Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
It's kind of a shame Criterion didn't or couldn't licence the video to Forbidden Colors. It is a really good song, abs the way they cut between the video and the movie clips was innovative. Basically, the singer would pose the same way as someone in the movie, and they'd cross fade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Just watched the first film in my blind buy of the Apu trilogy, Pather Panchali. Really enjoyed it, and after learning about how the original print was almost totally destroyed Criterion did an incredible job restoring it from multiple sources. Can't wait to watch Aparajito.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Colonel Whitey posted:

Just watched the first film in my blind buy of the Apu trilogy, Pather Panchali. Really enjoyed it, and after learning about how the original print was almost totally destroyed Criterion did an incredible job restoring it from multiple sources. Can't wait to watch Aparajito.

Is there another film or series you might be able to compare it to? I'd love to get into Ray but the Apu Trilogy isn't on Hulu and I'm hesitant to spent that kind of money on a blind-buy. I feel like it would be weird to watch Ray's other stuff without seeing the Apu trilogy, but feel free to correct me on that one.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Is there another film or series you might be able to compare it to? I'd love to get into Ray but the Apu Trilogy isn't on Hulu and I'm hesitant to spent that kind of money on a blind-buy. I feel like it would be weird to watch Ray's other stuff without seeing the Apu trilogy, but feel free to correct me on that one.

I can't remember which way the influence flows but it's very similar to Italian Neorealism (think The Bicycle Thieves specifically)

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah what Boogeyman said. It's the only Ray film I've seen so I can't compare it to his others or give you suggestions. If you enjoy extremely rich and humanistic slice of life type films you will like it. It's a bit slow compared to something like Bicycle Thieves though.

E: I feel like "slow" is too pejorative, it's more that it's contemplative and there isn't much "plot" to speak of. Equally compelling, but in a slightly different way.

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 3, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've seen Bicycle Thieves but its the only Italian neorealist film I've watched. I need to get into Rossellini, I've had Paisan and Rome Open City in my Hulu queue for a while now. Guess I'll hold off on Ray until I do that.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Rossellini is great. His war trilogy is amazing, but I think his stuff with Ingrid Bergman is just as good albeit with different goals.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Yeah, if you enjoyed Bicycle Thieves you'd love the Apu films, especially with the new transfer.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Basebf555 posted:

The first one I saw was The Music Room and I was blown away by it. The Apu Trilogy is incredible and moved me utterly, but you could start with The Music Room and be just fine. And it's available on its own.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The Music Room, Charulata, and The Big City are all unmissable masterpieces.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ClydeUmney posted:

The first one I saw was The Music Room and I was blown away by it. The Apu Trilogy is incredible and moved me utterly, but you could start with The Music Room and be just fine. And it's available on its own.

Awesome, The Music Room is streaming on Hulu. A few others too, including The Big City.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I also started with The Music Room, followed by Charulata and loved them both for different reasons. The Apu Trilogy came after that (lucky enough to catch it on the big screen on a Sunday afternoon/evening) and I had no problem watching any film.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
A Touch of Zen is coming

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

A Touch of Zen is coming

Where'd you hear this?

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Parallax posted:

Where'd you hear this?

My fault—I should have sourced this. Janus has the US rights for the L'Immagine Ritrovata 4K restoration, which opens at Film Forum in NYC in April, and given past history I'd be astonished if it doesn't get a Criterion release.

I'd like to see Dragon Inn too (and Janus has the rights) but it's hardly as certain.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

i should note that Dragon Inn had a 4K restoration a year before A Touch of Zen, but maybe they think A Touch of Zen is the better one to lead with?

I imagine more A Touch of Zen playdates in other cities will be announced soon—not as ambitious or comprehensive as the Apu Trilogy, but along the same lines.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

I'd like to see Dragon Inn too (and Janus has the rights) but it's hardly as certain.

If this happens I'm never going to stop screaming until it's in my mailbox. Between this and the possibility of non-lovely Lone Wolf and Cub discs I won't recover if neither turns out to happen.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

RichterIX posted:

If this happens I'm never going to stop screaming until it's in my mailbox. Between this and the possibility of non-lovely Lone Wolf and Cub discs I won't recover if neither turns out to happen.

The animeigo Lone Wolf DVD releases weren't bad, in fact at the time they came out they were a significant step forward from anything released previously. Apparently the bluray sucked though.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

zandert33 posted:

The animeigo Lone Wolf DVD releases weren't bad, in fact at the time they came out they were a significant step forward from anything released previously. Apparently the bluray sucked though.

Yeah, the blu-ray Lone Wolf boxset was a turd, although if you were unfortunate enough to buy it you can sell it for a fair amount of money now as it's OOP.

What makes the quality of animeigo's Lone Wolf blu-ray extra annoying is the fact that their blu-ray of Shogun Assassin is totally serviceable.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's worthy of note that Japanese licensors are absolutely pants-shittingly terrified of Japanese customers importing stuff from the US, and that Toho in particular has a history of absurd fuckery to prevent this. It's possible, and even likely, that Toho would only consent to them using lovely versions for the BR box.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

LORD OF BUTT posted:

It's worthy of note that Japanese licensors are absolutely pants-shittingly terrified of Japanese customers importing stuff from the US, and that Toho in particular has a history of absurd fuckery to prevent this. It's possible, and even likely, that Toho would only consent to them using lovely versions for the BR box.

This sounds about right, but Criterion getting Godzilla '54 is somewhat heartening I guess. Unless Criterion got license to release that from some other rights-holder because of the existence of the US version or something?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Wim Wenders: The Road Trilogy
The Player
The Naked Island
In a Lonely Place
Easy Rider [standalone re-release]

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 16, 2016

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Mother gently caress Yes.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

they keep releasing wim wenders movies but not until the end of the world lol/smh

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Slate Action posted:

In a Lonely Place

YEESSSSSSSSS

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think I'll pick up The Player. It's probably my favorite Altman.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Radio Spiricom posted:

they keep releasing wim wenders movies but not until the end of the world lol/smh
That would be cool but I'm glad to see Im Lauf der Zeit (1976) finally getting a NA release.

Is this going to be the first (literal) pooping in HD in the Criterion Collection?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Crossing my fingers for a Short Cuts rerelease.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
That is a good looking slate of releases. I love The Player and In a Lonely Place and really want to dive into more Wenders (I've only seen Paris, Texas and I've seen it twice).

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
The Naked Island is excellent, highly recommended for those Japanese art house heads.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Radio Spiricom posted:

I'm almost positive the Wenders Foundation said last year that Criterion would be releasing it at some point in the near future.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Slate Action posted:

In a Lonely Place

Two Worlds posted:

YEESSSSSSSSS

My thoughts exactly. I can't wait to pick this one up. That July B&N sale is starting to look expensive between this, Inside Llewyn Davis, The Kid, The Graduate, A Brighter Summer Day, and Speedy - along with many others if I can afford it.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

friendo55 posted:

My thoughts exactly. I can't wait to pick this one up. That July B&N sale is starting to look expensive between this, Inside Llewyn Davis, The Kid, The Graduate, A Brighter Summer Day, and Speedy - along with many others if I can afford it.

Do the flash sales or B&N sales also do pre-orders? I'm looking at definitely picking up Heaven's Gate and The Graduate, and probably the Robert Drew set as well.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Pre-orders are never included in Criterion sales.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Slate Action posted:

Pretty sure I pre-ordered Inside Llewyn Davis for sale price in December

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Slate Action posted:

I got The Kid during the sale in December.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Pretty sure I pre-ordered Inside Llewyn Davis for sale price in December

bobkatt013 posted:

I got The Kid during the sale in December.

Were these for the full 50% off? Because that would constitute a change in policy.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Wasn't the December sale this year by B&N and not Criterion? I think B&N honors sales for out of stock and pre-orders, while the main site does not.*

*Or it didn't during the summer sale last year.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MacheteZombie posted:

Wasn't the December sale this year by B&N and not Criterion? I think B&N honors sales for out of stock and pre-orders, while the main site does not.*

*Or it didn't during the summer sale last year.

It was the main site and it might have been like 10 dollars off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Crtierion.com offers seemingly every title for a 'base discount' of 20% off at all times. This includes preorders.

During Criterion.com flash sales, all released titles go up to 50% off but preorders stay at 20% off. I thought this was the way it worked during the B&N sales as well, but I could be wrong.