Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

elle vee posted:

Thanks very much for the advice ladies! I guess I should have specified that nighttime sleeping is fine- she's swaddled and sleeping for ~12 hours with one or two feedings in the middle of the night - but she doesn't want to nap during the day.

I just don't get it, she goes down to sleep at 7pm with a usual of tired fussing, but during the day she may be yawning up a storm, but as soon as we put her in the crib she wakes up and is bopping around in there (we have blackout curtains and she has no problem self-soothing at night) until eventually she gets bored and starts crying. She'll sleep in the carseat if we're going somewhere and she'll sleep in the Ergo if we're going for a walk, and once I got her to sleep in the Rock'n'play, but otherwise she will not nap.

Our baby is 4 months old and still very rarely sleeps during the day unless he's on us or in the ergo. He managed a nap in his crib a total of 2 times in four months yet has no trouble sleeping in his crib at night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Baby Declan arrived 3 weeks early last Sunday! He weighed 7lbs 6oz and is very healthy.

My water broke Friday night but I had no contractions or other signs of labor, so I waited until Saturday morning to go to the hospital. They confirmed my water broke and that I wasn't in labor otherwise, and started me on pitocin to induce. I got an epidural that night, was 3cm dilated at 2am, and slept pretty well all things considered. At 7:30am a new nurse comes on shift and tells me I'm probably fully dilated and ready to push. I didn't believe her - I was only 3cm last they checked and I fully expected it to take another day. Doctor comes in, confirms that it's pushing time, and 15 minutes later baby was born. The whole experience was a lot more relaxed, positive, and easier than I had feared. Epidurals are amazing. I didn't experience any pain afterwards and am recovering nicely. Trying to squeeze in a few hours of sleep with a newborn, on the other hand...

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It is a well-known phenomenon that babies hate cribs. Junior prefers a sloped surface with her butt low and feet high. A beanbag is her favorite sleep spot.
Or, go for a walk and let them sleep in the stroller on your porch, Swedish style.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

peanut posted:

Or, go for a walk and let them sleep in the stroller on your porch, Swedish style.

Yeah, my kid adamantly refused to nap in the crib or anywhere inside unless she fell asleep in my arms while nursing. She would only nap in a moving stroller, so I basically had to go for two hourlong walks a day from when she was a newborn. It was nice in the late summer and fall, but exhausting and horrible in the winter, so when she finally consented to sleeping in a parked stroller on our veranda, I just about cried with relief.

elle vee
Apr 16, 2003

thank you, ma'am!
Bwahaha, I guess I'm the last person to figure out the moving stroller thing. So far she's been asleep for more than 2 hours and I just had to come home for a pit stop. I am now hyper-aware of every squeaky thing in my house. :ninja:

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Hooray for naps!

Re: sleepchat - an update on my chronically horrible sleeper. We figured we'd try ditching the daytime nap, even though she showed every sign of still needing it, because we were ready to try anything. Lo and behold, she went from taking at least 1.5 hours from bedtime to actual sleep, to 15-20 minutes. It's heaven! She still wakes up once or twice during the night, but holy crap, we have our evenings back! And now that she's sleeping that extra hour or more at night, she stopped needing to make it up during the day :)

Aquamarie
Jul 22, 2004

do not swim without knowing jeez

Hi_Bears posted:

Baby Declan arrived 3 weeks early last Sunday! He weighed 7lbs 6oz and is very healthy.

That's a great looking kid.

For the record, morning sickness was way easier to deal with without a ten month old yelling at me from the other side of the baby gate. Ugh.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
Speaking of hemorrhoids, any good advice? I'm only 25 weeks and my poor butt can't take much more.

(besides stool softeners and lots of water/fiber. Hemorrhoid relief, I suppose.)

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Tucks

Palisader posted:

Speaking of hemorrhoids, any good advice? I'm only 25 weeks and my poor butt can't take much more.

(besides stool softeners and lots of water/fiber. Hemorrhoid relief, I suppose.)

Tucks pads? Or make some witch hazel soaked frozen pads now as practice for post-partum? The witchhazel really helped with the itching.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Palisader posted:

Half a bag of kale, squatty potty.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Palisader posted:

Sitz bath! I didn't know about it until post birth but I wish I had it while pregnant

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

rear end cream

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
Kegels can help reduce the swelling, so can sleeping on your left side. Definitely eat a ton of fiber. I found that Kashi Go Lean cereal and Fiber One bars were helpful. Also, a squatty potty or some other way to improve your sitting position.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

I cannot thank you all enough.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I wanted to revisit the genetic testing conversation from a few pages ago. I did want to say it was very valuable to me and I appreciate those who commented. I did take the test knowing a bit more about it and the risks involved. It came back positive for a chromosomal abnormality, so I did go ahead with the amnio which also came back positive.

It's obviously not what we wanted but at least we know now before symptoms show up after the child is born and we freak out trying to figure it out. I just wanted to throw my story out there in the mix so people make informed choices.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010
I have barely started this pregnancy thing and it is already kicking my rear end.

Last week I started feeling mildly queasy. It was fine for a while, then it got worse and I figured I had a stomach virus and took a couple days off work. Then I started hating foods completely at random, smelling absolutely everything and not being the tiniest bit happy about it, and long story short I got a positive result on my home pregnancy test this morning.

I have been nauseous for more than a week. No actual vomiting, but my only states are "feeling ready to puke" and "asleep". If I eat a couple saltine crackers, I feel okay for maybe 10-20 minutes, but I don't WANT to eat anything whatsoever. Until today about six things seemed okay, but all I can manage now is the crackers, tea, and limade bars. Because I'm eating like poo poo, I feel like a rung-out dishrag, and even when I get momentary "hey, X might be okay/kind of good" flashes, I can't drag my rear end to the kitchen or make myself open the goddamn fridge. I've been doing the "only eating a little at a time" and "not eating and drinking at the same time", but they don't actually help. I AM taking a prenatal vitamin, and I'm about 10 pounds overweight so I won't starve to death. I just really, really want to be able to do more than lie on the couch and whimper. I can't even concentrate enough to read more than a couple pages of a book.

My first prenatal visit is scheduled for Tuesday, but any advice on surviving until then? Please?

I actually am really happy about this pregnancy conceptually (it was planned/wanted), but on an immediate practical level I loving hate this.

ucmallory
Jun 23, 2005

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

My first prenatal visit is scheduled for Tuesday, but any advice on surviving until then? Please?

Some things I've heard worked/things I've tried:

1. Eat what you can and don't worry about your nutrients at this point. Keep taking the prenatal vitamin except...
2. Check and see if your prenatal vitamin has iron in it. If it does, temporarily you might want to switch to an iron-free one. My info from the doctor said that iron can make you more nauseated. My gummy prenatals are iron-free, and I just take an iron supplement on top of them now that I'm past the first trimester. You could try the iron-free pills for awhile and see if they help.
3. My also pregnant, super morning sickness-affected, best friend swears by those sea band things for your wrists. I always thought they were a scam, but they were also listed in my doctor's info as something that would help.
4. I would just try to keep something in my stomach at all times, even if I didn't feel like eating. Crackers, a bit of pasta, toast, etc. are all really easy to eat in small quantities and prepare with little to no energy.

Hope this helps. Hang in there.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
UCMallory's advice is good. I found that taking my prenatal before bed, rather than first thing in the morning, helped me avoid nausea. I didn't have too extreme of morning sickness, but I know people who have. Many of them swear by ginger chews or candied ginger. I couldn't stand to drink plain water, so I mixed my water with ginger ale. Sour foods can also help calm your stomach. Preggie Pops can be helpful.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I had similar issues. A few things that helped were to always have food to snack on. Saltines and Tootsie Roll pops were my go to. I kept a bandana handy with a bit of scent that didn't make me gag so I could put it on my nose and block out the gross. I did gummy prenatals and never had an issue with iron as I just ate lots of iron rich food after my first trimester.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

I have barely started this pregnancy thing and it is already kicking my rear end.

It's hard to believe that you can feel so crap when your kid is barely conceived, but the pregnancy hormones can do such a big number on you, and it's worse in the beginning, because they flood your system and your body isn't used to them at all, so it's all "HOLY CRAP WHAT'S GOING ON BARF".

I never threw up, but II had to nibble something starchy and salty non-stop to keep the constant nausea somewhat at bay. It sucks, but you will almost certainly feel tons better after the first three months, and possibly sooner - after two months the nausea started going away for me, and I had an amazing second trimester and most of the third.

Hang in there, this too will (probably :v:) pass!

Avalinka
Nov 4, 2009

Staryberry posted:

UCMallory's advice is good. I found that taking my prenatal before bed, rather than first thing in the morning, helped me avoid nausea. I didn't have too extreme of morning sickness, but I know people who have. Many of them swear by ginger chews or candied ginger. I couldn't stand to drink plain water, so I mixed my water with ginger ale. Sour foods can also help calm your stomach. Preggie Pops can be helpful.

I lived off sour fruits in my first trimester - pineapple, strawberries and nectarines in particular. Very lucky I had a summer forst trimester or it would have been expensive.

PacoTheThird
Oct 23, 2008
I second taking the prenatal vitamin at night.

Constantly sucking on Jolly Ranchers helped me, as did inhaling the scent from ginger candies (trying to eat them made me want to horf, however). My doctor also recommended Diclegis, which is an anti-nausea med specifically for pregnant women, but my insurance unfortunately would not cover it and it's super expensive. Luckily, Diclegis is basically Unisom + B6, so my doc was able to tell me what combination of those things to take. Obviously, talk to your doctor first before going that route if that's something you're interested in.

Eat whatever sounds good, even if it's terrible fast food or nothing but bread. Those first several weeks are all about surviving, and it's better that you eat something, even if it's garbage.

Good luck! Things will probably ease up for you within a few weeks.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Hyperemesis-lady here. I found diclegis (aka b6 and unisom) to be worth 1000x its weight in gold. Might be worth checking out. It can take up to a week to build up adequately in your system, but you can go anywhere from a slight lessening of nausea to a complete remission.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010
Thanks for the advice, all.

I've been taking the prenatals at night all along, but I'm having my husband pick up some without iron, along with one of those sea band things. Ginger ale is helping a little, and other than that when I start feeling too horrible I just go ahead and sleep. I've decided that since I'm miserable anyway, this was a good time to stop drinking tea. I didn't drink enough to do any damage, but better safe than sorry. Today I've actually been more dizzy than queasy. It's not much of an improvement as I still can't concentrate. I'll probably be begging my doctor for that Diclegis stuff, because as it is there's no way I'm able to go to work and actually accomplish anything.

Luckily I have the most understanding boss imaginable (it's my mother-in-law, and this means she will be the first of her siblings to have a grandbaby), so I won't get fired for missing a lot...but I am missing hours.

nissu
Apr 29, 2014
My sciatica has left the building! Yay for me! I don't know what did the final trick to make my lower back pop two times in the middle of the night - so loudly that I woke up to that happening - but after those two pops my buttock was like brand new.

For the two weeks before that happening I had to eat tylenol twice a day, I was on sick leave as I was not allowed to sit down at all, I kept cold pack on my butt for 10 min's for couple of times/day, I got my butt and lower back massaged at least four times, I got acupuncture and one physical therapist "moved my bones just a tiny bit" or something like that.

So after all those came the pops and I couldn't be happier :)

Now that I can concentrate on something else than the excruciating pain, I have a question.

Everybody tells us that "don't buy too many new born size clothes as the babies will grow sooooo fast out from them". So how fast is fast and how many different clothes we should buy? :aaa:
Our boy is due May 1st and the weather here could be anything from late spring to late winter.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

nissu posted:

Everybody tells us that "don't buy too many new born size clothes as the babies will grow sooooo fast out from them". So how fast is fast and how many different clothes we should buy? :aaa:
Our boy is due May 1st and the weather here could be anything from late spring to late winter.

Some babies are born "snug" in newborn sizes.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

nissu posted:

Yeah, definitely don't go overboard. Remember, the stores will still be there after baby is born. Buy a couple of things in the various newborn sizes, and then you can run out and get more of the things you find you need when you see the size of your baby, and see how fast she/he grows. We thought we'd been conservative in our purchases, but we still had lots of clothes our kids just never got around to wearing, because since they pee, poop and barf all over themselves on a regular basis, you'll do laundry like once a day. Looking back, I think we just rotated through like 6-7 simple outfits for the first month.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You're also likely to receive clothes as presents. Shopping is fun but it's easy to overspend. I agree with 6 outfits washed often.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Baby size is obviously a factor of a lot of things, but our daughter was born and started wearing 3 month clothes. None of the newborn outfits people bought us fit her. She's 4 months now, and is going on 9 month clothes.

Luckily, we have friends with a 2 year old daughter who we borrow clothes from, so we haven't had to buy anything. Consider looking for a clothing swap club, or going to a consignment shop. Newborns don't care what they wear, anyway.

Agreeing with above. Depending how frequently you do laundry, have an outfit or two per day that you can rotate through. 6-8 outfits and do laundry when you run out.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 20, 2016

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

I expected to have a big baby and bought zero newborn clothes. He turned out to be 7 lbs and was swimming in the 3 mo clothes for the first week. But now at 3 weeks old he is basically fitting into them so any newborn clothes would have been short lived anyway.

Don't get pants they are annoying to put on. Zippers are easier than snaps - you'll appreciate it for the 10+ diaper changes each day. Just get a handful of footed onesies and you're good to go.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

Yeah, take a look at the weight ranges on the newborn clothes, they don't go that big. Same thing with newborn diapers. We bought one pack of cute, cheap onsies in the newborn size, and everything else in 3mo. If you're expecting in early May, you might want to look at those pajama sack... things. They are a lot more forgiving size wise, and might be good if it gets cooler at night.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Just buy 0-3 months. Newborns that can't move aren't going to care about the pants being too long or the shirts being big.

My kid did not fit in the newborn going home outfit we bought him. Luckily we brought a 0-3 option for him too and while slightly big it fit.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Most baby clothes sold in the US pull over the head, which sucks with any baby who can't sit yet. I use front-snap rompers and kimono-tie undershirts the most.
US sizing is confusing too. Centimeters 4eva.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

peanut posted:

and kimono-tie undershirts the most.

Are they anything like this: http://www.mossenvy.com/Organic_Cotton_Muslin_Side_Tie_Kimono_nb_3mo_p/parent-muslinkimono.htm

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

peanut posted:

Most baby clothes sold in the US pull over the head, which sucks with any baby who can't sit yet. I use front-snap rompers and kimono-tie undershirts the most.
US sizing is confusing too. Centimeters 4eva.

My baby is going to be a size 2.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I thought my baby was going to skip newborn size clothing but she came 10 days early and was fairly small/average.

nissu
Apr 29, 2014
Thank you all for your comments! I really appreciate all the hints I can get.

Have you prepared your beds/car seats/sofas for the possibility of your water breaking while sitting/lying on them?
One of my friends told me to protect them when I get closer to the due date, but I kind of feel silly to do that. The car seat protection might be okay, as there is the seat heater, but still...

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Your water is more likely to break when you stand up after sitting down for a while. And it's likely not going to be a giant gush, so you probably won't damage any furniture. For me it happened when I stood up, and it soaked the crotch of my pants a little but that's it. I do recommend buying some Depends adult diapers - they were great for catching all the fluid while we made our way to the hospital, and they were useful in the first few days post partum for all the bleeding. The Depends Silhouette line was surprisingly comfortable.

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007
I did that. I got a vinyl backed tablecloth for two bucks on clearance and laid it under me in the car when we went to the hospital in labor. It was a brand new car and a 45 minute drive to the hospital...I didn't end up needing it but it was only $2. I also have a waterproof mattress cover, which is something you'll probably want to have anyway when you have an infant and leaky boobs and the horrible post partum sweats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
The "birth announced by sudden and unexpected gush of water"-scene from the movies is just a trope. It rarely happens like that.
You'll probably know you're in labour long before your water breaks.
Mine didn't break until I'd been in proper semi-undressed lying in a hospital bed-labour for a while.

Edit: Definitely prepare something sensible to sit on for the ride to the hospital, but you don't need to cover all your furniture in plastic sheets the weeks before your due date.

Sockmuppet fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 21, 2016