Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inkel posted:

New article up on Gamespot with crobberts complaining that people don't understand game development and should stop expecting releases anytime soon. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-citizen-creator-wishes-hed-explained-games-de/1100-6434856/

I love how they keep harping that same argument, when plenty of people have shown it's possible to do crowdfunding and not be insanely dumb about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Inkel posted:

New article up on Gamespot with crobberts complaining that people don't understand game development and should stop expecting releases anytime soon. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-citizen-creator-wishes-hed-explained-games-de/1100-6434856/

Funny how Harebrained managed to solve that problem three times over in the time it has taken for CRobber to fail to decide on a scope and deliver anything resembling a game…

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

EightAce posted:

There is no sustainable business model.
The plan was to flip the whole thing and sell the entire lot to a big name publisher allowing certain people , lets call them majestic twelve to retire as millionaires.
This didn't happen , the more money came in the more that Chris genuinely believed he could do this.He told the big names to gently caress off
So now they have to find a way of monetizing, hence talk of console and splitting up content into separate packages etc.

Even if they shove out a half assed bug ridden mission pack with 100000 of cutscene in it at some point next year they need to shift GTA type units to make a profit because they have to then complete the rest of it stretching into 2020 and I'm not talking about Star citizen here which is simply undo able.

There will be jail time and there will. most probably be deaths connected to this

In ten years, this will be a hell of a documentary series on Netflix.

Stay safe commando.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Tippis posted:

Funny how Harebrained managed to solve that problem three times over in the time it has taken for CRobber to fail to decide on a scope and deliver anything resembling a game…

He didn't fail to settle on a scope. It's just that he's adding more to the game before release. Thus once the boring background stuff is done. you'll content WAY faster*.

*may not be true

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Scruffpuff posted:

Dead on. What would persist? What would a character wipe mean, for example?

- Player inventory - Is there a bank or other storage? Does it persist across areas, or is each bank an individual instance? What can I store?
- Ship inventory - Does my vending machine stick around once I place it in the hold? Is there physical or virtual inventory tracking? Will the cargo area stay like I arrange it, or dynamically populate with inventory upon ship spawn?
- Ship persistence - Will my weapon loadouts stay the same between sessions? Can I move modules between ships? If so, how? Where are modules stored?
- Player advancement - Do players get experience and grow over time? Do players have persistent weapon inventories? Weapon carry limit? How do I choose what I am carrying? Where are the overflow weapons stored? What other types of things can I carry?
- Fleet inventory - Where are the ships stored? Do I have all my ships available from every pad? Or do I leave them at stations like Elite or EVE?

These are foundational questions - things you should have nailed down before you write the first line of code, or even choose a game engine. What is this game? The question nobody asked.

Does anyone ask these questions on the cig forums because its exactly what i think about when people wonder why someone could possibly question the bdsse, they don't have anything except ships and a tech demo.

Its like when that true believer guy came itt and i asked him to convince me but he couldn't answer a single logical question about how the game would actually function except ermm "do you like spaceships????"

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

EightAce posted:

There will be jail time and there will. most probably be deaths connected to this

Nah. It took nearly five years of people anonymously sending the SEC tips on Madoff before they actually acted. Financial malfeasance is difficult to prove, and usually ends up tied up in court over the movement between different trading entities. I posted a fuckton about this back when Smart was claiming the same thing, but the burden of proof remains on the prosecution to _prove_ that there was an attempt to deceive in an industry where people don't hit targets or make wild claims all the time.

You don't have to believe anything above, but you should look for precedence in both the US and UK.

The deaths are possible, though. There are some horrifically bad decisions being made around this thing and it's totally a cult, now.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Tank Boy Ken posted:

He didn't fail to settle on a scope. It's just that he's adding more to the game before release. Thus once the boring background stuff is done. you'll content WAY faster*.

*may not be true

Ah yes. Sorry, I forgot to apply SC logic — my mistake.
“Chris didn't do X, he's just doing [something that is the very definition of X]”.

This holds true for all X related to SC. :haw:

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Derek: I thought you would have your meetings with the FTC, congressmen, senators, the President etc. by now.

When is the next juicy blog post coming?

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

EightAce: can you confirm, via your professional informed insider opinion, that Chris Roberts snorts cocaine purchased with backer funds?

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Hav posted:

Nah. It took nearly five years of people anonymously sending the SEC tips on Madoff before they actually acted. Financial malfeasance is difficult to prove, and usually ends up tied up in court over the movement between different trading entities. I posted a fuckton about this back when Smart was claiming the same thing, but the burden of proof remains on the prosecution to _prove_ that there was an attempt to deceive in an industry where people don't hit targets or make wild claims all the time.

You don't have to believe anything above, but you should look for precedence in both the US and UK.

The deaths are possible, though. There are some horrifically bad decisions being made around this thing and it's totally a cult, now.

I don't mean jail time about this being a scam, It isn't a scam at all. But there will be jail time .
I have mentioned before that there are some genuinely terrifying people involved in this , some of the fans are batshit insane, not internet warriors but genuine physcos who have already offered to 'hurt' people that question the vision too vocally.
For all the sinister bunny ear idiots and guys dress like ISIS fighters there are eastern European guys with Star citizen tattoos, German bikers , guys in the Military from the Balkans all sorts of whack jobs

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Page number 1969

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

EightAce fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 8, 2016

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Moi, Je suis l'Etat.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Galarox posted:

Moi, Je suis l'Etat.

Coincidentally, it turns out they may not have smelled as bad in the past as one might have guessed based on ideas on soap, water, and disease.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Galarox posted:

Moi, Je suis l'Etat.

There is a picture of him actually dressed like that doing the rounds . There is no way on earth I'm going to upload it though. Think it was from some fancy dress thing.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-citizen-creator-wishes-hed-explained-games-de/1100-6434856/

lol.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

EightAce posted:

There is a picture of him actually dressed like that doing the rounds . There is no way on earth I'm going to upload it though. Think it was from some fancy dress thing.

has anyone ever told you to poo poo or get off the pot?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

I wonder how he feels about all the wasted mo-cap and ~vision~ would be wasted if this was true. No car dealerships and clothes stores for you.

The double speak going on at rsi is amazing. They are running out of rope and are borrowing more.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

EightAce posted:

lol. You have made my day. Art immitates life :)

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

EightAce posted:

I have never seen him take drugs that's the truth. He loves very very expensive Vodka but gets paralytic after about 4 shots. Not saying that backer funds haven't paid for the vodka though.
Also his brother is very generous and loves buying in food and goodies for the peons; good parties to.

Can I emerge from this as a somewhat reasonable person if I don't loath Erin Roberts? Or is there all manner of nonsense taking place that means I have to squarely lump him in with the rest of the terrible people brigade.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Gilganixon posted:

has anyone ever told you to poo poo or get off the pot?

Spies require a pot underneath them at all times, to poo poo at their convenience

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Nation posted:

Does anyone ask these questions on the cig forums

lol

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lime Tonics posted:

I wonder how he feels about all the wasted mo-cap and ~vision~ would be wasted if this was true. No car dealerships and clothes stores for you.

The double speak going on at rsi is amazing. They are running out of rope and are borrowing more.

I also expect them to close the store, in fact way, way before a "final beta" is available

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

D1E posted:

Derek: I thought you would have your meetings with the FTC, congressmen, senators, the President etc. by now.

When is the next juicy blog post coming?

D_Smart posted:

Problem is that a LOT of people are VERY upset about how the development and company are going, but can't say/do anything about it.

And those people are talking among themselves, not knowing who is talking to others (friends, family, industry contacts, media) outside of the enclave that is CIG/RSI.

They KNOW that this game has zero chance of being completed; and that when it all goes to poo poo, it's going to be a huge poo poo stain on their resumes, their rep and stuff they can't even talk about on the record (outside of a lawsuit in which they will be compelled to talk) because talking anon leaves a lot of room for people to make light of their plight.

Unfortunately for CIG/RSI execs (Chris, Erin, Sandi, Ortwin, Simon), there is only so much that they can keep a lid on, due to the fact that other people HAVE to be privy of certain company ops and decisions.

ps: I have a third meeting with the Feds on Feb 3rd, and another with State officials on Feb 17th. That is all.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Dusty Lens posted:

Can I emerge from this as a somewhat reasonable person if I don't loath Erin Roberts? Or is there all manner of nonsense taking place that means I have to squarely lump him in with the rest of the terrible people brigade.

Hey man you can feel free to hate/not hate any of the clown brigade that is CIG, I won't judge you for it. There are clearly a lot of very talented, very dedicated people working there. Which is part of the tragedy.

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

Scruffpuff posted:

What is this game? The question nobody asked.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Galarox posted:

Hey man you can feel free to hate/not hate any of the clown brigade that is CIG, I won't judge you for it. There are clearly a lot of very talented, very dedicated people working there. Which is part of the tragedy.

Thank you, you were number two on my list of people I wouldn't survive earning the ire of. As far as I can tell the general rank and file of the bodies at CIG are amazingly talented people trying to do an impossible task and succeeding in ways the defy understanding before their efforts are given the Sisyphus treatment and they must start anew. Erin is one of the up and ups and seems like a dude who enjoys working with people to make games and maybe not being filmed while doing it.

My curiosity concerns how deep he is in with the least desirable aspects of CIG.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Lime Tonics posted:

This thread...

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/318680/low-tech-future-can-a-simple-lore-change-explain-it/p1

Guy asks a simple question. The net result is there are 40 replies that basically sound like all that poo poo is in the game. Encryption, jobs, ships, reputation, etc.

The disconnect of reality is amazing.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

EightAce posted:

I have never seen him take drugs that's the truth. He loves very very expensive Vodka but gets paralytic after about 4 shots. Not saying that backer funds haven't paid for the vodka though.
Also his brother is very generous and loves buying in food and goodies for the peons; good parties to.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Dusty Lens posted:

Thank you, you were number two on my list of people I wouldn't survive earning the ire of. As far as I can tell the general rank and file of the bodies at CIG are amazingly talented people trying to do an impossible task and succeeding in ways the defy understanding before their efforts are given the Sisyphus treatment and they must start anew. Erin is one of the up and ups and seems like a dude who enjoys working with people to make games and maybe not being filmed while doing it.

My curiosity concerns how deep he is in with the least desirable aspects of CIG.

I think I remember EightAce suggesting that he's got his hand in the grime too.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Colostomy Bag posted:

This thread...

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/318680/low-tech-future-can-a-simple-lore-change-explain-it/p1

Guy asks a simple question. The net result is there are 40 replies that basically sound like all that poo poo is in the game. Encryption, jobs, ships, reputation, etc.

The disconnect of reality is amazing.

welp, you answered my question, these fucks deserve to lose every penny they gave him

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

If we applty simple math to Sc we get very interesting answers, since by Crobizzle vision of crowfunding game developpement , eact time the project receive money, the scope expand, so if you give n $ to SC, SC scope expand by n+1

SC will never be finished unless it stop getting funding.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

That pic is from his bachelor party in Amsterdam I think. I wasn't there so i didn't see him take drugs

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart meeting with the staties today. Could be a good day.

but we probably won't know for :twoweeks:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

EightAce posted:

The Stimperial vessel has docked in Wilmslow in the heart of Manchester.
Lord Crobbler is now at large . So that's a load of work in the bin ....................

Do other CIG people know about the stimpire? Do they consider themselves to be IN the stimpire?

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Dusty Lens posted:

Who is number one on that list?

EightAce
May 10, 2015

No one is allowed to speak of the Stimpire . It is whispered about well away from fortress Wilmslow.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

D_Smart meeting with the staties today. Could be a good day.

but we probably won't know for :twoweeks:

It'll probably end up with Smart getting arrested for trying to start a fight.

Edit: "Let me loving finish!"

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
It just dawned on me that I've never seen anything on progression of your character in and of itself. Will you gain experience levels or skill levels? I'm not talking about the gear you have or your space chariot, but like, is a 1000 hour character on equal footing with a ~0 hour character loot aside in a shoot-mans situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Nation posted:

welp, you answered my question, these fucks deserve to lose every penny they gave him

Some of those threads are like fishing. You mostly sit around waiting and a good one comes in.

Edit: Grand Admiral 2500-5000 BTW

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 17, 2016

• Locked thread