Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

What kind of box did that crazy rear end mech game come in that had a whole cockpit as a special controller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Star wars had a similar game feature ing the millennium falcon I'd I remember right.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Actually you know what, I'm pretty sure Rock Band takes the award.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

My Lovely Horse posted:

What kind of box did that crazy rear end mech game come in that had a whole cockpit as a special controller?

steel batallion

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Buttcoin purse posted:

That Jane's F-15 Officer's Edition up the top seems to be unreasonably large. I think somebody is compensating for something if you know what I mean.

Hahah yeah I bet the dude who made that box has a really small head or something hahah.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Take a look at your BluRay (or, if you're older, DVD or CD) collection and answer that question again.

The difference being that BDs have marked improvements in picture quality and sound, and are also 3D-capable if you have the kit. TPBs are just the comic rebound and with the adverts removed. There's no qualitative benefit, and on occasion it even makes them worse if the repagination gets hosed up. That's why the only comics I've bought as books when I still have the collected single issues are the first four Absolute Sandman volumes, where the art was cleaned up (and in the case of volume 1 recoloured).

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Jedit posted:

The difference being that BDs have marked improvements in picture quality and sound, and are also 3D-capable if you have the kit. TPBs are just the comic rebound and with the adverts removed. There's no qualitative benefit, and on occasion it even makes them worse if the repagination gets hosed up. That's why the only comics I've bought as books when I still have the collected single issues are the first four Absolute Sandman volumes, where the art was cleaned up (and in the case of volume 1 recoloured).

The sturdier bindings and (usually) improved paper quality actually do matter if you plan to read them (or, horror of horrors, loan them to a friend).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I agree, generally, but man I don't think I have a single TPB where the cover didn't break out of the binding at the very start or end within seconds of opening the drat thing.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Remember those antenna stickers from the days of flip phones? Apparently snake oil is never obsolete!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sentient Data posted:

Apparently snake oil is never obsolete!
Both in the sense of there always being a new sucker and in the sense that the individual stickers literally never become obsolete because they don't do anything in the first place and don't have to even be changed for new models of phones.

mystes has a new favorite as of 02:52 on Feb 16, 2016

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

mystes posted:

Both in the sense of there always being a new sucker and in the sense that the individual stickers literally never become obsolete because they don't do anything in the first place and don't have to even be changed for new models of phones.

No, they changed since they were first introduced. They doubled the size (so they're worth about $0.10 now rather than $0.05 just in raw materials) and quadrupled the price. I used to work for Radio Shack and sold the ones that went under the batteries of flip phones--they were only about :10bux: at the time.

You're right about there always being a new sucker, though.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Sentient Data posted:

Remember those antenna stickers from the days of flip phones? Apparently snake oil is never obsolete!

Since this is obviously bullshit, they're bound to get fines for false advertisement... Right?

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Depends on the language used in the ad (amongst other things).

If it says something like "may" or "might", then technically they're not lying because that implies a "might not" as well.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Strengthens the possibility for:" Seems weasely enough.

Framptonlive
Nov 22, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does anyone else remember the short time that walmart tried selling albums on microsd cards? They called it slotmusic and I remember falling for it once and buying a coldplay album.

I don't know if it's obsolete but it definitely failed hard.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Framptonlive posted:

Does anyone else remember the short time that walmart tried selling albums on microsd cards? They called it slotmusic and I remember falling for it once and buying a coldplay album.

I can see it being kind of good for someone who doesn't know how to rip from a CD and then copy files onto their phone, but has a phone with a microSD slot. But lol if such a person actually carried around a whole bunch of microSD cards and swapped them over when they wanted to listen to a different album.

How big is the card? I don't know what settings I used when I ripped that album, but the folder is 64MB so that seems like a size that an card could be if they ever made microSD cards that small.

Framptonlive
Nov 22, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wikipedia says they were 1 gb each. Seems kind of overkill to be honest. It also says a whopping 14 albums were ever released that way.

No DRM though, that's kind of cool.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Framptonlive posted:

Wikipedia says they were 1 gb each. Seems kind of overkill to be honest. It also says a whopping 14 albums were ever released that way.

No DRM though, that's kind of cool.

And you know some execs took advantage of the abysmal sales to point out that "DRM-free stuff doesn't sell! :argh:"

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

As FUTURE TECH as it would be to haul around dozens of pinkie finger-nail sized memory chips around containing my files it'd also be a complete pain in the rear end to keep track of which one was which and not lose the little bastards. No wonder they didn't sell.

Now, if my smartphone was actually some Shadowrun-ish wrist mounted deck dealie with a half dozen or more card slots I'd consider it more seriously.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Framptonlive posted:

You bought a Coldplay album: it is you who failed :smugmrgw:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Same token, at Walmart they used to have some pre-loaded theme MP3 players for a few years. I don't know if they could take external memory or hold more songs, but they were things like Elvis and the like.

edit: I think there were two varieties of these over the years: Ones that were dedicated players of a single set of songs that were about $20, and another that were more like lower-end, fuller-featured portable music players for probably a little above the price of a lower-end end MP3 player.

Something I know I've probably mentioned before, but I think Sam Goody's used to offer up a mix CD thing in store. They had about 3-6 kiosks set up where you could select songs and pay to have them burned onto a CD for you.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 09:19 on Feb 16, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Since it doesn't have DRM that's not a terrible idea since it skips the steps of putting the disk in my optical drive and manually ripping it, I can just throw the SD card into something and copy the files off.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Depends on the language used in the ad (amongst other things).

If it says something like "may" or "might", then technically they're not lying because that implies a "might not" as well.
Usually it's quantified by an "up to ... increase" which means that the increase in signal strength could be 0 without lying.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jerry Cotton posted:

You bought a Coldplay album: it is you who failed :smugmrgw:

I bought it too, back in the day. I am a failure :negative:

Elliotw2 posted:

Since it doesn't have DRM that's not a terrible idea since it skips the steps of putting the disk in my optical drive and manually ripping it, I can just throw the SD card into something and copy the files off.

The SD card contained MP3 files, encoded using some unknown encoder with unknown settings. Probably some shittastic version of Xing or BladeEnc or something similarly horrible.

No thank you, I'd much rather just buy the CD and rip it myself with the latest version of LAME.

Then again, it's just Coldplay, so who cares?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

I bought it too, back in the day. I am a failure :negative:

I won a Coldplay wall calendar in a quiz once and they wouldn't take it back :(

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I remember back when I worked at HMV, we got in this Beatles collector's edition USB thing.

Looks like it has a lot on there, and the music is in both MP3 and FLAC, was hella' expensive at the time though, still is I guess.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

And of course they couldn't resist releasing it as 24 bit FLAC, despite The Beatles never having any particularly notable dynamic range.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I remember SanDisk very briefly pimping a MicroSD card with some obscene number of songs on it (1,000?) but I think they were picked at random based on what was popular in a genre at the time? They were saying you'd pop the card in and it would start a playlist of like three days' worth of music, letting you skip any songs you didn't like. The genres were broad as hell, too--one of the cards was "Rock" and another was "Classical."

I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but it was back in the late 00s. Anyone remember this obviously successful and current technological development?

fake edit:

slotRadio http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-slotRadio-Rock-Card-Songs/dp/B002SP7WZ6

God, it was worse than I thought. You apparently couldn't navigate straight to a song you liked, you had to actually skip through the playlist (forward, couldn't go back) in full, one song at a time if you wanted to hear a song again.

Hey, it says these work with my Clip+ :c00l:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Same token, at Walmart they used to have some pre-loaded theme MP3 players for a few years. I don't know if they could take external memory or hold more songs, but they were things like Elvis and the like.

Tech that appeals to a younger crowd, but applied to music that appeals to an older crowd. Genius!

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

S-video is very obsolete but it was the best of the best for years.

So when I was a kid our VCR was hooked up with a coaxial cable. That was the only input the TV had, other than two screws to attach an antenna. All the signal, sound and all picture, came analog. When RCA came out it was a lot better, but S-video was the poo poo. 480i Dreamcast and PS2 on my 50 inch rear projection tv was just gorgeous. On top of that I could hook my computer up with it, long before TVs started having VGA inputs.

Eventually component replaced it with HDMI right after of course, but I still remember being astounded at how clear my picture was the first time I plugged in the S-video cable.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Eventually component replaced it with HDMI right after of course, but I still remember being astounded at how clear my picture was the first time I plugged in the S-video cable.

The Dreamcast was my first and only experience of S Video and when I first tried it after having the DC for like a year I felt like an idiot. I was fascinated with electronics and I/O when I was younger, always looked at that little round weird port wondering what the point of it was. *Pull out entire TV because it's impossible to do it any other way. Jams in huge loving SCART cable that would likely fallout within a week or so*

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pc-interfaces-101,1177-12.html

Speaking of SCART im pretty sure noone outside of Europe had to suffer with these bastard things. It wasnt so much the connecetor (okay it was) but you were guaranteed to have some 1.5cm thick cable hanging out the back that was near on impossible to maneuver into a decent location or even around other cables. gently caress SCART

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Astrobastard posted:

The Dreamcast was my first and only experience of S Video and when I first tried it after having the DC for like a year I felt like an idiot. I was fascinated with electronics and I/O when I was younger, always looked at that little round weird port wondering what the point of it was. *Pull out entire TV because it's impossible to do it any other way. Jams in huge loving SCART cable that would likely fallout within a week or so*

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pc-interfaces-101,1177-12.html

Speaking of SCART im pretty sure noone outside of Europe had to suffer with these bastard things. It wasnt so much the connecetor (okay it was) but you were guaranteed to have some 1.5cm thick cable hanging out the back that was near on impossible to maneuver into a decent location or even around other cables. gently caress SCART

I had never seen those cables until I moved to Europe and, goddamn, those things are atrocious.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SCART had a couble of benefits. It had bidirectional composite video and stereo sound, which was handy for VCRs, it could carry RGB video, which was even better than S-Video, it could be daisy-chained to connect multiple devices, and it had control pins for automatically switching your TV to the right input when you turned on your VCR/DVD.

The SCART spec even allowed for "fast switching", which could put subtitles or user interfaces directly on top of video, without having to decode and re-encode the entire signal.

Unfortunately it was also saddled with an absolutely horrible physical interface.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The connector may suck, but SCART cables are awesome since they let you have pure RGB from consoles which is miles ahead of composite or even S-Video

efb while looking for comparison pics

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Astrobastard posted:

Plus the weight of that cable was heavier than the effort needed to remove it - i.e. the bastard thing would always unplugs itself

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
And you would think that such a directional, large connector would be easy to plug in blind.

You'd be very, very wrong.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

And you would think that such a directional, large connector would be easy to plug in blind.

SCART predates the USB twist by 20-something years plus making you miss the alignment every time.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

TotalLossBrain posted:

Bill Bailey did a bit about this

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

spog posted:

Plus the weight of that cable was heavier than the effort needed to remove it - i.e. the bastard thing would always unplugs itself

Physical issues aside, SCART was very good. But I got sick of them unplugging themselves so I bought an expensive (as in not free with a device) SCART cable. It certainly felt high quality - it had gold contacts, the cable was thick yet flexible and the plugs were made of metal. That meant that they were really heavy.

So they fell out of the television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The entire cable fell out the TV? Lucky, my SCART cables always used to shear the connector off of the plastic sleeving :(