Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

Iglocska posted:

Guys, this just in from reddit: Co-op in the PU will be just as (or more) fun as co-op in SQ42 would have been, you'll be able to do the exact same things. Does this mean that SQ42 is a completely obsolete game already?

Of course it's obsolete. You already have video. You already have sound. That's basically Episode 1 right there.

Edit: vvvvvvvvv :gary:

Differo Cathedra fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

ComfyPants posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2OcbeGqbpU

I am the very model of a despot Stimsis Stimperor
I torture every stimpizen and animal and footballer
I know the major organs and their weakness biological
From testicle to pancreas in order categorical;
I'm very well acquainted, too, with matters abominable
I vivisect intestines, turn them into soup primordial,
About forced cannibalism I'm teeming with a lot of stews
With many civil meats sauteed in fatty citizen tissues.

I'm very good at liquidizing silver and implanting it
In place of babies' skeletons on Bastille Day I must admit
In short in matters befitting a diabolic torturer

I know the mythic history of all Stimpires one through ten
I've brought them pain and misery, it's fun, I'd do it all again
I force all of my subjects to watch every execution once
All of those who don't will know the meaning of capacitance
I can zap their kidneys with eternal shocks of electricity
I love the croaking chorus as they gasp from the toxicity
Then I'll make them immortal and continue with my dissection
And triple all the pain each second, bodies wracked with convulsion

Then I can write a script in which the actors drown in blood and gore
The actors will play ball or else it's off to the macerator

In fact when I know what is meant by planetary ravagin'
When I can tell at sight a Vanduul spaceship from a Javelin
When such affairs as thought crime and rebellion I'm more wary at,
And when I know precisely what is meant by a "space chariot"
When I have neutered everyone for touching their own genitals
When I demand obediance from my enforcer generals
In short when I'm a-splattering the losing Stimsis football team...

ooo...team? team, leam, peam...a-ha, I have it!

...you'll say no better Stimsis Stimperor has ever made you scream.

For my adversaries tremble while I'm plucking out their ovaries
The sickening truths known today will last throughout the centuries
I am the very model of a despot Stimsis Stimperor.

Sung that one with gusto :master:

Outstanding! :gary:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hav posted:

Yeah, even a basic sampling makes me want to [citation needed].

They're filling in the blanks with their imaginations.

It's hard to blame them. They've been incrementally sold the idea that this game will be everything they've ever wanted, and they've been encouraged to let their DREAMS run wild at every opportunity. That's sort of the brilliance of the way Star Citizen has unfolded. If Crobberts had come right out of the gate and been like "I'm going to make a game where you can do anything you dream up" everyone would have waggled their dicks at him and he'd still be sharing cans of cat food with Sandi for dinner. But the first pitch was reasonable - ambitious maybe, but reasonable - and then little by little, with each 10FTC and each [SUGGESTION] thread, they kept hooking rubes who think that it's their dream to scrap other peoples' ships with the people still inside, or trade exotic alien fish, or whatever other stupid poo poo, because the answer is always "of course!"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I'm curious how long it takes before there is more of an uprising. We've already seen more doubt from big backers lately, but I have to imagine a few more months without any new game mechanics (well, the ones that matter) has to start raising some doubts from quite a few backers.

Geguri Gegogi
Oct 13, 2010

Tippis posted:

I'm going to do something outrageous and give an actual reasonable explanation for something Sandi says… :stare:

The kind of person who'd say that is an actor.

You know those “actor boot camps” that have become popular since (roughly) the turn of the century? Where they take absolute goofs and teach them how to, say, hold a gun or move around a corner without looking like a goof (at least on the 8th take). Same thing here, but for kicking someone in the nuts or just striking a pose.

e:f;b, of course…

I'd like to build upon this speculation, so Sandi draws an (inflated) salary from CIG, which she then uses a portion of to purchase 'martial-arts for actors' courses as a personal hobby?

Lol, nah, this training is for her upcoming mocap fight scenes in SQ42:2 The Squadining, and all paid for directly from CIG coffers (backer's 'donated' money).

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

1500 posted:

I got a 2 month ban for that exchange. I wonder how much the Mod's have spent on SC, most of them say its ok for CIG to scam their backers.
Is that salesman Mr. Nowak still posting?
He showed me new levels of how far from reality a narrative can be. Quite educational as such.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm curious how long it takes before there is more of an uprising. We've already seen more doubt from big backers lately, but I have to imagine a few more months without any new game mechanics (well, the ones that matter) has to start raising some doubts from quite a few backers.
It won't happen if only because Chris Roberts is an expert in...finding funds. He knows when to throw his backers a bone when they need it the most and when anything bad starts brewing he'll throw that bone. Hell, I'm actually pretty sure the whole SC development is 100% occupied with creating future bones to throw and not getting an actual product put together, just a string of tech demos that prove that they're still working on it.

His last resort - and I assure you it will happen - will be asking for another backing spree so that they can 'finish' the game. People who alread put thousands of dollars into this vaporware won't hesitate even a second about throwing 'just a bit' more not to face the reality of loss.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 16, 2016

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Palpek posted:

It won't happen if only because Chris Roberts is an expert in...finding funds. He knows when to throw his backers a bone when they need it the most and when anything bad starts brewing he'll throw that bone. Hell, I'm actually pretty sure the whole SC development is 100% occupied with creating future bones to throw and not getting an actual product put together, just a string of tech demos that prove that they're still working on it.

True. It's been a while since we have had a concept sale.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Palpek posted:

His last resort - and I assure you it will happen - will be asking for another backing spree so that they can 'finish' the game. People who alread put thousands of dollars into this vaporware won't hesitate even a second about throwing 'just a bit' more not to face the reality of loss.

I had this same thought. "Just a bit more guys! This is it - the home stretch!" Backers who point to the article years ago when Chris said he had enough money to finish the game if funding stopped will be silenced and banned faster than you can blink. Money will fall from the sky, and there's nothing anyone can do to stop it.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Iglocska posted:

Guys, this just in from reddit: Co-op in the PU will be just as (or more) fun as co-op in SQ42 would have been, you'll be able to do the exact same things. Does this mean that SQ42 is a completely obsolete game already?

Those guys are amazing. So eager to shout about the randomly indicated (maybe) coming features, so eager to forget about any content that's been cut.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

People suffering from a sunk cost fallacy.

I expect CIG to exploit the sunk cost fallacy like a boss over the next year. Chris Roberts will probably return to his message of making Star Citizen succeed against the horde of doubters; he will use the backers need for meaning and purpose to keep them buying.

Also, did anyone notice the 50% sale on the buggy? I thought it was interesting as a foretaste of deep sales to come. CIG was probably testing the waters about selling JPEGs at a lower price... I expect this to continue, moving up through the lowest priced ships. This will drive some backers crazy, but the rest know that CIG needs tons of cash to finish, so they will be ok.

Geguri Gegogi
Oct 13, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My wife just laughs when I tell her the latest insanity for SC.

When I try to explain SC insanity to my fiance shes just says 'don't currr' and walks away :(

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Why is this not :twoweeks: yet?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Palpek posted:

"I hate that I have to come to you and ask for more money to finish this game. But this is the game we all believe in. This is the game I've always wanted to make. We're almost there. The detractors and trolls (read: goons) have cost this production a lot in terms of time and money, so we need just a little more help from you all. We won't let them win, and with your (financial) support I know we can finish the game of our DREAMS.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
There's a saying an old friend told me about borrowing money which I think translates over to this mess..

"If you owe someone £50 it's your problem, if you owe someone £5000 it's their problem."

This is exactly what is keeping people from turning on CIG. If people had dropped $30 on this scam they'd have written it off already and be pointing and laughing with the rest of us. But they don't want to write off $250, they can't write off $1000, and the ones who have spent $10,000 or more will need to go on suicide watch when it finally clicks.

I remember when I was a kid pretending to play a terrible C64 game for hours on end because I'd begged my mum for it in the shop and I felt too guilty to admit it was bad. Now I imagine these people having to admit to themselves and their loved ones that they've poured a large amount of money into something which is either never going to materialise or be massively underwhelming if it does.

Keep lying to others, keep lying to themselves. Anything to keep the faith.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Wulfling posted:

Why is this not :twoweeks: yet?

The :twoweeks: starts in two weeks.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Geguri Gegogi posted:

I'd like to build upon this speculation, so Sandi draws an (inflated) salary from CIG, which she then uses a portion of to purchase 'martial-arts for actors' courses as a personal hobby?

Lol, nah, this training is for her upcoming mocap fight scenes in SQ42:2 The Squadining, and all paid for directly from CIG coffers (backer's 'donated' money).

I would say she is almost certainly paying a bunch of money for acting classes, and doing it on the weekend is just another example of her never taking a day off.

I bet it's funny when she goes to her weekend shoots and all the other failed actors are complaining about their lovely day jobs. Then she jumps in her backer funded car and drives to the house they pay for to get ready for another hard week of reading this thread and verbally harassing her employees.

It is also amazing to me that the VP of marketing for a 100+ million dollar company is attempting to use that position to re-start an acting career. To the point that this seems to be what she spends the majority of her time on.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Full transcript:

Star Citizen: Development is always a moving target

Well I have to say I'm very surprised to hear this given Crobbert's long and rich history of gettin' poo poo done.

The fact that they're venting in an official customer-facing interview speaks volumes.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Those guys are amazing. So eager to shout about the randomly indicated (maybe) coming features, so eager to forget about any content that's been cut.

No kidding. The guy still keeps going on about it: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/45xmjt/star_citizen_can_we_keep_the_faith/d01x86n?context=3

It's just amazing.

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?
At what page do we start the race to 2000 post fest?

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

ohsosad posted:

At what page do we start the race to 2000 post fest?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

Tippis posted:

The :twoweeks: starts in two weeks.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Meanwhile, in a conference room overseas, a hastily-assembled gathering of already war-wounded CIG developers stare hollowly at their portly, manic leader.

'It has happened yet again', this they discern before he opens his mouth. Some new triviality, conceived in a fever-dream, born without gestation, will now be made an urgency of the highest-possible priority. This they knew the moment he reached for the red marker.

That bloody red marker!

The last time it was wielded so spastically, it demanded a procedural generation video, one which zoomed out from an extreme close up on the pupil of a soldier aside his ship, then out to reveal the subterranean hangar where he stood, then out higher to include the detailed of the planet Nyx's mining camp, then higher still to reveal the mountainous terrain of a PG planet, then higher still above clouds to finally end in space, the planet now dark ball eclipsing a distant star.

'Oh how fussy he was about that final image!', they remembered. Their leader never said it but of course they knew. It was a subtle dig at the Elite:Horizons logo, a little jab between frenemies to serve notice that "I'm coming for you, Braben. Anything you can do I can do better." Yet it was clear then as it was now there was a hint of fear powering this mania. Insecurity. A sense that without a cunning defense-- even an illusory one-- that he very well might lose customers to that frenemy.

Their leader now starts to spell out their new objective, meaningless couplets ('ultra-immersive', 'mega-fidelity') littering the whiteboard as he mumbles to himself in a frantic staccato.

In only a minute, their new task emerges from the buzzword jumble on the board.

'Arena Commander: Elite Combat' will become their sole priority. A standalone PC title, available for Steam, must be delivered in weeks. He hadn't said dates, or platforms-- yet they knew. They just knew.

Would that he trusted them, that would be enough. This would be a softer monkey wrench than many he's thrown at them. Yet he didn't, and it won't. And this they know before the catering carts start rolling in with enough food to last them 12 hours, though they've been there six already.

And then the session truly begins as he finally turns to address them.

"Let's talk about procedurally-generated hyper-explosions.... Oh-- and cockpit bobble-heads. With damage states. And PS4 friendly. And VR compatibility."

---

And somewhere, amidst the quadrophonic hum of groans and sighs, a smile, lit by the light of a phone held too close, breaks out on a lone developer's pasty face. Rockstar London is calling back. He will take the call, and no matter the offer, no matter the moving expense, he will take the job.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 16, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Thirsty Dog posted:

Jesus Christ you're a nutcase. I fear for Bootcha if you guys ever split up

Mmmmmmm. Delicious, delicious bunny.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

Meanwhile, in a conference room overseas, a hastily-assembled gathering of already war-wounded CIG developers stare hollowly at their portly, manic leader.

'It has happened yet again', this they discern before he opens his mouth. Some new triviality, conceived in a fever-dream, born without gestation, will now be made an urgency of the highest-possible priority. This they knew the moment he reached for the red marker.

That bloody red marker!

The last time it was wielded so spastically, it demanded a procedural generation video, one which zoomed out from an extreme close up on the pupil of a soldier aside his ship, then out to reveal the subterranean hangar where he stood, then out higher to include the detailed of the planet Nyx's mining camp, then higher still to reveal the mountainous terrain of a PG planet, then higher still above clouds to finally end in space, the planet now dark ball eclipsing a distant star.

'Oh how fussy he was about that final image!', they remembered. Their leader never said it but of course they knew. It was a subtle dig at the Elite:Horizons logo, a little jab between frenemies to serve notice that "I'm coming for you, Braben. Anything you can do I can do better." Yet it was clear then as it was now there was a hint of fear powering this mania. Insecurity. A sense that without a cunning defense-- even an illusory one-- that he very well might lose customers to that frenemy.

Their leader now starts to spell out their new objective, meaningless couplets ('ultra-immersive', 'mega-fidelity') littering the whiteboard as he mumbles to himself in a frantic staccato.

In only a minute, their new task emerges from the buzzword jumble on the board.

'Arena Commander: Elite Combat' will become their sole priority. A standalone PC title, available for Steam, must be delivered in weeks. He hadn't said dates, or platforms-- yet they knew. They just knew.

Would that he trusted them, that would be enough. This would be a softer monkey wrench than many he's thrown at them. Yet he didn't, and it won't. And this they know before the catering carts start rolling in with enough food to last them 12 hours, though they've been there six already.

And then the session truly begins as he finally turns to address them.

"Let's talk about procedurally-generated hyper-explosions.... Oh-- and cockpit bobble-heads. With damage states. And PS4 friendly. And VR compatibility."

---

And somewhere, amidst the quadrophonic hum of groans and sighs, a smile, lit by the light of a phone held too close, breaks out on a single pasty face. Rockstar London is calling back. He will take the call, and no matter the offer, no matter the moving expense, he will take the job.

I love fan fic :)

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Iglocska posted:

I just don't get it. Do people really not see that a major feature has simply been cut?

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/45xmjt/star_citizen_can_we_keep_the_faith/d00x0o5

This is what is amazing to me. They spent a lot of time a lot of effort and a lot of money coming up with clever ways to drip feed all this to the horde. All this time it was simply a case of a) You already have that feature or b) We told you months ago this was going to integrated/merged/split whatever. They could have saved us all from reverse the verse, around my arse,which glitch , 10 for the autist etc etc.

A curt post on the forum saying ' This feature is already there thread closed'

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Sperglord posted:

I expect CIG to exploit the sunk cost fallacy like a boss over the next year. Chris Roberts will probably return to his message of making Star Citizen succeed against the horde of doubters; he will use the backers need for meaning and purpose to keep them buying.

Also, did anyone notice the 50% sale on the buggy? I thought it was interesting as a foretaste of deep sales to come. CIG was probably testing the waters about selling JPEGs at a lower price... I expect this to continue, moving up through the lowest priced ships. This will drive some backers crazy, but the rest know that CIG needs tons of cash to finish, so they will be ok.
Wait, they SELL the buggy?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Ash1138 posted:

They sell skins for it too.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

AP posted:

Please tell me this isn't true. Also please tell me nobody has paid for it if it is true.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Ash1138 posted:

Yep! And in the unmeltable, you're stuck with it Voyager Direct store using "in-game" currency that can only currently be bought & not earned in any way, shape, or form in the PU.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

AP posted:

The Stimpire sells skins as well. And in the Stimpire, cut scenes have a different meaning.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

Please tell me this isn't true. Also please tell me nobody has paid for it if it is true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNBl-iJ6vD8&t=66s
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/voyager-direct/hangar

lite frisk
Oct 5, 2013
Wtf, is BBC doing native advertising now?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35555086

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

runsamok posted:

Yep! And in the unmeltable, you're stuck with it Voyager Direct store using "in-game" currency that can only currently be bought & not earned in any way, shape, or form in the PU.

Haha what the gently caress. Those guys could get rich by charging :10bux: per crash to desktop

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Scruffpuff posted:

30,000UEC or $30USD to have all the skins & you better believe people are going all pokemon & "gotta get 'em all" over them.

This is on top of the 15000UEC/$15 for the loving golf cart in the first place.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Have to get the cultists some credit, a vast majority of them loathe that abomination of an interface known as the holo-table.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

One has to appreciate that the tutorial was originally announced as a means to really put together what CIG needs to make S42 actually work, yet it's apparently beyond them to address at this point.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14703-Star-Citizen-Alpha-112-Released

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

runsamok posted:

30,000UEC or $30USD to have all the skins & you better believe people are going all pokemon & "gotta get 'em all" over them.

How the gently caress do they charge $15 for it :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

runsamok posted:

This makes me contemplate the nature of infinity. For example, I thought it was not possible for me to think less of CIG and its backers, but I was wrong. There is no bottom.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 16, 2016

• Locked thread