Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001
Nirsoft has a bunch of other really awesome free tools too. BlueScreenView has clued me in MANY times of the underlying cause of a BSOD (e.g. bad video/network/sound driver .dll causing the fault).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

totalnewbie posted:

What is the right place, then? I can ask there, instead.

Meanwhile, what I'm looking for is the line going down the side of the emails in each conversation, like you can see here: http://www.businessproductivity.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/How-to-view-email-by-conversation-03.png

It's disappeared in Outlook 2013 and I just miss it as a good visual indication of where conversations begin and end.

You can emulate every bit of that except the line. And I don't know regarding the best place to ask it, but this is just for Exchange - i.e. the server side of things.

Link to someone asking your same question and Microsoft confirming its no longer there in 2013: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...c6f69796?auth=1

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Today was fun. Got pulled into a meeting and told that we are migrating to o365... today. We made it as far as mailbox syncing and will pick up tomorrow. I'm hoping I can put the ad dirsync on a 2008 R2 vm and forget about it with syncing set to every 15 minutes. We are a small shop so about 100 mailboxes so this won't be as ulcer inducing as it should be...

I'm hoping someone could recommend a admin book to read or a site that goes over big picture things, gotchas and things like that. I don't know what this Delve or Sway poo poo is, trying to figure out how to hide sharepoint and we are terrified as poo poo about what is public and private, and what users can do to gently caress poo poo up like making secrets.docx public by accident.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

ghostinmyshell posted:

Today was fun. Got pulled into a meeting and told that we are migrating to o365... today.

Ahh... why? That sounds beyond dumb.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Internet Explorer posted:

Ahh... why? That sounds beyond dumb.
Maybe they got a good deal

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That says March. And if you got that great of a deal you could pay for it and then migrate over a week or two. If your boss is that dumb find a new job.

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009

ghostinmyshell posted:

Today was fun. Got pulled into a meeting and told that we are migrating to o365... today. We made it as far as mailbox syncing and will pick up tomorrow. I'm hoping I can put the ad dirsync on a 2008 R2 vm and forget about it with syncing set to every 15 minutes. We are a small shop so about 100 mailboxes so this won't be as ulcer inducing as it should be...

I'm hoping someone could recommend a admin book to read or a site that goes over big picture things, gotchas and things like that. I don't know what this Delve or Sway poo poo is, trying to figure out how to hide sharepoint and we are terrified as poo poo about what is public and private, and what users can do to gently caress poo poo up like making secrets.docx public by accident.

Mailbox syncing before you got dirsync up? This could get reaaaaally interesting is the account matching doesn't line up perfectly (assuming I read it right that you've already started). If your guys make new hires account manually I would recommend you set your sync interval to 30 min at shortest to lessen the chance of an incomplete account locking the UPN and having to change it manually later, have run into a few places get bit by that. On that note you'll save yourself alot of headaches if you can make everyone's UPN and primary SMTP match.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Ugato posted:

You can emulate every bit of that except the line. And I don't know regarding the best place to ask it, but this is just for Exchange - i.e. the server side of things.

Link to someone asking your same question and Microsoft confirming its no longer there in 2013: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...c6f69796?auth=1

I couldn't find a better place but it's all email, right? :v:

But anyway, thanks for finding that. At least I can give up.

quote:

My company is just making the switch to 2013 and this is a major blow to the functionality of Outlook.

Ticket posted:

Can't receive emails!

Solution posted:

No thread line in conversation view. Outlook working as normal. Close

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I am currently using Xeams spam filtering for our exchange server. Not only is it a lousy spam filter (it filters things from people which it previously accepted and lets through exact copies of things it blocked, makes no sense) but more importantly, the way it does this is by giving you an email at the end of the day (literally, 12 am) of all the stuff it filtered. So basically long after critical emails where lost to the filter and business has been already affected, it kindly gives you a report of all the crap its done.

My question: what is a spam filtering solution that actually puts spam in the spam folder of each persons mailbox? I know this is super obvious but I thought I would come here and get a solid recommendation.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

Gozinbulx posted:

I am currently using Xeams spam filtering for our exchange server. Not only is it a lousy spam filter (it filters things from people which it previously accepted and lets through exact copies of things it blocked, makes no sense) but more importantly, the way it does this is by giving you an email at the end of the day (literally, 12 am) of all the stuff it filtered. So basically long after critical emails where lost to the filter and business has been already affected, it kindly gives you a report of all the crap its done.

My question: what is a spam filtering solution that actually puts spam in the spam folder of each persons mailbox? I know this is super obvious but I thought I would come here and get a solid recommendation.

A spam filter solution should have a quarantine option, where messages that are quarantined can be accessed by the user and released to the mailbox if needed. All the big names I've seen have this capability so if you switch to something else I would look for something that has this type of functionality (Xeams may even have it). However this would require your users to log into the spam filter to view their quarantined messages and release them if needed.

As far as a spam filtering appliance making items go into a specific folder on your mailbox, I'm not aware of a solution that can do that right off the bat. You could configure the spam filter to put a specific header in the email like 'x-spam' then use a transport rule to give that message a high scl which should do what you want. However if you're not wanting your spam filter to actually block mail from reaching the mailbox what's the point of the spam filter?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
If you're still running a spam filter/gateway on your local servers in the Year of Our Lord 2016, you're doing it wrong.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Will Styles posted:

A spam filter solution should have a quarantine option, where messages that are quarantined can be accessed by the user and released to the mailbox if needed. All the big names I've seen have this capability so if you switch to something else I would look for something that has this type of functionality (Xeams may even have it). However this would require your users to log into the spam filter to view their quarantined messages and release them if needed.

As far as a spam filtering appliance making items go into a specific folder on your mailbox, I'm not aware of a solution that can do that right off the bat. You could configure the spam filter to put a specific header in the email like 'x-spam' then use a transport rule to give that message a high scl which should do what you want. However if you're not wanting your spam filter to actually block mail from reaching the mailbox what's the point of the spam filter?

Maybe I'm not explaining it well but you know how Gmail has a spam folder? If you were supposed to get something and don't receive it, you check the spam folder quickly to see if it got caught. That's what I want. No logging into a separate system, no waiting for a wrap up email at the end of the day. Outlook has a junk email folder built it. I want to actually use it.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Gyshall posted:

If you're still running a spam filter/gateway on your local servers in the Year of Our Lord 2016, you're doing it wrong.

What is the alternative? I'm sorry I'm so ignorant but the exchange server was until recently one of the few things I was not in charge of and now I'm trying to get a handle on it.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
And he just told you a possible way of doing it.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Gozinbulx posted:

What is the alternative? I'm sorry I'm so ignorant but the exchange server was until recently one of the few things I was not in charge of and now I'm trying to get a handle on it.

All of our external email goes through MXLogic (until we switch to Mimecast) and they do the filtering.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

The Electronaut posted:

And he just told you a possible way of doing it.

Yes absolutely, I was responding more to the "why would you do it". I thought it was pretty standard to have a junk mail folder that you would check in case something that was important was marked as spam but maybe not.

myron cope posted:

All of our external email goes through MXLogic (until we switch to Mimecast) and they do the filtering.

So what happens if an important email gets caught in the filter and marked as spam? Does it send it to another folder you can check?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Gozinbulx posted:

Yes absolutely, I was responding more to the "why would you do it". I thought it was pretty standard to have a junk mail folder that you would check in case something that was important was marked as spam but maybe not.

So what happens if an important email gets caught in the filter and marked as spam? Does it send it to another folder you can check?
Depending on how you set up your own rules (FYI: you get to set the rules up yourself) it gets
  • Quarantined, and you can recover it from The Cloud/your spam filter appliance if necessary
  • Flagged as spam but allowed in anyway, maybe with [SPAM] added to the title
  • Sent in a bulk digest at the end of the week/day/month to the user as described earlier
  • Deleted forever

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

Gozinbulx posted:

Maybe I'm not explaining it well but you know how Gmail has a spam folder? If you were supposed to get something and don't receive it, you check the spam folder quickly to see if it got caught. That's what I want. No logging into a separate system, no waiting for a wrap up email at the end of the day. Outlook has a junk email folder built it. I want to actually use it.

Comparing to Gmail, they use Postini (or they used to not sure if they still do) to block obvious spam messages/phishing/virus/etc. then anything that gets passed that but still looks sort of suspicious will be placed in your spam folder. So there are things sent to your Gmail account that never reach you, and in fact you have no way to see what these messages were. For the most part you don't care because it's usually obvious spam/virus/etc.

Exchange solutions also use a spam filter (appliance or hosted) to do the same thing postini does to block the obvious stuff. Exchange/Outlook will then use a spam confidence level (SCL) to determine whether or not a message should be put in the junk mail folder or not. It's basically the same setup, however you have visibility and some manner of control into what is actually being blocked at the highest level.

I think the bigger thing here is to know that you can and should configure your spam filter so that messages that are super important get through. This is where whitelisting comes in handy.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Will Styles posted:

Comparing to Gmail, they use Postini (or they used to not sure if they still do) to block obvious spam messages/phishing/virus/etc. then anything that gets passed that but still looks sort of suspicious will be placed in your spam folder. So there are things sent to your Gmail account that never reach you, and in fact you have no way to see what these messages were. For the most part you don't care because it's usually obvious spam/virus/etc.

Exchange solutions also use a spam filter (appliance or hosted) to do the same thing postini does to block the obvious stuff. Exchange/Outlook will then use a spam confidence level (SCL) to determine whether or not a message should be put in the junk mail folder or not. It's basically the same setup, however you have visibility and some manner of control into what is actually being blocked at the highest level.

I think the bigger thing here is to know that you can and should configure your spam filter so that messages that are super important get through. This is where whitelisting comes in handy.

This is all very helpful, thank you.

About whitelisting though, unfortunately we work in a business where emails from unknown people come in all the time that we need to see, ie people who we've never received messages from before so we couldn't possibly have whitelisted them in the past.

I think the SCL mechanism you described is probably what I'm looking for. Thank you.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Gozinbulx posted:

Yeah pretty much what anthonypants said. You set it up how you want. MXLogic will categorize the email as phishing, spam, malware and you can decide what to do with each. Some users get very cranky at the thought of even one message being automatically deleted, so we usually don't do that (but it's an option). There are digest emails that can go out or you can get a spam report as they happen. Depending on the user and the solution, the user can log in and release the message or block it, add the sender to a blacklist/whitelist. You can set it so they see the report but aren't able to do anything, they need to request it be released.

There are usually tons and tons of options. Since they do the filtering (this can include outgoing, checking for PII like an SSN or a credit card number, for example) we consider any mail that comes through from them to be 'clean' and don't worry about filtering on our end.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

AutoArgus posted:

Mailbox syncing before you got dirsync up? This could get reaaaaally interesting is the account matching doesn't line up perfectly (assuming I read it right that you've already started). If your guys make new hires account manually I would recommend you set your sync interval to 30 min at shortest to lessen the chance of an incomplete account locking the UPN and having to change it manually later, have run into a few places get bit by that. On that note you'll save yourself alot of headaches if you can make everyone's UPN and primary SMTP match.

I didn't get to building the dirsync server today, but I did spend a lot of time looking at adding a upn and organizing AD for that step. The mailbox sync is done, and shared public folders are next. I am really frustrated with this project as we usually have a detailed plan and understand mostly everything in advance. Now I'm confused about decommissioning the last on-prem exchange server. Some places say you need to keep it and some say you don't once you get dirsync up and running.

It really doesn't help the o365 partner were working with is being hands off as gently caress about this, "Try googling," "Oh no don't do that it's too complex and troublesome to do!", I may just tell them to gently caress off and find someone else to use and start over.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005
This is the kind of thing you want to take the time to plan out before you start moving things. Usually if you intend to use dirsync that's done before mailboxes are created/users migrated.

Good luck though.

Internet Explorer posted:

If your boss is that dumb find a new job.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

ghostinmyshell posted:

I am currently in the process of shifting 100 people to Azure AD SSO with O365 E3 this weekend (buzzwords)! I've been planning and testing for the past two weeks.

First thing to read, https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/active-directory-aadconnect-get-started-custom/

What I can say is don't go looking for the DirDync tool. Just utilize Azure AD Connect in this documentation. It's accomplishes the same thing. But I found that AAD Connect utility is way better at not loving up. And Microsoft said this is what they will be supporting going forward, instead of DirSync. (If some of you goons are already on DirSync, there are instructions to upgrade)

Some gotchyas I ran into:

1. If you are on a .local domain, don't bother trying to rename the domain. Add a UPN for the actual domain name, and change login names to their email addresses. It's going to suck at the beginning because no one is going to know how to sign in. Just make sure you communicate the changes and time lines to all of your users sooner rather than later. Make these changes BEFORE turning on sync. You will see why in #2.

2. If you are going for SSO by synchronizing your AD, don't setup O365 accounts first. It's a real bitch to get accounts synced after you created them. YMMV but I just gave up and started from scratch by deleting all of the O365 accounts. Luckily I hadn't got as far as importing emails. Since it looks like you have migrated emails, here is a useful link on how to get accounts to sync. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2643629

3. It shouldn't have taken me as long to figure out, but you set Exchange Online email addresses for the user in the proxyAddresses attribute in local Active Directory.

If I think of anything else, I'll post it.

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009

ghostinmyshell posted:

I didn't get to building the dirsync server today, but I did spend a lot of time looking at adding a upn and organizing AD for that step. The mailbox sync is done, and shared public folders are next. I am really frustrated with this project as we usually have a detailed plan and understand mostly everything in advance. Now I'm confused about decommissioning the last on-prem exchange server. Some places say you need to keep it and some say you don't once you get dirsync up and running.

It really doesn't help the o365 partner were working with is being hands off as gently caress about this, "Try googling," "Oh no don't do that it's too complex and troublesome to do!", I may just tell them to gently caress off and find someone else to use and start over.

On the exchange server, those articles may be talking about hybrid mailflow kinds of situations, or the management tools (synchronized accounts have to have the majority of management done to them in local AD). If you don't mind using attribute editor and your dns records are all pointing at o365 you don't need it.

As for the public folders: be prepared for the migration process to either go perfectly the first time or split your rear end in a top hat wide open (especially if you ever had PF's before 2007). I'd bet money you'll have an easier time just copying every PST into fileshares or shared mailboxes. May take a bit but way less likely to end in suffering ( PF migrations, especially mail enabled ones just have a tremendous tendency to gently caress up in new and exciting barely documented ways)

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009

Beefstorm posted:

What I can say is don't go looking for the DirDync tool. Just utilize Azure AD Connect in this documentation. It's accomplishes the same thing. But I found that AAD Connect utility is way better at not loving up. And Microsoft said this is what they will be supporting going forward, instead of DirSync. (If some of you goons are already on DirSync, there are instructions to upgrade)

1. If you are on a .local domain, don't bother trying to rename the domain. Add a UPN for the actual domain name, and change login names to their email addresses. It's going to suck at the beginning because no one is going to know how to sign in. Just make sure you communicate the changes and time lines to all of your users sooner rather than later. Make these changes BEFORE turning on sync. You will see why in #2.

2. If you are going for SSO by synchronizing your AD, don't setup O365 accounts first. It's a real bitch to get accounts synced after you created them. YMMV but I just gave up and started from scratch by deleting all of the O365 accounts. Luckily I hadn't got as far as importing emails. Since it looks like you have migrated emails, here is a useful link on how to get accounts to sync. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2643629

These three points are very true and likely the most relevant to you, especially #2. SMTP matching might get it right but my experience is that it doesn't often enough to be trusted. When it gets it wrong and you notice, you end up having to do a bunch of manual cleanup and likely fix UPNs by hand in powershell (once a UPN is set in o365 it won't update it automatically except for very specific one time only circumstances). When you don't notice the fuckup, you end up with users emailing the duplicate account and then someone getting upset that they're missing mail.

Dirsync isn't getting any more patches btw, and AD connect is where all new features are going. It's smoother and offers more prebuilt customizations as well.

Short short version of how you typically want to approach 365 rollouts: deploy whatever you're doing to manage Identity (AD connect), then authentication (password sync/ADFS/some 3rd party thing like Okta), then the actual features on the tenant (Exchange online). Each of these relies on the thing before it being healthy to work, and going back to redo a lower layer can be painful and often poorly documented sometimes.

If your partner is telling you to Google this stuff and staying out, I'd look for a diff partner. You might even get more mileage out of the Onboarding Center at that rate. Hell depending on size MS might even pay for consulting time for you.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Beefstorm posted:

I am currently in the process of shifting 100 people to Azure AD SSO with O365 E3 this weekend (buzzwords)! I've been planning and testing for the past two weeks.

First thing to read, https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/active-directory-aadconnect-get-started-custom/

3. It shouldn't have taken me as long to figure out, but you set Exchange Online email addresses for the user in the proxyAddresses attribute in local Active Directory.

If I think of anything else, I'll post it.

And when setting email addresses, SMTP: is the primary, smtp: are aliases.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Does MS have actual detailed release notes for O365 and the Office Suite?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Swink posted:

detailed release notes

You must be new here.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

:catstare:

At least I know our DAG failover works due to the massive spanning tree issue this morning that hosed up our core switch uplink ports to the vmware switch stack!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Has 365 been hosed in Europe (more than it usually is) for anyone else?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy
Update from the deployment. Authentication setup through AAD worked and the O365 software went out, with a few glitches. It was overall a pretty good deployment I thought.

Now I get to setup the Exchange portion...

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
We are in the middle of an Office365 deployment here, and while I've got a pretty good handle on the hybrid Exchange portion of it I've got a question about AADSync.

We had a user who was presented with a password expiration prompt when logging in to Office365, even though their AD password wasn't expired yet. Whatever, our integration partner didn't set the password expiration value correctly in our tenant, so we upped that from 90 to 120 days so at least the two expire together.

It did allow him to 'reset' his password from the Office365 login page though, so he's in the weird situation of having a different password in our local AD than Office365 has - even after another AAD sync ran. Is this fix for this to do some Azure AD Basic magic so that we can write-back password changes into our local AD, or is there an option to turn off password resets via Office365, so you have to reset it in local AD like we've always done?

We don't have a very mobile workforce, so the latter's not a bad option for us. Not sure how much work is involved in the former.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you're using an AD account synced into O365 you shouldn't be having a password expire or be able to change it online.

If you want password write back from O365 to AD then you need Azure AD Premium.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

AutoArgus posted:

Short short version of how you typically want to approach 365 rollouts: deploy whatever you're doing to manage Identity (AD connect), then authentication (password sync/ADFS/some 3rd party thing like Okta), then the actual features on the tenant (Exchange online). Each of these relies on the thing before it being healthy to work, and going back to redo a lower layer can be painful and often poorly documented sometimes.

For what it's worth, Okta manages identity as well. It also provisions via the API. It is the proverbial poo poo and Okta + Migrationwiz made our migration utterly painless. We have a .local domain and did not need to modify UPNs at all.

Workflow for my helpdesk is they drop an AD account into an AD group named after the O365 license level, fill out the email address field in AD, and it automatically provisions and licenses the user in O365. Then we automated the entire new hire process using Service Now.

devmd01 posted:

:catstare:

At least I know our DAG failover works due to the massive spanning tree issue this morning that hosed up our core switch uplink ports to the vmware switch stack!

Fun prank: label three pigs 1,2, and 4 and release them in your school! Or databases...

KS fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 17, 2016

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Now for a question: are there any effective ways to get the GAL visible as contacts for mobile users? Yes, both IOS and Android do GAL searches now in contacts, but it is slower and doesn't work for incoming calls.

Stuff I've seen out there as a proposed solution that seems kludgy:

-Doing weekly copies of the GAL to folders within each individual user's contacts via powershell. Challenge: doesn't scale well, and while it's easy to get name/phone/email it's tougher to get complete contact details and pictures.
-Share a contacts folder from a central account. Challenge: users have to manually add it and it becomes tribal knowledge for new hires.
-Creating a separate account with all company contacts in it and instruct users to add it to their phones. Challenge: this sucks.

Happy to pay money for an awesome solution if someone's solved it with software.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Thanks Ants posted:

If you're using an AD account synced into O365 you shouldn't be having a password expire or be able to change it online.

If you want password write back from O365 to AD then you need Azure AD Premium.

Huh. Yeah I see that I can't change my password via O365, but I watched him do it so I know he's not crazy. He's even updated his local AD password now to attempt to get them back in sync but the O365 password he set before is still in effect. Just forced a delta sync with
code:
DirectorySyncClientCmd.exe delta
and it doesn't look like it processed any changes for his user.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Obvious question: on the user page of the portal, does that user show as "In cloud" or "Synced with Active Directory"? Any differences from your other users there?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

CEO says: "I think one of the admins is spying on my email"

What can I put in place, and what can I check, to see if this is the case?

Exchange on prem.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Exchange on prem.
There's a non-owner mailbox access report in OWA under 'Manage my Organization' -> Auditing, but mailbox auditing has to be on for the target mailbox

If the CEO gave his password to someone else you'd have to search AD logs for logins from non-CEO assets which would be a bigger pain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Exchange on prem.

That is the access you give them to your network, yes. Generally privacy agreements are made and signed off on. As stated above there are reports you can pull, but auditing needs to be enabled.

edit: I guess depending on the legislation applicable to you, this could also be illegal.