Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This show sure drops a lot of f bombs for a channel that doesn't allow them to actually say it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

"You killed Cancer Puppy?"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cancer Puppy was absolutely adorable.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

This show sure drops a lot of f bombs for a channel that doesn't allow them to actually say it.

They actually dropped "twat". I'm impressed.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
M.C. Gainey, the poor man's Michael Ironside!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gonz posted:

M.C. Gainey, the poor man's Michael Ironside!

NotMadEye

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

The guy from Super Troopers.

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011
I can't believe they killed Cancer Puppy!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I just realized thinking about it this morning but another thing they're doing kind of different is having people smoking. You don't really see it that much nowadays, especially with younger characters.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Haha I can't believe they tried to make welters look cool in ways other than magic. From the books I always got the impression that the games were played with something like less than 10 people watching, half of them faculty, half of them bored out of their mind, and nobody really understanding what the gently caress was going on. In the rain. Somewhere in a park.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Fleve posted:

Haha I can't believe they tried to make welters look cool in ways other than magic. From the books I always got the impression that the games were played with something like less than 10 people watching, half of them faculty, half of them bored out of their mind, and nobody really understanding what the gently caress was going on. In the rain. Somewhere in a park.

That is exactly how it's described in the book. Like the world's slowest, most boring magical chess match.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Honest question: am I meant to like Quentin at this point in the story?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Vitamin P posted:

Well the show has diverged from the books pretty hard already, but none of the book characters were really 'likable' (I guess Josh was okay, he's the closest to a non-disphit and not even in the show). One of the core things about the books was that all the characters were sad, broken people.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Vitamin P posted:

No. He's a bipolar narcissist with a superiority complex who can't take responsibility for his own actions.

He has a lot of growing up to do. Not sure if the show is going to do that.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Mouse Dresser posted:

WHERE THE HELL IS JOSH, GOD drat IT.

Isn't it obvious? On this show of pretty people with magic there is no room for the fat, nice guy.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It is probably for the best, Josh is too good for this sad imitation of a show.

For a moment I thought they were actually going to show a Welters game, but boring brain cancer story was clearly more important (and much cheaper).

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
Good things with this last episode: Cancer Puppy, Elliot and Margot getting bitchy, Alice smirking when she realized Elliot and Margot want something from her.

Eh things from this last episode: Using the cancer plot to tell the audience that magic can't fix everything.

Bad things from this last episode: Everything else. Especially the welters and the matching-but-individualized team sportswear.

ALL HAIL CANCER PUPPY!

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
The wethers game was a bit confusing, was it better explained in the books? Why did Quintin win suddenly by casting a spell he needed the blond girl to stop?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Oroborus posted:

The wethers game was a bit confusing, was it better explained in the books? Why did Quintin win suddenly by casting a spell he needed the blond girl to stop?

The writers don't even know.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Oroborus posted:

No. It's meant to be and described as convoluted and fuddy. It's only ever used as a a thing for Quentin to mull through during his depression.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

geeves posted:

The writers don't even know.
I havent read the books, and I got the impression that the writers havent either?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

FRINGE posted:

I havent read the books, and I got the impression that the writers havent either?

I think they just read the synopsis on Wikipedia.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Oroborus posted:

The big black hole spell wasn't in the books.

Welters was basically the same ('capture' squares with spells), but the board was off in a clearing on the grounds and the few matches weren't really spectator things. They were also boring as gently caress (I think the books explicitly say even the players were out of their gourds and ready for the whole thing to be OVER since it was getting dark or something).

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

I didn't finish the first book but the game made no sense at all to me, it came across as one of the very big examples in my mind that I was reading a really lovely "adult" Harry Potter knockoff where he looked at quidditch and thought "I can make something like that" when no, you clearly couldn't. Then tried making it as meta as possible by saying how a lot of the characters didn't even understand it.

I was almost ready to give up when they played the psych ward trope but the Taylor Swfit song saved it. This week's episode was a lot better though. I think this show is weird because the only way I can describe it to myself is "aggressively mediocre". Not quite terrible, so far away from good, aggressively mediocre.

Also I think Julia was designed to hit every MRA fear possible.

Botnit fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 17, 2016

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

WarLocke posted:

The big black hole spell wasn't in the books.

Not quite, but close to it. There is an ongoing thing about Josh's power level varying wildly, and at one point the gang is practising Welters and he accidentally conjurers this dark globe that sucks in all light and it really freaks everyone out.
The tv writers decided to ruin it by giving the scene to Quentin and have it be an actual black hole.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Botnit posted:

I didn't finish the first book but the game made no sense at all to me, it came across as one of the very big examples in my mind that I was reading a really lovely "adult" Harry Potter knockoff where he looked at quidditch and thought "I can make something like that" when no, you clearly couldn't. Then tried making it as meta as possible by saying how a lot of the characters didn't even understand it.

I was almost ready to give up when they played the psych ward trope but the Taylor Swfit song saved it. This week's episode was a lot better though. I think this show is weird because the only way I can describe it to myself is "aggressively mediocre". Not quite terrible, so far away from good, aggressively mediocre.

Also I think Julia was designed to hit every MRA fear possible.

Finally someone else who gets it.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Botnit posted:

Quidditch is a fuckin terrible game because it's two games going on at the same time and one of them doesn't matter. Welters is a lovely game because it's the educational spellcasting game where you just practice casting spells in different "circumstances" depending on what square you land on. With each square simulating a different circumstance. It's as much a game as like, a slam dunk contest or something.

Spellcasting power depending largely on the magician accounting for and altering their casting depending on a seemingly infinite variety of circumstances was touched on briefly when the Professor at the end of the show stated that a certain spell would be more powerful during a waxing moon. In the books, magicians practice the same spells over and over and over taking into account random poo poo like phase of the moon, lattitude and longitude, humidity, planet alignment, time of day, weather conditions, altitude, and all sorts of other random stuff and spells become more powerful the more bespoke they are.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 17, 2016

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It's how I felt while watching Harry Potter but I don't get why anyone would care about a fake game that's only there as a plot device.

I get that everyone keeps saying I'm supposed to not like Quenton but it's still weird considering he's the main character. And yet every episode I feel compelled to yell at him that he should stop being a self absorbed douchebag and call his best friend since childhood who is clearly going through some hosed up poo poo. Like, you'd think I'd give him more leeway after the whole "Julia used magic on him and it nearly killed him" thing but seeing as how she felt horribly guilty and lost everything to save him and he's like "are you going to kill her? No. Ok, done." I still find myself really disliking Q.

Here's hoping there's some big resolution coming where Julia and Q have a big hashing out.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Mind raped my former best friend to get revenge over something he had no hand in doing, but I apologized why won't he just drop it!

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
I guess this episode did provide what others have asked for to a degree, the hedgewitch girl has started turning tricks for magic. Did it happen like this in the books or was it much worse?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Oroborus posted:

I guess this episode did provide what others have asked for to a degree, the hedgewitch girl has started turning tricks for magic.
Pretty depressing. :(

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

I don't remember enough about Book Julia to say if it's accurate but from what I do remember she seemed more sympathetic than the show version. She's straight up super villain at this point in the show, attacking Quent, purposely putting James in danger for blackmail, etc.

Plus Stella Maeve has resting bitch face, that never helps.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

You're not supposed to root for Julia, you're supposed to pity her. And in the books she doesn't ever trade tricks for magic, but she tries to with Quentin; he just turns her down.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Oroborus posted:

I guess this episode did provide what others have asked for to a degree, the hedgewitch girl has started turning tricks for magic. Did it happen like this in the books or was it much worse?

Fairly worse, actually. She never gets brought into the secret conclave, and has more weird, sad, dark, and hosed up things happen in her hedgewitch education. I'm re-reading book two, "The Magician King," right now and it spells out her whole journey. I hope they cover more of the book journey in the show, her story is really hosed up.

I'm holding out until we get to see Fillory and the battle with Martin Chatwin. I have a feeling that that whole episode will be extra lovely and lame. I'll wager they'll gently caress up The City and it'll look like an ultra cool modern hop downtown fountain with a Starbuck's instead of the vacant library palazzo buildings.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

mastajake posted:

You're not supposed to root for Julia, you're supposed to pity her. And in the books she doesn't ever trade tricks for magic, but she tries to with Quentin; he just turns her down.

Ummmm.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This episode was a definite improvement. The dad's cancer thing was OK, although they did a bad job of the magic side of it. Magic has consequences... like? Quentin has access to a lot of energy now because he's sad about his dad? Huh? And I guess Quidditch-chess works by handicapping you and then seeing how powerful a spell you can do, so the extra "energy" Quentin had was how he was able to do the black hole spell and win. But what is this energy? Where does it come from? Why does being sad give you more of it?

Still not clear on what is the actual difference between real magicians and hedge witches. And what is Julia trying to do? Like, cast more powerful spells? But not to do anything in particular, just because she's, like, addicted to magic or something? But no one else seems to be.

The mentor thing came out of nowhere and didn't seem to have any relevance to anything.

Nothing really happened this episode either. There was a bit of setup for the next episode, like now we know that the mothman is holding someone we don't know prisoner in Narnia, but we still don't know anything about him or Narnia, so it's hard to care about that. Other than making the unfounded assumption that the fate of the world is at stake, I don't even know what sort of threat he represents.

And Julia no longer has a boyfriend, which is good, because he was just acting as an anchor preventing her from doing anything significant. But we've been given no indication of what she's likely to do, so it's hard to get excited about that. In fact, we don't really know what anyone wants or is trying to achieve so far, so the whole thing feels pretty meandering and unfocused.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Tiggum posted:

Still not clear on what is the actual difference between real magicians and hedge witches.
Its class status on a pedestal. The entire setting assumes that east coast ivy league status is a Very Real Important Thing.

Obviously by being refused we are supposed to discard her as a useless druggie whore, the way she did herself. Its so deep man!

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

Handies in the gas station bathroom don't count.

Tiggum posted:

Still not clear on what is the actual difference between real magicians and hedge witches. And what is Julia trying to do? Like, cast more powerful spells? But not to do anything in particular, just because she's, like, addicted to magic or something? But no one else seems to be.

The addiction thing is more like an MMO addiction than a drug addiction. She spells it out when she says that once you know that magic is real nothing else matters. And the main difference between hedgewitches and magicians is like getting a scientific education from Cal-Tech vs trading books from a 50 year old editions of the Encyclopedia Britannica with other hobbyists.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Tiggum posted:

Still not clear on what is the actual difference between real magicians and hedge witches.

It is a difference between self taugh and school trained.. In order to even be considered for Breakbills you have to be best of the best, they teach you magic under relatively safe conditions and you have access to teachers and knowledge.
Hedge witches teach themselves magic they don't have anywhere near the same amount of resources as the students at Breakbills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Na'at posted:

And the main difference between hedgewitches and magicians is like getting a scientific education from Cal-Tech vs trading books from a 50 year old editions of the Encyclopedia Britannica with other hobbyists.

This isn't true though? A level 250 hedgewitch is supposed to be just as knowledgeable as a graduate of Hogwartsbill.

Also I just unironically said level 250 hedgewitch. Kill me now please.