Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
That's good, cartoony stuff. Have you thought about a comic or taking up animation or something? I could see that style lending itself well to that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

I made a painting. It's been like 2 years at least since I used oils. They're super fun to work with though, and I'm really pleased with how it turned out. This was about 10 hours of painting. Unfortunately it's really hard to capture how vibrant it is in real life.

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax

dog nougat posted:

I made a painting. It's been like 2 years at least since I used oils. They're super fun to work with though, and I'm really pleased with how it turned out. This was about 10 hours of painting. Unfortunately it's really hard to capture how vibrant it is in real life.

That's sick. I dig it.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Thanks! I was determined to get the main composition finished in one day. Still wanna add either text or a background. It's my first new piece for a group show coming up in a less than 2 weeks. Thank goodness for liquin, otherwise there's no way it'd be remotely dry by then. It should be dry enough to handle by the 26th. Anything else I do to this piece will be in acrylics though.

I really need to learn to work on my art more consistently, so I have a solid and cohesive body of work to submit in the future. I registered for the show less than 2 months before it started, so time was tight to begin with. I live in NOLA, so nothing was accomplished Mardi Gras week either. Fortunately I have a roadmap of sorts for the other pieces I'll submit, still gonna be a lot of late nights and long days. Plus I have pieces I can recycle/repair/finish to flesh out the 8 pieces I said I'd have.

Moving forward though, my goal is to do at least 1 complete painting per month. I owe it to myself to do it. The sense of accomplishment and joy I got from making this piece was awesome and I really want to keep that feeling going.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I wouldn't add anything to it. It's fine the way it is. Text would probably take away from it, honestly.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Been trying to do more framed artwork, the painting inside was an old canvas that had been sat around for ages, I liked the back of the canvas more than the front, used a Stanley knife to cut it out and then stuck to a board to be framed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Been trying to do more framed artwork, the painting inside was an old canvas that had been sat around for ages, I liked the back of the canvas more than the front, used a Stanley knife to cut it out and then stuck to a board to be framed.

Do you have a better pic? It looks really good from afar, but the blurriness kind of ruins any textures.

No pressure though if you don't.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Nude posted:

Do you have a better pic? It looks really good from afar, but the blurriness kind of ruins any textures.

No pressure though if you don't.

Slightly clearer, taken just this moment.

ghost crow
Jul 9, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
^^^Really digging what textures I can see, is that an oil painting?

My room has poo poo lighting but I started attending an atelier, just finished up my first bargue plate.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

ghost crow posted:

^^^Really digging what textures I can see, is that an oil painting?

The painting was done by mixing printer inks like I always do, but i liked how they look from the back cause they were blurrier, so what you're looking at is the back of the canvas.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

ghost crow posted:

My room has poo poo lighting but I started attending an atelier, just finished up my first bargue plate.
NICE. Which atelier are you going to? Is it ARC APPROVED(R)????

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
I've been in a rut lately where I feel like I paint something very rough and in progress that I'm optimistic about in a few hours/days, then spend weeks redoing parts of it and trying to add details, working slower and slower until I get fed up and abandon it or stop painting entirely for a while. Most frustrating of all, I feel like it often ends up worse than it was at the in-progress step.This particularly happens when I'm not working directly from a reference where I can at least see if features are in the right place, shadows missing, etc.

I'm sort of vaguely aware that literally every painter in history feels this way to some degree, but I've never had an instructor or artistic friend to get feedback from and I thought it would help to get some in-progress perspective, before I totally ruin another one.

Does anyone have any general tips on this? What areas totally suck, what needs to be fleshed out more, what should be left alone/replaced entirely?

http://imgur.com/GtM1oV0

Edit -

I'm so sorry I forgot to reply to this.

neonnoodle posted:

It looks like Nielly works in oils, which are going to have a higher pigment density than acrylics. Pigment density is the absolute determinant of color intensity when you control for all other factors. However, I don't think it's impossible to achieve that kind of striking color with acrylics.

The other thing is that Nielly's colors can be arbitrary because she has a good handle on value. It really doesn't matter what colors you use in a graphic arrangement of values. Like for example, all of these are still recognizable as a human face etc. because the values remain correct, even though the colors are nuts:

Here is one of Nielly's paintings in B&W:

The colors don't matter -- but that's why she can get away with really outrageous colors.

I was certain Nielly was acrylics for some reason. Thank you for the value demonstration- I think I was too focused on the colors themselves, and the B&W image does make it way clearer what's going on.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 20, 2016

Saddamnit
Jul 5, 2003

I have brained my damage.
Painted a few things over the past few weeks:

ghost crow
Jul 9, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

neonnoodle posted:

NICE. Which atelier are you going to? Is it ARC APPROVED(R)????

It's Sadie Valeri's atelier in San Francisco. Picked it because she has very reasonable rates for part time study. It is ARC approved for whatever that's worth.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

The painting was done by mixing printer inks like I always do, but i liked how they look from the back cause they were blurrier, so what you're looking at is the back of the canvas.

Cool texture. Are you talking about inks from an inkjet printer (as opposed to screen printing ink) because I've been interested in trying this actually. Do printer inks behave roughly like oil paints? I imagine printer ink might be a bit more pigment rich so it'd need to be diluted more.

Unrelated: I posted these paintings I did recently in a chat thread but maybe they belong here more.
This one is acrylic on posterboard and jigsaw puzzle pieces

This one is acrylic with a tiny bit of aerosol

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Cool texture. Are you talking about inks from an inkjet printer (as opposed to screen printing ink) because I've been interested in trying this actually. Do printer inks behave roughly like oil paints? I imagine printer ink might be a bit more pigment rich so it'd need to be diluted more.

Yeah inkjet printer, you can get a pack of yellow blue and red or a pack of black, you also get little plastic syringes which are great for spurting ink everywhere.
I'd recommend getting a canvas and throwing some ink about,it's fun (wear scruffy clothes).

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Proper inks, powder and emulsion,managed to sell this one.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Study from this morning.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
First ever attempt to paint anything. "Yin and Yang" oil on canvas.

Let me have it. :/

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

pr0k posted:

Nothing about these really says yin/yang to me except maybe red and green being complimentary colors, but there's so little green in the left painting it's a tenuous relationship at best. Titles are incredibly important in defining a piece and how it'll be interpreted.

Technique. Clean your brushes. Your red is super muddy looking, granted the picture quality is kinda bad. But it looks like you painted the red with blue still on your brush, making it look sloppy. Overall both pieces feel impulsive and not really planned out in any real way. Having a general plan of what you want to accomplish is super important. You may not always reach the vision you have, but you'll encounter happy and not so happy mistakes along the way. It'll really help you to grow as an artist if you have some concept of where things went wrong or didn't.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Thanks!

Considering my original plan was to paint waves crashing on a beach, that's not too bad of a critique. Turns out painting is a lot harder than it looks.

Should I try to go over it with a cleaner brush? You are right, I really had no vision at all and made some random marks and then forced them to be something. And yes, the picture is awful. The green on the left is yellow/gold, with a spot of red. The idea was that the left is the male force and the right is the female force, since the plan was to hang it over the bed. I was also thinking of putting an orange streak across both instead of the white, with red and white highlights in the middle somehow...?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

pr0k posted:

I'll leave technique issues to those that know about it, but the composition is kind of a mess. That strong horizontal line isn't really doing anything other than making it look like the canvas ends there. The branches, meanwhile, don't really do anything; having them merge or end near that horizontal line enforces that sense of the canvas ending, there's not much in the way of interesting forms, and there's no balance to speak of on the left piece. The one on the right is closest to doing something interesting, but the only vibe I'm getting from it is "pouring out a can of coke".

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

pr0k posted:

Thanks!

Considering my original plan was to paint waves crashing on a beach, that's not too bad of a critique. Turns out painting is a lot harder than it looks.

Should I try to go over it with a cleaner brush? You are right, I really had no vision at all and made some random marks and then forced them to be something. And yes, the picture is awful. The green on the left is yellow/gold, with a spot of red. The idea was that the left is the male force and the right is the female force, since the plan was to hang it over the bed. I was also thinking of putting an orange streak across both instead of the white, with red and white highlights in the middle somehow...?

Honestly, no. I wouldn't go back and try to touch it up/fix it. It's incredibly difficult to do that and only with lots of experience is it possible. I'd chalk it up to a learning experience. What I'd do if the paint's still wet, and it probably is. Take a rag with your turpentine or whatever thinner you're using and wipe the canvas down completely and start again. Painting is super difficult and takes a lot of time to learn. You probably won't make anything "good" for a while, but will learn a lot in the process.

If you really do want to learn how to paint, start with still life stuff and slowly move on to the more imaginative stuff later. Life painting is relatively easy comparatively since all the colors are there in front of you and not in your head and fugitive. It'll still take at least 20+ paintings until you'll start having a concept of what you're doing.

Watch some tutorial videos for oils as well, there's a huge variety of mediums out there for oils.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I painted a thing.

Skydiving hotdog. 3'x3' acrylic on canvas.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

dog nougat posted:

I painted a thing.

Skydiving hotdog. 3'x3' acrylic on canvas.

How do you have such nice lines? :pwn:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Years of practice. I used a Montana refillable paint marker with golden hi-flow acrylics. It kinda feels like cheating, but it'd take forever for me to do those lines with a brush.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Bonus detail shot of the face.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
A marker!?! Cheater!!! I use a 10/0 detail brush for my lines and dear god is it bitch to do large amounts of line work.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah that's why I used a marker. Time constraints dictated that I go that route. I have a group show coming up Friday, so it's mega crunch time... Not gonna be getting much sleep.

I far prefer using a brush, but on a piece this large I wasn't about to do that to myself with such a tight deadline. I have 3-4 pieces left to finish by Friday, so any shortcut I can take is the only way I'll accomplish this... If I didn't have a job to go to I'd be fine, but I like having a house to live in and eating food.

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax
Quick question thread: In your experience(s), what are the qualities of wood panels that make it preferable to some artists as opposed to canvas? I've been considering switching over mostly because of how time consuming canvasing can be.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
It already super smooth so it doesn't have to be primed like crazy to eliminate texture. Also the panel's are less susceptible to expansion and shrinking like a canvas is. The panel won't suddenly get all slack, but it can warp and crack. You can use things like gouache on a panel whereas a canvas is too flexible and the paint will crack and flake.

Panels are what a lot of the "old masters" painted on, until somewhere around the early 17th century if I recall correctly. Panels can get really heavy, esp compared to a canvas once the sizes get up there.

Edit: I'd still sand the gesso on a panel before painting though. That rough texture will tear your brushes to shreds.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Double post.

Finished another piece.

"Eat poo poo". 18" x 24". Acrylic on canvas

The stupid camera on my phone can't capture how vibrant this piece is.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

dog nougat posted:

Double post.

Finished another piece.

"Eat poo poo". 18" x 24". Acrylic on canvas

The stupid camera on my phone can't capture how vibrant this piece is.

If that blue's what I think it is it's a fantastic color

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
It's more green in real life. It's a mixture of pthalo blue (green) with some hansa yellow and titanium white to give you an idea of the tone. It's a beautiful teal color.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I hate acrylics. Unfortunately no place near me sells golden open mediums, so trying to do a giant gradient using retarder was a colossal exercise in frustration and defeat. I'm convinced that the canvas in question is cursed. It's now had 3 incomplete paintings on it.

In the meantime I framed this piece.

I was going to paint it... Still might. Not 100% sure, I have to decide on what to put on the final canvas. Just one 12x16 painting and some lettering left.

Don't procrastinate kids.

Fake edit: anyone tried the liquitex blending medium? While researching how to potentially fix or even actually paint a gradient I came across a video about it. It looks like it could work for my purposes of increasing the open time of acrylics slightly.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

dog nougat posted:

It's more green in real life. It's a mixture of pthalo blue (green) with some hansa yellow and titanium white to give you an idea of the tone. It's a beautiful teal color.

Haha, yeah I guessed wrong. Liquitex has a bottle blue that looks just about like that in the picture and it's probably my favorite color ever (and I don't even really paint).

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
You should. Painting is an incredibly rewarding experience. I'm all about mixing colors though to create colors that you can't get out of a tube. I find it helps to make a more dynamic and interesting piece overall. Plus color mixing is fun.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

A couple of characters from my head.

... and some random portraits of real people.

One last one from a few hours ago.

dog nougat posted:

I hate acrylics. Unfortunately no place near me sells golden open mediums, so trying to do a giant gradient using retarder was a colossal exercise in frustration and defeat. I'm convinced that the canvas in question is cursed. It's now had 3 incomplete paintings on it.

In the meantime I framed this piece.

I was going to paint it... Still might. Not 100% sure, I have to decide on what to put on the final canvas. Just one 12x16 painting and some lettering left.

Don't procrastinate kids.

Fake edit: anyone tried the liquitex blending medium? While researching how to potentially fix or even actually paint a gradient I came across a video about it. It looks like it could work for my purposes of increasing the open time of acrylics slightly.

Use Floetrol. It is cheap, comes in a large quantity and relatively easy to find (home depot).

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Feb 25, 2016

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

sigma 6 posted:

Use Floetrol. It is cheap, comes in a large quantity and relatively easy to find (home depot).

Just looked it up. While it seems interesting, it's formulated more for house paint than a heavy body acrylic. I've been having good results on a smaller piece with retarder, gloss medium, and flow release.

Progress shot, got the hard bits finished. Just a few more hours and this one will be complete.

Once again, this piece is super vibrant and my stupid phone can't capture it, that blue color in the wings is basically the same color as my cheeseburger painting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Finished my butterfly pig. All the paintings for my show on Friday are complete. :feelsgood:

It took me a while, but I feel pretty comfortable with acrylics now.