Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Saw an ad for the new PPG that had more clips. It looks like Mojo has the same voice actor. Out of the changes to the three girls, Bubbles will be the hardest to adjust to because really no one is gonna sound anything like the voice Tara Strong used and they didn't even try to match it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Anyone catch Bunnicula? It's ok, but the weird thing is that it has Sean Astin as the cat and Chris Kattan as the title character who just speaks gibberish.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's okay. It has a weird disparity between how well it's drawn and how cheaply it's animated.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Sleeveless posted:

Well why do you think Professor Utonium was trying to make little girls in the first place? :pedo:

They were really just an accident.

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 13, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
You think if the app game "sold" well enough that Lakewood Turbo/OK KO(?) would get its own real show eventually? At least Ash's OG voice is still around.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 13, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One last Phineas + Ferb thing to say: I think this is definitely the funniest song in the series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWwiKjCli94

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Crabtree posted:

You think if the app game "sold" well enough that Lakewood Turbo/OK KO(?) would get its own real show eventually? At least Ash's OG voice is still around.

They still got Kid Goku for KO?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

ConanThe3rd posted:

They still got Kid Goku for KO?

Oh poo poo that is Gohan, gently caress they're all sounding alike to me now! Well good that she's alive too then.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The new PPG theme is dope and stylish as gently caress

https://twitter.com/cartoonnetwork/status/699277082333831168

also the first comment is "i hope it's not feminist" lol

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

It's certainly very girl-power. I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea of a Powerpuff Girls that isn't feminist, though. What exactly would that be?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A saw a commercial for that and I guess they gave this new version of the girls some new power where they make energy constructs? You can kind of see it for a second in the video.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I hope the show is everything that commenter fears it will be.

I like that the clown phone thing now appears to be a smartphone app.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

raditts posted:

It's certainly very girl-power. I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea of a Powerpuff Girls that isn't feminist, though. What exactly would that be?

They might be thinking of the episode with that feminist strawwoman villain who turned the girls into what MRAs think feminists are.

That wasn't....a great episode.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

They might be thinking of the episode with that feminist strawwoman villain who turned the girls into what MRAs think feminists are.

That wasn't....a great episode.

There was also that one episode with the villain who was one long, hard erection/emasculation gag.

Oh, there was much merriment amongst the junior high-schoolers of the Internet in those days.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's not a topic you can broach without having all the subtlety of a wrecking ball with rockets on at the best of times, no.

Oxxidation posted:

There was also that one episode with the villain who was one long, hard erection/emasculation gag.

Oh, there was much merriment amongst the junior high-schoolers of the Internet in those days.
Wait, what?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

It's not a topic you can broach without having all the subtlety of a wrecking ball with rockets on at the best of times, no.

Wait, what?

There was some robot villain who kept getting stronger and larger as all the male superheroes (who condescendingly pushed away the girls) fought him, proclaiming that "the longer you beat me, the harder I become." Eventually, the girls step up to the plate and do a combination attack to become a flaming hot pussy(cat) that rubs up against the villain until he explodes and shrinks down to a tiny, tiny size. At which point the male superheroes all start cross-dressing for reasons I can't recall.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010

raditts posted:

The Rowdy Ruff Boys?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

The new PPG theme is dope and stylish as gently caress

https://twitter.com/cartoonnetwork/status/699277082333831168

also the first comment is "i hope it's not feminist" lol

This is loving excellent and now I'm way more excited than I was.

Actually the whole reboot could just be this and I'd be satisfied.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's neat, but I do miss a little the geometric simplicity of the old one. Also that theme's twice as long as the original with like ten times as many words.

Also they're in middle school now? Weird.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's neat, but I do miss a little the geometric simplicity of the old one. Also that theme's twice as long as the original with like ten times as many words.

I think this is just the full theme, in-show it'll probably be abridged.

Not sure where you're getting middle school from

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

To be fair the original theme had a long version and the version they're probably gonna actually play before the new show will be lucky if it's 30 seconds

Also I do admit that it's very odd to me that they made Professor Utonium look exactly the same except they rounded him out a tiny bit, thus sort of negating why you'd bother keeping him exactly the same.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Here's the original ending theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6epMQlNWtI

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

axleblaze posted:

To be fair the original theme had a long version and the version they're probably gonna actually play before the new show will be lucky if it's 30 seconds

Also I do admit that it's very odd to me that they made Professor Utonium look exactly the same except they rounded him out a tiny bit, thus sort of negating why you'd bother keeping him exactly the same.

I don't understand what this means. The character designs all look the same to me, just with thinner outlines and I guess that's enough to make it look like Adventure Time to some people?

That sounds rude but I don't know how to rephrase it to not sound rude, so please read it with a quiet, unsure tone instead of an aggressive bitter one.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The thing with Utonium's design was was that he was really, really square. Like the concept of his design was to make a guy made up of sharp angles. I was just saying it's odd that they made him look almost exactly the same but rounded some of the angles because :shrug:

Like if you want to keep a character's design, why change the most interesting quality of it?

I'm not saying it's a big deal or even really a deal, it's just odd.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

So it was meant to be in contrast to the girls, who are entirely round? That makes sense.

I think I prefer the new look, the old one seems kind of dated (yeah, Yeah, retro, I know) and overly-harsh, but I get that it would also give the show a more unique look compared to everything else.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

e: gently caress, wrong thread

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

axleblaze posted:

The thing with Utonium's design was was that he was really, really square. Like the concept of his design was to make a guy made up of sharp angles. I was just saying it's odd that they made him look almost exactly the same but rounded some of the angles because :shrug:

Like if you want to keep a character's design, why change the most interesting quality of it?

I'm not saying it's a big deal or even really a deal, it's just odd.

There was also that incredibly bizarre joke in the body swap episode where Buttercup (in the Professor's body) can't pick anything up because his fingers can't separate.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mycot posted:

There was also that incredibly bizarre joke in the body swap episode where Buttercup (in the Professor's body) can't pick anything up because his fingers can't separate.

Fantastic was to lampshade and make canon that the Powerpuff Girls don't have fingers even though the rest of the children did. I wonder if that was done purely for budgeting reasons on the animation.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

mycot posted:

That episode was straight up bonkers

That theme song and intro are really good, even though I don't like the overall designs. I don't think comparing it to Adventure Time is fair though. AT has a very distinct style. Just because it doesn't have the thick outlines doesn't make it "look like adventure time"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Professor Utonium's angles are supposed to contrast with the fact that the Powerpuff Girls are all circles. There's a lot of really nice stylistic choices involved with the Powerpuff Girls, and of course trying to rejigger things for a reboot is going to throw some of those stylistic things out of wack, but it's a bit of a shame.

I dug up the original Powerpuff Girl short, and it's interesting how much things changed and yet stayed the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdUgSKHN6TA

kidcoelacanth posted:

Not sure where you're getting middle school from

A hall full of half-lockers just screams middle school to me, I dunno.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

TV shows always give lockers to every single level of education, from elementary school to college.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Oxxidation posted:

There was some robot villain who kept getting stronger and larger as all the male superheroes (who condescendingly pushed away the girls) fought him, proclaiming that "the longer you beat me, the harder I become." Eventually, the girls step up to the plate and do a combination attack to become a flaming hot pussy(cat) that rubs up against the villain until he explodes and shrinks down to a tiny, tiny size. At which point the male superheroes all start cross-dressing for reasons I can't recall.

In retrospect a lot of the GRRRL POWER stuff from cartoons of that era is just as cringeworthy as the other end of the spectrum. It was very much of that time in the late-90s when girls were allowed if not encouraged to like boy stuff like sports but boys were still sissies if they liked girl stuff.

Macaluso posted:

That episode was straight up bonkers

The show got really batshit as it went on, like when they tried to make a new sister and wound up making a mentally disabled PPG who exploded because her molecular structure was unstable.

In retrospect the episode Collect Her is brilliant because even when the internet was still young it did a spot-on job satirizing the kinds of superfans that would eventually become weeaboos, Bronies, Gemtlemen, et al.

https://vimeo.com/115745224

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, the thing is those kind of fans were always around, lest we forget the stalking of Tiny Toons voice actresses.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Yeah I was going to say I always got an Animaniacs vibe from the Collector episode.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Oxxidation posted:

The episode was called "Members Only."

Yes, really.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 16, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It had the Justice Friends in it didn't it?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mycot posted:

Yeah I was going to say I always got an Animaniacs vibe from the Collector episode.

Lest we forget,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQyuNpzp29E

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

kidcoelacanth posted:

This is loving excellent and now I'm way more excited than I was.

Actually the whole reboot could just be this and I'd be satisfied.

I'm the Power Puff hotline being updated to be a smartphone because millenial children have never seen a rotary telephone and would literally not know what it was supposed to be.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The 90s were the time of the rise of collectors. People started thinking that comics and action figures were great as investments, which was where the whole "mint in box" thing came about.

Then the whole thing collapsed when people realized that the comics of the 90s were too mass-produced and well-preserved for the issues to become rare collector's items like the old comics from the 50s became.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

The 90s were the time of the rise of collectors. People started thinking that comics and action figures were great as investments, which was where the whole "mint in box" thing came about.

Then the whole thing collapsed when people realized that the comics of the 90s were too mass-produced and well-preserved for the issues to become rare collector's items like the old comics from the 50s became.

This also happened to Beanie Babies, if I recall. Everybody had them, so people's collections ended up being worthless.