Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skNeUjtjD6Y

Southbound is a new anthology horror film coming out in theatres February 5th before getting a VOD release on February 9th. For those of you dreading yet another anthology film, it's worth noting that Southbound is from the same people responsible for V/H/S, which kicked off the recent revival in short form horror compilations. The big difference here is that Southbound has no found footage in it, and every story flows into each other seamlessly as they take place in the same location in the California desert. There are five short films directed by four different people/groups, with three returning from V/H/S. The shorts are:

The Way Out directed by Radio Silence (10/31/98 from V/H/S)

Two men drive around the desert escaping a dark, unknown force chasing them.

Siren directed by Roxanne Benjamin (a producer of the V/H/S films making her directorial debut)

A touring band's van breaks down in the middle of the desert highway, but when kind strangers happen to drive by offering help, one of the band members suspects something weird might be going on.

The Accident directed by David Bruckner (Amateur Night from V/H/S)

A man driving along the highway gets into a terrible accident, and must rely on a 911 operator to help.

Jailbreak directed by Patrick Horvath (indie horror Entrance and The Pact 2)

A man comes to a small desert town looking for his sister, who's been missing for over a decade.

The Way In directed by Radio Silence

A family's summer vacation gets cut short when they're targeted by a group of sadistic masked men.

I have to say, this was probably a better film than V/H/S overall, although V/H/S had a stronger difference between their hits and misses. There's more consistency here, with almost every short ranging from decent to pretty good. The only exception would be The Accident (and, to a lesser extent, Siren). The Accident is perfectly twisted and goes against expectations (the less said about it the better), and Siren feels like a condensed version of a gruesome Twilight Zone episode. The other three shorts don't stand up to the quality of those two, but they're still enjoyable on their own.

Is anyone going to check this one out? For those who liked the mythology aspect of V/H/S, Southbound has plenty of that in it. Don't be surprised if this becomes another franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

No shakycam found footage? Count me in. I love horror anthologies, and I love the trend of intertwined stories like in Trick 'r Treat and A Christmas Horror Story. Thanks for the tip!

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Found footage and uneven quality aside the short film form of the VHS series has kind of swayed me to the idea of it being a better choice for the average horror tale. No middling interminable forty five minute lead in to the meat of the story. Do voracious horror movie consumption once a week with friends so this will undoubtedly get watched.

Neumonic
Sep 25, 2003

This is my serious face.
I am so beyond stoked for this but I can't find a list of showtimes anywhere. I know it's supposed to get a limited release this Friday, anyone know where it will be playing? I'm in Austin.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I love everything about the concept and other anthology type movies but man the people made VHS is real turn off. That poo poo was just awful.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

zVxTeflon posted:

I love everything about the concept and other anthology type movies but man the people made VHS is real turn off. That poo poo was just awful.

Begone.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

sorry but VHS 1 and 2 had a combined 2 good segments. And thats being hella generous

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The first one was fun. The rest... yeah.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

This looks really dope. I'm gonna be in the New York literally a block away from the one theater showing it on friday and I'm really tempted to go. I liked pretty much all the V/H/S movies (Although the 3rd one feels really week compared to the first two) so this is right up my alley.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

zVxTeflon posted:

Give it a chance. If you absolutely hated VHS but like other anthologies this is probably exactly the movie for you. What really carries this one is its cohesiveness between the wraparound story and the individual segments. It just seems a lot tighter than most of the anthologies I've watched lately.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
There are seriously people who liked the first V/H/S better than V/H/S/2? :psyduck:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

If it wasn't for Tuesday the 17th, the first VHS would have been really bad. VHS 2 was eons better than the first one, I actually kind of liked that one; the zombie story, E.T. abduction, and insane cult were all far more interesting than the hotel or godawful "alien" one. That being said, a better anthology film without the fatiguing found footage angle sounds interesting, I'd give this one a watch.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I already said it in the horror thread, but I'll repeat here: This thing is amazing! Not a single boring moment in there...

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I enjoyed the V/H/S movies, even though the segments weren't all perfect, but 2 is my favorite if only for "Safe Haven".

Looking forward to checking this out

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

LORD OF BUTT posted:

There are seriously people who liked the first V/H/S better than V/H/S/2? :psyduck:

I did, I think if you switched the last films in both movies the first one would be pretty sterling.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

LORD OF BUTT posted:

V/H/S is an almost perfect movie that accidentally ends up having a really strong thematic through line. V/H/S 2 has two good segments.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Wow, this was great, very John Carpenter-y. There aren't any real weak segments, though I did think Siren was a little long and none of them felt super punchy. It's a very small film, which I super appreciate, and I love the use of anamorphic lenses, which make the wide format feel really appropriate, especially with the broad desert vistas.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!
There was some great creepy moments, some good laughs, and amazing atmosphere. I didn't care much for the wraparound story as a whole. I'd rate this above VHS 3, below the better parts of 1 and 2.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Loved it. Not as great as VHS 1/2 but not far behind. Great soundtrack too. I think The Accident was my favorite segment, really creepy and a really fresh idea too. Also super creepy.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I quite enjoyed most of this movie and as opposed to VHS, where I had to just accept that some of the shorts were going to be poo poo and I had to find the one or two good ones in the bunch, none of the stories in this were really lacking. My only real problem is that the want to have the stories just flow into each other made it seem sometimes that there wasn't a real ending to the story. Like 'The Accident' was the strongest story to me but the ending didn't have anything to it; I feel like I missed something but what was he supposed to get from what happened? Or was he supposed to have lost some portion of his humanity since he seemed pretty nonplussed by it when he was leaving? Also the CG was super lovely, but that's fine since it didn't really permeate the movie.

If anything it was still leaps and bounds better than VHS Viral or Tales of Halloween.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Just finished it and gotta say it was pretty loving good. "The Accident" really creeped me out on a visceral level (the abandoned hospital). Anyways, the whole thing had this really great cosmic horrorish vibe with some great existential absurdity thrown in there too. I can't believe no one has brought up the score yet, cuz it owns.

Also, I don't understand people that don't like V/H/S. Like, just stay away from me.

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP_VgLyd9H8

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I saw this but I can't decide if I liked it or not. Are there any other horror movies with a rotating array of protagonists? I liked that idea, I felt it enhanced the movie despite the admittedly clichéd individual stories

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Check out VHS 1 and 2 first. They are found footage horror movies made by some of the same people that made Southbound (and tons of other great directors).

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Popelmon posted:

Check out VHS 1 and 2 first. They are found footage horror movies made by some of the same people that made Southbound (and tons of other great directors).

radio silence and bruckner only worked on VHS 1

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I like certain things more about VHS1 than 2. VHS2 has a lot more comedy-horror and its segments are more disjointed, and it tries to explain the arc of the franchise. The first is more sleazy and voyeuristic, and works a lot more thematically, like somebody's gross home video you'd find in an abandoned house's basement. Viral is overall the weakest of the trilogy but it has some great segments in it.

Been wanting to check out Southbound since I heard about it though. Apparently there's an Unrated version?

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
I really liked The Accident, but the rest of the segments didn't work for me very well, especially the wrap around story. The rest felt uneven. It was still a step up from VHS 3, which was unwatchable. Not bad, but a mixed bag.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
VHS1 is a mean film, which I really appreciate (along with the violent, if unintentional, takedown of male gaze), and also the most found-footage-y. If anything, Southbound was too soft and likable.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I saw this but I can't decide if I liked it or not. Are there any other horror movies with a rotating array of protagonists? I liked that idea, I felt it enhanced the movie despite the admittedly clichéd individual stories

Also check out Creepshow, which wasn't the first anthology horror movie but is definitely (or at least arguably) the best.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

VHS1 is a mean film, which I really appreciate (along with the violent, if unintentional, takedown of male gaze), and also the most found-footage-y. If anything, Southbound was too soft and likable.

What makes you think it was unintentional?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
edit for clarity:

From what I understand the people behind the different shorts had no idea what the others were making. There was no guide, no one-word starting topic, no communication, they just all happened to go for similar themes.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 18, 2016

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Maybe I was missing something but a lot of the shorts felt half-baked in comparison to some of the V/H/S shorts, which felt very self contained and complete. Still enjoyed it though. I think The Accident was by far my favorite.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

The Accident and the short before it were the best parts of Southbound. Everything following The Accident just fell flat for me. Really disappointing, since this movie got off to such a good start. I'd say that this movie has a better theme and wraparound plot than VHS 3, and is basically a better film overall, but it's just not as memorable and fun. It's been about three days since I watched this, and I'll be damned if I can remember anything after the scene with the strange people in the bar. I'd watch VHS 3 before watching this again.

I wish we could get another one of these anthologies that's as good or better than VHS 1. That one is easily the best, with 2 a close second. It just feels like each one of these is less awesome than the one before.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The Accident's really good with some fine visuals, but Jailbreak was just awful. A mish-mash of ideas that just didn't seem to go anywhere with some of the clunkiest lines delivered.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
How gory is this film? I love horror and can handle some gore, but I just want a barometer of how the film is in regards to violence, gore, etc.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

OldTennisCourt posted:

How gory is this film? I love horror and can handle some gore, but I just want a barometer of how the film is in regards to violence, gore, etc.

I'm no stranger to gore, but The Accident came close to making me look away.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Just watched it and didn't understand it at all. What were the dudes doing in the Way In? Was I supposed to catch some central theme or plot with stuff like the 911 operator being one of the devil people on a payphone?

Seriously I did not understand the unifying theme of this movie at all.
But I did enjoy it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Saw it, was meh. More of the same boring mini horror movies.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Just watched it and didn't understand it at all. What were the dudes doing in the Way In? Was I supposed to catch some central theme or plot with stuff like the 911 operator being one of the devil people on a payphone?

Seriously I did not understand the unifying theme of this movie at all.
But I did enjoy it.

I suspect The Way In was some combination of a revenge-killing/ a pre-emptive strike to keep the one guy's daughter safe. Lo and behold, his hell is to never touch her again, constantly chasing her.

Unifying theme: "The past is a piece of poo poo sometimes."

Lucas in The Accident was the only one without a bad past so he's the only one to get away clean..

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Just saw this. It was entertaining, but I didn't love it. As with the VHS films some parts were more than others, but I don't think a lot of it was fleshed out as much as it could've. The Accident was the best of the segments and its gore/makeup effects were great, but a lot of the rest didn't go far enough. I liked the creature effects on the reaper things too, though the more we saw of them the less intimidating they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

The Accident left me feeling legitimately disturbed and unsettled and there is not very many things that have done that and I enjoyed the rest of the film well enough, I watched it a month ago now I think and the main thing in my mind still is absolutely The Accident and I find myself thinking about it sometimes and then feeling creeped out all over again. Really creepy stuff.

• Locked thread