Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
That's just what happens with the bigger Zupreem. They tend to crack the pellet and eat like 25% of it while the rest turns to shrapnel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Toast is very disapproving of my getting back into Pokeymans. There are so many buttons on the 3DS! And he's not allowed to eat any of them!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Toast is very disapproving of my getting back into Pokeymans. There are so many buttons on the 3DS! And he's not allowed to eat any of them!

Have you considered finding an old remote that you no longer use?

Mindo update: Some very emotional calls later, and we might have a potential home. (My super pregnant wife is owed a lot of kudos for making it through these calls.) We've (she's) found a softbill crazy out in jersey. She's getting a callback, but it sounds like birds are her life, but she has married and is otherwise stable. Doesn't reek of hoarder, seeks medical attention for birds in need, seeks adopters for her rescue birds, etc. I do the stoic WASPy thing pretty well, but this gets me pretty welled up as well imagining actually sending Mindo away.

Need more velcro bird pics, stat.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

H110Hawk posted:

Have you considered finding an old remote that you no longer use?

Mindo update: Some very emotional calls later, and we might have a potential home. (My super pregnant wife is owed a lot of kudos for making it through these calls.) We've (she's) found a softbill crazy out in jersey. She's getting a callback, but it sounds like birds are her life, but she has married and is otherwise stable. Doesn't reek of hoarder, seeks medical attention for birds in need, seeks adopters for her rescue birds, etc. I do the stoic WASPy thing pretty well, but this gets me pretty welled up as well imagining actually sending Mindo away.

Need more velcro bird pics, stat.

My mum was cleaning out the shed and found some big-rear end keyboards from the 80s and was going to suggest giving them to Toast as a chewing toy - until she realised that would probably encourage him to chew my laptop keys more as well :v: (He's getting better at not chewing them because he gets locked up in his cage for 5 minutes whenever he prises a key off the keyboard.)

I only have one remote though and it gets barely used (for my TV; the channel never gets changed as it only ever gets used for my PS3) so encouraging him to eat remotes probably won't be too bad by comparison.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

My mum was cleaning out the shed and found some big-rear end keyboards from the 80s and was going to suggest giving them to Toast as a chewing toy - until she realised that would probably encourage him to chew my laptop keys more as well :v: (He's getting better at not chewing them because he gets locked up in his cage for 5 minutes whenever he prises a key off the keyboard.)

I only have one remote though and it gets barely used (for my TV; the channel never gets changed as it only ever gets used for my PS3) so encouraging him to eat remotes probably won't be too bad by comparison.

You know that those old IBM Model M keyboards are worth money right? And your bird would have trouble with them. :black101:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

PS3 controllers probably look pretty remote-y to birds...

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If it's any conciliation H110Hawk, there is a really special and awesome moment all new parents have when they are holding new baby and it suddenly hits you as to how small baby fingers are and holy poo poo look at the little wittle toesies. I bet you five pounds in your house this will also be followed by "Holy poo poo! what would have happened if mindo had bitten them?"

edit: first time they scratch themselves as well "OH MY GOD WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO YOUR FACE"

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 15, 2016

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

PS3 controllers probably look pretty remote-y to birds...

Toast certainly thinks they are delicious either way. He is not allowed out while I am playing Dark Souls :mad:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
aand Loki has gone to her new home. Our goodbye involved attacking my hand and then hissing at me in the carrier until she was handed over which rather sums up our relationship really. Thor is sat there floofed up looking nonplussed, which also sums up his feelings towards her as well.

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Battle Pigeon posted:

We cleaned his cage yesterday and added a ghetto seed guard to the side using a paper towel and some coffee sticks-the computer side is protected, and part of the front, but not all the way around so he can still sit and watch. And that's where he's been most of the day, napping and nibbling. He does still eat seeds, but pellets more now? He eats his fresh food as ever. Should I be restricting his pellets, or weighing them, or something? I have no idea if he'll get fat from them or not-surely if he's eating them at the expense of seeds then he might even lose some weight? We've never restricted the conures' pellets.

(PS I've tried adding in a tiny amount of fine Harrison's, or a cube or two or course Harrison's, and he just eats around them)

I've never restricted Pearl either and she has been within a few grams of the same weight for the last 3 years or so, so I imagine most birds regulate weight just fine, as long as they aren't exposed to high calorie foods. However, I just remembered Steve was the one who lost a bunch of weight while you were boarding him, so I'm a bit concerned that he, in his majestic derpitude, might be more subject to body weight fluctuations in the face of 'cool pellets, bro!'

Maybe test weighing him or feeling his keel every week or so would set your mind at ease regarding his health? What to do about the all day pellet habit, I have no idea.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

learnincurve posted:

aand Loki has gone to her new home. Our goodbye involved attacking my hand and then hissing at me in the carrier until she was handed over which rather sums up our relationship really. Thor is sat there floofed up looking nonplussed, which also sums up his feelings towards her as well.

It'll be interesting to hear whether Loki is sociable enough to get along with the other potato in the new aviary.

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

I have the day off today! Yay! It's unbelievably chilly in the apartment, despite the thermostat being up, so I'm breaking out the heater. Screw the electricity bill, I've got my birdies to think of.

Also, Maestro is happily muttering to himself in the birdie cave he made under the blanket. He just said "hashtag." Lol wut, bird?

Oh hey, look. It's snowing. :gonk:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

schnickety scribe posted:

Also, Maestro is happily muttering to himself in the birdie cave he made under the blanket. He just said "hashtag." Lol wut, bird?

Your bird's just tweeting.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Your bird's just tweeting.
:pusheen:

schnickety scribe posted:

I have the day off today! Yay! It's unbelievably chilly in the apartment, despite the thermostat being up, so I'm breaking out the heater. Screw the electricity bill, I've got my birdies to think of.

Oh hey, look. It's snowing. :gonk:
I see we live in the same place in alternate dimensions. It's cold today and the wood stove and heater are not doing much to take the edge off.

Stupid hundred year old lovely cabin :mad:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Does anyone know if there is any difference between standard full spectrum bulbs and the ones marked especially for birds? I was looking a getting a simple floor lamp for them, since it's been so cloudy and overcast.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
It was super cold in NYC over the weekend and while my apartment wasn't very cold it was colder than usual so when I let the tiels out and sat in bed and shitposted Ellie took a nap on the bookshelf and Archer landed on my chest in front of my face, puffed out, raised his crest to red alert and just stared at me for an hour. He's normally the most energetic and curious of the bunch so I'm fairly sure he was either waiting to kill me or steal my soul

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Shirec posted:

Does anyone know if there is any difference between standard full spectrum bulbs and the ones marked especially for birds? I was looking a getting a simple floor lamp for them, since it's been so cloudy and overcast.

None at all bar the price. Full spectrum are amazing but if you can find energy saving ones they are worth it, before I switched to them I had at least 5 £18 ordinary bulbs go bang within a week and there is no guarantee on them. "heat bulbs" are actually just ordinary 60w household spotlight bulbs as well.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

learnincurve posted:

None at all bar the price. Full spectrum are amazing but if you can find energy saving ones they are worth it, before I switched to them I had at least 5 £18 ordinary bulbs go bang within a week and there is no guarantee on them. "heat bulbs" are actually just ordinary 60w household spotlight bulbs as well.

Fantastic. Do you think a floor lamp is a good plan, or should I get like a clamp on lamp for each cage? I've been googling and reading but I wasn't sure yet.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Floor lamp, the clamp ons are cheap but easily broken. Use a naked bulb and get the brightest bulb you can find and a dimmer switch plug so you can turn it down in the evening so they know bed time is coming.

I built a vivarium that used to contain a very elderly lizard which was found on a plane from Egypt.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I may need help removing a tumour from my left armpit. I'm currently unable to use my left arm to any useful degree. The tumour is currently making quiet "waark" noises. Any attempt to remove the tumour results in sharp pain and increasingly indignant 'waark' noises. Please send help.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

What kind of vegetable is it?

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Green cheek bitey bastard. I would have gone to bed an hour ago, but it seems to be a pity to disturb him.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

For proper diagnosis I believe it may be necessary to submit photo imagery of the tumor. Our panel of experts is standing by.

<--- Experts

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
I lurk this thread because I desire a bird but have to settle for your pictures but there are no pictures on this page wtf you people are slipping

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
lucky for you, I was digging through old photos and stumbled upon some cabinet adventures!!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Macksy posted:

I lurk this thread because I desire a bird but have to settle for your pictures but there are no pictures on this page wtf you people are slipping

Im getting bird in June/July :3:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Here are some older pictures of Toast and Bitey post-shower for comparison

"I'm a wet birb :kimchi:"

"You will regret this!"

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Full throttle cockatoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hto_uvmLq-8

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

I'm legitimately afraid of full throttle cockatoo

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone who doesn't know that birds have saliva should have one try to feed them

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Let me fondle your fingats with my weird dick-tongue

*adl adl adl*

My babies why won't you eeeeeat

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

lucky for you, I was digging through old photos and stumbled upon some cabinet adventures!!

I love cockatiel adventures :3:

Potato Salad posted:

Im getting bird in June/July :3:
:neckbeard:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Pebble owns

https://youtu.be/OG9itZ2gT7Y
https://youtu.be/Q6WQUlRp4vQ

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
that last one got a little unnerving near the end. thankfully, reading the comments, this was when she first arrived from a previous household that wasn't good for her. it seems like she is much much happier now. :)

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
That first one is one I showed to my Dad to demonstrate why lovebirds are described as making "minimal" noise.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Taco Tuesday

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Aww he looks so happy :3: Like he's going "Hey buddy! What are we doing today?!"

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

greypearl posted:

I've never restricted Pearl either and she has been within a few grams of the same weight for the last 3 years or so, so I imagine most birds regulate weight just fine, as long as they aren't exposed to high calorie foods. However, I just remembered Steve was the one who lost a bunch of weight while you were boarding him, so I'm a bit concerned that he, in his majestic derpitude, might be more subject to body weight fluctuations in the face of 'cool pellets, bro!'

Maybe test weighing him or feeling his keel every week or so would set your mind at ease regarding his health? What to do about the all day pellet habit, I have no idea.

Yeah, I'll do that, weigh him every time I remember and he cooperates. He doesn't let you feel his keel though (does any cockatiel willingly do that?)

I entirely filled his pellet bowl yesterday, just to see how long it takes him to reach the bottom of it. He's mostly been napping today though, and being annoyed I moved his ladders elsewhere off the floor as they were apparently adding to his nesty behaviour

Regarding the keel, Ohtori feels fine (maybe a bit chubby?) and Steve's did when last checked, but recently when we filed Inko's nails down and he was burritoed we both touched Inko's keel and it's sharp and protruding as ever-on the charts it would say he's underweight, maybe severely so. But he weighs 69g, eats everything he can now, his poo poo is normal, he got tested for parasites etc when we got him... he just doesn't use his wings. On the rare occasion he comes to the other room with us, he's managed the courage and will to learn how to fly back through to his cage, or to a retreating human, but that's it. He mostly moves by climbing/pulling himself around via his beak and gripping with 3 of 4 toes, or shuffling his feet (with beak hoovering on the floor for support if going fast). He can't walk normally, or jump/hop, and I don't think he flies properly either, just learnt to hover forward really fast. I hope that's the reason for the keel

References for readers:

Macksy posted:

My camera is hosed and needs to be fully reset every time you take one photo so it's been hard lately :(

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

There is a strange thing on Putni's face...

...is that a poop?

Pion, did you poop on Putni?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I guess your birds are German