Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

dreezy posted:

you've got it down pat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

I upgraded to Windows 10 but it wouldn't recognize my iPod, USB, or External but would recognize my iPhone, so that thing got set back to Windows 7 after a quick Google search found that Microsoft's response was "We'll fix that eventually"
I would ask when that was as they did a massive fix of things a couple months ago that cleared up almost all the niggling annoyances on my surface 3.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It would have been around then, maybe I missed an update by a few days

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Japanese people still use yahoo for news and searching, I know this because I dated a Jappo and every time I used her laptop it would open to yahoo and when I asked her why she said so

It's possible she was lying to me and purposely set her homepage to yahoo just to trick an American into thinking Japanese people were idiot rednecks of the internet but I don't think she was capable of such deceit but then again she is Asian so it's highly possible she was but I just didn't notice the signs

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Botnit posted:

Japanese people still use yahoo for news and searching, I know this because I dated a Jappo and every time I used her laptop it would open to yahoo and when I asked her why she said so

It's possible she was lying to me and purposely set her homepage to yahoo just to trick an American into thinking Japanese people were idiot rednecks of the internet but I don't think she was capable of such deceit but then again she is Asian so it's highly possible she was but I just didn't notice the signs

Did she just happen to go to school in 1997ish where the internet was new to non-geeks, and was taught to use yahoo in her computer orientation class, and was never retrained? I know a few people like that.

Also, Yahoo is fairly big with the fantasy sports crowd, isn't it?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
my wife learned to use the Internet in 1999 and she still uses Yahoo as her homepage.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Hot drat

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

more like this please, jiggly and large but yet still firm and fit

just fat isn't attractive

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

reallivedinosaur posted:

Did she just happen to go to school in 1997ish where the internet was new to non-geeks, and was taught to use yahoo in her computer orientation class, and was never retrained? I know a few people like that.

no, yahoo is actually huge in japan

quote:

Yahoo Japan logged 18.4 billion page views and 66 million unique visitors in February, compared with 13.4 billion page views and 62.7 million unique visitors for top rival Google Japan and its affiliates, according to comScore Japan. Those numbers effectively make Yahoo Japan and the sites under its banner the most popular in Japan.

Google Japan’s figures include YouTube, which is 100 percent owned by Google, and Gmail, its email service.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

no, yahoo is actually huge in japan

Japan seemingly collectively decided sometime in the late 90s that "This is a good level of technology. We will stick with this."

Things like Yahoo, flip-phones, fax machines and CDs that fell or are falling out of use in the rest of the developed world somehow soldier on there.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

The_Franz posted:

Japan seemingly collectively decided sometime in the late 90s that "This is a good level of technology. We will stick with this."

This is accurate. Their retail websites are like one tiny step above Geocities.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

yahoo is a perfectly functional and normal homepage and web portal.

EDIT: wait does yahoo have a video service? is it Vimeo?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

FishionMailed posted:

I played Halo for the first time as like a 12-13 year old and it was GREAT. Too many sequels later and I don't give a poo poo but I do like to name my phone 'Cortana' as an affectation.

Stupid loving MS now I can't do that because it's nowhere near as 'personal' (yeah I know it wasn't very much so to begin with but still).

Did you mean to post this in the millennial thread?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Business Gorillas posted:

the execs making these decisions know exactly what they're doing and make changes that short-term profits but gently caress up the company in the long term. the goal is to post the biggest numbers possible from slashing costs as much as possible and then bail before the ramifications from slashing said costs (brain drain, people stop buying your products because they're cheaper and shoddier than they were before) are felt
well gently caress, now i can't be happy when chain retailers kill themselves because the same assholes that are gutting an entire industry will make out like bandits and live to fight another day. that's what happens when corporations almost universally subscribe to Milton Friedman's view of capitalism for over 30 years

reallivedinosaur posted:

i thought that was the only thing that Yahoo had going for it until somebody said it's still used in Japan. i think it's pretty big in China too. it's not enough to save them, though. i think they've been posting heavy losses for a while

also, their CEO proves that women in the boardroom can be just as sociopathic as their male counterparts. one of the things Marissa Mayer did was implement a "no working from home" policy that was widely liked by employees with children. i'm almost certain she had a child very soon after

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Y-Hat posted:

i thought that was the only thing that Yahoo had going for it until somebody said it's still used in Japan.

What do you mean somebody? I don't take kindly to you glossing over my threadly contributions

Botnit has a new favorite as of 01:26 on Feb 16, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Botnit posted:

What do you mean somebody? I don't take kindly to you glossing over my threadly contributions
sorry i thought the goon who said it originally had a long name that i didn't feel like typing out completely, and i didn't scroll down far enough to see you post it first. i'm lazy

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

canyoneer posted:

Groupon turning down a $6B buyout from google is the funniest thing, because Google realized "there is nothing Groupon is currently doing that we could not also do (and probably at least as well)"

I will always smile when I think about this. Pretty sure google wanted to buy them just to eliminate the competition.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Speaking of yahoo, a required update or some program I really needed bundled in some kind of integrated yahoo search engine for firefox and IE. The kind where if you typed one word like books into the address bar, it pulls up some yahoo search results page.

I've tried looking around for ways to remove it, but apparently it's a really sticky program.

gently caress off, yahoo.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Yahoo owns alibaba (the chinese ebay) shares, so many of them that it's like 15x the value of yahoo itself. They can make a drain into which they throw money daily and still have tons of money forever. Yahoo's web business may not be doing ok but they have fucktons of money. Like more than you could ever spend.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
more white women imo

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I have to admit, I don't use Yahoo for searching because Google gives me better results, but their overall 'everything else' is pretty good for reading random articles and current events and horrible user comments to innocent stories.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

redreader posted:

Yahoo owns alibaba (the chinese ebay) shares, so many of them that it's like 15x the value of yahoo itself. They can make a drain into which they throw money daily and still have tons of money forever. Yahoo's web business may not be doing ok but they have fucktons of money. Like more than you could ever spend.

Except it actually can't sell those shares or even spin them off into a new company because then yahoo would owe something like $10B in capital gains taxes.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My mom Googles for Yahoo

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

lol if you think yahoo has any idea how to make money off tumblr

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tim Burns Effect posted:

lol if you think yahoo has any idea how to make money off tumblr

Promise to shut it down for X billions of $.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Wicker Man posted:

Speaking of yahoo, a required update or some program I really needed bundled in some kind of integrated yahoo search engine for firefox and IE. The kind where if you typed one word like books into the address bar, it pulls up some yahoo search results page.

I've tried looking around for ways to remove it, but apparently it's a really sticky program.

gently caress off, yahoo.

You have a virus

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

Netflix has a pretty horrible selection of cheap Asylum-and-the-like garbage now, with movies that people might actually want to watch being rotated out.

Shomi is starting to do the same thing
Old Netflix was great because if something was on DVD in the US they almost certainly had it, and you could be watching it in a day or two. Now with streaming you can watch instantly but there's a bunch of poo poo no one wants to watch, and stuff that seems like a no-brainer to always be available isn't. Bring up the issue in CineD and SMG and his ilk will take a break from huffing their own farts for a minute to tell you you're way too picky about what you watch.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Casimir Radon posted:

Old Netflix was great because if something was on DVD in the US they almost certainly had it, and you could be watching it in a day or two. Now with streaming you can watch instantly but there's a bunch of poo poo no one wants to watch, and stuff that seems like a no-brainer to always be available isn't. Bring up the issue in CineD and SMG and his ilk will take a break from huffing their own farts for a minute to tell you you're way too picky about what you watch.

I took a gamble and watched Extraterrestrial. It was a lovely slasher film, mixed with a lovely Alien, mixed with a lovely Fire in the Sky. Garbage.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Wooden wagon wheel megastores........HAHA whoa

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
Yahoo has a neat function that is able to download all mails from your Facebook friends, when you link the accounts together.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

steinrokkan posted:

Promise to shut it down for X billions of $.

or do the opposite, hold it hostage. does anyone remember a few years ago when a few people organised a tumbler convention? they were unaffiliated with tumbler, they had never held a convention before, they weren't professional anythings, but they still convinced people there was a convention (which at that point they hadn't yet actually organised, and which may or may not have ever materialised) and got loads of people to buy tickets for it. then as the date approached they claimed the convention hall was trying to shut them down for mysterious and unspecified reasons, and that they needed "donations" to the tune of thousands (I think it may have been tens of thousands, but it was definitely thousands at least) of dollars to avoid that (again, for unspecified reasons) which they received from the people who already had paid for their tickets.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

TontoCorazon posted:

You have a virus

I know yahoo is a virus, I want it to git out :colbert:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Wicker Man posted:

that's why you always look for checkboxes in programs you update so that it doesn't give you yahoo or ask toolbars. they're always checked by default because the guys who make these programs are assholes

also don't use firefox or IE you dingus

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

or do the opposite, hold it hostage. does anyone remember a few years ago when a few people organised a tumbler convention?
boy do i ever. it was the funniest and most pathetic thing ever. the various organizing panels were filled to the brim with clashing egos, the Nightvale guys refused to come because they weren't gonna be paid immediately (if at all), and there was a ball pit for people to chill out in, because everyone who went there is a child

but yeah, tumblr was a tremendous money sink for yahoo and they just bought it because they're filthy rich. it's the corporate takeover version of buying an old expensive car that you'll never drive. i'd say it's good that they're leaving it be, but the community there needs to be meddled with

get that OUT of my face has a new favorite as of 10:44 on Feb 16, 2016

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

or do the opposite, hold it hostage. does anyone remember a few years ago when a few people organised a tumbler convention? they were unaffiliated with tumbler, they had never held a convention before, they weren't professional anythings, but they still convinced people there was a convention (which at that point they hadn't yet actually organised, and which may or may not have ever materialised) and got loads of people to buy tickets for it. then as the date approached they claimed the convention hall was trying to shut them down for mysterious and unspecified reasons, and that they needed "donations" to the tune of thousands (I think it may have been tens of thousands, but it was definitely thousands at least) of dollars to avoid that (again, for unspecified reasons) which they received from the people who already had paid for their tickets.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

George Zimmer posted:

Not really circling the drain, but it'll be a tough year for US railroads. A huge portion of their income came from transporting coal, and we all know what's happening there. I work for a major east coast railroad and their planning big layoffs, almost certainly from the coal department. I work in intermodal (shipping containers) and we didn't do too well either, but will probably be okay.

Happening where? What? Coal?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Happening where? What? Coal?

China actually buys a lot of foreign coal, but they are going through economic troubles now. At the same time American coal plants are facing increased regulation and many are being forced to shut down. The historically low price of natural gas isn't helping either, with a lot of coal plants converting to gas.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

China actually buys a lot of foreign coal, but they are going through economic troubles now. At the same time American coal plants are facing increased regulation and many are being forced to shut down. The historically low price of natural gas isn't helping either, with a lot of coal plants converting to gas.

I would argue that fracking is biggest factor with coal getting killed since it made natural gas so much cheaper than coal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
To make matters worse, there's a shitton of dedicated track for coal facilities that cant be reconfigured for other uses or sold for any significant sum. If you work in the coal transportation business, you are totally hosed.