Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Moridin920 posted:

It's not appropriate to use the word 'oval office' to describe someone who lies to people and exploits their grief about dead relatives/friends in order to scam them into some kind of 'psychic reading' in order to profit and have a TV show?

"oval office" is a slur, just like "friend of the family" or "kike." It's not really interchangeable with "rear end in a top hat," "scumbag," or whatever word you want to describe someone like cold reading-scam artists. Or try using "friend of the family" next time to describe someone like the Long Island Medium, and see how well that goes over, I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Bobbie Wickham posted:

"oval office" is a slur, just like "friend of the family" or "kike." It's not really interchangeable with "rear end in a top hat," "scumbag," or whatever word you want to describe someone like cold reading-scam artists. Or try using "friend of the family" next time to describe someone like the Long Island Medium, and see how well that goes over, I dunno.

do you think Bobbie Wickham has ever said the "n" word?

oh, yeah i guess xhey have....

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Bobbie Wickham posted:

uhhhhhhhhhhhhh no it's not

at least not in the rest of the world

what the gently caress kind of slur could it be anyways?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I imagine some people interpret it as a slur against women but lol that someone took even five seconds out of their worthless life to report a four letter word.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Tusen Takk posted:

uhhhhhhhhhhhhh no it's not

at least not in the rest of the world

what the gently caress kind of slur could it be anyways?

It's a slur that denigrates women, just like "kike" denigrates Jewish people or "friend of the family" denigrates blacks. When you use a word like that, you're reducing someone to a single characteristic that signals that they have little or no worth, based on their gender, religion, or skin color. This isn't something new that came about from Tumblr in the last year.

I mean, I get that in much of the English-speaking world, it's a catch-all term on the level of calling someone an rear end in a top hat. At the same time, it's an ugly word with a nasty history and it's pretty offensive when it's used as a slur. If you're going to use it on an American-based message board, and it's been explained why it's offensive/taboo, and you have the power of the Internet to explore the history and loaded meaning of the word, go nuts, but understand why people bristle at your use of that word.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
oval office

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Bobbie Wickham posted:

It's a slur that denigrates women, just like "kike" denigrates Jewish people or "friend of the family" denigrates blacks. When you use a word like that, you're reducing someone to a single characteristic that signals that they have little or no worth, based on their gender, religion, or skin color. This isn't something new that came about from Tumblr in the last year.

I mean, I get that in much of the English-speaking world, it's a catch-all term on the level of calling someone an rear end in a top hat. At the same time, it's an ugly word with a nasty history and it's pretty offensive when it's used as a slur. If you're going to use it on an American-based message board, and it's been explained why it's offensive/taboo, and you have the power of the Internet to explore the history and loaded meaning of the word, go nuts, but understand why people bristle at your use of that word.

"American-based message board"

Lol. Check ur geographic privilege

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

#triggered

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Bobbie Wickham posted:

I get that, which is why I understand why it's more taboo in the USA than other standard insults like rear end in a top hat or whatever. I myself don't particularly like to use it or other similar slurs referring to a group of people - I hate to say 'I've been jewed' for example. But, why is 'oval office' so much worse than 'pussy' or 'retard' which is flung about all the time? Or even calling someone a vagina or telling them to sack up?

If you say those words/phrases are also sexist I don't necessarily disagree but I'm talking about consistent enforcement of rules.

quote:

At the same time, it's an ugly word with a nasty history and it's pretty offensive when it's used as a slur.

You kinda lose me there though. What history does 'oval office' have really? I mean yeah it's a storied insult but it has no history other than that afaik. It was never used as a tool of dehumanization in order to justify slavery for example.

e: also fwiw the Oxford Dictionary of Slang: "2-A foolish or despicable person, female or male" and in fact apparently it is more common in the UK/Australia to refer to men as cunts vs women.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 18, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

"It's been used as a tool to subjugate women (in the United States! Kind of!"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I mean again whatever if that's the price we pay to have a decent mod that's fine it's just kinda funny to me is all.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Oi, that feckin oval office nicked me mobile! I swear on me mum, I'll ave is ead in!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

If we identify as non-American and don't use it with females is it fair game?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

What do we do with a lustful Duggar

Early in the morning

Send him away so the cash can still flow

Sieg heil TLC

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Moridin920 posted:

I mean again whatever if that's the price we pay to have a decent mod that's fine it's just kinda funny to me is all.

Hey you're out of probation purgatory.

Cont . Cont cont congratulations

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
RIP this thread

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
ooh here come the mods to shut us down because we're questioning The Way Things Are - GBS is at it again!

relax man there's nothing new to talk about re Duggar who cares if there's a sidebar for a page?

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just want this thread to be about general TLC bashing, and not about language. :negative:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I just want this thread to be about general TLC bashing, and not about language. :negative:

We should just break down and start a new TLC MegaThread and leave the Duggar thread to itself imo

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

PathAsc posted:

Early in the morning

Sieg heil TLC

Put him in the hold with his father's daughter

Early in the morning

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Bim Jobbed again.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Jack Gladney posted:

Early in the morning

Way hey the Jim Bob rises

Early in the morning

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Wait, I can't call someone an rear end in a top hat on SA? Go back to EN

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Just say "cunny" when referring specifically to women and "oval office" when referring to men to avoid confusion.

It's not hard to figure out fellas. Americans have de-stigmatized all of our big swear words except oval office. Let us have this one thing, you cunts.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Where I come from it's nearly a term of endearment. You call people you hate "mate" and your mates "oval office". It's also used mainly as a descriptor for men, strangely enough. Like "pussy" I guess, but you can call someone a good oval office whereas we don't really call someone a good pussy, that is something a woman has rather than is.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

America is arse backwards, water is wet

More at 11

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

at least one American gets it

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Shithouse Dave posted:

Where I come from it's nearly a term of endearment. You call people you hate "mate" and your mates "oval office". It's also used mainly as a descriptor for men, strangely enough. Like "pussy" I guess, but you can call someone a good oval office whereas we don't really call someone a good pussy, that is something a woman has rather than is.

Here in America, black people get to(?) call each other "friend of the family*" all the time, and use the same justification.

It doesn't mean it's okay or that anyone should do it. Because feelings.

It's the same situation with non-Americans and "oval office."

*Jim Bob uses "Tangent," a fifth level priest spell, which deflects message board conversation away from his family!*

*It's super effective!*

*spelling or pronouncing it with an A doesn't fool anyone.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP4f1seE6wY

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I have literally never heard someone use the word pussy in a nice way but that being said my grandmother wasn't in my life so who knows

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I thought Mordrin was dead?

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

cumshitter posted:

I imagine some people interpret it as a slur against women but lol that someone took even five seconds out of their worthless life to report a four letter word.

Welcome to General Bullshit: WGBS Channel 4.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
Jim Bob

Jim Bob To The END

Til the duggar can duggar no more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFhG5unY6Zk

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Tumblr is leaking into the thread

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Religion makes you more moral.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/02/teen-victims-say-duggar-pastor-preyed-on-rape-survivors-who-sought-his-help-its-just-evil/

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
bill gothard is an enormous homosexual, i guarantee it. 81 never married tremendously obsessed with sex

he likely regards his habits of slap-and-tickle with the ladies as anti gay therapy

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Do you think Josh is wearing a permanent chasity cock belt right now, and only Jim Bob has the key?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

happyhippy posted:

Do you think Josh is wearing a permanent chasity cock belt right now, and only Jim Bob has the key?

Looking forward to the book-length version of this story on amazon's kindle erotica section. "My Quiverfull Jim Forced Me Bob!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jack Gladney posted:

Looking forward to the book-length version of this story on amazon's kindle erotica section. "My Quiverfull Jim Forced Me Bob!"

This poo poo is tiresome.

• Locked thread