Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

It seems like a lot of tech startups are doomed. Their entire business model is centered on attracting investors with almost no plans for making profits. It worked for Facebook, in that they found some ways to make profits, but advertising and big data can only go so far. On the other end of the spectrum you have the recent Soundcloud losses. I have no idea how they make money. Attracting investors, making something cool, hope you keep getting investors forever and no one asks you to actually make money.

Tech startups and Higher Ed seem like massive bubbles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
groupon is a predatory business and I'm glad it's failing

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

William Stoner posted:

Tech startups and Higher Ed seem like massive bubbles.

Higher education's going through an interesting (and pretty horrible) bubble here in Australia. A combination of rising unemployment and government subsidies have given rise to a veritable fuckload of very predatory 'colleges' that try to get you on the hook in ways much like how people try to upsell you on phone services; that is, by pretending to be something different and/or just making it really hard to say no.

The really poo poo ones go even further, by signing on people who would be literally incapable of doing the actual course, often promising things like laptops, and then shutting up shop and running the moment the government looks in their direction. But even the ostensibly legit ones are often pretty rancid, doing stuff like setting up fake job advertisements solely to pitch courses at the applicants, and more than once I've been approached by people from currently-opening technical colleges in shopping centres, at train stations, or by door-to-door salesmen.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Cleretic posted:

Higher education's going through an interesting (and pretty horrible) bubble here in Australia. A combination of rising unemployment and government subsidies have given rise to a veritable fuckload of very predatory 'colleges' that try to get you on the hook in ways much like how people try to upsell you on phone services; that is, by pretending to be something different and/or just making it really hard to say no.

The really poo poo ones go even further, by signing on people who would be literally incapable of doing the actual course, often promising things like laptops, and then shutting up shop and running the moment the government looks in their direction. But even the ostensibly legit ones are often pretty rancid, doing stuff like setting up fake job advertisements solely to pitch courses at the applicants, and more than once I've been approached by people from currently-opening technical colleges in shopping centres, at train stations, or by door-to-door salesmen.

holy gently caress. where do you live? I'm a post-graduate student in melbourne and have never seen or heard of any of this poo poo.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I don't get why every company ever seems to think the way to success is to cut manpower and services as much as possible, and then like Radio Shack and some other chains, decide to put everything they have into ridiculously low-profit, low volume items that nobody in their right mind will ever buy at a store instead of the manufacturer themselves. Like why would you go into a Best Buy and buy a Samsung phone when Verizon and Samsung themselves both sell it cheaper.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

holy gently caress. where do you live? I'm a post-graduate student in melbourne and have never seen or heard of any of this poo poo.

While I'm moving to Melbourne myself very soon, until now I've been living in Salisbury, in the northern suburbs of Adelaide. The area's got colossal unemployment rates, we're talking >30%, so it's unsurprising that the on-foot forces are targeting the region and that the fake job advertisers are perhaps focusing a bit more on entry-level jobs in Adelaide than elsewhere. The really heinous ones are generally online, and usually prey on people who wouldn't be able to understand the problems, go elsewhere, or honestly complete the course in the first place--we're talking largely people on disability.

It's unsurprising you wouldn't have heard about this as a Melbourne postgrad, they're targeting both very different people and places. It's been sort of a quiet disaster, because it's not like the victims are the type that can speak out very well, but there's been recent crackdowns that have brought it out into the open a bit.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah I don't get why every company ever seems to think the way to success is to cut manpower and services as much as possible, and then like Radio Shack and some other chains, decide to put everything they have into ridiculously low-profit, low volume items that nobody in their right mind will ever buy at a store instead of the manufacturer themselves. Like why would you go into a Best Buy and buy a Samsung phone when Verizon and Samsung themselves both sell it cheaper.

no, why would you go to them and get the product cheaper when you could have the personal touch of a salesman, IDIOT

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Larry Parrish posted:

the execs making these decisions know exactly what they're doing and make changes that short-term profits but gently caress up the company in the long term. the goal is to post the biggest numbers possible from slashing costs as much as possible and then bail before the ramifications from slashing said costs (brain drain, people stop buying your products because they're cheaper and shoddier than they were before) are felt

edit: this is also why the whole ":qq: IF WE RAISE WAGES WE WON'T HAVE ANY JOBS :qq:" shtick is bullshit because lmao if you think labor isn't cut to the absolute bone already

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Business Gorillas posted:

the execs making these decisions know exactly what they're doing and make changes that short-term profits but gently caress up the company in the long term. the goal is to post the biggest numbers possible from slashing costs as much as possible and then bail before the ramifications from slashing said costs (brain drain, people stop buying your products because they're cheaper and shoddier than they were before) are felt

Yeah but that's the point. If it's a tactic that's been super common and obviously beneficial only to senior executives and guaranteed to ruin the stockholder's return, why the gently caress do boards keep appointing these scumbags to run companies.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah but that's the point. If it's a tactic that's been super common and obviously beneficial only to senior executives and guaranteed to ruin the stockholder's return, why the gently caress do boards keep appointing these scumbags to run companies.

Scumbags watch after other Scumbags.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

canyoneer posted:

Groupon turning down a $6B buyout from google is the funniest thing, because Google realized "there is nothing Groupon is currently doing that we could not also do (and probably at least as well)"

I know a guy who worked at Circuit City during their downfall. Used to be that all the sales guys there made commission, and some of them made pretty good money (like $80-90k in the early 2000's, a lot of money for a retail job). All the hot seller guys were real product experts, and knew more about it than just reading the box.

Some genius decided that they should try to beat Best Buy at their own game, and switch to an hourly wage without commission. No worries, we'll convert everyone from their commission pay to a comparable hourly rate! But, hey, you top sales guys making $20/hr, we're just gonna lay you off because we want labor to cost more like $7/hr.
Remember when Blockbuster's execs laughed the Redbox people out of the room when they tried to sell them their business for like $3 million? Yeah.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Larry Parrish posted:

Look up the board of pretty much any company. Almost 100% of the members are current or former senior executives

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
i've really enjoyed wall street success stories like Blackberry and HP that gutted themselves to nothing in search of ONE NEAT TRICK that makes shareholders happy

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

How so? Serious question

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
Last night I got on my gf's Windows 10 PC and hit the Start button and said 'hey where's the search box?' and she said 'idk there isn't one you gotta just open File Explorer and search from there.'

That alone makes Windows 10 retarded as gently caress. And even if there is a search box somewhere and my gf just missed it, then it's stupid that they made it so obfuscated (which is their favorite pastime wrt the control panel settings so maybe that's intentional).

Business Gorillas posted:

edit: this is also why the whole ":qq: IF WE RAISE WAGES WE WON'T HAVE ANY JOBS :qq:" shtick is bullshit because lmao if you think labor isn't cut to the absolute bone already

ayup. idiot people think companies just have 'extra' labor costs they can cut. poo poo's already cut as much as possible; domino's doesn't have an extra employee on Thursday nights for shits and giggles.

Larry Parrish posted:

because the boards are usually made up of shareholders who like the short term profits, too. pump the company's figures until the share price is ballooned, sell, watch as it collapses, acquire shares, fire the CEO, repeat until it finally collapses.

FishionMailed has a new favorite as of 18:41 on Feb 15, 2016

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

FishionMailed posted:

Last night I got on my gf's Windows 10 PC and hit the Start button and said 'hey where's the search box?' and she said 'idk there isn't one you gotta just open File Explorer and search from there.'

That alone makes Windows 10 retarded as gently caress. And even if there is a search box somewhere and my gf just missed it, then it's stupid that they made it so obfuscated (which is their favorite pastime wrt the control panel settings so maybe that's intentional).

ayup. idiot people think companies just have 'extra' labor costs they can cut. poo poo's already cut as much as possible; domino's doesn't have an extra employee on Thursday nights for shits and giggles.

because the boards are usually made up of shareholders who like the short term profits, too. pump the company's figures until the share price is ballooned, sell, watch as it collapses, acquire shares, fire the CEO, repeat until it finally collapses.

My pc with W10 has a big annoying search box right next to the start button by default ? I actually wanted to remove it but too lazy to search how

Are you sure it wasn't Windows 8

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

FishionMailed posted:

I thikn you just hit the windows key and start typing. Perhaps a bit too slick but the search function itself is pretty good

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

I worked at Domino's and some restaurants so I can at least give you a service industry perspective on this. GroupOn negotiates the deals with the businesses and basically pressures businesses (usually chains like Domino's) to go in on GroupOn deals for the benefit of advertising and driving sales. Usually the coupon itself results in either very low profits or a loss. So like for example, they'd go to Domino's and say 'let's do a GroupOn where you offer large pizzas for $5' or whatever, and Domino's goes 'ah idk that sounds like we'd take a fairly large loss' and GroupOn goes 'no see you'll get great advertising out of it and drive sales and attract new customers.'

Well as it turns out, the GroupOn results in a huge loss, the advertising/sales gains are marginal or nonexistent, and it leaves a hella sour taste in the business' mouth. I know that the Domino's company I was at (they franchise, this company owned all the San Diego locations) said 'nah we're not doing that poo poo anymore.' Specific to Domino's, the people that were getting food because of the GroupOn deal weren't coming back to pay full retail price and the people that already get pizza on a regular basis didn't order any more frequently (they just enjoyed the large discount on food once in a while).

I can easily picture them pressuring some smaller business to provide a GroupOn deal in exchange for advertising and increased sales that never materialize. I can also see said smaller businesses (who don't have the benefit of a national advertising campaign like Domino's does) getting a decent chunk of customers only interested in paying GroupOn pricing at which point they go 'do we just keep making poo poo all money or do we cut out GroupOn and maybe lose what business it did bring in?'

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I thikn you just hit the windows key and start typing. Perhaps a bit too slick but the search function itself is pretty good

No I did that and nothing happened which is when I asked 'hey where's the search box?' Dunno. It wasn't Windows 8 because I remember her taking the free upgrade from 8 to 10. Maybe there was just a setting messed up somehow.

FishionMailed has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Feb 15, 2016

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

vyst posted:

How so? Serious question

http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/09/groupon-single-worst-decision/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/229644/why_groupon_sucks_for_small_businesses.html

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49092709

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/groupons-bad-deal

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

FishionMailed posted:

No I did that and nothing happened which is when I asked 'hey where's the search box?' Dunno. It wasn't Windows 8 because I remember her taking the free upgrade from 8 to 10. Maybe there was just a setting messed up somehow.

Maybe she has it locked somehow. I'm typing/searching straight from the start button right now.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You might be dumb? There's definitely a search box right there

http://i.blogs.es/f796ee/win10/original.png

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
^^^ probably

Universe Master posted:

Maybe she has it locked somehow. I'm typing/searching straight from the start button right now.

Hm maybe. Idk otherwise her desktop with 10 seems to be easier to use than 8.

Although it did push a 'Recommended: Facebook app!' ad at me as I was in the windows button looking for the search box and that kinda annoyed me, too.

FishionMailed has a new favorite as of 18:54 on Feb 15, 2016

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I bought a few groupons and they were great as a customer

All of the small businesses where I used one are closed now

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
GroupOns integration with out system was also awful yeah. Just a massive pain in the rear end.

I also didn't know they apparently want direct compensation from the business itself in addition to convincing them to run a promotion at just completely unprofitable prices lmao

50/50 split but they won't split the CC fees on every transaction I'm sure

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

FishionMailed posted:

I can easily picture them pressuring some smaller business to provide a GroupOn deal in exchange for advertising and increased sales that never materialize.

That is exactly what they do.

quote:

The sales process seemed like buying a car. Initially, the rep asked for 100% of the revenue. He eventually “settled” for 50% “Understanding that your business is newer, I decided to split the revenue with you,” he wrote. At one point, Jessie was told that she could only ever run one Groupon over the life of the business.

FishionMailed posted:

50/50 split but they won't split the CC fees on every transaction I'm sure

Again, exactly correct.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the amount of marketing gimmick horseshit that people will fall for is amazing

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I upgraded to Windows 10 but it wouldn't recognize my iPod, USB, or External but would recognize my iPhone, so that thing got set back to Windows 7 after a quick Google search found that Microsoft's response was "We'll fix that eventually"

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
If Windows 7 is working for you, then there is very little reason to upgrade to 10.

And several reasons NOT to upgrade.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Not really circling the drain, but it'll be a tough year for US railroads. A huge portion of their income came from transporting coal, and we all know what's happening there. I work for a major east coast railroad and their planning big layoffs, almost certainly from the coal department. I work in intermodal (shipping containers) and we didn't do too well either, but will probably be okay.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Groupon's biggest problem is that their business model can be copied by virtually any company.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Johnny Aztec posted:

If Windows 7 is working for you, then there is very little reason to upgrade to 10.

And several reasons NOT to upgrade.

The upgrade costs $0 and Windows 7 won't be supported forever. IE 11 isn't getting new features, just patches. Edge is a much safer browser, any way.

Edit: if you buy a new system every two or three years, just get Windows 10 that way.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
I'm not sure if it's still true, but in the height of the economic shitstorm a few years ago, marginal businesses couldn't get financing from banks, so they would sign a faustian bargain with Groupon in place of financing because Groupon would give them cash up front. In a lot of cases, the businesses were pretty badly hosed by the terms (like Groupon paid them $1,000 for $2,500 worth of pizzas), and the ones that did tracking found almost zero repeat business from the coupons.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Don Tacorleone posted:

My pc with W10 has a big annoying search box right next to the start button by default ? I actually wanted to remove it but too lazy to search how

Are you sure it wasn't Windows 8

You can do it if you buy Start10 for $5 bux. It's easily the best purchase I've made.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
Right click on the task bar to open the options menu, see the "Search" menu?

It has three options. Those options are "Hidden", "Show search icon", and "Show search box"

I don't know what they do though, I was so outraged by Microsoft's default color scheme that I installed Ubunto Linux just as fast as I could and have been recommending it to everyone I meet.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

vyst posted:

You can do it if you buy Start10 for $5 bux. It's easily the best purchase I've made.

Classic Start Menu is free and does something similar.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Aleph Null posted:

Classic Start Menu is free and does something similar.

Yea is a good alternative. Star10 is nice because it gets rid of the cortana search bar entirely which makes it worth it to me

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
I played Halo for the first time as like a 12-13 year old and it was GREAT. Too many sequels later and I don't give a poo poo but I do like to name my phone 'Cortana' as an affectation.

Stupid loving MS now I can't do that because it's nowhere near as 'personal' (yeah I know it wasn't very much so to begin with but still).

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

vyst posted:

Yea is a good alternative. Star10 is nice because it gets rid of the cortana search bar entirely which makes it worth it to me

If it can kill the tracking, it would be worth three times as much.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Aleph Null posted:

If it can kill the tracking, it would be worth three times as much.

You can already kill the tracking yourself. It won't stop the service but you can kill everything it tracks already in its options and deeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

reallivedinosaur posted:

Right click on the task bar to open the options menu, see the "Search" menu?

It has three options. Those options are "Hidden", "Show search icon", and "Show search box"

I don't know what they do though, I was so outraged by Microsoft's default color scheme that I installed Ubunto Linux just as fast as I could and have been recommending it to everyone I meet.

haha nice parody of a complete idiot. you've got it down pat.