Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Vizio bought my m series back due to light bleed. was nice getting a check 23 months after i bought it for the purchase amount.

It didn't have light bleed until it hit and shattered a glass coffee table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gurney
Feb 17, 2016

by Shine
I picked up the Vizio e series 50 inch 1080p tv a few weeks ago for $450 as a gaming display for my PC. I'm happy with the product (astounded in fact at how much more gaming is enjoyable on a bigger display compared to a 24 inch monitor), but I'm still within the return window and I'm wondering if at this point I should have put that money towards a 4K set.

Also, this Vizio is advertised as having an "effective" refresh rate of 120hz. Does this have any meaning whatsoever for gaming?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Got a trip report on the new Samsung 4k player. Its what I expected, but there was one big disappointment I didn't anticipate. I have an 4k e-shift projector, so there is some improvement to the picture but it isn't a true 4k display. I can say that its slightly sharper with less ringing around contrast edges. There is, however, some digital graininess in some of the dark scenes. I don't know if this is due to things being new.

The disappointment to me was I thought I would be able to pass 10 bit color, but I came to the harsh realization that the 10 bit is reserved for the new HDR wide gamut (correct me if I'm wrong), so if you don't have that, you are stuck with 8 bit, just like regular Blu-ray. The upside for me is that I can actually play these discs on my setup, so it allows me to build a library before I upgrade my projector, which will be at least a couple of years.

The AVS forums are a noisy mess right now with mixed results with HDR, I think some of them are trying to use deep color, which is legacy blu ray (which never was implemented), or some are trying to use the wrong black levels and are fighting the whole thing with gamma controls as it seems standard calibration methods are thrown out the window with HDR. I don't know if this is the AVS being total spergs or if there is an actual problem that needs to be flushed out, but from reading the forums over there the consensus is that the new format launch is a mess and people are waiting for Sony titles to come out to see if there is a difference.

My rating for now: "Yeah I guess this is cool." But I suppose i'll have to see it on an actual 4k chips and HDR. I'll be using a standard dynamic range 4k set to test this with in coming weeks.

Edit: I spent some time on a second title and I've got to say I'm liking it better. The picture is just more clean. The limitations of compression and some of the smoothing that has been applied to your typical Blu-ray are gone, people don't look like plastic like they would on a Blu-ray. Dark details are good and any banding from the 8 bit has a nice dither to it so it is less noticeable since the source is 10 bit.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 17, 2016

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

mediaphage posted:

Having said that, i'll join in. I have a decade+ old EDTV (854x480) plasma that the old homeowners left behind; it still works pretty great. i keep it at the end of my loft with an apple TV on it, and it works well; far enough away that honestly content looks great on it, though anything with a lot of text is mediocre (and the black levels are super not great in the daytime).

I'm still using a 42" Panasonic EDTV plasma from 2005, with about 30,000 viewing hours on it. It does a great job downconverting HD, standard DVDs look good on it, and it has a wide viewing angle for everybody in the room. Then again it did cost me 2 grand at the time.

I want something bigger but I'm waiting for OLED to fall to my price point, or for plasma to make a magical comeback. I wish some niche manufacturer bought out Panasonic's plasma product line and kept selling it under a different brand.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 17, 2016

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I just got a PS4, but my current TV is an old-rear end 32" Dynex 720p, so I'm looking to upgrade.

Looking for a 32-40" 1080p HDTV, primarily for gaming, ideally below $400-450 but the budget is flexible as long as the TV is quality.

gurney
Feb 17, 2016

by Shine
vizio e series

gurney
Feb 17, 2016

by Shine
I'm curious about something. A lot of TV's are rated as having a 120hz refresh rate (per rtings.com). This may sound stupid but that does mean they can take a 120hz source as input right? If not then what's the point of the 120hz refresh rate? I'm hearing (maybe in this thread?) that only the Vizio P series can take a 120hz source as input and reflect that on the screen. :confused:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

gurney posted:

I'm curious about something. A lot of TV's are rated as having a 120hz refresh rate (per rtings.com). This may sound stupid but that does mean they can take a 120hz source as input right? If not then what's the point of the 120hz refresh rate? I'm hearing (maybe in this thread?) that only the Vizio P series can take a 120hz source as input and reflect that on the screen. :confused:

The refresh rate of the panel has nothing to do with inputs. There are only a few tv's that can take a 120hz input. There is a hisense and the vizio p series. Not sure of others.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I honestly don't know if this is a topic that can fuel its own thread or not, so I'll bring it up here since it would have the most overlap: I've been on antenna for the last 7-8 years. Content and reception has been hit and miss. I've had various antennas (homemade and storebought)

Now that I'm seeing some converter boxes are out there with limited DVR functions, does anyone have any recommendations on them? From what I can tell, a great number of them seem to all operate with only saving recorded video as very large files.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

gurney posted:

120 is used as the refresh because it's a magical number that is divisible by 24, 30, 60 etc so it doesn't matter what standard input framerate you put in, it'll still scale nicely. In Europe we'd see a fair amount of panels that would boast 600hz refresh, simply because this adds 25 and 50 to the mix as well, which is kinda important over here.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
My TV will actually change refresh rates if the source asks it to. If I feed it 24p it uses 48hz and puts up a black frame every other cycle to simulate flicker from a projector. It sounds annoying but it makes watching movies feel better.

sesh
Aug 19, 2010

Is this the thread to watch for deals or is there something else i should be aware of

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You can watch this thread for deals but unless it's oled don't expect too much. People won't post about the lovely Vizio 40" tvs getting 35 dollars off at random internet retailer.

sesh
Aug 19, 2010

Is there any possibility of the 2016 oleds having decent input lag or are they all going to be stuck at 50ms forever

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Any firsthand impressions of the Samsung UN32J5003 or UN32J6300?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

sesh posted:

Is there any possibility of the 2016 oleds having decent input lag or are they all going to be stuck at 50ms forever
How is 50ms that bad? TVs considered "good" for gaming a few years ago were in the 100-120 range. 50 milliseconds is fewer than 2 frames and given that human reaction time is 250ms it won't be your TV's fault if you get pwned. Plus a lot of those ones with super low lag game modes wash out the picture to do it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I notice Best Buy have the 9500 and 9600 LG 65" screen at the same price (and with the same mark down from RRP). Is this usual to be selling them both side by side with very little to show they're different models other than scouring for the model number? Or am I missing something and the two models are equivalents? Seems a bit skeezy, maybe that's to be expected from big box stores hoping people don't know better? (It's this, isn't it).

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

One is pretty clearly curved and the other isn't?

Or, I guess not...

Some dude on CL here is claiming new in box 65" 9500s for 3800. I wonder if the markdown has started to make room for the 2016s..

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah my bad I thought there were legit differences between them other than the curved nature. Apologies to the thread and to Best Buy for besmirching their good name (given that's probably where my next set is coming from due to Amazon horror stories it's probably for the best they're more trustworthy than I initially thought).

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I believe the ef9500 (flat) had hdmi 2.0a and the eg9600 does not, if you're looking for a not obvious difference as well

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
What are these "Amazon Horror Stories?" I have a Samsung UN50J6300 on the way now, since Best Buy didn't have it (nor anywhere else local).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Stuff can get damaged in shipping

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah shipping problems and damage get brought up a lot.

Over here they once sent me a hard disk in one of those flimsy things they use for books. It didn't even survive 24 hours. You'd think the biggest shop on the planet would've nailed protective shipping by now.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Don Lapre posted:

Vizio bought my m series back due to light bleed. was nice getting a check 23 months after i bought it for the purchase amount.

I had a 61" Samsung DLP. Developed spotting inside the screen (looked like droplets of some liquid that had hit the inside of the screen during construction and slowly accumulated dust over three years). Told me to take it to Best Buy for replacement. Told them the nearest Best Buy was ~700 miles away, by boat or plane only. Sent me a check for $2100. Sold TV to a friend for $500 or something.

It was the greatest moment of my life. Extended warranties do occasionally pay off.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

55" EF9500 is 2299 from Adorama, free ship no tax (unless in NY state).

Pretty good price if you've gotta have flat OLED.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAP...true&rmvSB=true

Also sales:

Samsung 65JS9000 for 2200, 55JS9000 for 1500 and Sony XBR-65X810C for 1200.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 20, 2016

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

JediTalentAgent posted:

I honestly don't know if this is a topic that can fuel its own thread or not, so I'll bring it up here since it would have the most overlap: I've been on antenna for the last 7-8 years. Content and reception has been hit and miss. I've had various antennas (homemade and storebought)

Now that I'm seeing some converter boxes are out there with limited DVR functions, does anyone have any recommendations on them? From what I can tell, a great number of them seem to all operate with only saving recorded video as very large files.

Long story short if you want the best user experience and/or watch shows that change airtimes erratically, get a TiVo OTA Roamio with a lifetime subscription. Depending on whether you buy it used (lifetime sub is tied to device so you can freely buy one off CL/ebay) or refurb or new, it'll run you something like $300-500.

Otherwise, you can pick up a Tablo for around $200. You'll still need a EPG sub.

You can also go the DIY route and use an HD Homerun with a computer running a backend software, but this is not for non-tech savvy folks. You'll need a separate EPG sub as well.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I have a 2009 manufactured Toshiba 52xv645u that won't power on (hitting the power button gives you nothing, not even clicks).

I pulled the back off, power board has no visible damage, no scorch marks, no blown capacitors etc. my roommate used an ohmmeter to check the fuses which appear ok. That's about the limit of our electrical knowledge. At this point is it safe to assume it's not worth loving with?

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
So I got referenced here from the monitors thread because I honestly didn't see that this one existed. Just trying to find a good screen.

Presently I'm gaming with my PS4 but I'm using a 22in Asus monitor. It's a wonderful piece of kit for me when ever I'm mobile or lazy, but I'm thinking I want to move up to like a real rear end TV size. I'm thinking my Cost range will be from 300-400 at the most hopefully. It's a PS4 so I doubt I'll ever need to go above 1080p. I really really want a display that can do colors really well as well as not be to "over bright". What I mean by that is my ASUS always seems way to bright, in games and stuff when setting contrast it's almost always the case that I can see both halves of whatever it's comparing for "if you can see this turn down the contrast/brightness!"

I honestly and truly have no idea where to start. I know what I want I think, but I keep finding like super new models and I really don't think those are going to be what I want. I would rather not pay extra for smart features or whatever new hotness if I don't have to. I've never owned a TV in my life and have spent my last 6 years I think with this monitor so I'm just sort of overwhelmed with trying to identify what it is I really need.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice, I really need it and do appreciate it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Whichever size Vizio E-series is in your budget would be the best bet. Looks like the E43-C2 inch is $350 from Amazon or the E48-C2 is $400 at Best Buy (not available on Amazon). You might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere as it'll probably be going on clearance shortly.

You won't find a good TV without smart TV features, so move past that. You don't have to use them if you don't want.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Whichever size Vizio E-series is in your budget would be the best bet. Looks like the E43-C2 inch is $350 from Amazon or the E48-C2 is $400 at Best Buy (not available on Amazon). You might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere as it'll probably be going on clearance shortly.

You won't find a good TV without smart TV features, so move past that. You don't have to use them if you don't want.

That line of TV looks like it was made for my use. Thank you! My only question is how bad is the response time? I think my monitor is like sub 2ms, will it just take some adjusting?

gurney
Feb 17, 2016

by Shine

Moochewmoo posted:

That line of TV looks like it was made for my use. Thank you! My only question is how bad is the response time? I think my monitor is like sub 2ms, will it just take some adjusting?

I'm not a competitive gamer, but I do play SC2 and BF4 and I didn't really notice a huge spike in the response time. I think rtings.com has it at 29 ms and they recommend this series as good for gaming.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Samsung UN50J6300 arrived from Amazon today and was in one piece. Looks great so far.

In agreement with the reviews I found the "sports" button is useless as are a lot of other built in features.

Definitely need a new Home Theater or receiver/speakers/dvd player package to replace my old Sony Bravia system.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

gurney posted:

I'm not a competitive gamer, but I do play SC2 and BF4 and I didn't really notice a huge spike in the response time. I think rtings.com has it at 29 ms and they recommend this series as good for gaming.

Okay cool. If it's good enough for those two, I strongly doubt I'll notice on ps4.

I measured out how big 48 inches of screen space is. Mother of God this is gonna be cool.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Endless Mike posted:

How's the E-Series with regards to streaming movies and tv shows from PC? I'm looking to get a new TV that will be hooked to my computer, and while I'll no doubt be gaming on it (simply out of convenience), it will mostly be intended for watching HD movies and shows from my computer (via Kodi, etc.) over HDMI.

Great-looking video over HDMI from my PC is the most important goal in my search for a new television. Gaming is secondary.

I'd love some recommendations. I'm hoping to spend somewhere around $500-$600 to meet the above usage. :ohdear:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 24, 2016

gurney
Feb 17, 2016

by Shine

Moochewmoo posted:

Okay cool. If it's good enough for those two, I strongly doubt I'll notice on ps4.

I measured out how big 48 inches of screen space is. Mother of God this is gonna be cool.

You'll be happy with your product. Heads up though, I had to return the first set I got(bought it from Amazon) as it was damaged in shipping. Supposedly this happens a lot with TV's bought from Amazon.

gurney
Feb 17, 2016

by Shine

Alehkhs posted:

How's the E-Series with regards to streaming movies and tv shows from PC? I'm looking to get a new TV that will be hooked to my computer, and while I'll no doubt be gaming on it (simply out of convenience), it will mostly be intended for watching HD movies and shows from my computer (via Kodi, etc.) over HDMI.

Great-looking video over HDMI from my PC is the most important goal in my search for a new television. Gaming is secondary.

I'd love some recommendations. I'm hoping to spend somewhere around $500-$600 to meet the above usage. :ohdear:

As an E series owner, this is something I haven't figured out yet. Stuff looks decent on the native "smart tv" apps (netflix, amazon), but if I play a 1080p video through youtube, it looks faded and washed out and not as good as on a 1080p phone. I'd like someone to chime in on this as I have a lot of stuff to stream from my computer as well. No complaints about gaming and other internet usage though.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

Slowhanded posted:

Long story short if you want the best user experience and/or watch shows that change airtimes erratically, get a TiVo OTA Roamio with a lifetime subscription. Depending on whether you buy it used (lifetime sub is tied to device so you can freely buy one off CL/ebay) or refurb or new, it'll run you something like $300-500.

Otherwise, you can pick up a Tablo for around $200. You'll still need a EPG sub.

You can also go the DIY route and use an HD Homerun with a computer running a backend software, but this is not for non-tech savvy folks. You'll need a separate EPG sub as well.

I picked up a 4 tuner tablo for my wife for Christmas and overall it's pretty drat good. They are functional with chromecast but if the stream pixelates it will pause the stream for a half a second instead of playing through it, but on the Nexus Player it's extremely responsive and just seems to work. It's slightly annoying that you have to wait for the channel guide to load first when opening live tv, but it's mainly a DVR anyways.

Probably the biggest change over the Roamio is that it just sits on your network and works on any main media player, anywhere while with the Roamio you have to buy TiVo mini's just for that purpose. Both have pretty good remote access, I can bring up streams when in hotels and such. Also, you CAN use it without any subscription at all, you just lose the ability to subscribe to a show and let the tablo handle it for you. Without any sub you get 24 hour guide data and you just set time/date recordings for what you want.

With lifetime it's an extra 150 on top of the cost of the box, and the price of a hard drive; all-in with lifetime sub is about 400 bucks. I was worried about "only" getting a 1tb for it but at the regular 5mbit encoding it stores a metric poo poo ton of videos (about 500 hours).

Next-Gen fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 25, 2016

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

gurney posted:

As an E series owner, this is something I haven't figured out yet. Stuff looks decent on the native "smart tv" apps (netflix, amazon), but if I play a 1080p video through youtube, it looks faded and washed out and not as good as on a 1080p phone. I'd like someone to chime in on this as I have a lot of stuff to stream from my computer as well. No complaints about gaming and other internet usage though.

You will need to change your input level to limited on the TV or change your output on the computer to full. This is assuming you are outputting in RGB. YCrCb or YCbCr (I forget) is also another output option for high bit depth video. Either way you need to check your input level on the TV. I forgot what Vizio calls it.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
So I have this medicore and awful Samsung Smart TV (seriously, Smart TVs suck) and I recently bought an hdmi cable to use with it going from my pc. It's 1080p, supposedly. But it still behaves strangely, I have a program that runs in a 1080p window but it is way too big for the tv screen and only fits if I set the program to 720p, looks fine on my PCs 1080p monitor. Anyone experienced anything similar? The tv claims to be in 1080p and so does windows, so no idea what it is going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Torabi posted:

So I have this medicore and awful Samsung Smart TV (seriously, Smart TVs suck) and I recently bought an hdmi cable to use with it going from my pc. It's 1080p, supposedly. But it still behaves strangely, I have a program that runs in a 1080p window but it is way too big for the tv screen and only fits if I set the program to 720p, looks fine on my PCs 1080p monitor. Anyone experienced anything similar? The tv claims to be in 1080p and so does windows, so no idea what it is going on.

Is, for some reason, the "Zoom" function on your TV on? Make sure it's set to "native' or something similar.