Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Anyone else just get emails about cards in Android Pay being removed? Nothing looks changed when I open the app, but I got emails from both BofA and Amex about my cards being removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

hooah posted:

Warning: might interact strangely with Lollipop+'s built-in priority mode or Motorola's enhancement of it.

I don't know anything about Motorola's priority mode, but it definitely doesn't play well with Samsung devices on Lollipop. There are bizarre workarounds in place that make interacting with notifications frustrating (like deleting a gmail message from the notification shade). I actually ended up ditching it entirely for the time being, hoping that when Marshmallow is released LightFlow will work normally again.

Note: This is not applicable if you are rooted. LightFlow works great rooted.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

FunOne posted:

Anyone else just get emails about cards in Android Pay being removed? Nothing looks changed when I open the app, but I got emails from both BofA and Amex about my cards being removed.

I got a new debit card from my CU recently. When I tried to update it in Pay it said my bank doesn't support it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I need an app to record/execute macros. For example, I would put a widget in the home screen, and when I push that it would do "open app 1, push this spot on the screen, wait a bit, push home, open app 2, push this spot, push home, done".

Is there an app that can do this sort of things?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
^^^ Tasker, probably.

hooah posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for apps that will read texts while you're driving, but that doesn't get thrown off by a few texts in quick succession? Moto's Voice Assist is pretty good if you don't get any message while it's dealing with the first, but my wife tends to send batches of a few texts in a minute, and it really confuses Voice Assist.

This might have gotten skipped. Or maybe no one has any good suggestions. But if there are any suggestions, I'd like to hear 'em, please.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

hooah posted:

^^^ Tasker, probably.

Tried this, but the actions I want to do aren't among the ones Tasker can do and inputting stuff using the touchscreen requires the phone to be rooted and mine isn't. Oh well, it was a good try nonetheless.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Mikl posted:

Tried this, but the actions I want to do aren't among the ones Tasker can do and inputting stuff using the touchscreen requires the phone to be rooted and mine isn't. Oh well, it was a good try nonetheless.

Allowing one app to call up another and touch arbitrary points on the screen would be a huge security risk, you're not going to find that capability without rooting.

Edit: There's at least a couple out there, but they do require root.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 11, 2016

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

FunOne posted:

I got one but it said it was removed from my Motorola phone, which was my previous phone. So maybe they just cleared them out of phones that haven't been used in a while?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Red Warrior posted:

I got one but it said it was removed from my Motorola phone, which was my previous phone. So maybe they just cleared them out of phones that haven't been used in a while?

Luckily it uses my phone number as the reference so, no help there.

Calcium
Nov 19, 2006

Mikl posted:

The autoinput plugin for tasker can do touchscreen input without requiring root.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joaomgcd.autoinput&hl=en

http://joaoapps.com/autoinput/

Autoinput Play Store Page posted:

AutoInput doesn't require your device to be rooted! :) It does require Android 4.3 or above though.

You can use AutoInput to click on-screen buttons, or to write some text in text fields of any app. You can even retrieve text from other apps. This enables a WORLD of new automation possibilities in other apps!

Imagine:
→ changing any app's settings at will from Tasker!
→ replying to hangouts without needing to touch your phone!
→ toggling GPS on your phone without needing to be rooted!

With this, AutoInput will allow you to make your existing apps better by making them work just the way you like it.

And if your device is rooted you can try out the "AutoInput Root" feature that allows you to simulate ANY input on your screen. You first record your input by actually touching and swiping your screen and then replay that input with AutoInput, which will faithfully reproduce everything you did.

AutoInput has known limitations: you can't simulate clicks inside web views, which means you can't click links on web pages in most browsers and other Web based apps.

From now on, when you ask yourself "can I automate this app with Tasker?", the answer is "you probably can with AutoInput"! :)

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

SpookyLizard posted:

I really recommend metal for your Facebook app sucks needs.

Trying it now. Feels lighting quick and loving the dark theme.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Swiftkey is giving out a free Valentine's pack.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
If anyone else uses Play Music (You should) you can buy up to 6 months of service for half off right now, just go into the app, click send gift in the menu and send a gift to yourself, it will let you apply it to your existing account. Not sure if you can stack more than one though, I'm thinking about going ahead and paying for a year, $5 a month for Play Music and YouTube Red is a hell of a deal.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Maybe someone here knows this:

There's a Google developer who posts on G+ about the new stuff that keeps coming to the Google+ web edition, but I forget who it is. Anyone know who I'm talking about?

edit: Nevermind. It's Luke Wroblewski and [ulr=https://plus.google.com/collection/AceM_]this[/url] is where he posts about Google+ updates.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 12, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Three Olives posted:

If anyone else uses Play Music (You should) you can buy up to 6 months of service for half off right now, just go into the app, click send gift in the menu and send a gift to yourself, it will let you apply it to your existing account. Not sure if you can stack more than one though, I'm thinking about going ahead and paying for a year, $5 a month for Play Music and YouTube Red is a hell of a deal.

Does this stack? Or can I save the "gift" for a while? I have 1.5 months left on my current sub.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Android Police says you can stack it up to five years of subscription. But no Family Plan discounts.

Thermopyle posted:

There's a Google developer who posts on G+ about the new stuff that keeps coming to the Google+ web edition, but I forget who it is. Anyone know who I'm talking about?
This guy?
https://plus.google.com/+LukeWroblewski

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Uthor posted:

Does this stack? Or can I save the "gift" for a while? I have 1.5 months left on my current sub.

Not sure, it let me apply it to my account which is is current.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Tunga posted:

Android Police says you can stack it up to five years of subscription. But no Family Plan discounts.

This guy?
https://plus.google.com/+LukeWroblewski

Yeah, that's him. I edited him into my post just as you were posting this.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Tunga posted:

Snap, I didn't think about stacking multiple discounts. I'm good for the next 13.5 months, now. woot!

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Uthor posted:

Snap, I didn't think about stacking multiple discounts. I'm good for the next 13.5 months, now. woot!

Well I'm hoping this doesn't revert my legacy pricing!

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Drunk Tomato posted:

Well I'm hoping this doesn't revert my legacy pricing!

This is what my Google wallet says right now:

Who knows what happens between now and then, but it looks like it's fine for now.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I'm looking for an image editor that isn't photo-specific--edit, never mind, don't need it anymore.

Three Olives posted:

This is amazing thanks!! For the Canadian version, 6 months was $49.99 so was actually only working out to $8.30/month ( a savings of $1.70/month only), but 1 month is $4.99 so I just kept sending myself 1 month at a time. 50% off for the next year? gently caress yeah.

Now I can't decide how far to take this, can I afford 2 years right now? 3? I don't know! Realistically the price will probably just keep going up as time goes on, especially with our lovely dollar. :canada:

Someone should post this in the Android phone thread.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 13, 2016

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Finally something to spend my survey bucks on

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

I thought you couldn't spend survey dollars on subscription services?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

LastInLine posted:

I thought you couldn't spend survey dollars on subscription services?

Its not a subscription though, its a gift

Try it

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Its not a subscription though, its a gift

Try it

I believe you and have no interest, just found it interesting there's a loophole there. Pretty cool for those of us sitting on $50 with nothing to spend it on.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Skarsnik posted:

Speaking of Google Opinion Rewards, Here's what the results look like from the survey-creator side.

https://www.google.com/insights/consumersurveys/view?survey=kepno6sddsr7c&question=1&filter=&rw=1

For a single-question quiz, with no screening questions, pricing's as low as $0.10 per completed response purchased. I doubt that the survey-completer gets any Google Play credit at that level, though.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't fill out the surveys; I'm certainly not going to stop doing them. I don't think you can spend survey credit on buying surveys, though.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
What? No, of course we do, I've taken bucketloads of single-question surveys for 10c exactly. That makes it look like the surveyee actually gets 100% of the credit that the surveyor pays for.

It's not shocking. Surveyors are buying their patrons giftcards to the Google company store, essentially, and from that, Google already has their cut. It's also serving the same role as a coupon, by increasing customer interest in browsing the store in the first place and maybe even putting their own money into it. Plus, they get the plaintext and meta-data from all these surveys that somebody else is paying the incentive on. It's plenty reason to facilitate.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Did Tapatalk update? I've lost all my saved forums, except one, and there is no longer a forum view? It just shows me a feed of new posts.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I don't know if this is the correct thread to ask but I have been trying to change my Google Storage payment options to my Google Play balance in my Payment Methods page and it always reverts back to one of my credit cards. I asked Google support and they said they currently do not support paying Google Storage with your Play balance, is this true?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Correct. Can't pay for services like Storage/Music/etc with Play Balance. Or Devices for that matter.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

DemonMage posted:

Correct. Can't pay for services like Storage/Music/etc with Play Balance. Or Devices for that matter.

I have been able to pay for my Google Music subscription with my Play balance without an issue - or do you mean actual music such as buying albums and what not?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
I forgot that gift cards were a thing, I was thinking the only way to get balance was survey or similar, which as people were saying above doesn't work for subscriptions. So no idea then, sorry!

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Busy Bee posted:

I have been able to pay for my Google Music subscription with my Play balance without an issue - or do you mean actual music such as buying albums and what not?

Google Play Music is part of the Play Store, devices/drive/etc are not.

DragonWC99
Nov 4, 2004
I have set conditions on Rotate When. It doesn't seem to work for me! I am on Nexus 6P - Marshmallow. Is anybody else experiencing this? What am I doing wrong?

I don't really want to switch automation programs!

http://i.imgur.com/zqtfDHh.png

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I need an app to give me notification on new items in an RSS feed. It doesn't need to display content, but it'd be nice to get a clickable url or something.

What would be the absolute bestest is if they've got a server that sends a notification on new feed items so that my device isn't constantly polling an RSS feed.

Searching shows me a bunch of stuff, but it's effort to comb through it all...

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Thermopyle posted:

I need an app to give me notification on new items in an RSS feed. It doesn't need to display content, but it'd be nice to get a clickable url or something.

What would be the absolute bestest is if they've got a server that sends a notification on new feed items so that my device isn't constantly polling an RSS feed.

I use Blogtrottr for this. They just send you an email every time an RSS feed updates, and I have gmail set to put it in my priority inbox so it sends me a notification (Inbox sends me one too). I use it for some podcasts that I like to listen to the second they update. It sometimes will take a couple of hours to send you the email but it's a lot better than using an RSS app.

They have dumb ads in every email but they're easy to ignore and just click the url.

I can understand if you want to avoid using email but it's the only sane thing I got to work when I was looking for a solution to a similar use case.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I'd imagine it would depend on what you're using to view RSS feeds, but wouldn't any reader do that? I see that gReader Pro does which is what I use but I'd imagine they all can.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

I'd imagine it would depend on what you're using to view RSS feeds, but wouldn't any reader do that? I see that gReader Pro does which is what I use but I'd imagine they all can.

Well yes, but I'm particularly interested in using Google Cloud Messaging or something to avoid having the RSS app polling the RSS feed.

BottleKnight posted:

I use Blogtrottr for this. They just send you an email every time an RSS feed updates, and I have gmail set to put it in my priority inbox so it sends me a notification (Inbox sends me one too). I use it for some podcasts that I like to listen to the second they update. It sometimes will take a couple of hours to send you the email but it's a lot better than using an RSS app.

They have dumb ads in every email but they're easy to ignore and just click the url.

I can understand if you want to avoid using email but it's the only sane thing I got to work when I was looking for a solution to a similar use case.

This will probably work fine, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

Why not IFTTT? I made a recipe for new LP alerts. IFTTT does all the polling, and sends an alert to my phone when there's a new entry. It shows whatever the RSS feed shows, and you can tap on it to open it in your browser.

The trigger options are:

New feed item: This Trigger fires every time a new item is added to the feed you specify.
New feed item matches: This Trigger fires every time a new item in the feed you specify contains a particular keyword or simple phrase.