Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Does anyone know of a time ever in the history of television when this stupid bullshit has worked, and network meddling in broadcast order has improved or saved a show? Like even once?

Not Fox, but Happy Endings had a bunch of later-season episodes frontloaded after the pilot. The feeling was that they were funnier and a better representative of what the show could be (which was correct). It led to some weird plot stuff later, but that's less of an issue with a sitcom I suppose. Show made it 3 seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
That must be it then. I guess I don't watch too many fox shows these days. Tend to stick to cable TV and a few network shows on cbs and nbc.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I don't know if this comes across to American audiences but Lucifer comes off as incredibly camp to me as a Brit. It seems weird he is going after all these women when he's being played as a stereotypically gay character. It was kinda touched on with the shot of a man in Lucifers bed after a 3-some but I think it would have been cooler if he picked up men and women in equal amounts. He is the devil after all, his preference for debauchery shouldn't be constricted by sexuality.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Go back to posting about Sumo wrestling dude. :)

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Flayer posted:

. It was kinda touched on with the shot of a man in Lucifers bed after a 3-some

He made the Eiffel tower reference which gives the character an out. But yeah, the way he speaks comes off as stereotypically British gay man.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A funny thing about the comic and him having sex is that they show he doesn't actually have a dick.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

A funny thing about the comic and him having sex is that they show he doesn't actually have a dick.
There's more to sex than penetration. :colbert:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Flayer posted:

I don't know if this comes across to American audiences but Lucifer comes off as incredibly camp to me as a Brit. It seems weird he is going after all these women when he's being played as a stereotypically gay character. It was kinda touched on with the shot of a man in Lucifers bed after a 3-some but I think it would have been cooler if he picked up men and women in equal amounts. He is the devil after all, his preference for debauchery shouldn't be constricted by sexuality.

America isn't too into being equal gay and equal straight in the same go. America can't handle bisexuals. You're either one way or the other. The shot of him in bed with another dude and girl was just a play on Devils threesome. And the fact the devil probably would like all forms and genders of sex. But I highly doubt we see him picking up on guys because then it would become a drama about a gay guy to America's perception.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Somehow he managed to do it with Mazikeen, and Spera is surprised and/or amazed at learning said thing.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
This show is wonderful. :allears:

"Somebody flip the omlette if it's not already ruined"

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Oh my god this entire PUA seminar is amazing.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Make a new club set? Hell no, have the party at Lux.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Who else is expecting the kidnapped girl to be in on it and its a scam?

Edit: Yep, she's in on it. Wasn't expecting the brother to be the kidnapper, but hey.

Zebulon fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 16, 2016

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I can't say I was expecting it, but I'm not surprised. That twist is way too common.

On the other hand, I'm definitely interested in what Decker's going to do now that she's seen him doing his crazy devilface thing.

Edit: Oh, shoot him, and then nothing. gasp

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 16, 2016

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

I kind of get the impression that he managed to get shot and injured purely because it was her trying to hurt him and he's still otherwise invincible/immortal. Seems to go along with the fact she's immune to his devilish charms and all that. That or its exposure to her directly that is causing him to become more vulnerable.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Kin posted:

This show is formulaic crime solving garbage for idiots except it's already jumped the shark by making the lead the loving devil.

The likes of Supernatural did Lucifer with daddy issues much better and this is going to die on its arse after like 3 seasons of milking a will they/wont they romance with the main female character.

Yeah, this is absolute garbage. Which is a shame, because the male lead is great and the little girl is a neat character.

GEE I WONDER IF THE SEXXXXXY LADYCOP WILL FALL IN LOVE WITH LUCIFER

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
This show is pretty entertaining.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Loved how Satan crashed that D.E.N.N.I.S. System self-help speech.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011
Holy poo poo the angel demon fight was cheezy as gently caress

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Are they actually playing PUAs for laughs? This is amazing :allears:

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011
This show badly needs a metaplot, and fast.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
That was reasonably entertaining. The show doesn't stand out, but it's enough to make me want to keep watching. The PUA thing was amazing. I can see how the police procedural with a twist type of show would get tired really, really fast, and under no circumstances could I ever stand to watch more than one a week, but so far one a week has been okay. I wouldn't mind if they got away from the bog standard formula though.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm digging the show. Loved the knives in the angel fight.

The PUA thing was hilarious though, as was the blown cover. I was incredibly surprised they showed the wing scars as bluntly as they did though. I remember seeing them an episode or two ago but I thought it would stay a background thing.

His reaction to saying "Please" for what is probably the first time in his life was amazing. Dude's got some acting chops.

My guess for the twist bit will be that the lead cop will be the only person that can hurt him. It'd be a neat plotline to have him become human though. I can only imagine the sheer amount of trouble a Lucifer who can get drunk/high would get into.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

My guess for the twist bit will be that the lead cop will be the only person that can hurt him. It'd be a neat plotline to have him become human though. I can only imagine the sheer amount of trouble a Lucifer who can get drunk/high would get into.

I thought they basically gave away what the twist will be this episode. "No *~*HUMAN*~* can resist my charms."

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

They didn't spend that much time on the procedural part in this episode imo. It wasn't the focus, but rather mainly a backdrop for Lucifer and Decker. Compare it to something like Castle, where the mystery is the emphasis. I feel like it's moving away from procedural at a sort of similar clip as Justified.

I thought this episode was pretty well written, though the fight scene was pretty bad and would have been much better used to reveal the Mazikeen from the comic. The letting Decker see more so she just starts to believe a little bit but then is able to injure him so she doesn't anymore is a smart move that could potentially set up some interesting directions to go in. I liked that Lucifer is simultaneously completely charming yet a babe in the woods now that he's been rejected. Also, loved that this of all shows made fun of PUA and as always there are some excellent lines: "I can arrange that, actually."

P.S. Metro is a thing you goony fucks.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Negging on PUA groups is trending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuNULdtlhQw

Flayer posted:

I don't know if this comes across to American audiences but Lucifer comes off as incredibly camp to me as a Brit.
Oh it comes across.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Chasiubao posted:

Are they actually playing PUAs for laughs? This is amazing :allears:

They seemed to be giving them way too much credit to me. In fact, this episode seemed pretty weak overall, compared with the previous ones.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Did figured the girl was behind it all but not why and that her brother was in on it.

The wing scars were a nice touch. I'm going to guess that Maze(?) is going to ask Lucifer to prove he still has it which I'm thinking she turns on him if doesn't.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Maybe it's because I have such a high opinion of PUA's like everyone else, but I just assumed the PUA guru dude was in on it somehow.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Production order is not going to be kind to this show. This was the 3rd episode and now Chloe firmly believes that Lucifer is just a normal guy and this is after people have seen the "Shoves guy 30 feet through glass" episode so anyone wanting to stick around for the meta-plot is going to quit and wait for the entire series to finish.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pentyne posted:

Production order is not going to be kind to this show. This was the 3rd episode and now Chloe firmly believes that Lucifer is just a normal guy and this is after people have seen the "Shoves guy 30 feet through glass" episode so anyone wanting to stick around for the meta-plot is going to quit and wait for the entire series to finish.

In this episode she just saw him turn all demon-face and still reject it. That's kind of her thing, and short of that Angel literally showing up and battling Lucifer that's probably what she's going to continue doing.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I don't really mind the is-he-isn't-he thing being dragged out. It doesn't feel like a particularly pressing issue or a sub-plot that desperately needs to develop. I mean, what would it change? Say you find out the nice bloke over at the grocery store is actually Zeus. You don't want to be a dick though so it's not like you'll tell everyone, and who would believe you anyway. If the devil is actually a pretty decent fellow running a nightclub, the world could be off worse.

Perhaps she'd ask him to use his powers for an investigation every once in a while, have a few more conversations like the hypothetical one in the last episode, but that seems about it. It definitely could do with some more meta-plot though, like is he turning human, or back to full angel? Are there any repercussions to the devil not being in hell, or not behaving appropriately devilish? It looks like she'll turn into his 'weak spot' that the angel might use for leverage, but that doesn't seem like the most interesting plot either. I'm mostly just watching it for the comedy so far.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
This show is camp. I'm enjoying it, but It's not my favorite police case of the week show (that's limitless ATM)

That said, I'll keep watching cause the guy who plays Lucifer is fascinating.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
On a scale between Probably and No, what's the likelihood of them bringing the Basanos from the comic in for an episode? And would it be cool or forgettable?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fleve posted:

I mean, what would it change? Say you find out the nice bloke over at the grocery store is actually Zeus.

Well, for one thing I'd keep women, children, and pets away from him.

After this week's episode I don't think I can go on with the show. Everything besides Tom Ellis is just so terrible, lazy, and boring. It feels like everyone involved gave up after settling on a concept.

But just to add to the debate, I initially thought that Lucifer was set in a world where people weren't generally aware of the devil even as a legendary figure. If someone came up to me and said, "Hi, I'm Lucifer Morningstar," my first reaction would be, "Why did you pick a terrible name for yourself? Also, that fedora looks terrible." Nobody on the show seemed to notice how tacky the idea of someone calling himself "Lucifer" was. But apparently people are well aware of the connection...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Random Stranger posted:

But just to add to the debate, I initially thought that Lucifer was set in a world where people weren't generally aware of the devil even as a legendary figure. If someone came up to me and said, "Hi, I'm Lucifer Morningstar," my first reaction would be, "Why did you pick a terrible name for yourself? Also, that fedora looks terrible."

People don't normally pick out their names.

Even so, the first episode had her ask him if that was a stage name.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

imperialparadox posted:

The guy playing Lucifer is pretty damned charismatic - he's actually likeable - though I do hope that they show him trying to do more hosed up things like setting up the duel at the end of the last episode, because he is the Devil after all.

I thought it was a great touch that the hench-succubus set things up so that while both guys would get punished, because they both deserved it, the one who actually killed people was the only one who was going to actually die, because his sins were worse.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

computer parts posted:

People don't normally pick out their names.

Anyone calling themselves "Lucifer Morningstar" in the real world has.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Random Stranger posted:

Those are the kind of parents that conceive their child while listening to Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath in one of their parents' station wagon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

Or your the child of a celebrity. They love to name their kids stupid poo poo like Jason Lee naming his kid Pilot Inspektor.

Lucifers quips are the best and I don't think I'll ever tire of them. This is an entertaining show that I have never enjoyably laughed so much at a drama. Any goon looking for some breaking bad type drama should probably leave now.

• Locked thread