Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Theglavwen posted:

Don't read: Bitchy ranting follows.

Oh man do I hate like ... all the options flying around right now. NPCKidel would be terrible, knowing he's around and not being able to witness or fulfil any of the poo poo we wanted to do and see through his eyes, it would make whatever other character that was being played feel so second-string. Even though a reload doesn't seem likely to happen, reloading back to the teleport would kinda suck too. I was pretty psyched about dealing with the fallout from being banned from Ur, and losing everything that was done with the bugs would blow. I mean, I guess that's the punishment for reloading, but I'd rather have to deal with the poo poo that we got into then just get to ignore it completely. Go back to the hive and have to man up and tell our Balls what the deal is or something.

Asahel and Judah are the worst options. Well, except for David or whoever. I guess I was just really out of touch with what other people wanted, though I'm happy for the people who are psyched about playing someone like that. To me though it's just pointless; practically everything I thought was cool about the game is out with a more 'normal' Blooded dude. Imagine going through the events at Taanach or Gebeb without Enkidel's particular perspective and contacts - we wouldn't know most of the mysteries that made this game so cool even existed without Enkidel's unique perspective and vision, and that's not even counting the mysteries that were specifically about him. Plus, it doesn't seem like Asahel or Judah is going to factor super significantly in things to come on their own. One of the awesome things in this game was that right from the start we knew something others didn't, we knew that something was up, something big was coming, and had the impression that we could actually play a significant part in it. Playing just some Blooded dude seems to just end that plot hook.

Anyone voting against a reset but pro Asahel is kidding themselves. What makes Asahel cool is that he's Enkidel2.0 - Enkidel, but without the exceptional stuff. Playing Asahel would just be playing a handicapped Enkidel, all the same interests, none of the potential to pursue them. Maybe the same for Judah, if to a lesser extent. Would just suck knowing we'll never be in a position to rock with the Fare's and Amoks of the world, always having to be in the reserves. Admittedly, getting to play the plucky commoner who ends up influencing huge events has its own appeal, but in this world would be insanely frustrating since we know the promise of being able to be one of the huge events. Yeah, Asahel and Judah would be a lot safer, but the tantalizing challenge of being able to navigate Enkidel's difficult waters and achieve greatness despite everything put against him was so crucial to my enjoyment of this game, at least. It felt so awesome when Enkidel was able to do even mundane blooded poo poo, because it felt like we loving earned it. Playing somebody safer, with proportionately less promise, sounds like it will be equally as frustrating as it was when Enkidel was never allowed to do anything, except now we don't even get the promise of being able to do it eventually.

Should have gone with the Kadmonim or something at least. Experience a culture outside of Ur, with its own issues and unique perspective. Not just more 'El, Melachim, Demons, etc.' Asahel or Judah is just continuing in Enkidel's world without the benefit of Enkidel's insight.

Ah well. Don't listen to me, I'm just sad and ranting. I really believe that this game was Enkidel, and should die with him, and that trying to follow his story with any character even remotely similar in time, place or nature is asking for a let down. But apparently I'm in the significant minority with that. Rationally I know Diog wouldn't keep going without new hooks and interesting developments to throw in, but I just can't feel it right now. I'm glad other people can.

I have a counterpoint to this: Tudiya. Now it might not be the case that we could ever go toe-to-toe with Amok, but...a powered up Tudiya apparently stood down a demon invasion from the sea by himself. Think about us powering up Uriah. As Asahel we could seek out Amok or some other demi-god and try to do something similar....or just go the El route, but that seems sort of less obvious to how it works.

Edit: I agree with a lot of the rest though, but I feel like there could be a path to some sort secrets with another character, especially Asahel whose parentage is murky too. I always liked the idea of an adventurer (like Eleazar) with a bunch of amazing god-tier gear, like the wanderer's shield, charging in like a bad-rear end.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Are Reload/Choice votes being counted as reload and also switch? Because for me it's just reload but if that fails I'd like to play X

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Votecount up to speed!

41 votes for Judah with 24 for Asahel.
51 votes to reload, 29 to not reload.

Do tell if you spot something wrong, I'll change it when I see it / tommorow if gets too late.

I've been counting reload-and-switch as a vote for pro-reload. I assume if reload wins that gets a separate vote on how exactly we do it.

charms
Oct 14, 2012

Asahel, no reload. We already had a reload and it was the lowest point of the entire game.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I'm unsure if anyone has mentioned the reason I take for opposing NPC-Enkidel:

Diog is terrible at playing Enkidel. Like, he doesn't anticipate goon decisions very well, and has said so repeatedly. NPC-Enkidel ... wouldn't really be much like our character at all, except in a cargo cult imitation.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

I don't think it's a good idea to play Ashael if Enkidel is still around

People will continue to try playing him by having multi-page write in speeches every other vote to convince him to do something

e:^^^ if you think about it, playing as Judeah is a reload, since we have to go back in time to start with him

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 16, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Vavrek posted:

I'm unsure if anyone has mentioned the reason I take for opposing NPC-Enkidel:

Diog is terrible at playing Enkidel. Like, he doesn't anticipate goon decisions to not actually figure out what is happening very well, and has said so repeatedly. NPC-Enkidel ... wouldn't really be much like our character at all, except in a cargo cult imitation.

goons back away from bad decisions that they didn't think about by offloading responsibility onto the GM, accurate post.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

maxhush posted:

I don't think it's a good idea to play Ashael if Enkidel is still around

People will continue to try playing him by having multi-page write in speeches every other vote to convince him to do something

e:^^^ if you think about it, playing as Judeah is a reload, since we have to go back in time to start with him

Yeah! And we can totally avoid this fate for Enkidel if we play our cards right. Obviously we can't interact directly with him, but we could try to send some kind of message, a warning of sorts to try to stop him from coming on this trip.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Grognan posted:

goons back away from bad decisions that they didn't think about by offloading responsibility onto the GM, accurate post.

I mean poo poo like Denzy's flying city, not assuming the players would figure out the obvious.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Mr. Nemo posted:

Yeah! And we can totally avoid this fate for Enkidel if we play our cards right. Obviously we can't interact directly with him, but we could try to send some kind of message, a warning of sorts to try to stop him from coming on this trip.

He really needs to know that it'll lead to nothing but disaster. I'm sure he'll listen to us.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Mr. Nemo posted:

gently caress that, seriously. It's a cheap way to try worm out of the sum our decisions here.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Tsyni posted:

I have a counterpoint to this: Tudiya. Now it might not be the case that we could ever go toe-to-toe with Amok, but...a powered up Tudiya apparently stood down a demon invasion from the sea by himself. Think about us powering up Uriah. As Asahel we could seek out Amok or some other demi-god and try to do something similar....or just go the El route, but that seems sort of less obvious to how it works.

Yeah, Tudiya didn't really do it though, he was just kinda there while waves of angels fought the beast off. And that's what I can't help but feel will be in store for Asahel or Judah. A chance to be around and maybe influence the people who will actually be doing things.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
Since I just caught up, changing from H - Kadmonim to Judah

I still think reload is cheating.

Esper
Nov 23, 2004
Killed a baboon, once.
I already voted for a savescum previously, and I'm not sure if this is a new vote or not... but if it is, count me Pro Reload

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I'd really like to reload and do option D - make sweet gear and hoof it. Sorry Gebebans, your life was hard labor until you get eaten by a giant before. Now it's the same, except not a slave.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
I want to change my vote to anything/don't care

With diog as the engine, i will gladly join hands with the good goons in this threat to steer whatever ship we get into great adventure and/or trouble.

I just want to take one lesson from this and that is that : The road to hell a fate worse than death is paved with good intentions. trying to save anyone and everyone ever at the same time without making a single sacrifice.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Theglavwen posted:

Don't read: Bitchy ranting follows.

Oh man do I hate like ... all the options flying around right now. NPCKidel would be terrible, knowing he's around and not being able to witness or fulfil any of the poo poo we wanted to do and see through his eyes, it would make whatever other character that was being played feel so second-string. Even though a reload doesn't seem likely to happen, reloading back to the teleport would kinda suck too. I was pretty psyched about dealing with the fallout from being banned from Ur, and losing everything that was done with the bugs would blow. I mean, I guess that's the punishment for reloading, but I'd rather have to deal with the poo poo that we got into then just get to ignore it completely. Go back to the hive and have to man up and tell our Balls what the deal is or something.

Asahel and Judah are the worst options. Well, except for David or whoever. I guess I was just really out of touch with what other people wanted, though I'm happy for the people who are psyched about playing someone like that. To me though it's just pointless; practically everything I thought was cool about the game is out with a more 'normal' Blooded dude. Imagine going through the events at Taanach or Gebeb without Enkidel's particular perspective and contacts - we wouldn't know most of the mysteries that made this game so cool even existed without Enkidel's unique perspective and vision, and that's not even counting the mysteries that were specifically about him. Plus, it doesn't seem like Asahel or Judah is going to factor super significantly in things to come on their own. One of the awesome things in this game was that right from the start we knew something others didn't, we knew that something was up, something big was coming, and had the impression that we could actually play a significant part in it. Playing just some Blooded dude seems to just end that plot hook.

Anyone voting against a reset but pro Asahel is kidding themselves. What makes Asahel cool is that he's Enkidel2.0 - Enkidel, but without the exceptional stuff. Playing Asahel would just be playing a handicapped Enkidel, all the same interests, none of the potential to pursue them. Maybe the same for Judah, if to a lesser extent. Would just suck knowing we'll never be in a position to rock with the Fare's and Amoks of the world, always having to be in the reserves. Admittedly, getting to play the plucky commoner who ends up influencing huge events has its own appeal, but in this world would be insanely frustrating since we know the promise of being able to be one of the huge events. Yeah, Asahel and Judah would be a lot safer, but the tantalizing challenge of being able to navigate Enkidel's difficult waters and achieve greatness despite everything put against him was so crucial to my enjoyment of this game, at least. It felt so awesome when Enkidel was able to do even mundane blooded poo poo, because it felt like we loving earned it. Playing somebody safer, with proportionately less promise, sounds like it will be equally as frustrating as it was when Enkidel was never allowed to do anything, except now we don't even get the promise of being able to do it eventually.

Should have gone with the Kadmonim or something at least. Experience a culture outside of Ur, with its own issues and unique perspective. Not just more 'El, Melachim, Demons, etc.' Asahel or Judah is just continuing in Enkidel's world without the benefit of Enkidel's insight.

Ah well. Don't listen to me, I'm just sad and ranting. I really believe that this game was Enkidel, and should die with him, and that trying to follow his story with any character even remotely similar in time, place or nature is asking for a let down. But apparently I'm in the significant minority with that. Rationally I know Diog wouldn't keep going without new hooks and interesting developments to throw in, but I just can't feel it right now. I'm glad other people can.

I sort of agree, but I have the hope that if we play a blooded dude, we can get to like labras levels of power. Playing an unblooded person would be even worse for the exact reasons you describe. "You're Lefkandi! While the demons invade Zepath you sit in your hut and rock back and forth". My issue with reloading is simply this: I don't think we can ever make enki even approach a good end. Whenever disaster strikes and those closest to us are in danger, we'll do the exact same poo poo, and get into trouble for it. If we rewind every time it happens, then we're just going to take greater and greater risks. I think the only way we get an ending where we can ask diog all the questions is playing a different character and dying in a suitably heroic way. Like, I know we risk a "no-answers" ending, but with Enki that ending seems utterly inevitable. I'm convinced that as a voter block we're not equipped to responsibly refrain from using our powers in situations in which we consider characters we're invested in to be at risk. Until we can do that, there's no way we get anything out of Ish, which is basically the only way we get answers without blowing our head up. Even knowing the gate was worse than death we opened it. Heck we chose to experiment knowing full well it was utterly unlikely to do anything. If we can't accept we're gods of limited power, there's no point in playing Enki, its just going to be us banging our heads against a wall of frustration, as no one trusts us, because they *can't*.

Heck, if Ish had taught us to... idk, breathe fire, and had said "Never ever use this, whatever happens", I'm 100% sure we'd all have voted to breathe fire at the Demon. Unless we're willing to abandon all our attachments and seek out Amok to teach us, then we're never going to get the power we want. Not to mention that even if we found Amok he'd likely be like Ish in the "you can't be trusted until you prove you have utter control" thing.

I kind of hope the reset wins, despite being against it, because I love playing Enki, but if it does, we, as a voter base, need to reconsider how we handle things. Specifically, I'd like to make a more... general no experimenting vote.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 16, 2016

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
It would be hilarious if the game ended at random one turn because autopilot enkidel destroyed the world on accident.

Klingtron
Sep 10, 2011

Diogines posted:

If people want to reload AND play as Asahel, I don't see any more problems with that, compared to just reloading. Not playing Enkidel resolves some of the Enkidel specific problems. Asahel with Enkidel alive won't rule Kavodel.

I don't know how I feel about that, share your thoughts.

Edit: And you won't have control over the Balls. Be a Sidekick As Someone Else Chooses Their Adventure?

I would personally rather play as Judah here but I think this is a good solution for this.

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!

TheCog posted:

I kind of hope the reset wins, despite being against it, because I love playing Enki, but if it does, we, as a voter base, need to reconsider how we handle things. Specifically, I'd like to make a more... general no experimenting vote.

The issue here was not experimentation. The issue was that people were so impatient that they had to go to the most dangerous part of the known world right now despite not being powerful enough to do so, and then unwilling to make any compromises once there. The problem wasn't the final vote, since Dio has said numerous times that most likely any decision made there would end with everyone dying. Opening the gate wasn't the issue, being in a position where it was open the gate or watching most of our family die was.

Because people wanted to go and see giant-land right away, despite being not powerful enough to handle most of what was out there. There were probably places Enkidel could have gone exploring that weren't so ridiculously beyond his reach, but no, people had to go see the giants RIGHT NOW.

Enkidel has undergone a steady growth in power. There are plenty of indications that will keep happening. People just need to practice a bit of patience and realize they can still have awesome adventures in parts of the world that aren't instant death at every corner.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
People, just restart as Judah. Don't be back down bitches.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Majestic posted:

The issue here was not experimentation. The issue was that people were so impatient that they had to go to the most dangerous part of the known world right now despite not being powerful enough to do so, and then unwilling to make any compromises once there. The problem wasn't the final vote, since Dio has said numerous times that most likely any decision made there would end with everyone dying. Opening the gate wasn't the issue, being in a position where it was open the gate or watching most of our family die was.

Because people wanted to go and see giant-land right away, despite being not powerful enough to handle most of what was out there. There were probably places Enkidel could have gone exploring that weren't so ridiculously beyond his reach, but no, people had to go see the giants RIGHT NOW.

Enkidel has undergone a steady growth in power. There are plenty of indications that will keep happening. People just need to practice a bit of patience and realize they can still have awesome adventures in parts of the world that aren't instant death at every corner.

The core issue isn't a lack of patience though, its reasonable to get in over our heads and have to run. Its an unwillingness to accept that we have to run, or accept defeat. Its fine if we go to giant land and say "gently caress, can't handle this", but when all our men told us it was impossible to save the gebbebians, we had to try anyway, when poo poo hit the fan, we doubled down, and then doubled down again. Heck, what we *should* have done is told our men "I hosed up the teleport, we're gonna try this anyway, but on my command, we abandon most of the gebians". Or even just settled for saving the children, but we can't ever accept that things are beyond us.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Majestic posted:

3 years into the thread 'impatient' isn't an accusation that holds any weight to me.

Everseen
Apr 27, 2010
Judah, pro reload

If we do go Judah I hope we become the Donut's first ever justice luchador.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Even better, if we become Judah and unite the donut, we can play Crusader Kings: Ur Edition!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Waci posted:

Even better, if we become Judah and unite the donut, we can play Crusader Kings: Ur Edition!
Stealing a man's daughter, banging her and then killing her father and brothers to claim his title works in Ur too! In fact, its traditional!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Pictured above: On the left is a Mighty Man. On the right, some poor schlub about to get flattened! Such is life in the Donut! A hostile place where the strong do as they may and the weak suffer as they must! The Donut is exactly where we are headed next!

Judah has won over Asahel by a significant margin.

I am going to sleep on it before I make a final decision, but I believe we will be going with Judah instead of reloading or picking Asahel. I am not closing voting yet. I feel good about Asahel or Judah, every time I think I favor one over the other I change my mind. But I feel pretty good about going ahead with Judah. If people want to change their minds or try to rally for Asahel you still can.

To those who are leaving us, it has been fun. I would like to thank all of you again for staying with us. I am excited for what lay ahead and hope to deliver on the sorts of exciting adventure's Enkidel had with less uh... "mystic cryptic bullshit". The answers that Enkidel sought may well be something he can pursue! But since Judah is probably not a half Melachim he won't be constrained by special, negative attention. I am going to be mindful of some of the things which caused negative out-of-character feelings between players and actively try to avoid that. I am also going to try to make the possible outcomes of options more obvious so you don't need to rely upon stored knowledge as much, WITHOUT making clear cut options which are better than others. I hope the adventure ahead will be fun for everyone and I would like to think our game thus far has been a learning experience. I am optimistic for what is coming next! We will start with his manhood trial and then do some (short) flash backs to cover the details of his life up to that point.

I would like some help making a banner ad. If you want to help make one, or throw in some money for an advertisement, come to #judah on IRC. Banner adds cost $32 for 4, so I am in for at least 8. We will tentatively start on Thursday. I asked our gracious mod Ettin if I could make a new thread, run that for a week or two and then go back to the main thread(thus attracting new players) and he said yes. I intend to use that thread afterwards to post duplicate copies of the update and JUST the update, that way when you see new posts in that thread you know an update is up and can check the main thread.

Also, Thaumocrates is as Blooded as Labaras himself and truly Mighty to count this one!

Diogines fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 16, 2016

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Diogines posted:

Stealing a man's daughter, banging her and then killing her father and brothers to claim his title works in Ur too! In fact, its traditional!

Excellent! We'll carve out our own realm within Ur, and then bring El's light to the heathens outside!

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Waci posted:

If we were playing Crusader Kings we would be playing as Asahel, since Zepath hasn't progressed enough to unlock anything but Elective Gavelkind.

I play a whole lot of Crusader Kings. Coincidentally, I love Kavodel.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Music Theory posted:

If we were playing Crusader Kings we would be playing as Asahel, since Zepath hasn't progressed enough to unlock anything but Elective Gavelkind.

Zepath is actually elective though the electors are weird. The super-elector, the King, has veto power. But the Blooded families, High Priest and he King's advisors have input too. The oldest one does not get the title automatically!

I also love Crusader Kings.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
e: Nvm spite posting. I don't like this change though.

Arkanomen fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 16, 2016

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I'm okay with this. Pretty new location and an entirely different cast. I promise to not try to run Judah into the ground ASAP and get the Kadmonim game going.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Music Theory posted:

10/10 Lets do CK2:PL

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

IRC question posted:

<FoxTerrier> Diog Snuls is OK right? (Lie to us! Lie!)

I will reveal information about Snarls fate, no matter the outcome.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

LowellDND posted:

10/10 Lets do CK2:PL

It's going to be great. Once we're the Emperor of Ur, how many secrets can the House of El hide?

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Diogines posted:

I will reveal information about Snarls fate, no matter the outcome.

He's on a farm happily running through meadows full of flowers. He plays with the pack by day and gets belly rubs by night. Watches-The-Stupid-Fuzzies is there too.

This is now canon. :colbert:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Can Judah raise a Roc

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Raise a Roc, train it to accept a rider, become Emperor Karl Franz after we steal the secret of firearms from the lizards rediscover a lost art of Labaras.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

FoxTerrier posted:

He's on a farm happily running through meadows full of flowers. He plays with the pack by day and gets belly rubs by night. Watches-The-Stupid-Fuzzies is there too.

This is now canon. :colbert:
...it might be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
Judah's a pretty good choice. Arguably the best of the presented options, in my opinion.

As long as people can understand that 1)They won't be making as lofty of decisions, and 2) they will have a limited power level and can't "magic" our way out of things, there's a lot of room for fun adventures that could easily one day see us as a King with reasonable pull in regional events if the voting leads us that way.

We're essentially playing as a blank slate Uriah without all the baggage. Things will shift to focus more on regional than divine events - but the shift of focus may also breathe new life into a game that's been in need of something like that for awhile.