no publishers wanted to go anywhere near the guy. So he lied to absolutely everyone, and promised poo poo he never intended to deliver, in order to fund it. Star Citizen, like Star Marine, was just a "game mode" - a hypothetical promise of multiplayer space-pew-pew that just didn't work out. Every million he makes will make the fallout that much worse when the collapse comes.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 14, 2016

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

PG's videos should be the training videos of choice in the verse.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Stalkerr posted:

No, it mentions when you unmelt that whatever you unmelt is ungiftable. It's effectively like CIG is "gifting" the package back to you, in exchange for store credit, the same as if a player had done so.

I'm not surprised with RSI credits, I think if you had unmelted with cash instead it would giftable but I might be wrong.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Sucking CIG's dick : a lesson in cradling the balls

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/315904/well-done-cig-would-you-work-in-a-place-like-this-a-happy-thread

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I'm getting pretty tired of people crediting Chris with having a "vision". Saying that literally EVERYTHING you can think of would be cool in a game is not a vision. Anyone can do that. "Wouldn't it be cool if we had a space game where you could do literally ANYTHING?!?" Wow, what an incredible vision - amazing you had it first.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

It's clear to me that the end-game here was for Chris Roberts to make his awful single-player game - but no publishers wanted to go anywhere near the guy. So he lied to absolutely everyone, and promised poo poo he never intended to deliver, in order to fund it. Star Citizen, like Star Marine, was just a "game mode" - a hypothetical promise of multiplayer space-pew-pew that just didn't work out. Every million he makes will make the fallout that much worse when the collapse comes.

If as we believe with good reason he can't get even close to Star Citizen with CryEngine, I wonder if he'll play for more time and go for an engine change. If they manage to limp along until SQ42 is released and it's crap, I can see him saying "well the engine didn't work out but we have all these finished assets we can port over" as that would be more tempting than admitting defeat, defeat would kinda make selling more crap a lot harder.

A fair few Citizens will think, hey it's only another four two years and keeping the dream alive when you've spent $5k like Karl might be the best outcome they see, the alternative is admitting you are an idiot and that horrible Derek fella was right.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

the silent majority has risen, make the RSI forums great again

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Agreed, Chris's vision and the way he is attempting things never before seen will drive this project on to a successful conclusion

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Also fidelity, never before have we seen these kind of graphics

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm getting pretty tired of people crediting Chris with having a "vision". Saying that literally EVERYTHING you can think of would be cool in a game is not a vision. Anyone can do that. "Wouldn't it be cool if we had a space game where you could do literally ANYTHING?!?" Wow, what an incredible vision - amazing you had it first.

Chris needs to go to Specsavers cause his vision is hosed!

Happy Sisyphus posted:

the silent majority has risen, make the RSI forums great again

If I had the strength to go on RSI and shitpost incessantly I would, but it's soul destroying seeing those idiots sucking croberts dick.

So I shitpost here, hi googlebutt!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

Also fidelity, never before have we seen these kind of graphics

If you're looking for ideas for future videos, the graphical pop-in issues are pretty terrible for a space game with incredibly large maps. I also think making fun of the graphics will send some people completely crazy if that influences you at all.

• Locked thread