Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Sorry I'm late to the new thread Rondette. If you're still taking bets, can I have my same side bet from last year? Fuckhead hypoxic tourist suplexes a Sherpa off the Kangshung Face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.
:zombie: UPDATED DEATH COUNT PICKS FOR THE 2016 EVEREST CLIMBING SEASON :zombie:
As of February 17, 2016
These green boots were made for walkin'

-1 stab, elwood
0 Literally Kermit, Pvt Dancer, PostNouveau, Minrad, Mnoba
-1+1 Robo Reagan (Mom dies but baby lives)
1 CaptainOblivious, Fumble
2 empty baggie, Cojawfee
3 Troublemaker, Shinjobi, Alan Smithee
4 The Light Eternal, StoneOfShame, gannyGrabber, Vape Bag, Sanguine
4.5 Popeahuntis
5 Microwaves Mom, Cliff Racer
6 Rondette, bradzilla, koreban
7 Anya, Vintimus Prime, The French Army!
8 Electrical Fire, Nuggan, ranbo das, sesame_samuel_
9 SaNChEzZ, SteveVizsla, ALL-PRO SEXMAN (“between 8 and 13”), Rolo
10 Quinctia, Shwqa, Hogge Wild, Jonesy (7 westerners and 3 sherpas)
11 Robo Reagan, Bob Loblaw, Amgard, GiantAmazonianOtter, SLICK GOKU BABY, Ziggy Starfucker
12 slinky triscuits, Dr.Smasher
13 Crusty Nutsack, Leperflesh, Velkest
14 Tambaloneus, Dead Precedents, Cuckoo
15 Xibanya, Lasca
16 Comrade Koba, LongDarkNight
17 Day Man, BlueBlazer, Quantum Finger, twit666
18 BisonDollah, Picnic Princess
19 Nostalgia4Butts, Carl Seitan
20 Teddybear (“smallest available positive integer”)
21 Cymoril, Sanguinary Novel
22 Stars War
23 Nether Postlude, Ars Arcanum
24 Cthulu Carl, pr0k
25 Arcsquad12
26 meiram
27 MorgaineDax
28 ChrisHansen, Mihai Zetta, c0ldfuse
29 Switzerland, Bip Roberts
30 Cowman, h3r0n (bonus option: LL Bean)
31 IKillForPie
32 Chicken Doodle
33 RCarr, Romes128
34 a messed up horse
35 mike12345
36 Koil
37 Anoia
38 fuctifino, ZombieLenin
39 DerekSmartymans
42 blowfish (bonus option: execution), Random Hajile (bonus option: explosion)
50 Deadly Mongoose
69 Nooner
88 tentative8e8op
162 Happy Hedonist
666 soy
42069666 ghostter
Mtn The Goatfather
All Chinatown, Mega64
Sidebet: DumbparameciuM (hypoxic tourist suplexes a Sherpa off the Kangshung Face)

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Nether Postlude posted:

:zombie: UPDATED DEATH COUNT PICKS FOR THE 2016 EVEREST CLIMBING SEASON :zombie:
As of February 17, 2016
These green boots were made for walkin'

-1 stab, elwood
0 Literally Kermit, Pvt Dancer, PostNouveau, Minrad, Mnoba
-1+1 Robo Reagan (Mom dies but baby lives)
1 CaptainOblivious, Fumble
2 empty baggie, Cojawfee
3 Troublemaker, Shinjobi, Alan Smithee
4 The Light Eternal, StoneOfShame, gannyGrabber, Vape Bag, Sanguine
4.5 Popeahuntis
5 Microwaves Mom, Cliff Racer
6 Rondette, bradzilla, koreban
7 Anya, Vintimus Prime, The French Army!
8 Electrical Fire, Nuggan, ranbo das, sesame_samuel_
9 SaNChEzZ, SteveVizsla, ALL-PRO SEXMAN (“between 8 and 13”), Rolo
10 Quinctia, Shwqa, Hogge Wild, Jonesy (7 westerners and 3 sherpas)
11 Robo Reagan, Bob Loblaw, Amgard, GiantAmazonianOtter, SLICK GOKU BABY, Ziggy Starfucker
12 slinky triscuits, Dr.Smasher
13 Crusty Nutsack, Leperflesh, Velkest
14 Tambaloneus, Dead Precedents, Cuckoo
15 Xibanya, Lasca
16 Comrade Koba, LongDarkNight
17 Day Man, BlueBlazer, Quantum Finger, twit666
18 BisonDollah, Picnic Princess
19 Nostalgia4Butts, Carl Seitan
20 Teddybear (“smallest available positive integer”)
21 Cymoril, Sanguinary Novel
22 Stars War
23 Nether Postlude, Ars Arcanum
24 Cthulu Carl, pr0k
25 Arcsquad12
26 meiram
27 MorgaineDax
28 ChrisHansen, Mihai Zetta, c0ldfuse
29 Switzerland, Bip Roberts
30 Cowman, h3r0n (bonus option: LL Bean)
31 IKillForPie
32 Chicken Doodle
33 RCarr, Romes128
34 a messed up horse
35 mike12345
36 Koil
37 Anoia
38 fuctifino, ZombieLenin
39 DerekSmartymans
42 blowfish (bonus option: execution), Random Hajile (bonus option: explosion)
50 Deadly Mongoose
69 Nooner
88 tentative8e8op
162 Happy Hedonist
666 soy
42069666 ghostter
Mtn The Goatfather
All Chinatown, Mega64
Sidebet: DumbparameciuM (hypoxic tourist suplexes a Sherpa off the Kangshung Face)

Thanks! Will update OP

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Originally it was each number can only be claimed by 1 person. I guess we did away with that rule? Can we change our picks now that this is the case?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's too many people for that now. I say limit at 2-3. It's not like we win money or anything.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Having a solid reason to hope for the death of other humans is a prize in and of itself.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
We can all be winners, as long as somebody dies on the mountain.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Tou get a drawing by me!! Btw guy who 'won' last fear, still waiting for your pic....

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I'll put mine down on 22 dead or missing. I hope those poor sherpas are gonna be safe :ohdear:

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.
Put me down for 12, due to a base-camp tent fire.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Frozen Horse posted:

Put me down for 12, due to a base-camp tent fire.

That's cheating. Boo!

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

Serak posted:

Because while YOU may be under the impression that Mt Everest is an immensely challenging treking/climbing challenge beset with unpredictably hazardous weather and unstable terrain into an atmosphere in while human life cannot survive, in fact,

Ugh. This is the kind of poo poo that almost makes me hope rich white assholes do die on the mountain. Self-absorption level = loving higher than Everest itself.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
So what is the last year that nobody died on the mountain?

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

What year did they start climbing it?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I would like to place a unique bet: that there is going to be another physical fight on the mountain this year. Someone is going to have their rear end(es) kicked on Mt. Everest. Bonus points if it's a tourist vs Sherpa throw down like the one that happened a few years back

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Ars Arcanum posted:

Ugh. This is the kind of poo poo that almost makes me hope rich white assholes do die on the mountain. Self-absorption level = loving higher than Everest itself.

Almost?

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

I would like to place a unique bet: that there is going to be another physical fight on the mountain this year. Someone is going to have their rear end(es) kicked on Mt. Everest. Bonus points if it's a tourist vs Sherpa throw down like the one that happened a few years back

I'd love to hear the story behind this.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Alan Smithee posted:

If the Wikipedia list is complete and accurate, 1977.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Mega64 posted:

Almost?

I'd love to hear the story behind this.

It was the Great Everest Brawl of April '13

http://www.outsideonline.com/1929351/everest-brawl-sherpas-tale

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

was expecting americans but not surprised it was Russians.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Let me be the first to say Go Team Niner. Death is our gain and those dirty even-number-pickers are a blight upon our one true death number. All hail.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Ueli Steck isn't a tourist though.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Yeah Steck is probably the greatest climber since Messner and the whole story sounds like miscommunication mixing with very high tension and general resentment from Sherpas due to the way the tourists had been taking them for granted over the years. Steck certainly wouldn't treat Sherpas badly and just happened to piss them off when they were already ready to snap.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
theyre all gona die

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I hope the sherpas eat everyone

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Shinjobi posted:

I hope the sherpas eat everyone

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

fuctifino posted:

Saving from the last thread

I'll go for 38 for the deathpool for 2016.

Here lies Shirya; peperony and chease.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Everyone of them. Every goddam one.

From ennui

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Sherpas don't get ennui. They got like real problems and poo poo

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007
Seconding a reading list. Just finished Into Thin Air, and don't really get the Krakauer hate. Yeah he speculates a lot about motivations, but is anybody really going to argue that grumpy russian dude abandoned his clients and hosed off back to Camp 4 so he could drink tea and plan for their rescue?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He went back to his camp, rested, went back up and saved his climbers. Everyone from his group survived the disaster.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

StoneOfShame posted:

Yeah Steck is probably the greatest climber since Messner and the whole story sounds like miscommunication mixing with very high tension and general resentment from Sherpas due to the way the tourists had been taking them for granted over the years. Steck certainly wouldn't treat Sherpas badly and just happened to piss them off when they were already ready to snap.

The whole thing sounds like people Kicking Each Others Asses on the loving highest mountain in the world you stupid bitch idiot

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Krakauer is a better storyteller than he is a historian or reporter.

If I recall correctly, Jon also had zero humility when called out on it and refuses to admit that he might have sort of gotten it wrong about Boukreev.

His conclusion is a pretty good one, that it is still an impressive accomplishment to survive an Everest summit attempt, but there's no good reason to try and you are a big stupid idiot for attempting it. Analogous to picking a fight with a grizzly bear, I guess.

It's also funny that he is all :qq: that the movie Everest got a bunch of the facts and characters all wrong, because his book did the same.

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

He went back to his camp, rested, went back up and saved his climbers. Everyone from his group survived the disaster.

canyoneer posted:

Krakauer is a better storyteller than he is a historian or reporter.

If I recall correctly, Jon also had zero humility when called out on it and refuses to admit that he might have sort of gotten it wrong about Boukreev.

His conclusion is a pretty good one, that it is still an impressive accomplishment to survive an Everest summit attempt, but there's no good reason to try and you are a big stupid idiot for attempting it. Analogous to picking a fight with a grizzly bear, I guess.

It's also funny that he is all :qq: that the movie Everest got a bunch of the facts and characters all wrong, because his book did the same.

Jon's detailing of the rise in popularity of climbing without oxygen, more or less as a response to running out of peaks and needing new feats to pioneer, was tragic. Akin to mastering football, so deciding any "true" footballer needs to play without a helmet.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Not... exactly.

If you're climbing with oxygen and you run out while you're in the death zone, you are pretty likely to die. On the other hand, if you climb without oxygen, while you'll have a much harder time the whole way... you either acclimate, and then manage in the death zone without that danger from running out if you're delayed, or you don't acclimate, and never attempt the final summit. I believe there is a minority of climbers promoting this strategy of not relying on oxygen who basically make this argument.

Probably the "best" way to go would be to climb without regularly using supplemental oxygen, but having a tank available as an emergency treatment if you develop HACE/HAPE high up the mountain and will likely die without immediate oxygen.

(the real "best" way to go is to not climb the loving mountain)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The best way to climb is to have a huge, luxurious team of Sherpas to carry all the bottled oxygen you could possibly need.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Platystemon posted:

The best way to climb is to have a huge, luxurious team of Sherpas to carry you in a canopied transporter like a king.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Platystemon posted:

The best way to climb is to have a huge, luxurious team of Sherpas to carry all the bottled oxygen you could possibly need.

That's exactly how Gloria Shah-Klorfine died, though. She had far more bottles than she could possibly need, except she used them all up way too fast and then ran out and died in a traffic jam on the way down, despite her huge, luxurious team of Sherpas begging her to stop doing that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Don't forget all the oxygen she wasted standing at the top taking pictures.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Leperflesh posted:

That's exactly how Gloria Shah-Klorfine died, though. She had far more bottles than she could possibly need, except she used them all up way too fast and then ran out and died in a traffic jam on the way down, despite her huge, luxurious team of Sherpas begging her to stop doing that.

It was possible she needed more.

What’s the point of climbing Everest if you can’t take a bunch of selfies at the top?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

that's why I want to chopper up like the frenchman and jsut take my sweetass time at the top