Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Paradox didn't develop SOTS, only published it. Not even remotely the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
If you have been paying attention to how CK2 and EUIV expansions have been at launch, you should be worrying if they're back to their old tricks.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sheep posted:

Paradox didn't develop SOTS, only published it. Not even remotely the same thing.

The previous post never said that Paradox developed SoTS 2. But they did not escape the SoTS 2 disaster entirely, since someone at the publisher must have given the OK to publish it.

That said, Paradox also published the Warlock - Master of the Arcane games, and those had good releases.

Also, there's a difference between Paradox Interactive and Paradox Development Studio.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

CK2 was the dawn of the golden age of functional releases for Paradox, after they shed the shame of Sword of the Stars 2. I'm sure Wiz won't accidentally unleash Skynet while he teaches the AI to taunt like a proper French twat.

Paradox Interactive and Paradox Development are held in personal union by Johan but they are not the same thing.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The Mantis posted:

wooooooaaaaaah holy poo poo the 2002 Soderbergh piece is a remake?? thats nuts.

crazy Poles.
The 2002 one is actually remake of a remake of a film of a book.

And it manages to be the shittest one by far, despite the first one being filmed for Soviet television. Quite an achievement that.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I can't wait to assign men with a tenuous grasp on reality as Moffs in my Galactic Empire, and watch them all turn on each other the moment my stability goes to poo poo.

Any chance Stellaris will come with a "not Star Destroyer" racial ship design by default?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Back To 99 posted:

If you have been paying attention to how CK2 and EUIV expansions have been at launch, you should be worrying if they're back to their old tricks.

Expansions are typically pretty buggy but still actually playable. Most of the time.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Torrannor posted:

Also, there's a difference between Paradox Interactive and Paradox Development Studio.

They didn't split until after SOTS 2 came out, as it happens.

But yeah, Paradox had picked up a reputation for terrible buggy releases purely on their own merits, SOTS had nothing to do with it.

Hell, some of those old games are still hosed.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

There are still blatant spelling/grammatical errors and bugged events in the Steam version of Ricky on the level of 'capitalists builds factroy' that they still haven't fixed to this very day. I like to think that they're keeping them in for old times' sake.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

PBJ posted:

I can't wait to assign men with a tenuous grasp on reality as Moffs in my Galactic Empire, and watch them all turn on each other the moment my stability goes to poo poo.

Any chance Stellaris will come with a "not Star Destroyer" racial ship design by default?

Oh my god I just realized I am genuinely super-excited for the total conversions that'll inevitably be made for Stellaris. There are so many possibilities, and a galaxy is a galaxy anyways, not like having to turn Europe into Westeros or something.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Black Griffon posted:

Oh my god I just realized I am genuinely super-excited for the total conversions that'll inevitably be made for Stellaris. There are so many possibilities, and a galaxy is a galaxy anyways, not like having to turn Europe into Westeros or something.

Personally, I can't wait to finally see a fitting engine with which to make a warhammer 40k 4x game.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

Give me a Dune universe TC or give me death. It'd be interesting just to see how modders would tackle the whole Spacing Guild, Bene Gesserit, and CHOAM mechanics.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE posted:

Give me a Dune universe TC or give me death. It'd be interesting just to see how modders would tackle the whole Spacing Guild, Bene Gesserit, and CHOAM mechanics.

I never thought I'd want something more than a Star Trek conversion.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE posted:

Luckily, the game seems to come packed with butlerian crusade mechanics from the get-go.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE posted:

This is all I've ever wanted. I've kind of wished that someone could do a TC with CK2 because the mechanics are right but the map is wrong. :sigh:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Scenarios set up to explicitly follow scifi settings will be neat but I'm a lot more interested in the patchwork opportunities in the base game to see how the United Confederation of Planets would handle not-Chaos demons or see how space Hitler manages the robot threat.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

zedprime posted:

Scenarios set up to explicitly follow scifi settings will be neat but I'm a lot more interested in the patchwork opportunities in the base game to see how the United Confederation of Planets would handle not-Chaos demons or see how space Hitler manages the robot threat.

Are you saying chaos demons are not one of the end game consequences of scientific research gone wrong, and will need to be modded in!?

Shame on you Paradox.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ZombieLenin posted:

Are you saying chaos demons are not one of the end game consequences of scientific research gone wrong, and will need to be modded in!?

Shame on you Paradox.
I really hope Paradox has reached out to all sorts of places to get permission to include events relating to popular SciFi IPs. I would love it if the Shivans from Free Space could show up and start nuking entire civilizations or whatever.

Hell now that I said that I hope that ends up being a mod, going on the likely assumption that it will not be in the base game. I bet it would be pretty easy to set up the "node" FTL method to model how Free Space FTL travel works...

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ZombieLenin posted:

Shame on you Paradox.
No, the opposite. I meant the base game patchworking the disparate scifi concepts into one place is more interesting than mods railroading the correct ones for a given scifi universe

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

I really hope Paradox has reached out to all sorts of places to get permission to include events relating to popular SciFi IPs. I would love it if the Shivans from Free Space could show up and start nuking entire civilizations or whatever.

Hell now that I said that I hope that ends up being a mod, going on the likely assumption that it will not be in the base game. I bet it would be pretty easy to set up the "node" FTL method to model how Free Space FTL travel works...

Considering what a trope it is in sci-fi games to have "ancient/far away but really powerful civilization returns/arrives out of nowhere to destroy the galaxy", I will be very surprised if that isn't included, but it's unlikely that Paradox would spend the money to making it be the Shivans from Freespace or the Reavers from Mass Effect or the Shakturi from Distant Worlds or the Yuuzhan Vong from Star Wars or Species 8472 from Star Trek or the Dread Lords from Galactic Civilizations or Space Aztecs from CK2. There would really be no reason for them to do that instead of just making up their own species or having them be procedurally generated like everything else.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

ZombieLenin posted:

Shame on you Paradox.

Actually one of the dev diaries a while back revealed that opening up a rift to another, eeeeevil dimension was a possible late game "Physics Crisis" you could trigger. Paradox got you covered, bruh.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

NewMars posted:

Luckily, the game seems to come packed with butlerian crusade mechanics from the get-go.

It's the Butlerian Jihad, young man!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

vyelkin posted:

Considering what a trope it is in sci-fi games to have "ancient/far away but really powerful civilization returns/arrives out of nowhere to destroy the galaxy", I will be very surprised if that isn't included, but it's unlikely that Paradox would spend the money to making it be the Shivans from Freespace or the Reavers from Mass Effect or the Shakturi from Distant Worlds or the Yuuzhan Vong from Star Wars or Species 8472 from Star Trek or the Dread Lords from Galactic Civilizations or Space Aztecs from CK2. There would really be no reason for them to do that instead of just making up their own species or having them be procedurally generated like everything else.
For sure. It is just fun to dream.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I'd love to see very rare but highly valuable resources spawned on only one planet in the map to create a Dune situation where a whole empire hinges on a single planet. Not every game, just once every two or three dozen games, like the rare natural wonders in Civ.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Mans posted:

you're pretty cute if you think a paradox game will be playable on release day :v:

Literally can't be worse than HoI3's release (for which I also took a day off, sadly).

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Drone posted:

Literally can't be worse than HoI3's release (for which I also took a day off, sadly).
If I remember right, the day of was something resembling playable but they quickly fixed that with a patch that made time advance so slowly that you couldn't play even if you wanted to.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

vyelkin posted:

I'd be up for Space Aztecs though, just for the upset posts on the POForums :getin:

Their arrival should involve wormholes and time travel.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

zedprime posted:

If I remember right, the day of was something resembling playable but they quickly fixed that with a patch that made time advance so slowly that you couldn't play even if you wanted to.

Vivid memories of people posting their average day lengths in-game in the then-current Paradox thread. I think the best anyone had was a six second day.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I joined a day one multi-player game, after about 15 hours we had reached early 1937, at which point the Sino - Japanese war brought the game to a screeching halt.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Yo paradox: give us a government option in stellaris to allow sector governors to build sector-defence armies/fleets (to autonomously hold off small incursions etc) that they can then use in revolts. Thanks in advance.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Oberleutnant posted:

Yo paradox: give us a government option in stellaris to allow sector governors to build sector-defence armies/fleets (to autonomously hold off small incursions etc) that they can then use in revolts. Thanks in advance.
That seems like it'd be approaching diluting the point of vassalizing or confederations.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Give me Space Rome or give me death.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Sheep posted:

Give me Rome 2 or give me death.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Sheep posted:

Give me Space Rome or give me death.

Most empires in sci-fi (or any fiction, dare say) are based on some interpretation of the Roman empire anyway, so Stellaris should be the game that allows us to make Painfully Accurate Space Rome.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
How about a kind of Space Athens which is constantly being crippled by Direct Space Democracy? Now that's the empire for me! Give me a council of a trillion voters who are never going to be able to be pleased and govern the empire by their passions and mob rule

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well to be fair a real space Athens would have more of a "direct democracy" where 99% of the population aren't actually eligible voters because they're slaves or foreigners or women.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Does absolute collectivism count as direct democracy or fascism?

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

zedprime posted:

Does absolute collectivism count as direct democracy or fascism?

Fascism I think, cause if you allow people to vote for expanded individual rights then you are no longer absolutely collectivist.

Absolute collectivism registers to me as The Hive from Alpha Centauri.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Riso posted:

It's the Butlerian Jihad, young man!

I guess I'll never be fit to be an immortal worm-emperor then. :(

My personal favorite sort of basic scenario that I want to play is the good old fashioned collapse of the Terran empire/the war of earthly aggression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
I want the Ur-Quan to show up and start slapping energy shields on everyone for mysterious purposes that soon become grimly clear.