Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Do people here like Mike Tirico? I feel like he's really underrated as a PbP person. Not at the top of the list but he's well above average in everything he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Niwrad posted:

Do people here like Mike Tirico? I feel like he's really underrated as a PbP person. Not at the top of the list but he's well above average in everything he does.

He's solid all around.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Tirico's good. The main criticism against him is that he shouldn't be in that position due to the sexual harassment stuff he did several decades ago, and that depends on how far on the "never forgive never forget" tumblr scale you go.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Tirico's a good PBP guy, but more importantly, he's a perfect "straight man" foil to Gruden's wackiness. ESPN finally got it right with their MNF crew after floundering for years.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I got a question, were on Miller and Morgan actually any good? Because I watched a poo poo tonne of it in my time and they were my favorite but is that just rose tinted glasses?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

LordPants posted:

I got a question, were on Miller and Morgan actually any good? Because I watched a poo poo tonne of it in my time and they were my favorite but is that just rose tinted glasses?

Jon Miller has always been great. There's a reason Joe Morgan got an entire website named after him.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Benne posted:

Jon Miller has always been great. There's a reason Joe Morgan got an entire website named after him.

Miller/Dave Fleming is a reason to listen to SF Giants radio.

Morgan isn't.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Benne posted:

Tirico's a good PBP guy, but more importantly, he's a perfect "straight man" foil to Gruden's wackiness. ESPN finally got it right with their MNF crew after floundering for years.

Also Tirico always seems really well-prepared and knowledgeable, so when he offers opinions on stuff it carries some legitimacy and intelligence and I don't want to strangle him like I do every time Thom Brennaman opens his stupid mouth.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Sash! posted:

The dark times were the days of "how much time is left in the game" and you'd have to wait for them to put a little picture of the actual game clock from the stadium in the corner or "what down is it?" "I DON'T KNOW BUT I WOULD IF YOU drat KIDS WOULD SHUT UP FOR ONE MINUTE."
When NBC had the AFC package they were especially egregious with this and admittedly did so on purpose. If you didn't know the score you would sit and watch the game commercials on NBC longer and they were partially right. If John Elway was blowing the doors off of Stan Humphries you'd be lucky if you saw the score once or twice each quarter and if you blinked you missed it. I think NBC had to contractually show the score at the end of the quarters but after that if they wanted to keep you in the dark about the score or time left, by gum they would. The amount of the blowout was directly correlated to the amount of times the score and time left would appear during the game. You were reminded of a close game repeatedly, a laugher... meh, not as much if at all.

FOX kinda of ruined that trend with the FOXBOX heads up scoreboard and later the sports score crawl which is funny because my Dad would watch a game he didn't care about on Fox just so he could know the score of the NBC game he was interested in. It wasn't until NBC got back into the game with SNF when NBC's long standing tradition of never showing the score was finally laid to rest for good.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 15, 2016

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Now they give you too much info. I don't need the down and distance on the screen in two places!

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
NBC kept the score bug off Notre Dame football way after everyone else was using it too

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's going to be a sad day when Al Michaels stops doing NFL games. There's maybe 2-3 tolerable NFL pbp guys anymore.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Harlock posted:

It's going to be a sad day when Al Michaels stops doing NFL games. There's maybe 2-3 tolerable NFL pbp guys anymore.

I'm much more annoyed with the color guys in general.

It is amazing who CBS and Fox think their top teams are though for sure. Like....why?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

The first time I remember seeing a continuous bug on NBC was during the XFL. And I don't think that was NBC's call

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Harlock posted:

Joe Buck is objectively one of the best pro football pbp announcers and it's abhorrent that this fact is true.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I'm annoyed that ESPN fades the score bar in and out during plays on MNF and it's like #85,313,495,105 on the list of things to be annoyed about but dammit I am.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

C. Everett Koop posted:

I'm annoyed that ESPN fades the score bar in and out during plays on MNF and it's like #85,313,495,105 on the list of things to be annoyed about but dammit I am.

ESPN seems obsessed with whooshy, glowy poo poo. When they started doing HD, it seemed like every graphic had to "whoosh" when it came up. It's like whoever is in charge of their graphics and sound effects is trying to keep themselves occupied.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

BasicFunk posted:

ESPN seems obsessed with whooshy, glowy poo poo. When they started doing HD, it seemed like every graphic had to "whoosh" when it came up. It's like whoever is in charge of their graphics and sound effects is trying to keep themselves occupied.

Why eat hamburger when you can have steak?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
TBH I kind of want people to start experimenting with no score bugs/graphics on sports broadcasts again.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Alain Post posted:

TBH I kind of want people to start experimenting with no score bugs/graphics on sports broadcasts again.

Given the trend towards very minimalist graphics packages, that Is very possible.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Spoeank posted:

Why eat hamburger when you can have steak?
Now give me another star-wipe

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

AsInHowe posted:

Given the trend towards very minimalist graphics packages, that Is very possible.

At least in football, I would really love for all screen graphics to disappear once the play starts. First down line and LOS line are fine since they're unobtrusive. Not that it happens often, but those bugs can cover up part of the play. Plus it's just nice for replays to have a clean screen.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Bird in a Blender posted:

At least in football, I would really love for all screen graphics to disappear once the play starts. First down line and LOS line are fine since they're unobtrusive. Not that it happens often, but those bugs can cover up part of the play. Plus it's just nice for replays to have a clean screen.

:agreed:

One of the only things that other industries can pick up from video games is UI design for on-screen stats.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Alternatively just make it a frame around the image or a bar at the bottom that is separate from the field camera and keep it there forever.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

One of the best Onion picture-only stories was "Televised sporting event completely obscured by on-screen graphics"

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Badfinger posted:

Joe Buck is objectively one of the best pro football pbp announcers and it's abhorrent that this fact is true.

I don't know whether he is getting better or I am getting Stockholm Syndrome but I am definitely hating him and Aikman less and less as time goes on.

Mostly because my hate is growing for Phil Simms and JEEHHM in equal proportions. One of the things I like about watching American football in the UK is that Sky & the BBC assume you actually care to be watching this and so have announcers who know what the gently caress they are talking about.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I am beyond ready for the "field goal range" line to go away

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Benne posted:

I am beyond ready for the "field goal range" line to go away

Why do you hate fun

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
the field goal line is a line for cowards

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I'm surprised Fox never tried the puck-with-a-trail trick for long passes in their NFL broadcasts.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Groucho Marxist posted:

the field goal line is a line for cowards

Ferentz punted from inside of it once with a strong wind at his back and it sent me into a deep existential crisis as an Iowa football fan that I didn't recover from until like halfway through last season

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I do much prefer "Can he kick the field goal" over "They're inside the line on the field from which their kicker has successfully kicked a field goal" but that just could be me.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

I'm surprised Fox never tried the puck-with-a-trail trick for long passes in their NFL broadcasts.

With the advances in player and ball tracking in soccer I'm surprised this hasn't made any kind of comeback in the US big 4. It wouldn't need to be ugly and intrusive but surely it's a lot cheaper and easier to put RF tags in pucks, balls, jerseys, or whatever now than in 1995. Soccer has stuff like goal line technology, distance covered, average speed, stuff like that.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
The NFL should just cut out the middle man and make the ball itself light up like a christmas tree

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Play games in the dark with light up jerseys and footballs.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Play games in the dark with light up jerseys and footballs.

Baylor's halfway there with their basketball unis.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ElwoodCuse posted:

With the advances in player and ball tracking in soccer I'm surprised this hasn't made any kind of comeback in the US big 4. It wouldn't need to be ugly and intrusive but surely it's a lot cheaper and easier to put RF tags in pucks, balls, jerseys, or whatever now than in 1995. Soccer has stuff like goal line technology, distance covered, average speed, stuff like that.

Not until they can make it look like them DBZ gifs in real time.

My issue with the field goal line is that it's labeled.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jim Ross will be calling boxing for CBS Sports Network :bahgawd:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The CBS Sports app has started making the CBS Sports Network streamable only on Optimum so far, so those of you who watch it can now watch it on the go again, only on Optimum so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Jim Ross calling a sport that consists solely of close fist blows is nothing short of amazing.