Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Polish Avenger posted:

It just dawned on me that I've never seen anything on progression of your character in and of itself. Will you gain experience levels or skill levels? I'm not talking about the gear you have or your space chariot, but like, is a 1000 hour character on equal footing with a ~0 hour character loot aside in a shoot-mans situation?

They're still trying to figure out how jump points will work, come back in a few years :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Well, I think it's time to see if reddit likes my video review. Hopefully I'll get some reasonable discussion and constructive criticism!

:gary::parrot::yarg:

beep_boop
Feb 2, 2016

Chalks posted:

Star Citizen moderation is awesome.

I hope the 110M stretch goal is an automoderator that advises you to open threads in random forum sections and then just auto closes them. Plz, Christ Roberts!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

D_Smart meeting with the staties today. Could be a good day.

but we probably won't know for :twoweeks:

Sorry to be like a stick in the mud or whatever but why would fed or state authorities need to meet with Derek? It's not like he is a prosecutor, attorney, pi or leo. He's just some dude on the internet. I'm calling bs on this meeting with feds/state authorities thing.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Wafflz posted:

Sorry to be like a stick in the mud or whatever but why would fed or state authorities need to meet with Derek? It's not like he is a prosecutor, attorney, pi or leo. He's just some dude on the internet. I'm calling bs on this meeting with feds/state authorities thing.

Of course it's BS. For as much fun as Derek is to have around here, anybody who honestly thinks he's got some kind of grand orchestrated plot to bring ruin to CIG is being a little silly. He talks a lot and yells and makes outlandish threats and it's funny, but I wouldn't expect much more than that.

(just don't tell /r/dereksmart)

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
Can't wait for this shitshow.

http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-takes-to-the-stage-at-the-pc-gamer-weekender/

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Wafflz posted:

"Visit with state" is renewing his vehicle registration. "Feds" means he submitted his tax return.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

Of course it's BS. For as much fun as Derek is to have around here, anybody who honestly thinks he's got some kind of grand orchestrated plot to bring ruin to CIG is being a little silly. He talks a lot and yells and makes outlandish threats and it's funny, but I wouldn't expect much more than that.

Ok good, I was worried that people here actually believed that stuff. I mean if zecumbe can be a goon* then anything can be true.

*renamed parachute account

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

They're going to get eaten alive.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Building a Galaxy?

Christ, they can't build a soda fountain.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Yep, /r/starcitizen - a home for constructive criticism!

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah I figured he did it for trolling and to get people to leak stuff to him by making it seem like he had something happening.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Beet Wagon posted:

The Stimporer used to class professor Smart as just noise, then he lost his poo poo and wrote that letter. Now no one is allowed to mention professor Smart OR that letter even in email.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

EightAce posted:

The Stimporer used to class professor Smart as just noise, then he lost his poo poo and wrote that letter. Now no one is allowed to mention professor Smart OR that letter even in email.

Well that's really on the Stimperor, and not Derek. If Stimperor Roberts had just reacted like the head of a multi-million-dollar company instead of throwing a 12 page tantrum, Derek Smart's raving wouldn't have blown up the way it did.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

quote:

It won't be the Star Citizen people are throwing money away for. At some point most donors will see their mistake and there will be a huge uproar. It's like paying for a space trip and getting a NASA tour.

Thank you for this enlightened pubbie. :golfclap:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Variable 5 posted:

"Visit with state" is renewing his vehicle registration. "Feds" means he submitted his tax return.

Weird fact; the only people that can transfer their driver's license directly from their home country to the US are the French.

Everyone else gets chance to be patronized by a driving instructor all over again.

Americans have never driven in the south of France, obviously.

Beet Wagon posted:

Well that's really on the Stimperor, and not Derek. If Stimperor Roberts had just reacted like the head of a multi-million-dollar company instead of throwing a 12 page tantrum, Derek Smart's raving wouldn't have blown up the way it did.

FACT!

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Daztek posted:

They're still trying to figure out how jump points will work, come back in a few years :v:

It gets mind-boggling the amount of DESIGN debt they have accrued. Not art, but logical systems in the game. None of this stuff is finalized, but even when it is, they still have to implement it. If the PU is any sign, the vision of the Crobber is going to be a herculean task to program. Even then you have to revise it multiple times once us Cheeto-fingered meta-gamers find the holes to exploit. The expectation is there will be numerous deep, career like systems of this kind for escapist spergs to choose from. They will be lucky, LUCKY if they can load up their wagon with sprockets and ferry them from A to B in a way that is at all interesting or fun at time of release.

The backlash will be atomic.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Why is there industrial lube and space sex explanation on 10ft developers?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hav posted:

Weird fact; the only people that can transfer their driver's license directly from their home country to the US are the French.

Everyone else gets chance to be patronized by a driving instructor all over again.

Americans have never driven in the south of France, obviously.

Maybe it's a case of “oh no, I've seen Paris traffic, no way in hell am I, or any of my colleagues, going to be an instructor for those guys”.

Like in this entirely factual documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzqLgi3aLSA

Tippis fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 17, 2016

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Polish Avenger posted:

It gets mind-boggling the amount of DESIGN debt they have accrued. Not art, but logical systems in the game. None of this stuff is finalized, but even when it is, they still have to implement it. If the PU is any sign, the vision of the Crobber is going to be a herculean task to program. Even then you have to revise it multiple times once us Cheeto-fingered meta-gamers find the holes to exploit. The expectation is there will be numerous deep, career like systems of this kind for escapist spergs to choose from. They will be lucky, LUCKY if they can load up their wagon with sprockets and ferry them from A to B in a way that is at all interesting or fun at time of release.

They still have to change everything they already made to work said systems into the game lmfao how do the backers not see this?!?!

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Also :lol: if you think E:D is somehow better. That game exists but its really boring.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Polish Avenger posted:

Pretty much this, and what several us have tried to articulate in bits and pieces. But this whole fiasco is so far beyond comprehension, no one can sit down and write a simple summary of things. Guess the easiest way to explain it is that there is no game. No use in explaining nothing. How do you define nothing?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sylink posted:

Also :lol: if you think E:D is somehow better. That game exists but its really boring.

Yeah but it exists, right? So just by that fact alone it's better.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sylink posted:

How many ships did you purchase, Citizen?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Sylink posted:

E:D is dull and Korean MMO's recoil at the grind it has but it still is a game and star citizen is not so it is automatically better.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

There's always one that is actually helpful. Poor guy.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Sylink posted:

An actual game with features as promised, an awesome flight model, and a really stable engine?

"Elite is boring" is not a valid comparison to Star Citizen. Besides, it's pretty drat similar to how the original games were...

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Thirsty Dog posted:

An actual game with features as promised, an awesome flight model, and a really stable engine?

"Elite is boring" is not a valid comparison to Star Citizen. Besides, it's pretty drat similar to how the original games were...

I find it far easier to get things done and to actually progress in E:D than it ever was in the old games, and I absolutely suck at it…

And really, Elite is a sandbox through and through — it's as boring as you make it. It's not a game for everyone, but it doesn't pretend to be either.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Hav posted:

How many ships did you purchase, Citizen?

Oh I've never bought star citizen, I only have remorse for E:D, which is a beautiful game and the flight is great, there is just not much fun single player wise.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6371881/#Comment_6371881

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Sylink posted:

All space sims are boring. If they ever finish SC (They won't), it will be just as boring. There is a certain level of "make your own fun" that you have to bring to a game in this genre.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Sylink posted:

Oh I've never bought star citizen, I only have remorse for E:D, which is a beautiful game and the flight is great, there is just not much fun single player wise.

i paid £10 for it, which feels about right

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sylink posted:

So you're basing your comparison on the thread?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Hav posted:

So you're basing your comparison on the thread?

I think he is trying to say they are equally bad.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Pretty much this, and what several us have tried to articulate in bits and pieces. But this whole fiasco is so far beyond comprehension, no one can sit down and write a simple summary of things. Guess the easiest way to explain it is that there is no game. No use in explaining nothing. How do you define nothing?

Right now we have a buggy Cryengine mod.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Gilganixon posted:

i paid £10 for it, which feels about right

Friend of mine gifted me an Aurora MR package. I stuck in $5 for the LN so I could do a free fly week and try out ships besides the flying coffin.

That's a good tidbit by the way. If you have a gifted package, you are not a backer. If you are not a backer, then no free ship events for you (the ones when you could fly any ship in arena commander for a week or whatever).

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Polish Avenger posted:

Friend of mine gifted me an Aurora MR package. I stuck in $5 for the LN so I could do a free fly week and try out ships besides the flying coffin.

That's a good tidbit by the way. If you have a gifted package, you are not a backer. If you are not a backer, then no free ship events for you (the ones when you could fly any ship in arena commander for a week or whatever).

Event better, due to how they allow insane melt/unmelt/raclette/gift/LTI/tokens/WTF shenanigans you can find yourself with multiple 200$+ ships associated to your account but without access to the game Starengine tech demo.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
For posterity

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lmao, the mods on the RSI forums are pretty fuckin poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

SC's persistence is that nothing the players do changes the 'game' environment :downs:

• Locked thread