Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Frosted Flake posted:

How sustainable is that? It's a broad question, but it seems like this philosophy hurts workers, companies and the economy as a whole, albeit over differing timeframes.

Here you go, OP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOP2V_np2c0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Like how this thread turned into some real talk fast, maybe because of my post. Either way you guys speaking the truth. Amen

otend
Jan 18, 2016

Happy Bear Suit posted:

5 guys burgers and fries is going to be the next bubble

where i live they are all of a sudden popping up everywhere all over the place. $35 burger meals for 2 isnt gonna be a thing for very long.

theyre gonna go the way of krispy kreme, calling it right now.

closer to $25 for 2 here. note: if you get an order of fries for each person, you are doing something wrong somewhere

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

otend posted:

closer to $25 for 2 here. note: if you get an order of fries for each person, you are doing something wrong somewhere

Or you are the average obese American

otend
Jan 18, 2016

vyst posted:

Or you are the average obese American

i am the average obese american, and even i can't fit a burger and small order of fries into me.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

otend posted:

i am the average obese american, and even i can't fit a burger and small order of fries into me.

This is scrub tier obesity yo

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Probably one of those lightweight "technically obese"

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Moridin920 posted:

3 months ago

it was actually super disappointing given the price and overall quality of the food. Like the food was okay (but not quite as good as I remember BK being) but gently caress off for $14 (burger fries and drink) I can eat at a restaurant. I'll give them another chance next year maybe but idk my faith was shaken.

Oh also last month I had McDonald's and liked that they had the pick 2 for 2 (because I usually just get 2 McDoubles n fries anyway) but then I went back last week and it was gone and I ended up paying what I felt like was an outrageous amount of money given the food I got.

In n Out is way cheaper than both and way better in terms of taste and overall quality of ingredients than both.

what loving burger king do you go to where a burger fries and drink are $14?

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
It's not just 5 guys but there's a whole slew of "gourmet" fast food hamburger "bistros" popping up around that are all going to go down the shitter.

Burgers are forever but "fancy burgers" that aren't fancy is a dopey millennial "foodie" trend.

""

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

otend posted:

if AI/Polaris doesn't pan out, they're kinda boned

One thing about AMD sucking now is that its only partially their fault. Back when Intel was at the Netburst arch failure period (more MHz, hotter procs, less performance), they actually paid OEMs like Dell not to use AMD processors in the form of rebates on Intel processors. They gave massive discounts and undercut AMDs chances at snapping up market share. Then Intel got their act together, got the Israeli team responsible for Pentium M which was closer to Pentium 3 than 4 and released the Core arch. At that time, they got the ball again and AMD was left in the dust. I'm concerned what Intel will do to processor prices without a serious competitor in the desktop business segment.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Opening a swanky overpriced burger joint is just like a club. Keep a queue outside and you'll have droves of people lining up

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Moridin920 posted:

What the hell is the point of being a franchise then I could have just gotten In n Out ffs.

this is why fast food places are in serious trouble, btw. the only thing keeping them in business was being cheap and now they have to raise prices

i went to taco bell like 2 months ago wanting some trash food and i got 2 chalupas which, with a drink, ended up costing more than chipotle

edit:

reallivedinosaur posted:

It's not just 5 guys but there's a whole slew of "gourmet" fast food hamburger "bistros" popping up around that are all going to go down the shitter.

Burgers are forever but "fancy burgers" that aren't fancy is a dopey millennial "foodie" trend.

""
sorry if people like burgers made with actual meat instead of whatever mystery product mcdonalds makes their cheeseburgers from?

like i'm sorry if burgers made with things like vegetables and actual meat are too "gourmet" and "fancy" for you

Business Gorillas has a new favorite as of 05:03 on Feb 18, 2016

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't think that MCDonalds' meat is the problem, though its what other people seem to focus on in their complaints. Its that the toppings are crap. A real slice of tomato would go a long long way towards making people forget about how much less than a quarter of a pound of meat they are actually getting in their quarter pounder. As is, McDonalds has to load up on the (also disgusting) sauces in order to hide the sorry state of their lettuce, tomatoes and pickles.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

5guys is good and the one near me just got shakes and they let me put everything in it and it was good.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Cliff Racer posted:

I don't think that MCDonalds' meat is the problem, though its what other people seem to focus on in their complaints. Its that the toppings are crap. A real slice of tomato would go a long long way towards making people forget about how much less than a quarter of a pound of meat they are actually getting in their quarter pounder. As is, McDonalds has to load up on the (also disgusting) sauces in order to hide the sorry state of their lettuce, tomatoes and pickles.

McDonald's has tried burgers with a slice of tomato on them numerous times over the years and the result is not good. The burgers are already soggy and soft, so adding tomato just amplifies this too much.

Woden
May 6, 2006

TerryLennox posted:

One thing about AMD sucking now is that its only partially their fault. Back when Intel was at the Netburst arch failure period (more MHz, hotter procs, less performance), they actually paid OEMs like Dell not to use AMD processors in the form of rebates on Intel processors. They gave massive discounts and undercut AMDs chances at snapping up market share. Then Intel got their act together, got the Israeli team responsible for Pentium M which was closer to Pentium 3 than 4 and released the Core arch. At that time, they got the ball again and AMD was left in the dust. I'm concerned what Intel will do to processor prices without a serious competitor in the desktop business segment.

AMD got 1.25 billion out of that, an insanely low sum for the damage it did.

In that same time frame Intel tried to force a change to the lovely RDRAM which they owned a million shares of. Intel also tried to force a change to the lovely IA64 to lock out AMD from mainstream PCs.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
And now AMD is out of the desktop market, and there won't be anyone else. Who would put down for that kind of start up cost, when they'd be fighting Intel?

Woden
May 6, 2006

Johnny Aztec posted:

And now AMD is out of the desktop market, and there won't be anyone else. Who would put down for that kind of start up cost, when they'd be fighting Intel?

Desktops are dying, so Samsung, ARM and Google/Apple will just pull and end around like Intel/MS did to IBM and mainframes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Woden posted:

Desktops are dying, so Samsung, ARM and Google/Apple will just pull and end around like Intel/MS did to IBM and mainframes.

It's very doubtful that they're dying, but I think the desktop market will become more specialized and professional. Laptops and tablets are far better for everyday personal use, yes, but certain industries are going to demand stronger and more specialized computers that laptops just can't provide. Then you've got the PC gaming market, where the sheer size and openness in upgrading is a huge part of its strength.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Business Gorillas posted:

this is why fast food places are in serious trouble, btw. the only thing keeping them in business was being cheap and now they have to raise prices

i went to taco bell like 2 months ago wanting some trash food and i got 2 chalupas which, with a drink, ended up costing more than chipotle

Yea, I went to Wendy's for the first time in forever and the combo meal ended up costing me over 10 dollars. Last time I went to a burger fast food place. On the upside, pizza places are in some kind of crazy price war and you can get pizzas for like 5-6 dollars now.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

In other news Canadian transportation darling Bombardier got a giant bail out from the government then announced it was selling several billion dollars worth of airplanes to Air Canada and also laying off 7000 people over the next two years.

I don't know what the gently caress.

Between this and Crown lawyers semi-openly stealing money, yesterday was a very frustrating day for financial news in Canada.

Bombardier should just be sent a bill or told to hand over 51% of the company to the government. Canada is the land of tax-dollar-sucking leech companies.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
How the gently caress are yall paying so much for fast food

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

thathonkey posted:

average fast food meal here costs about 10 AUD. Between the fact that our dollar is about .70 USD on average, and the fact that wages here are much higher (even accounting for the difference in currency), it's not that bad.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I don't know how it is in the states, but I'd get a chubby chicken jalapeno burger with onion ring and rootbeer over anything at McDonald's Wendy's or Burger King. And yet, I keep hearing how they are domed because they are too big for their distribution network but too small to modify it.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

thathonkey posted:

If you want a combo meal and since idk like $7 at minimum? I usually get a large unsweetened tea so that adds a dollar or two to it.

Last time I went to BK the combos were probably reaching $8-9 which is how much Chipotle is for healthier, actual food

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

When I have to get BK I get two tendergrills and for a dinky piece of grilled chicken on a bread it's like $4.50 each

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Business Gorillas posted:

edit:

sorry if people like burgers made with actual meat instead of whatever mystery product mcdonalds makes their cheeseburgers from?

like i'm sorry if burgers made with things like vegetables and actual meat are too "gourmet" and "fancy" for you

It's the same ingredients and at least here in Canada, it's the same meat by law. The only thing fancy is the price. A lot of the blind McDonalds hate I think is just ole fashioned classism and depending who you're talking to, racism.

I don't think the market can support a few hundred 5 guys clones, and it's probably true since they only seem to stay open 3 to 6 months before being replace by a Burrito store (fancy Burritos is the new trend).

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

we had a nice thread where we reposted images of ladies posting themselves working out but someone in BYOB said it was creepy I guess and that was that

best goddamn thread in gbs

like the fat is beautiful thread it was too good for these forums

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
You know that McDonald's meat is def need because itd be way more expensive to serve any other kind of meat on an industrial scale. I remember in the 80s the common old wives tale was McDonald's using ground up worms and we always laughed because a patty worth of worms would go for 12 bucks at a live bait store.

Now, the quality of the beef is an entirely different subject.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Woden posted:

Desktops are dying,

Nope. Have you ever been in an office?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

bradzilla posted:

Nope. Have you ever been in an office?

Yah all the cool offices use a laptop-docking thing instead of a desktop

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Laptops and desktops are p much the same though, and literally every office on the planet uses them.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

At my office we have both! Laptops for each employee for email and stuff, and a big honking desktop for actual development work.

PCs aren't going anywhere any time soon, they still have their place.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

bradzilla posted:

Laptops and desktops are p much the same though, and literally every office on the planet uses them.

Desktops are cheaper

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

interwhat posted:

Chipotle is the Starbucks of fast food. It's "okay" and "not bad" and "at least it's not McDonalds right?" Also, "costs more, but you know you're getting what you paid for"- no, idiot, it's the same poo poo in a shiny wrapper, you sucker.

A McDouble for a 1.00 is getting what you paid for.

Sorry to bring this back from so long ago, but, for the record, Chipotle is McDonalds.

They were bought by McDonalds and even though they are their own seperate companies now, McDonalds is the reason they ever got so big. Everything Chipotle was, is, and probably ever will be is because of its direct and indirect ownership by McDonalds.

Edit: oops, got the timeline wrong. But yea, Chipotle is what is is because McDonalds bought it.

Two Feet From Bread has a new favorite as of 16:56 on Feb 18, 2016

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
People have been crying the death of the desktop for over a decade. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

we had a nice thread where we reposted images of ladies posting themselves working out but someone in BYOB said it was creepy I guess and that was that

best goddamn thread in gbs
Also some candyass mod there slapped everyone they could with 6 hour probations for "being creepy", loving what lol

Johnny Aztec posted:

People have been crying the death of the desktop for over a decade. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.
Anyone saying desktops are dying is an idiot

LethalGeek has a new favorite as of 17:10 on Feb 18, 2016

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
But desktops are the same as laptops except for being cheaper, easier to fix, and harder to steal. And why would that matter?

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
I guess some people think that the home market for PCs is somehow more significant than the business/educational market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
My company's CEO said a few years ago that we were done buying PCs. Everyone could just use Laptops or Surfaces.

We all laughed because we are a software company and lol if you think you can develop, QA, and support software using a tablet.