Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Dejan Bimble posted:

Is there an audience for Bill Simmons pop culture website? This is precisely the wrong place to ask, but do any of you care to read that stuff? Do The Bachelor recaps draw traffic?
i like the pop culture stuff fine enough. andy greenwald is smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah a lot of people didn't seem to like him but I thought Andy Greenwald was a good TV writer

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Alex Pappademas had some great pieces for Grantland. I especially loved his writing on comic books, like his history of Doctor Strange, or why Cyclops is the best.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Benne posted:

I am embarrassed for my employer right now

SB Nation, or ESPN?

Anyway, I read that SB Nation article, and it was predictably utter trash. Classic victim erasure, classic humanizing of a predator, lots of focus on how hard it is for Holtzclaw's family. Most of the (very sparse) mentions of the victims were accompanied by asides about how the women were streetwalkers or otherwise "troubled". How the hell it saw the light of day is beyond me.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I can't imagine what the editors at SB Nation were thinking, especially since they've been pushing their "It's On Us" campaign on addressing sexual violence for quite a while now.

EDIT: Apology is up.
http://www.sbnation.com/2016/2/17/11038614/a-note-from-the-editorial-director

HMS Beagle fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 18, 2016

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
What's the over/under on how many SBN employees end up fired over this?

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

HMS Beagle posted:

I can't imagine what the editors at SB Nation were thinking, especially since they've been pushing their "It's On Us" campaign on addressing sexual violence for quite a while now.

EDIT: Apology is up.
http://www.sbnation.com/2016/2/17/11038614/a-note-from-the-editorial-director

For funzies, compare this action to the delayed, defensive non-apology that came from Grantland's own Bill Simmons after they published a story where their writer outed a trans woman to her backers who then killed herself.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
How the gently caress did that piece even go up if senior editors were rejecting it :psyduck:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Benne posted:

How the gently caress did that piece even go up if senior editors were rejecting it :psyduck:
That "complete breakdown" of the editorial process must have been something to see.

Also, someone (or more than one) is definitely losing their job over this.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Benne posted:

I'm more curious how a story like that even got the green light to be reported on. I can only imagine an out and out fabrication by the author in order to get them to even look at his piece. It's truly nauseating to read.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Kalli posted:

Also apparently Whitlock and Shaun King had a twitter... meltdown? freakout? what the hell do you even call something with stuff like this in the middle:
I used to love Whitlock (it is well documented) but my man has lost his goddamn mind in the last year. When he left Fox Sports 2 years ago he had by far my favorite podcast, favorite twitter feed, and I could tolerate his articles even though I rolled my eyes so hard it hurt at probably 30% of them. Since then he has just gone off the deep end. I wish he could just get his Real Talk podcast back and quit all this other bullshit he is doing. Stay your lane my man.

I don't know much about Shaun King but he seems like a grade A nutjob also based on my very limited exposure to him (although his Michael Brown reporting was excellent)

No winners here but I know I am a loser for reading both their twitter feeds for 10 minutes trying to figure out what was going on.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Kalli posted:

Also apparently Whitlock and Shaun King had a twitter... meltdown? freakout? what the hell do you even call something with stuff like this in the middle:
It's always fun to see a situation in which everyone involved looks like an rear end in a top hat.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Shaun King's twitter is the best. I am pretty sure the highlight is "I'm done engaging Whitlock" followed by a minimum of 40 more tweets about him/on this subject over the course of the next 8 hours.

It is no small feat to make the current Whitlock look sane but goddamn if Shaun King did not accomplish it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I loved grant land . ESPN is very dumb.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Who was the author on the Holtzclaw piece?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Who was the author on the Holtzclaw piece?

Some freelance dude who covered Eastern Michigan football when Holtzclaw played there, which should've been the first red flag when this got pitched.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The thing that's so amazing about that Holtzclaw piece was that it wasn't just something thrown up in a hurry to try and catch some eyeballs, like so much of what gets published at places like Gawker and Vox and Buzzfeed and so on - it was a longform article that had to have gone through multiple levels of editing and which had its own animated banner header graphic. It was clearly positioned to be a Prestige piece of Important writing. It wasn't just some editor clearing out their queue as they were rushing out the door or having to meet a deadline.

I'd be fascinated to know how many people signed off this thing being published.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FMguru posted:

The thing that's so amazing about that Holtzclaw piece was that it wasn't just something thrown up in a hurry to try and catch some eyeballs, like so much of what gets published at places like Gawker and Vox and Buzzfeed and so on - it was a longform article that had to have gone through multiple levels of editing and which had its own animated banner header graphic.
It was 12,000 words long. That article obviously took a long time to put together.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Gerund posted:

For funzies, compare this action to the delayed, defensive non-apology that came from Grantland's own Bill Simmons after they published a story where their writer outed a trans woman to her backers who then killed herself.

I have to say that this SBnation article was 10000 times worse than the Grantland article you refer to.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The other problem with the article is that it's loving horribly written. Just paragraph after paragraph of that insufferable purple prose you see from hacky "longform" pieces, where the author thinks "more words=deeper."

This shouldn't have been 5,000 words, let along 12,000. And that's even before you get into the offensive content.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Seems like a bunch of Yahoo poo poo just got the axe. Looks like sports is safe for now but I wonder how long.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

howe_sam posted:

Alex Pappademas had some great pieces for Grantland. I especially loved his writing on comic books, like his history of Doctor Strange, or why Cyclops is the best.

His "football" column early in Grantland's life was also amazing. He was probably my second favorite writer there after Phillips. Both of them are with MTV now though. I don't really have strong feelings one way or the other about anyone they've announced so far for The Ringer. I like Greenwald a lot as a podcast host but his columns are garbage.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I loving hate Brian Phillips.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Benne posted:

The other problem with the article is that it's loving horribly written. Just paragraph after paragraph of that insufferable purple prose you see from hacky "longform" pieces, where the author thinks "more words=deeper."

This shouldn't have been 5,000 words, let along 12,000. And that's even before you get into the offensive content.

The weird thing is it isn't like SBNation hasn't dealt with stuff like this before, and done it really well. The Mel Hall piece from a while back was great.

I mean I'm sure a lot of that is the quality of the writer, but some editing had to happen there too.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I didn't see it before it was nuked, but this excerpt makes it look like a failure of editing on multiple levels

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

morestuff posted:

I didn't see it before it was nuked, but this excerpt makes it look like a failure of editing on multiple levels

Benne please confirm if SBNation writers are paid by the comma.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Spoeank posted:

Benne please confirm if SBNation writers are paid by the comma.

I can promise this thread that when I'm working the copy editor shifts I crack down on this poo poo.

But I'm not important enough to edit the big longform pieces anyway, so.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Alain Post posted:

I loving hate Brian Phillips.

This is the worst opinion.

I've been glancing at MTV News since they got all those people and its layout is awful.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Henchman of Santa posted:

This is the worst opinion.

I've been glancing at MTV News since they got all those people and its layout is awful.

They're apparently changing it within the next month

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

morestuff posted:

Enjoy the whole thing: http://archive.is/O3Gub

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't get what the point of the piece was. Did he try to make this some kind of Making a Murderer type story to cash-in on that popularity? Was he trying to do a complex profile of the guy but is just really lovely at writing? Or was the whole thing an earnest attempt to portray him as innocent?

I mean it's Vox Media so standards shouldn't be super high but how the hell does such a poorly written piece make it through and get promoted?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Not being familiar with publication editing and publication processes, what is a general overview of how articles get published (in print too if possible)? I'd imagine quick turnaround stuff has an editor or two that looks at it and someone else handles approval by department, but for major longform stuff like that article, how many eyes actually hit the content before it goes live?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

GobiasIndustries posted:

Not being familiar with publication editing and publication processes, what is a general overview of how articles get published (in print too if possible)? I'd imagine quick turnaround stuff has an editor or two that looks at it and someone else handles approval by department, but for major longform stuff like that article, how many eyes actually hit the content before it goes live?

A dozen sets of eyes at a bare minimum. More than half are just proofreaders and copy editors with no voice on content, but the number of people about to get fired over this article (not counting the writer, who is a freelancer, or I should probably now say was a freelancer) is likely going to be more than 1.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

GobiasIndustries posted:

Not only would more than five (safe estimate) people have had to look at it in its final form, most major longform pieces are edited multiple times during production. This author didn't write 12,000 words and then turn it in, it had people looking at it throughout its entire development.

I imagine what happened went like this: "hey, I covered that rapist cop when he played in college, why don't you let me do a story about why so many people are defending him and believe he's innocent" Which 1.) is a legitimately interesting topic and 2.) A vocal minority in Oklahoma (I live here) actually believe he's innocent.

(Of course it should have been killed at "I covered him in college.")

Anyway, the writer was clearly not talented enough to produce what they were expecting, but someone high up probably loved the concept and the writer spent a LOT of time writing it (and was going to be paid regardless,) so there would have been a lot of pressure to just publish the goddamn thing.

How this happens somewhere as large as SBNation, I don't know.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

IMB posted:

I imagine what happened went like this: "hey, I covered that rapist cop when he played in college, why don't you let me do a story about why so many people are defending him and believe he's innocent" Which 1.) is a legitimately interesting topic and 2.) A vocal minority in Oklahoma (I live here) actually believe he's innocent.

It's not a legitimately interesting topic. So people close to the rapist can't believe he did it? That's not really news, or shocking, or anything to base a long-form piece on. And I'm not surprised that there is a vocal minority who believes he's innocent. I mean, there are groups of people that literally deny that rape is a thing. Of course there's going to be a group that thinks the black women he raped are lying (and they're probably racist and stupid and certainly not worthy of any sort of attention paid to them).

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
I don't know, the fall from grace of some former athlete turned cop turned rapist is an interesting story, but that's not what ended up being written. Never mind the fact that he was so small-time. It's one thing if it's Lawrence Taylor, but he was just some dude. It's still weird to me that it was commissioned, but it could have been an interesting story in the right hands.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
If that many senior staff objected to it, it had to be something like a super high up person with money insisted they do the story as a favor to the dumbass who wrote it and assured them it would not be that bad and all blow over. Except it wasn't and it didn't.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I promise "Its a sports version of "Making a Murderer"" was bandied about at some point.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Can we get Jason Whitlock and Shaun King's opinion on the article? I'd really like to find the motivation to go mental and suicide bomb or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

An interview here with the editor-in-chief of Simmons' new site:

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2016/02/17/sean-fennessey-ringer-exclusive-q?xid=si_social