Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Kheldarn posted:

Why not IFTTT? I made a recipe for new LP alerts. IFTTT does all the polling, and sends an alert to my phone when there's a new entry. It shows whatever the RSS feed shows, and you can tap on it to open it in your browser.

The trigger options are:

New feed item: This Trigger fires every time a new item is added to the feed you specify.
New feed item matches: This Trigger fires every time a new item in the feed you specify contains a particular keyword or simple phrase.

Oh, actually I should do this because I already use IFTTT. I didn't even think about this for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I feel like I saw this mentioned recently, but is anyone else getting weird behavior with Gmail syncing? It'll suddenly drop nine emails on me at once, all with different receipt times.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

XIII posted:

I feel like I saw this mentioned recently, but is anyone else getting weird behavior with Gmail syncing? It'll suddenly drop nine emails on me at once, all with different receipt times.

Yes, google is rolling out a fix server side soon.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yes, google is rolling out a fix server side soon.

Thanks. Not like I get anything super time sensitive, just worried I'd botched something

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Looking for a good tethering app (my Android tablet isn't 3g/4g capable) and something that lets me see texts and such on my tablet. AirDroid used to be the best choice for that, is this still the case?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

vulturesrow posted:

Looking for a good tethering app (my Android tablet isn't 3g/4g capable) and something that lets me see texts and such on my tablet. AirDroid used to be the best choice for that, is this still the case?

I use MightyText to send and receive texts on my tablet. Works pretty good. Can't help you with the tethering question.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
If you can deal with the free version of Pushbullet, it will also let you text from your tablet.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Is there an app that will lock the screen to the current app that's loaded? Here's my use case:

I give my kid my phone to look at pictures. She loves looking at pictures, but isn't so good with swiping. She'll hit the home button, recents button, etc. I'd like something that would lock her into that app, locking her out of notifications and all the on-screen buttons.

Does such a thing exist?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

BoyBlunder posted:

Is there an app that will lock the screen to the current app that's loaded? Here's my use case:

I give my kid my phone to look at pictures. She loves looking at pictures, but isn't so good with swiping. She'll hit the home button, recents button, etc. I'd like something that would lock her into that app, locking her out of notifications and all the on-screen buttons.

Does such a thing exist?

I don't have any experience with this on android, but I think what you want is a Kiosk app. Here's one called SureLock Kiosk Lockdown.

Hopefully someone else will have experience with this, but simply knowing that the word kiosk is important here might help your search.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

Does such a thing exist?

Android has a native solution to this called screen pinning.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

nocal posted:

Android has a native solution to this called screen pinning.

To elaborate, you turn it on in Settings > Security and you enable it by going into the task switcher and hitting the pin.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Just looked into this. That's pretty badass. My 2 year old likes to netflix, but is always hitting buttons and then getting pissed off when the movie/show stops.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm looking for a good 'remind me to do a thing once an hour' app. It would need to be restricted to certain times of day and days of the week, I'd want to be able to dismiss individual instances without affecting future reminders, and I'm hoping for a more elegant solution than just setting twenty different alarms. Not averse to paying a couple bucks (well, surveybucks) for something good.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

docbeard posted:

I'm looking for a good 'remind me to do a thing once an hour' app. It would need to be restricted to certain times of day and days of the week, I'd want to be able to dismiss individual instances without affecting future reminders, and I'm hoping for a more elegant solution than just setting twenty different alarms. Not averse to paying a couple bucks (well, surveybucks) for something good.

I use google keep for my simple reminders. Not sure if it would work for your needs.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.keep

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Any recommendations for a business contacts app that lets you track people and remind yourself when you met them/what you discussed/if you've ever mailed them anything/other points of contact? Not necessarily just name/address/phone number but an app that deals with correspondence history with that person. Ideally one that syncs with a windows or web-based service so I can adjust from my phone or my desktop or some other computer.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
My friend has an iPhone and uses Maps3D. With it he can have not only an offline map but more importantly can tap a place and see the elevation. As a cyclist Id love to find something similar for Android to get an idea of the profile of the road ahead.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I have about $6.50 in Play Store credit and I don't know what to do with it. I've got a good calendar app (Business Calendar), weather app (Weather), keyboard app (Swiftkey) and I already have Tasker... which I barely use.

Any recommendations for a guy who has it all?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Sneeze Party posted:

I have about $6.50 in Play Store credit and I don't know what to do with it. I've got a good calendar app (Business Calendar), weather app (Weather), keyboard app (Swiftkey) and I already have Tasker... which I barely use.

Do you have work email on your phone? Nine?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Sneeze Party posted:

Poweramp? Nova launcher prime?

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Do you have work email on your phone? Nine?
Naw, my job doesn't come home with me.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

vyst posted:

Poweramp? Nova launcher prime?
I really only use Spotify. I'll take a look at Nova Launcher. I haven't felt the need for a custom launcher, but I'll check it out.

After playing with Nova Launcher for a few minutes, I didn't even know what I was missing. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 18, 2016

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
I think this thread recommended Press as an alternative for RSS. Has it got a decent widget too? I'm looking for something similar to feedlys widgets.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Sneeze Party posted:

I have about $6.50 in Play Store credit and I don't know what to do with it.

That $6.50 is burning a hole in your pocket? I got $60 something in credit and my wife somewhere around $100. Best money I spent was a year subscription to last pass but that was $12.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Sneeze Party posted:

I really only use Spotify. I'll take a look at Nova Launcher. I haven't felt the need for a custom launcher, but I'll check it out.

After playing with Nova Launcher for a few minutes, I didn't even know what I was missing. Thanks for the suggestion.

Nova Launcher owns. Good choice.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Anyone know of a video editing app that has basic editing tools like brightness, contrast, etc. So far I've tried VivaVideo and FilmoraGo, but they only seem to offer filters and FX, rather than individual editing tools.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I recently made a shared collection through Google Photos of shots from a trip that included some photo spheres. It seems like the people I've shared the collection with can't view the spheres, it keeps saying that's the sphere failed to load. Anyone else run into this?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I currently have a Google Music subscription here in the US but what happens if I travel abroad to Europe? Will I still be able to listen to the music I added to my playlists / library?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
What's a good time management app? Between programming, some Cisco stuff, working full time and etc I need to be a bit more task oriented so I'm maximizing my time. Ideally I want something where I can put in a few tasks, select one to start a timer and then have it beep when its done so I can move onto something else.

Googling this turns up a bunch of $5.99 a month type crap for sales people.

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!

The Gunslinger posted:

What's a good time management app? Between programming, some Cisco stuff, working full time and etc I need to be a bit more task oriented so I'm maximizing my time. Ideally I want something where I can put in a few tasks, select one to start a timer and then have it beep when its done so I can move onto something else.

Googling this turns up a bunch of $5.99 a month type crap for sales people.

Try Todist or Toggl.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Busy Bee posted:

I currently have a Google Music subscription here in the US but what happens if I travel abroad to Europe? Will I still be able to listen to the music I added to my playlists / library?

I believe you'll only have access to the music that country has access to. It's geoblocked like Netflix AFAIK

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Geektox posted:

I believe you'll only have access to the music that country has access to. It's geoblocked like Netflix AFAIK

It's not, as long as your payment information is from the US you can use it wherever. I've been using it in Korea for years.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

What's the simplest way for me to switch to a vibrate only profile between 9am and 5pm weekdays? I used to use Silent Hours but I've just upgraded to Marshmallow and want to know if there's a more elegant way. It looks like the inbuilt profile switcher only has triggers for WiFi / Bluetooth / NFC connections which seems like a bit of an oversight.

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

Party Boat posted:

What's the simplest way for me to switch to a vibrate only profile between 9am and 5pm weekdays? I used to use Silent Hours but I've just upgraded to Marshmallow and want to know if there's a more elegant way. It looks like the inbuilt profile switcher only has triggers for WiFi / Bluetooth / NFC connections which seems like a bit of an oversight.

If you tap the Do Not Disturb button in the notification shade and go to More Settings, you can add rules for when silent (or vibrate) mode is activated.

Edit: It's under the Automatic Rules section.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
What's the best password manager that supports both android (chrome) and windows (firefox) and is free or if paid, really worth the :10bux:? There's so many and I want some goon input.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
KeePass + Dropbox/Google Drive + 3rd party Android app if you want free or to keep greater control of your password database.
http://keepass.info/index.html

LastPass + $12/year if you want a simpler interface and convenience.
https://lastpass.com/

1Password + $50 desktop app for (supposedly) the best interface.
https://agilebits.com/onepassword

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Alarm Clock Plus has been consistently not setting off my alarm unless I actively toggle it off and on the night before, despite the alarm being set to go off every weekday at the same time. It's also pretty ancient and probably hasn't been updated in a couple years. What's the new hotness in alarm clock apps?

I like the math solving feature of ACP, but it's not a deal breaker for updating to a newer app. However, the ability to set labels on alarms and use music instead of preset alarms is a deal breaker.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

c0burn posted:

What's the best password manager that supports both android (chrome) and windows (firefox) and is free or if paid, really worth the :10bux:? There's so many and I want some goon input.

I use safeincloud. Free desktop app and a couple bucks for the mobile. I don't use any plugins though.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

c0burn posted:

Lastpass is really good.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

feedmyleg posted:

Alarm Clock

Sleep as Android has never given me any issues, has a dumb amount of options for sleep tracking, gentle wake ups and math / other problems (including scanning an NFC / QR code to turn it off) to help you get up.

Also yeah Lastpass is solid and only a $1 a month for premium features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

TwistedNails posted:

Lastpass is really good.