Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Some early events that give a human (or alien I suppose) empire free colony ships in the early game with a random culture that reflects Earth cultures would be cool. The African Union colony ship should of course always be the default starting option to piss off the white supremacists, but stuff like the sponsors from Civ: Beyond Earth would be fun too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I imagine a sort of scattered-humanity scenario would be pretty easy to implement as well. No aliens at start, but pockets of humanity with radically different ethea (just looked that up on wiktionary, heh) and regular starting tech. Around mid to lategame, you'd probably see enslaved/vasallized aliens carve out a piece of the galaxy, near the endgame you might see som very interesting alien demographics in different parts of the galaxy based on the xenophobia/xenophilia etc. of the various human civs.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

I imagine a sort of scattered-humanity scenario would be pretty easy to implement as well. No aliens at start, but pockets of humanity with radically different ethea (just looked that up on wiktionary, heh) and regular starting tech. Around mid to lategame, you'd probably see enslaved/vasallized aliens carve out a piece of the galaxy, near the endgame you might see som very interesting alien demographics in different parts of the galaxy based on the xenophobia/xenophilia etc. of the various human civs.

Definitely. I had some ideas early on when Stellaris was announced around temporary one-way wormholes you can stuff colony ships into that would spawn empires of your culture in random parts of the galaxy that you would eventually find and be able to have good relations with.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

This is all I've ever wanted. I've kind of wished that someone could do a TC with CK2 because the mechanics are right but the map is wrong. :sigh:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Black Griffon posted:

This makes me want a Battletech mod/scenario.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

popewiles posted:

Fascism I think, cause if you allow people to vote for expanded individual rights then you are no longer absolutely collectivist.

Absolute collectivism registers to me as The Hive from Alpha Centauri.
If you are part of the collective its against your best interest to vote for expanded individual rights. Anyone who does would conveniently be outside of the collective.

Like for example would space ants be under a fascist ant queen, or is it closer to absolute democracy where pheromones are the votes? For an existing example there's the Mass Effect geth, who are a collective via a hive mind operated by direct democracy of intelligent computer processes.

Demiurge4 posted:

Definitely. I had some ideas early on when Stellaris was announced around temporary one-way wormholes you can stuff colony ships into that would spawn empires of your culture in random parts of the galaxy that you would eventually find and be able to have good relations with.
I hope they have some situations in place for laissez faire space settling for situations like in Star Trek where they find human colonies that slipped through the administrative cracks.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 16, 2016

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Demiurge4 posted:

Some early events that give a human (or alien I suppose) empire free colony ships in the early game with a random culture that reflects Earth cultures would be cool. The African Union colony ship should of course always be the default starting option to piss off the white supremacists, but stuff like the sponsors from Civ: Beyond Earth would be fun too.

Hows Civ:BE looking these days? Still suck?

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
On the 'ancient threat' bandwagon, isn't the Fallen Empires thing covering that? I like the idea of the Shadows or the Vorlons showing up with planet killers or getting all the younger races to go to war with each other.

That said Administrative Sectors sound like I will be in control of an Empire, not a list of planets which I am very excited for. :rms:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

zedprime posted:

Like for example would space ants be under a fascist ant queen, or is it closer to absolute democracy where pheromones are the votes? For an existing example there's the Mass Effect geth, who are a collective via a hive mind operated by direct democracy of intelligent computer processes.

A better example would actually be bees who do have direct democratic elections when looking for a new hive. Competent bees are sent out to scout for a new hive location and then report back when they find a nice spot, they describe the location through dance and then the rest of the hive mingles with the bee that has the location they like the most. The biggest swarm wins and all the bees go to that new hive. :eng101:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Anyone who wants Greco-Roman influences in Stellaris should just give up. I've worked hard to kill every notion of Rome being great in our company. The only true empire is the one of Cyrus and his successors.

The Romans are just glorified slave dealers.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Black Griffon posted:

Most empires in sci-fi (or any fiction, dare say) are based on some interpretation of the Roman empire anyway, so Stellaris should be the game that allows us to make Painfully Accurate Space Rome.

I was more referring to the comment about governors being able to raise their own armies (who then proclaim them emperor). Give me my wacky civil war hijinks please!

But yeah here's to hoping Paradox pull this off and give me the space 4x I've been pining for since 1993.

Groogy posted:

The only true empire is the one of Cyrus and his successors.

:argh:

Sheep fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 17, 2016

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Groogy posted:

Anyone who wants Greco-Roman influences in Stellaris should just give up. I've worked hard to kill every notion of Rome being great in our company. The only true empire is the one of Cyrus and his successors.

Groogy delenda est.

(You must not get along with Wiz's team on Rome II!)

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Fintilgin posted:

(You must not get along with Wiz's team on Rome II!)

Remember how the Allies had Patton - one of their most talented Generals - ordering around a bunch of phantom troops under code name 'Operation Bodyguard' as a cover for what they were really doing in the lead up to Operation Overlord?

That's what Wiz is doing right now. The reveal party will just be a bunch of cameras pointed at the crowd to capture their look of disappointment so they can laugh at them.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
All legitimate empires are in China. Stellaris should restore the Han.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Groogy posted:

And yet we barely have Zoroastrian events on EU4 and even CK2.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Groogy posted:

You'd better not just be yanking us around. I'm holding you personally accountable if I can't play as Space Persia.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

You'd better not just be yanking us around. I'm holding you personally accountable if I can't play as Space Persia.

What would that be? No slaves, ruled exclusively by dynasties of foreign origin, harems so big a religion forms around the fact that the average man can't get laid because all the women are locked up?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Groogy posted:

I would be so super down with Space Persia.

I do hope we get Rome 2 at some point. Although, I'd be down for a pre-Rome game too.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Groogy posted:

All I'm saying is, if I can't play as like the 56th Dynasty of the New New Kingdom, preorder cancelled.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Slightly random thought from the adjective adjective naming style, I hope there's a small chance for some sort of ethics set to cause an AI empire name to be "Rev. Rev. Rev. Rev. Rev. Rev. [species]"

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Play as the aliens that built the pyramids...

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Play as the aliens that built the pyramids...

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I wouldn't put it past the Centauri to have built a bunch of poo poo on Earth, just so they could claim the planet is theirs. Hell, their first reaction when we met was "Oh poo poo you look just like us, you're a famous lost colony!" to try and trick us into the empire :haw:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Schizotek posted:

What would that be? No slaves, ruled exclusively by dynasties of foreign origin, harems so big a religion forms around the fact that the average man can't get laid because all the women are locked up?

Why do people think that the Persian Empire didn't have slavery? because it's not really based in much fact (do people think the women, boys and eunuchs in the harem were volunteers?). There weren't many slaves in Persia (that is Western Iran) itself because that was more of an aristocracy-ruling-peasants type of place than a greatly urbaninzed region at this time, however slavery had a long tradition in Mesopotamia (the heart of the empire), Egypt, the Levant and Anatolia, and in all cases was allowed to carry on as it always had in those regions. The Achaemenids are also noted to have enslaved large numbers of people as punishment for rebellion.

The later Sassanid Empire had laws regarding slavery that are very much like the later Islamic laws for slaves, that is slaves who converted to Zoroastrianism could buy their freedom, and some laws regarding the general treatment of slaves are also pretty similar.

But there never really was a large scale aversion to slavery as an institution, if anything ancient Persia is more like Medieval Europe in where you had a large population of unfree agrarian subjects ruled over by the aristocracy, but very few atual slaves.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I look forward to the Stellaris expansion where sectors can start building their own fleets as a step towards their own independence.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I look forward to the Stellaris expansion where sectors can start building their own fleets as a step towards their own independence.

The natural evolution;

1. Piracy.
2. Systems police.
3. ???
4. Sector navies.

Barbary pirates in space! I hope an expansion fleshes out piracy so it's not just a simple province modifier.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

The natural evolution;

1. Piracy.
2. Systems police.
3. ???
4. Sector navies.

Barbary pirates in space! I hope an expansion fleshes out piracy so it's not just a simple province modifier.

I think 3 is a mix of a sector becoming home to a faction as well as any possible leadership trait mechanics they give governors. Maybe if they have a military trait they will ask to permission to build a sector fleet in exchange for better sector taxes?

Pirate fleets are one of those things that are tough to implement- similar to rebels in Vicky or HoI- they're usually no match for the actual navy, so it ends up being micro-managing whack-a-mole after a while. However, I tend to think they're really valuable early on, like Barbarians in Civ, as a way reason to actually build a military (and something to benchmark your military against).

If they're stealing mechanics from other PDX games, I suspect what they need to do is look at some of the naval warfare mechanics they're considering for HoI-4. Basically the challenge should be more about finding a single pirate ship in the vastness of space, instead of immediately rushing your fleet token to a system and being right there to get the pirate.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Groogy posted:

While I agree that Cyrus's empire was great, I think this is a little narrow minded. The Empire of Serbia, founded in 1346 by Stefan Dušan The Mighty, ranks above the Persian Empire in most chronologic, military, economic, and social metrics that you can find.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I think 3 is a mix of a sector becoming home to a faction as well as any possible leadership trait mechanics they give governors. Maybe if they have a military trait they will ask to permission to build a sector fleet in exchange for better sector taxes?

Pirate fleets are one of those things that are tough to implement- similar to rebels in Vicky or HoI- they're usually no match for the actual navy, so it ends up being micro-managing whack-a-mole after a while. However, I tend to think they're really valuable early on, like Barbarians in Civ, as a way reason to actually build a military (and something to benchmark your military against).

If they're stealing mechanics from other PDX games, I suspect what they need to do is look at some of the naval warfare mechanics they're considering for HoI-4. Basically the challenge should be more about finding a single pirate ship in the vastness of space, instead of immediately rushing your fleet token to a system and being right there to get the pirate.

Have pirates exist as a private entity with hidden holdings in various systems based on their security. Pirates are obviously more common in frontier systems but they may have backing from corporations who see them as a good way to hurt their rivals and a tertiary source of income for clandestine projects. A pirate faction might establish a temporary base in a well traveled system and abandon it later, leaving behind a clue to where a permanent base is (probably deep space or an unsettled system).

If Stellaris will eventually model corporations as private factions inside your empire, with their own production bases, navies and means of income (that you tax) pirates will just piggy-back on that system. In times of war you could nationalize their fleet assets, kind of like a levy, which gives you an advantage against larger empires but it also runs the risk of these corporations backing independence movements, or even committing to a coup in a sector. Think of sectors as your dukes, systems as counts and corporations as the barony.

Edit: This could then expand systems with no habitable planets as points of conflict for the various entities that exist in the empires. Corporations fight over the resources in those systems, the conflicts attract piracy and the whole system becomes a flashpoint (like in Vicky 2) where eventually sector governors can intervene. If the conflict continues to escalate it can become a full blown casus belli for the empire.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Feb 17, 2016

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Space Barbary Pirates? Can't wait for the expansion that adds "Space FRAMED!!!!"

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Randarkman posted:

Why do people think that the Persian Empire didn't have slavery? because it's not really based in much fact (do people think the women, boys and eunuchs in the harem were volunteers?). There weren't many slaves in Persia (that is Western Iran) itself because that was more of an aristocracy-ruling-peasants type of place than a greatly urbaninzed region at this time, however slavery had a long tradition in Mesopotamia (the heart of the empire), Egypt, the Levant and Anatolia, and in all cases was allowed to carry on as it always had in those regions. The Achaemenids are also noted to have enslaved large numbers of people as punishment for rebellion.

The later Sassanid Empire had laws regarding slavery that are very much like the later Islamic laws for slaves, that is slaves who converted to Zoroastrianism could buy their freedom, and some laws regarding the general treatment of slaves are also pretty similar.

But there never really was a large scale aversion to slavery as an institution, if anything ancient Persia is more like Medieval Europe in where you had a large population of unfree agrarian subjects ruled over by the aristocracy, but very few actual slaves.

I think you just answered your own question as to why people think the Persians didn't have slavery - because we tend to think of it more like serfdom than actual slavery. (good post though)

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

Have pirates exist as a private entity with hidden holdings in various systems based on their security. Pirates are obviously more common in frontier systems but they may have backing from corporations who see them as a good way to hurt their rivals and a tertiary source of income for clandestine projects. A pirate faction might establish a temporary base in a well traveled system and abandon it later, leaving behind a clue to where a permanent base is (probably deep space or an unsettled system).

If Stellaris will eventually model corporations as private factions inside your empire, with their own production bases, navies and means of income (that you tax) pirates will just piggy-back on that system. In times of war you could nationalize their fleet assets, kind of like a levy, which gives you an advantage against larger empires but it also runs the risk of these corporations backing independence movements, or even committing to a coup in a sector. Think of sectors as your dukes, systems as counts and corporations as the barony.

Edit: This could then expand systems with no habitable planets as points of conflict for the various entities that exist in the empires. Corporations fight over the resources in those systems, the conflicts attract piracy and the whole system becomes a flashpoint (like in Vicky 2) where eventually sector governors can intervene. If the conflict continues to escalate it can become a full blown casus belli for the empire.

I think that all sounds good, but I'm not sure it answers how to handle pirates as units to fight. Basically that question always comes back to how often should they appear and how tough should they be. Above makes them an interesting faction to deal with- but to an extent it deals with all the 'off-the-board' type mechanics for them.

One thing that could make Pirates interesting is if they have clearly defined leaders with traits that help them out- and possibly have the chance to be vastly overpowered like some well-rolled general in EU4. It'd be more interesting if occasionally I had to worry about the threat of Space Captain Morgan, instead of generic pirates of Alpha Centauri.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Omnicarus posted:

While I agree that Cyrus's empire was great, I think this is a little narrow minded. The Empire of Serbia, founded in 1346 by Stefan Dušan The Mighty, ranks above the Persian Empire in most chronologic, military, economic, and social metrics that you can find.

Paradox, please make Serbian clay a trade commodity in Stellaris.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Randarkman posted:

But there never really was a large scale aversion to slavery as an institution, if anything ancient Persia is more like Medieval Europe in where you had a large population of unfree agrarian subjects ruled over by the aristocracy, but very few actual slaves.

This is a mostly good post, but your example is terrible. The Women and Enuchs were mostly volunteers, yes. For mostly the same reasons too: It was a way to gain political power without being born into it, one of the few possible paths to advancement in society. Either that, or with the women, they were mostly the relatives of the satrap or shah.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Drone posted:

Paradox, please make Serbian clay a trade commodity in Stellaris.

Serbian Clay is the terraforming resource hinted at in the DD. Where it is planted, life and civilization will flourish.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

It's also the sole required resource to build the monolith.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

World War Wednesday is up on twitch, in which we see a disadvantage of never automating any fronts.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Randarkman posted:

But there never really was a large scale aversion to slavery as an institution, if anything ancient Persia is more like Medieval Europe in where you had a large population of unfree agrarian subjects ruled over by the aristocracy, but very few atual slaves.
I know they had slaves. I was going more for stereotypes for what people think of ancient Persia. Neither of the other two things are really true either. Although these days ideas of ancient Petsia are probably entirely informed by 300 than the Bible and western Harem fantasies.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can't wait to turn the galaxy purple with the Xerxes 3000 battleship

Schizotek posted:

I know they had slaves. I was going more for stereotypes for what people think of ancient Persia. Neither of the other two things are really true either. Although these days ideas of ancient Petsia are probably entirely informed by 300 than the Bible and western Harem fantasies.
They had slaves, but what would've happened if Persia had slavs???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

dublish posted:

World War Wednesday is up on twitch, in which we see a disadvantage of never automating any fronts.

Successfully role playing Germany by micromanaging everything.