Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Captain Log posted:

Question for everyone here - what's the worst pain you ever felt in any serious sparring or rolling? Or straight up competing?

Blew out a hip flexor trying to jump a triangle. Felt like I'd been shot it hurt so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

fatherdog posted:

I tore the costal cartilage connecting a couple of ribs to my sternum. Couldn't get up to drive myself home for a good fifteen minutes. They still don't quite attach correctly and I can feel them sliding around if I curl forward too far.

I had a floating rib move up over my other ribs and then pop back. Tbh it was so shockingly painful I can't remember the feeling anymore. After it tore, I just laid on the mat and calmly explained I needed to just stay here for a minute and try not to blackout from pain.

Liver shot was maybe worse in retrospect because I felt every second of it and remember the feeling. I couldn't keep my feet under me, I think that's what it feels like to die a bad death. Plus the embarrassment of the guy who hit me with it running over and clinching up to keep me on my feet, "so it would be less embarrassing". Thanks bro. Thanks...

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Xguard86 posted:

Liver shot was maybe worse in retrospect because I felt every second of it and remember the feeling. I couldn't keep my feet under me, I think that's what it feels like to die a bad death. Plus the embarrassment of the guy who hit me with it running over and clinching up to keep me on my feet, "so it would be less embarrassing". Thanks bro. Thanks...

lol

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Snapped my pinky toe a few years ago in BJJ now can something so small hurt so bad?

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I got mat burn on my foot once

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Captain Log posted:

Question for everyone here - what's the worst pain you ever felt in any serious sparring or rolling? Or straight up competing?

I can think of a bunch of things that sucked but I'm not sure which takes the cake. Probably when I got stopped with a liver kick.

Honestly the exhaustion from being in crap shape stands out as more painful.

I slipped into a hard cross once that sat my rear end down and had me out for a minute or two

Threw a Thai kick that I whiffed and when I stepped my foot back I had to back peddle and instead rolled my ankle to the level of sprain where I almost straight up broke it.

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.
Torn ACL & meniscus from BJJ but the real pain wasn't 'til post-surgery to be honest.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Captain Log posted:

I can think of a bunch of things that sucked but I'm not sure which takes the cake. Probably when I got stopped with a liver kick.

Honestly the exhaustion from being in crap shape stands out as more painful.

One time I threw out my back doing a spider guard pass and was on the ground for 15 minutes before I (painfully) worked myself up. Also it was a new guy I was going against and he felt really bad thinking it was his fault.

Another time I shot a double on a guy who used to play offensive line for the Florida gators. He sprawed and I watched (and heard) my ankle bend the wrong way under me. It popped so loud the school owner walked out of the office to see what happened.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
All these stories are so good

widunder
May 2, 2002
I was doing handstand pushups during a warmup and got a really bad hernia in my lower back and couldn't walk straight for a year and couldn't basically sit or lay down without codeine painkillers during the weeks before my surgery. That was really, really bad and hosed up my life for a pretty long while.

Tore my meniscus while hip throwing a guy. That sucked really bad and still bothers me quite a bit even after surgery.

Was double legged by a wrestler and thrown on my shoulder, tearing my rotator cuff. That hurt pretty bad.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
In my first grappling tournament I dislocated my elbow while being Americana'd by a very fat man, and didn't realize until I'd already driven halfway home and noticed how hard it was to shift gears in my car. Once it set in, I just started screaming and staring at my arm, and the dude in the truck next to me at the stoplight had the most confused look on his face.

I had to call my then girlfriend to come get me and I drove her convertible pt cruiser home while she drove the stickshift. And I didn't pack a change of clothes so if ad driving this pt cruiser in my gi in the middle of summer and it was her as gently caress.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Most painful to recover from was a separated shoulder from landing badly from a hip throw. In a match once I felt a mild sprain in my ribs and then like a doofus 30 seconds later went for gut wrench at like 1000% effort on a guy that was defending it really well. It it hurt so bad my vision blurred.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Wow you guys had some hosed up poo poo happen to you. I broke my pinky toe going for osoto gari and not throwing my leg out quite far enough past their leg and that sucked, but floating ribs moving up over other ribs? gently caress that.

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
i just started training bjj and all of these stories make me want to immediately stop.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Worst pain was probably extensive severe second degree burns over a good portion of my body.

But just sudden, "OH GOD" was probably the first, second, and third time I broke my ankle.

Still think the worst from an opponent was a liver kick. One time I got double legged by a fat guy off of a mat onto a hard floor and his knees landed on my balls with nothing but the floor between them. It was a knee/ball/floor sandwich.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I broke a rib once and it didn't really hurt much at all. It made an audible cracking sound, and I immediately stopped moving and called for the roll to IMMEDIATELY stop. After that it just ached but it wasn't like lightning bolts in the brain or anything.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
At least you guys have some decent stories. I just got dumb chronic poo poo nobody wants to hear about like turf toe and shoulder impingement.

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:
Seperated shoulder. Was grappling a 270ish pounder and i was 190 at the time all that weight plus gavity came down on the shoulder. That was October, still hurts sometimes to this day.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I broke my pinky finger in half -- like, 90 degrees in the wrong direction, the bone completely snapped -- and then set it myself thinking I was reducing a dislocation.

Did a perfect job too, according to the doctor. He just put it in a splint and sent me home and it healed fine.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
So guys I've been thinking about getting into BJJ and

:yikes:

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Lost For Words posted:

At least you guys have some decent stories. I just got dumb chronic poo poo nobody wants to hear about like turf toe and shoulder impingement.

Elbow and knee tendonitis here. Let's have a pity party together.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ditch posted:

So guys I've been thinking about getting into BJJ and

:yikes:

I vaguely remember there was a research study done a while ago over a few IBJJF events where the researches looked at injury stats divided them among catastrophic/sever/moderate and found they where really comparable to any full contact sporting event or something.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

idontcare posted:

i just started training bjj and all of these stories make me want to immediately stop.

Complete opposite. I need some injuries to be apart of these cool kids and their stories.

After a week off from hurting a few toes, knee and shoulder I'll be going back tomorrow for class and I already miss it so much.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I complain about getting hurt a lot but really once I cut one certain big guy out of my rolling routine and told two other big guys "go easy," my injuries and dings decreased substantially. It's also probable that I'm getting better at BJJ and tapping earlier and not ending up in those positions that cause me to get hurt. I'm going from bruised ribs + hosed shoulder every practice to sore bicep from getting armbarred 5x and whatever has been wrong with my toes.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Oh and then there was the time I got swept and landed with my elbow on the ground with my forearm pointing up towards the ceiling and palm facing up. Dude landed on my hand and bent it backwards. This was about 3 years ago and while it doesn't hurt doing normal things anymore (it did for a while) I still have to tap fast to wrist locks and things on it because it really loving hurts.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
And whats with guys who have you in a arm bar and you have your hands clasped to resist and they sit up and slide their forearm through to start cranking backwards to separate your hands but they have their forearm over your bicep instead of over your wrist or forearm so its like a bicep slicer? Like who the gently caress taught them to do that against their training partners.
That leads to some pain the next day (I run a warehouse so whenever I lift anything I can feel it. ugh)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nierbo posted:

And whats with guys who have you in a arm bar and you have your hands clasped to resist and they sit up and slide their forearm through to start cranking backwards to separate your hands but they have their forearm over your bicep instead of over your wrist or forearm so its like a bicep slicer? Like who the gently caress taught them to do that against their training partners.
That leads to some pain the next day (I run a warehouse so whenever I lift anything I can feel it. ugh)

I've known a few people who didn't realize that they were doing it til I pointed it out. It happens especially frequently when I am trying Ribeiro's deep elbow armbar defense.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

Isn't the flip side of this that you as the person defending should realize that you're in a bicep slicer situation as well and just release the grip? If it's a situation where you're totally free to let go then I don't see an issue with someone using uncomfortable pressure to "encourage" the release. At the end of the day one learns that that's a pretty flawed / limited way to defend arm bars and you need other plans. Curious to hear from more experienced grapplers on that though.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Nierbo posted:

What's with guys that don't tap when they know they're getting injured

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Well of course I let go when it gets super painful but you need to practice fighting out of it sometimes instead of just tapping instantly every time. Also the person doing the sub needs to get practice at finishing it on a resisting opponent.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

origami posted:

What's with guys that don't tap when they know they're getting injured

They can't hear you over the sound of their muscle tissue slowly tearing apart as they fully commit to using a small vulnerable joint to resist tremendous leverage

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

Well of course I let go when it gets super painful but you need to practice fighting out of it sometimes instead of just tapping instantly every time. Also the person doing the sub needs to get practice at finishing it on a resisting opponent.

Right I mean resisting the pressure for a moment while probing escape routes is a different story from just clamping down and hoping for the best, yeah. This is the moment to Homer Simpson, etc. yourself to safety. So that makes more sense though I still don't really get the gripes regarding what the attacker's doing.

E: Also it's not just about your pain tolerance in the moment but also recognizing the potential for injury apart from pain. Sometimes I get stuck in an ankle lock where I could hang on for a while if I had to, but I know I'd be walking with a limp the next day, so gently caress that.

Decades fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 15, 2016

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Nierbo posted:

Oh ok so you were practicing your escape and he was practicing his submission and....you got submitted. And the guy is a dick because...

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Decades posted:

Right I mean resisting the pressure for a moment while probing escape routes is a different story from just clamping down and hoping for the best, yeah. This is the moment to Homer Simpson, etc. yourself to safety. So that makes more sense though I still don't really get the gripes regarding what the attacker's doing.

Am I to understand that people other than myself call that escape the Homer Simpson? I named it that myself and thought it was super clever.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

CommonShore posted:

Am I to understand that people other than myself call that escape the Homer Simpson? I named it that myself and thought it was super clever.

In my school I'd say I hear about 50 percent hitchhiker, 25 Statue of Liberty, and 25 Homer Simpson. Once in a blue moon "3 stooges escape" as if it's the more formal and technically accurate version of "Homer Simpson". I still think you're clever though.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Ironically, arguing only bothers me in the fighting thread. :ohdear:

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here!..."

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Are you complaining that your training partner puts you in painful situations that cause you to tap

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

What's with guys grabbing my neck and causing me to pass out, who does that to their training partners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

It is me. I am the one Bicep Slicing people who are countering my legitimate arm bar through hand holding. :smugbert:

Real talk though, anyone know a better counter to people just holding the grip then a slicer?