Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

MD2020 posted:

But how,are you at the game of human chess?

Not very good i'm afraid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

greene was a natural who could have been good if he dropped everything and focused on wrestling but he would have been a moron to make that decision

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
When I was a teen in the 90s, I thought Mongo was the greatest and he was my favorite horseman.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

fart blood posted:

When I was a teen in the 90s, I thought Mongo was the greatest and he was my favorite horseman.

On one hand he wasn't Arn, Flair, Benoit, or Malenko

On the other hand, Flair, Arn, Benoit, or Maleonko barely actually did any actual Horseman type business, so that's forgivable,.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Where's Mongo's Hall of Fame ring dammit!?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

ayn rand hand job posted:

On one hand he wasn't Arn, Flair, Benoit, or Malenko

On the other hand, Flair, Arn, Benoit, or Maleonko barely actually did any actual Horseman type business, so that's forgivable,.

How do you define "Horseman type business?" Holding up four fingers during promos? Looking imposing and nodding while Flair does all the talking?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

yelling really loud and partying

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

ecavalli posted:

How do you define "Horseman type business?" Holding up four fingers during promos? Looking imposing and nodding while Flair does all the talking?

Bankrupting Jim Crockett Promotions with excessive partying and ruining shows by showing up too hung over (except Flair could put on 5 star matches even after partying)

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
I'm still flabbergasted that Mongo used a Tombstone as his finisher.
And that so many people took it from him.

Of all the guys in the business at the time he would have definitely been in the bottom 3 of dudes I'd want to trust my neck to.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Shiki Dan posted:

I'm still flabbergasted that Mongo used a Tombstone as his finisher.
And that so many people took it from him.

Of all the guys in the business at the time he would have definitely been in the bottom 3 of dudes I'd want to trust my neck to.

Mongo was legit strong as gently caress, he wasn't going to drop you.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
IIRC Mongo also made his Tombstone really safe by holding his opponent too high.

Mongo's matches were kinda interesting insofar as they weren't your typical monster squash. His offense was terrible, so he actually sold more and took a lot more offense than you would expect before making the comeback and crushing his opponent with a few moves. All the Observer quotes I've read make it out like every Mongo match was on the level of Sid vs. Nightstalker. He was bad, but not that bad.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Honestly I think Mongo is more famous for being routinely hated on by Meltzer in a promotion where you have plenty of things to hate on.

quote:

Mongo was carried out on a stretcher. Unfortunately, they didn't take him to a wrestling school.

{Steve McMichael} was rumored to be earning in the $350,000 range when he was announcing, haven't heard any word on what he's making to wrestle - or whatever it is they call what he does.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 10, 2016

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm surprised Mongo even took the WCW gig when he could've made a decent living on his own in Chicago since he was part of the '85 Bears.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

IIRC Mongo also made his Tombstone really safe by holding his opponent too high.

Mongo's matches were kinda interesting insofar as they weren't your typical monster squash. His offense was terrible, so he actually sold more and took a lot more offense than you would expect before making the comeback and crushing his opponent with a few moves. All the Observer quotes I've read make it out like every Mongo match was on the level of Sid vs. Nightstalker. He was bad, but not that bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gamFHXAvFN4

I tried to find more examples but Youtube is just giving me matches where he loses or its a DQ finish because WCW.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone have the video of Mongo guest refereeing an indie match while wasted out of his head?

UpfrontSalmon
Nov 4, 2011

I prefer the term "Battle FROG."

Say Nothing posted:

Anyone have the video of Mongo guest refereeing an indie match while wasted out of his head?

rude thing to say about TNA

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

a retard posted:

I'm surprised Mongo even took the WCW gig when he could've made a decent living on his own in Chicago since he was part of the '85 Bears.

I watched Mongo eat hot dogs with Walter Payton's daughter on Chicago local programming thirty years after his heyday and it was awesome.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
this is just to say

I have buried
the wrestlers
that were in
your midcard

and which
you might have been
saving
for the future

forgive me
they were so delicious
ohhhhhhhhhh
brother
-WCW

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Mongo on Ric Flair's podcast is a must if you wanna hear what he's been up to.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The only thing I think when I hear Mongo is "HE'S GOT A BICYCLE!"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

coconono posted:

Mongo on Ric Flair's podcast is a must if you wanna hear what he's been up to.

Similarly Raven on Jericho's podcast a few months ago had some great Mongo stories.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Ric Flair has a podcast?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

fatherdog posted:

this is just to say

I have buried
the wrestlers
that were in
your midcard

and which
you might have been
saving
for the future

forgive me
they were so delicious
ohhhhhhhhhh
brother
-WCW

so much depends
upon

head book
russo

self booked world
champion

beside the white
supremacists

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Happy belated Valentines day everyone

http://wcwworldwide.tumblr.com/post/139314157004/wcwnwo-valentines-day-cards-2000-happy

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

1st AD posted:

Bankrupting Jim Crockett Promotions with excessive partying and ruining shows by showing up too hung over (except Flair could put on 5 star matches even after partying)

Hey now, to be fair Dusty did more to bankrupt Jim Crockett than the Horsemen did. They just bankrupted themselves.

Halloween Jack posted:

Mongo was loving terrible at everything, but he had a lot of presence and energy and, like Sid, certainly tried his best out there. But goddamn, putting him on TV where people could see him wrestle was such a bad idea.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

CombineThresher posted:

Hey now, to be fair Dusty did more to bankrupt Jim Crockett than the Horsemen did. They just bankrupted themselves.

Mongo was loving terrible at everything, but he had a lot of presence and energy and, like Sid, certainly tried his best out there. But goddamn, putting him on TV where people could see him wrestle was such a bad idea.

I always liked Mongo. I cannot explain why. I haven't gone back to watch old Nitros for PTSD purposes but I used to think "man this guy can't wrestle for poo poo but he's a pretty good promo!". I have no idea if this is true or not.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Akileese posted:

I always liked Mongo. I cannot explain why. I haven't gone back to watch old Nitros for PTSD purposes but I used to think "man this guy can't wrestle for poo poo but he's a pretty good promo!". I have no idea if this is true or not.

I never saw Mongo at the time but he does have something. He carries himself like the works biggest dickhead, and he's not great at talking but he can get what he needs to say in a promo across.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Mongo carried himself like a star, and that goes a long way.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

triplexpac posted:

Mongo carried himself like a star, and that goes a long way.

Bingo. More than one person has talked in the Nitro chats that if Mongo were even just servicable as a worker, he'd have been a unironically great Horseman. As it is I don't consider him a lovely one, and the foreshadowing of him becoming one was PERFECT.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Sid was awesome, mongo was not.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Mongo had star power and he tried, dammit, but he was just too old and too green.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Mongo wasn't a good worker, but he understood how to. Had he started in wrestling at 28 instead of 38 he'd have had a great shot at being a huge star.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I feel like we're really starting to overestimate the abilities of a guy who was basically Jim Duggan in a suit

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mongo was responsible for one of my favorite moments in WCW, when I was so loving mad that the horsemen were going to do the job to football players at GAB '96.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

I feel like we're really starting to overestimate the abilities of a guy who was basically Jim Duggan in a suit

I feel like you're really mad you couldn't meet Mongo's Challenge.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

oatgan posted:

If Jim Duggan were to show up on Raw, he'd be the most over guy on the show.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Great White Hope posted:

If Jim Duggan were to show up on Raw, he'd be the most over guy on the show.

If Duggan showed up on Impact or ROH, he'd be the most over guy on the show

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

I feel like you're really mad you couldn't meet Mongo's Challenge.

i don't like jalapeņos!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Mongo had a hot wife, too bad he sucked and then she left and got beaten up by Austin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Chris James 2 posted:

If Duggan showed up on Impact or ROH, he'd be the most over guy on the show

Hell, maybe even Lucha Underground.