Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inspector 34 posted:

Finally got around to watching Vikings. I'm about 7 episodes in and so far it's pretty drat good! The only gripe I have is that they tend to skip from major event to major event very quickly and months or maybe years have gone by without mention. It's probably the best way they could have done it I guess. After the first couple voyages I really don't need to see more boring time on the open water, or go through all the rehab when someone is recovering from an injury. It's cool to see some badass women in this show too.

Looking forward to binging through this series. I think the first 3 or 4 seasons are up on Amazon.

Bjorn needs to grow into Mega-Bjorn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Shadow posted:

I think Vikings is starting back up soon too!

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Just started season 2. Floki, nooooooo!!!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
^^ I envy you.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Daktari posted:

WOW, what are you saying? The 100 became good after two episodes? I canned it after two episodes. Off the block list at least

The 100 surprised me at the end of the third episode.

By the end of the fourth episode of the 100 it cemented a place as a really dark post-apocalyptic show. If you can watch the 4th episode of the 100 and then dismiss it as some CW teen show, then I don't know what to say. The 100 got really dark really fast.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 12, 2016

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Shadow posted:

Not to mention that even one murder in Charming would crush the delicate balance and bring forth the apocalypse.

But of course a few seasons later having 10-20 left dead after mass murder sprees were just another day in paradise.

How they didn't bring the National Guard in like season 3 or so was ludicrous. This isn't some inner city war zone, this show wiped out more white conservatives on regular then the recent heroic epidemic!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Inspector 34 posted:

Finally got around to watching Vikings. I'm about 7 episodes in and so far it's pretty drat good! The only gripe I have is that they tend to skip from major event to major event very quickly and months or maybe years have gone by without mention. It's probably the best way they could have done it I guess. After the first couple voyages I really don't need to see more boring time on the open water, or go through all the rehab when someone is recovering from an injury. It's cool to see some badass women in this show too.

Looking forward to binging through this series. I think the first 3 or 4 seasons are up on Amazon.

To be fair, if you don't have clocks or calendars or anything the flow of time would seem a little less structured I would think. Their whole society is like, dark ages.

Plus you have times where a big group is off raiding and they spend a long rear end time just running somewhere or rowing boats somewhere, while other characters are just kinda sitting around in the town waiting months for them to return, so you've gotta kinda skip around.

But yeah sometimes its hard to get a feel for how much time has passed.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

thrakkorzog posted:

By the end of the fourth episode of the 100 it cemented a place as a really dark post-apocalyptic show. If you can watch the 4th episode of the 100 and then dismiss it as some CW teen show, then I don't know what to say. The 100 got really dark really fast.

Agreed. That third episode was a game changer.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Kal Torak posted:

Agreed. That third episode was a game changer.

Yeah, totally. During the airing of S1 I bailed after 2 episodes, then picked it back up and I'm so glad gave it another shot. I don't think I've ever binged a show so quickly as the first two seasons.

And you ain't seen nothin' yet. Wait til you realize why we in The 100 thread refer to Clarke as Genghis Clarke :black101:

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

thrakkorzog posted:

I'm really glad I saw this post. I had watched three episodes of this show and was just about to give up on it. The 4th and 5th episodes are pretty amazing. I'm glad I stuck with it.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Zaphod42 posted:

To be fair, if you don't have clocks or calendars or anything the flow of time would seem a little less structured I would think. Their whole society is like, dark ages.

Plus you have times where a big group is off raiding and they spend a long rear end time just running somewhere or rowing boats somewhere, while other characters are just kinda sitting around in the town waiting months for them to return, so you've gotta kinda skip around.

But yeah sometimes its hard to get a feel for how much time has passed.

Yeah I get it, it's just a little jarring at times. Like for instance between the 2nd and 3rd episodes of season 2 there's a 4 year gap where presumably nothing important happened other than the birth of his new kid with his new wife . Is the time gap necessary? I guess people have been given time to work their machinations behind the scenes maybe and I'll find that stuff out later.

Is there a timeline available anywhere for this show? I'm wondering how much time has passed from the 1st episode to now. The kids aging has been a pretty good indication so far, but not super precise.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

thrakkorzog posted:

I'm still about 80% on The 100. I like how it sets up the post-apocalyptic angsty teen tropes just to stomp all over them, but I still find even the setup frustratingly familiar. In general I find my patience is declining for shows where the forward movement of the plot requires at least one of the characters to be a giant intransigent dumbfuck, and The 100 goes to that well a bit too often. Still fun, though.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I finished The Fall and its amazing. In the same tier as Broadchurch, Top of the Lake, The Killing, etc.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Killing is terrible though

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Counterpoint:

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

Counterpoint:

The Killing is still terrible. A few few gifs doesn't really change that.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not everything about the show is terrible was my point.

Certainly not the acting.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Finished Vikings season 2. I actually laughed out loud when King Horik asked forgiveness after attacking Ragnar's family (were his sons among those kids who were slaughtered? I don't remember getting a real good look at who they all were, but maybe I just looked away or something). Like, did Horik somehow forget what happened to the last guy who tried to gently caress with Ragnar's family?

Starting season 3 now and 10 minutes in I'm wondering if Bjorn has been spending far too much time with his dad. All the sudden mannerisms and cadence are like he's doing a really bad imitation of Ragnar, right down the the hair. I'm guessing this is intentional, and he's going to get in over his head trying to be too much like his dad without understanding that Ragnar was mostly forced into being badass and didn't really seek it out for it's own sake.

Just spotted Siggy as everybody was getting ready to ship out so I'm guessing either she never carried out Horik's order to kill Ragnar's kids, or she did and nobody knows it was her.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I really enjoy Vikings except for Ragnar. He's such an annoying piece of poo poo most of the time. I am at the end of the second season and really hoping that he horribly dies soon to get replaced by his son, who hopefully isn't such a dumb oval office as his dad.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been watching Continuum - I'm only on the first season but it's pretty good.

Rachel Nichols is really pretty. :blush:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I discovered today that The Expanse is over for this season (after 10 episodes). I had no idea I had already seen the season finale.

It's not available to binge yet but I'd compare it to Game of Thrones in that the viewer is thrown into the deep end of the world of the show without much explanation. That explanation is filled out over the next couple of episodes though. And like GoT, you end the first season with a better understanding of who everyone is and the motivations of the major players but all the plot momentum didn't pick up until at least midway through the season.

It's an excellent show but you've got to give it at least five episodes before things start to really pick up. Oh and turn on subtitles. I had a hell of a time understanding what some people were saying. Part of that is in-universe and part of it is just terrible mixing.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
The dude that plays Amos is loving amazing. Any scene he is in, make sure to watch his facial expressions.

Also the 'twist' at the end of the season (even if it was teased pretty hard for the last few episodes) really has me wanting the next season now.

Might be because I haven't read the books so I have no concrete idea of where it's going.

Oh, and the lady who plays Avasarala does an incredible job as well. Not to be confused with Avasarala the character, who is a mega-bitch who I want to die every time she's on screen.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've been watching Continuum - I'm only on the first season but it's pretty good.

Rachel Nichols is really pretty. :blush:

It gets even better and yeah Kiera is both very pretty and a total badass. The season 3 finale is aces and from what I hear the whole thing gets wrapped up pretty well in the last season which I haven't watched yet. Waiting for that perfect time to binge it all at once.

For other Pretty Good time travel shenanigans, 12 Monkeys is worthwhile. I liked it alright for the first few episodes, but once I got to episode 5 (The Night Room) it became a must watch show for me. Plus it has Kirk Acevedo who is always good. Season 2 starts sometime in April I think.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

The Killing is terrible though

thrakkorzog posted:

The Killing is still terrible. A few few gifs doesn't really change that.

How?

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Thwomp posted:

I discovered today that The Expanse is over for this season (after 10 episodes). I had no idea I had already seen the season finale.

It's not available to binge yet but I'd compare it to Game of Thrones in that the viewer is thrown into the deep end of the world of the show without much explanation. That explanation is filled out over the next couple of episodes though. And like GoT, you end the first season with a better understanding of who everyone is and the motivations of the major players but all the plot momentum didn't pick up until at least midway through the season.

It's an excellent show but you've got to give it at least five episodes before things start to really pick up. Oh and turn on subtitles. I had a hell of a time understanding what some people were saying. Part of that is in-universe and part of it is just terrible mixing.

"Hundreds of years in the future, things are different than what we are used to after humans have colonized the solar system and Mars has become an independent military power. Rising tensions between Earth and Mars have put them on the brink of war. Against this backdrop, a hardened detective and a rogue ship's captain come together to investigate the case of a missing young woman. The investigation leads them on a race across the solar system that could expose the greatest conspiracy in human history."

Hmmm..... so it's good? Is it hokey? Like... is it of the quality of AMC/FX and Premium channel shows? Syfy makes me nervous that it could get campy and lame.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
I've watched about 7 or 8 episodes of the 100 and it still seems like a show for young adults, despite any surprising deaths.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Shadow posted:

"Hundreds of years in the future, things are different than what we are used to after humans have colonized the solar system and Mars has become an independent military power. Rising tensions between Earth and Mars have put them on the brink of war. Against this backdrop, a hardened detective and a rogue ship's captain come together to investigate the case of a missing young woman. The investigation leads them on a race across the solar system that could expose the greatest conspiracy in human history."

Hmmm..... so it's good? Is it hokey? Like... is it of the quality of AMC/FX and Premium channel shows? Syfy makes me nervous that it could get campy and lame.

It's good. Real good. However, feeling lost and adrift in all the unknown pre-existing tensions is to be expected for the first few episodes.

My only real critique is that the show feels incomplete as the main plot doesn't really get going until episode 5 or 6. You're left wanting more but you want more because the season suddenly ended and only just felt like it finally was going somewhere.

That criticism will fade after a full second season (much as it did for Game of Thrones which I had a similar feeling towards).

Syfy is betting big on The Expanse returning it to where it was with BSG. The production values are great as are the performances.

Here's a better plot synopsis: Humans, even hundreds of years in the future, are still dicks to each other. Earth has long been united under the UN but the people who colonized Mars no longer see themselves as the same humans as those on Earth. Both worlds depend on the resources of the [asteroid] belt and the outer worlds. Each view the other's moves there with suspicion. Meanwhile, the humans who work out in the Belt find themselves growing (literally) distinct from both Mars and Earth and the Outer Planets Alliance (OPA) aims to foment a revolution. Against all this, an ice hauler and her crew discover a distress call while a hard scrabble detective gets hired for a discreet job.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
I'm so late on the party but The Good Wife is really great. I've made it to a few episodes shy of the end of the second season and I don't see that slowing down. So far my favorite characters are Cary and Kalinda, and Juliana Margulies is like a fine wine yadda yadda yadda.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Thwomp posted:

It's good. Real good. However, feeling lost and adrift in all the unknown pre-existing tensions is to be expected for the first few episodes.

My only real critique is that the show feels incomplete as the main plot doesn't really get going until episode 5 or 6. You're left wanting more but you want more because the season suddenly ended and only just felt like it finally was going somewhere.

That criticism will fade after a full second season (much as it did for Game of Thrones which I had a similar feeling towards).

Syfy is betting big on The Expanse returning it to where it was with BSG. The production values are great as are the performances.

Here's a better plot synopsis: Humans, even hundreds of years in the future, are still dicks to each other. Earth has long been united under the UN but the people who colonized Mars no longer see themselves as the same humans as those on Earth. Both worlds depend on the resources of the [asteroid] belt and the outer worlds. Each view the other's moves there with suspicion. Meanwhile, the humans who work out in the Belt find themselves growing (literally) distinct from both Mars and Earth and the Outer Planets Alliance (OPA) aims to foment a revolution. Against all this, an ice hauler and her crew discover a distress call while a hard scrabble detective gets hired for a discreet job.

Do they get into terraforming and poo poo for how Mars was colonized? Are the Mars folks kinda like the American Colonists who felt they weren't represented by the "Home" planet government?

Maybe I should just watch a few episodes huh? :v:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I found the Lucifer thread yesterday and watched the first 3 episodes. Show has promise.

Lucifer gets tired of being lord of Hell and retires/takes a vacation to run a club in LA. Then he gets tangled up with a detective that fascinates him and ends up helping her solve crimes.

So yeah, it's basically a supernatural Castle but the approach the show takes is pretty refreshing. Lucifer doesn't try to hide that he's immortal, he'll cheerfully stnd there smirking at dudes while they fill him full of lead, and uses his other devilish powers openly. Dude simply does not give a gently caress.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Shadow posted:

Do they get into terraforming and poo poo for how Mars was colonized? Are the Mars folks kinda like the American Colonists who felt they weren't represented by the "Home" planet government?

Maybe I should just watch a few episodes huh? :v:

At least as a warning, you won't really discover how humanity moved beyond Earth. Nor really how Mars got it start.

And the only Martians you'll encounter are members of the military. It's implied that (and this really isn't a spoiler) Martian society is a fascist state with the entire populace is working on terraforming the planet. But again, you only meet Martian military so the view could be biased.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
The Expanse is really good and it doesn't come across as a bad Syfy show at all. I watched the miniseries, then binged the books. They're at about book 5, and pumping out 1 a year. I'm looking forward to the show even more, now that I have. If the show can just loving not get cancelled and stay on the air, yes, it will develop into very cool things that are promised by the initial premise, though yeah, the show moves nice and slowly.

Here are some very minor book spoilers if you're on the fence, that give a good idea of some of the nice world elaboration that goes on. Some of these are from basically the first episode, or are really just hinted at. They're extremely minor. I.e. if you want to stay 100% fresh avoid them I guess, but here are some nice tidbits. I'll spoiler 'em individually, so if you hate the first one, just don't read the rest.

* "Belters," i.e. people who live and work in the asteroid belt, have exaggerated mannerisms for basic things. Our "head nod" is more a raised fist. Our shrug is a much more exaggerated version a shrug, raised hands and all. Basically, all stuff that would translate when you're wearing a heavy space suit. Relative to the books, the show focuses more on the belter dialect differences in belter English, via Miller's partner from Earth trying to fit in when working on Ceres station with belters.

* The end of the first season is maybe the 2/3s point in the first book, though certainly it's a decent place to end a season. It does make me wonder if season 2 will just end where the first book does, or go further. (In a way, it already has, by virtue of introducing characters from the second book here and there).

* People born and raised in low gravity basically don't do well on Earth anymore (without steroids or something). That part is in the first episode, but conversely, people on Earth are weirded out by how belters can deal with really small tight spaces all the time.

* One of the best characters in the books probably won't be introduced until the second or third season.

* The backgrounds on characters like Amos, Naomi, etc., don't get explicitly explored until much later, but you can tell the backgrounds were there from the beginning.

* In the later books, some hoops do get jumped through to keep certain characters in focus and at the centre of important events.

* Yes, the things hinted at by the opening are explored much more fully. They become part of the plot, but the tension between humans -- Earth, Mars, the OPA -- never goes away.

Shadow posted:

Answering would be a spoiler, but yeah, watch the show.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

I said It before, but The Killing is like the first half hour of a Law and Order episode. You know when Briscoe and his partner go around talking to suspects, then rule them out after about 5 minutes, only dragged for two seasons. So what would have been 5 minutes on an episode of L&O got dragged out for an hour, only to end the same way as on L&O, the suspect had an airtight alibi, couldn't have done it, that was just a big red herring.

On L&O those digressions were usually short enough that I didn't mind. But on The Killing, every episode was about those digressions, plus a bunch of plots disconnected from the main plot that never went anywhere.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

thrakkorzog posted:

I said It before, but The Killing is like the first half hour of a Law and Order episode. You know when Briscoe and his partner go around talking to suspects, then rule them out after about 5 minutes, only dragged for two seasons. So what would have been 5 minutes on an episode of L&O got dragged out for an hour, only to end the same way as on L&O, the suspect had an airtight alibi, couldn't have done it, that was just a big red herring.

On L&O those digressions were usually short enough that I didn't mind. But on The Killing, every episode was about those digressions, plus a bunch of plots disconnected from the main plot that never went anywhere.

First of all, if you jumped ship after season 2, I'd recommend giving season 3 a watch. Best of the series for sure.

Its been a few years since I watched seasons 1+2, but I don't remember minding the digressions. They mostly seemed relevant, and the acting and general atmosphere of the show were both effective enough so that they didn't really feel like a chore to watch. Plus, they're sort of what you get when you sign on for a show that tackles one case per season (or per two, as in the case of season 1+2). I'm not sure a comparison with a show like L&O that shifts focus every week (or something like that, right? I never watched it) is helpful in this case.

Its not perfect. I remember it being a little kitschy at times, especially those montages overlaid with dramatic music at the end of each episode. I also wouldn't rate it as highly as some of the top drawer detective dramas I've watched since then (Broadchurch, Top of the Lake, The Fall). Can't say I was a huge fan of season 4 either. Maybe in retrospect I wouldn't include it in that group, but its certainly not terrible. Moody atmosphere, good acting, serviceable plot...definitely not terrible.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Asked a week ago for advice, but haven't been able to get the series I wanted from those yet (Terriers).
Instead, watched the first three episodes of Fargo. We're really digging it so far! Very funny, very dark.
I hope it keeps the momentum going?

Also tried The 100. Meaning, I've tried to watch the first episode 3 times. I don't think I will give this the benefit of the doubt for "just wait till episode x".
For my solo watching, I will probably take the Expanse instead.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Watch the last 10 mins and it's gravy....the teeny train is a red herring. it goes loving pear shaped real quick after episode 1.

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

Just finished binging the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. I wish I'd gotten to it sooner because it was hilarious from start to finish. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard and at such length at a show as when Titus fucks up his interview in ep. 12. That whole sequence was glorious.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Rocksicles posted:

Watch the last 10 mins and it's gravy....the teeny train is a red herring. it goes loving pear shaped real quick after episode 1.

I presume you mean the guy getting speared, followed by the (insightful) comment we're not alone!.
I'll give it another go this weekend and report back. You better deliver, Rocksicles! :)

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
You were right about Expanse taking a few episodes. I saw the first one and I liked it, but I'm not hooked yet. I'll continue it though. Premise does seem interesting. Just a lot of "intro" to get used to since they're dropping you into the middle of the universe without a map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Shadow posted:

You were right about Expanse taking a few episodes. I saw the first one and I liked it, but I'm not hooked yet. I'll continue it though. Premise does seem interesting. Just a lot of "intro" to get used to since they're dropping you into the middle of the universe without a map.

Maybe it's because I'm a big fan of the books, but the show adaptation feels slow and shoddy in comparison. The show doesn't explain the world particularly well, and the entire first season is like half of the first book, which seemed like a big mistake to me pacing-wise. I really don't consider myself a book purist on most things (like I'm totally fine with how they've adapted Game of Thrones).

But people seem to love the show so who knows.