Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Mans posted:

can't wait to turn the galaxy purple with the Xerxes 3000 battleship

They had slaves, but what would've happened if Persia had slavs???

There's a myth theory that Croatian people migrated to Europe in 7th century all the way from northern Persia. That's also the time that Sassanid Empire fell, just sayin'. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Jesus gently caress I thought the Magna Mundi section in the OP was fun fiction but boy howdy was I wrong. That whole situation must have been... special. To be a fly on the wall in Paradox's offices around then would have been weird ride.

Did he really call his basement Carnival of Lust?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Jesus gently caress I thought the Magna Mundi section in the OP was fun fiction but boy howdy was I wrong. That whole situation must have been... special. To be a fly on the wall in Paradox's offices around then would have been weird ride.

It got better/worse.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3526017&pagenumber=602&perpage=40#post437298461

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Because apparently I didn't respond to this at the time:

quote:

I think you'l find that Ubik actually owns that hospital now

:vince:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Okay what's this all abou :staredog:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Honestly to be fair to Ubik, wasn't it revealed that his family was basically complete and utter pieces of poo poo who forcibly committed him for whatever reasons?

E: Apparently, on the same page that was linked! :downs:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Yeah, this whole mess really just made me feel really sorry for Ubik. :smith:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Sky Shadowing posted:

Honestly to be fair to Ubik, wasn't it revealed that his family was basically complete and utter pieces of poo poo who forcibly committed him for whatever reasons?

As lovely as that may be, the fact that Ubik got FRAMED remains amusing.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

It does help explain how erratic he seemed in Magna Mundi/World Stage days... that kind of stuff going on in my personal life would break me. Poor guy.

I'm really excited to mod HoI4 to death.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Empress Theonora posted:

Yeah, this whole mess really just made me feel really sorry for Ubik. :smith:

Christ yeah. What lovely, lovely, lovely loving family.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Mans posted:

can't wait to turn the galaxy purple with the Xerxes 3000 battleship

They had slaves, but what would've happened if Persia had slavs???

I'm afraid that to learn this you will have to play Atilla Total war when the slavic faction pack drops.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Man, I really hope that they make a Total War type game for VR someday. I really want to be a super nerd and do the Testudo Formation from the comfort of my parent's basement.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Alikchi posted:

I'm really excited to mod HoI4 to death.
In anticipation of excessive HoI4 modding I've already built up a collection of something like 4500 images which can hopefully be used as leader/minister portraits for alternate/fictional countries. They should all be sufficiently hi-res enough, I think.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

In anticipation of excessive HoI4 modding I've already built up a collection of something like 4500 images which can hopefully be used as leader/minister portraits for alternate/fictional countries. They should all be sufficiently hi-res enough, I think.

Will they look good on a 4k monitor? :colbert:

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Ofaloaf posted:

That's one way of justifying your collection of Hitler portraits.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Assuming it works like EU4, the portraits are gonna be fixed sizes, they don't scale up with your resolution. I guess the leaders are a bit bigger, but I think for most of the generals in HOI4 they're still pretty tiny? You probably don't need very high res pictures.

I tried my hand at doing some advisor portraits for EU4 and they're just 77x77, it's more like pixel art than anything else really :goleft:

e: maybe it wouldn't be if I drew at a normal resolution and scaled it down like a sane person, I guess

Koramei fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 18, 2016

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Koramei posted:

You probably don't need very high res pictures.
For some nations that's pretty easy to do, but (for example) it was pretty hard to get a decent number of Native Hawaiian/Tahitian/Polynesian portrait-ish photos that could work for early 20th century ministers and leaders, especially ones large enough to work for the game. There's a lot of old websites out there with articles and photos about all sorts of peoples and eras and such, but they're formatted for screen resolutions from a decade ago so there's a lot of images like

out there, which if you cropped those faces down to something portrait-ish would probably be too small.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It's always gonna look at odds with the other portraits since it's a photo rather than a drawing (not to mention monocolour), cropping them so it isn't just their face wouldn't be that weird relatively I don't think.

Do we know roughly how many portraits there are per faction, by the way? Obviously for USA/Germany/Japan/UK/France/USSR there are gonna be way more, but for a generic country?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Koramei posted:

Assuming it works like EU4, the portraits are gonna be fixed sizes, they don't scale up with your resolution. I guess the leaders are a bit bigger, but I think for most of the generals in HOI4 they're still pretty tiny? You probably don't need very high res pictures.

I tried my hand at doing some advisor portraits for EU4 and they're just 77x77, it's more like pixel art than anything else really :goleft:

e: maybe it wouldn't be if I drew at a normal resolution and scaled it down like a sane person, I guess

Those are really nice though, I wonder if Paradox could be persuaded to release the originals.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Koramei posted:

It's always gonna look at odds with the other portraits since it's a photo rather than a drawing (not to mention monocolour), cropping them so it isn't just their face wouldn't be that weird relatively I don't think.
I was just figuring that I'd replace every portrait with monochrome photos, just to be consistent.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ofaloaf posted:

For some nations that's pretty easy to do, but (for example) it was pretty hard to get a decent number of Native Hawaiian/Tahitian/Polynesian portrait-ish photos that could work for early 20th century ministers and leaders, especially ones large enough to work for the game. There's a lot of old websites out there with articles and photos about all sorts of peoples and eras and such, but they're formatted for screen resolutions from a decade ago so there's a lot of images like

out there, which if you cropped those faces down to something portrait-ish would probably be too small.
You're clearly not looking hard enough. Here are all the Polynesian portraits you need:

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
So who would the leader of Fascist or Communist America be?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson, apparently.

I also see that the team behind the Stellaris AI is trying to make it stick as closly to the same rules as a human. Of course the computer does always have the advantage of controlling everything at once so it may not need any more of an edge.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Earl Browder/Norman Thomas for communists, Fritz Julius Kuhn i guess for fascists.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Schizotek posted:

So who would the leader of Fascist or Communist America be?
Going from Kaiserreich:

Fascist: Lindbergh, Father Coughlin... Huey Long if not killed?

Communist: Max Shachtman, William Z. Foster, Earl Browder?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I hope fascist America is led by the Business Plot conspirators.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson, apparently.

I also see that the team behind the Stellaris AI is trying to make it stick as closly to the same rules as a human. Of course the computer does always have the advantage of controlling everything at once so it may not need any more of an edge.

Yeah my #1 annoyance in 4X games is when the computer gets a bunch of free resources or just flat out ignores certain aspects of the game, especially when there's nothing telling you which rules it doesn't have to follow, since knowing that would at least give you an idea of which strategies for attacking the AI won't work when the rules of the game as written say they should.

It's totally fair to give the AI advantages on higher difficulty levels - I know they're usually bad at those kinds of games and need the help to be challenging. But at least offer ONE truly "fair" difficulty - even if it's the lowest one.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Sky Shadowing posted:

In fairness to his family, I believe the articles were summaries of interviews with Ubik, claiming his family and doctors were involved in a vast conspiracy to commit him against his will despite his being totally sane.

The guy was probably pretty disturbed, HOW disturbed we'll probably never know. :smith:

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I mean if using your computer too much is enough to make your family get you committed on what is, by any standard, pretty shady grounds.. well..

Let's just say I'm glad I don't have crazy Portuguese family.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Going from Kaiserreich:

Fascist: Lindbergh, Father Coughlin... Huey Long if not killed?

Communist: Max Shachtman, William Z. Foster, Earl Browder?
Lindbergh was a Paternal Autocrat head of state in HoI2/DH. Maybe he'll be the leader of the neutral US faction? Load that group up with America First figures and you'd have a pretty solid set of ministers to work with for that. Huey Long would also probably fit better as a neutral figure than an outright fascist one.*

If you want an outright fascist lineup, just stuff that group with Klansmen and members of the Bund and you're pretty well set. Scatter in Silvershirts for good measure.

*e: Except Long historically died in '35, of course.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 18, 2016

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

Lindbergh was a Paternal Autocrat head of state in HoI2/DH. Maybe he'll be the leader of the neutral US faction? Load that group up with America First figures and you'd have a pretty solid set of ministers to work with for that. Huey Long would also probably fit better as a neutral figure than an outright fascist one.*

If you want an outright fascist lineup, just stuff that group with Klansmen and members of the Bund and you're pretty well set. Scatter in Silvershirts for good measure.

*e: Except Long historically died in '35, of course.

Lindbergh was neutral in the same sense that American communists were neutral before the motherland was invaded.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
If it isn't place holder, they're bringing back some HOI2 music from what I've heard from the streams.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Wehraboo Falalalan or go home.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

paradox's finest

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ThePutty posted:

paradox's finest
:stonk:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Reminds me of FATAL

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Same Guy posted:

Just a better interpretation of reality

Don't think he understands what he is actually saying :stare:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Randarkman posted:

Reminds me of FATAL

When will Paradox finally model medieval women's historical propensity to getting raped?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

quote:

Manhood Length: 5.50 inches
Manhood Circumference: 5.00 inches
Tongue: 4.00 inches
Areola Diameter: 1.50 inches
Areola Hue: Medium
Nipple Length: 0.50 inches
Anal Circumference: 6 inches
Sexuality: Heterosexual
Debauchery Score: 84

Press any key to continue . . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Those guys are pretty much these guys.
https://vimeo.com/136010091