Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Asui sounds fine but for some reason I always imagined she'd be louder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Mineta and Asui are pretty much perfect.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Yeah I don't know how you could expect anything else for Tsuyu she's basically spot-on.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Bakugou is honestly probably a really terrible match for Stain. If only because more than most at the school Bakugou is exactly the type of hero Stain despises and would love to murder.

I'm not so sure, it seems like the type of hero he hates most is the cynical type that is only in it for the money. Bakugou is a weird case where he's in it because he wants to Be The Best. I mean, I'm sure Stain would still hate him, but I imagine that Stain would hate someone like Iida more (due to how he perceives Iida, not due to how Iida actually is).

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Stain hated Iida because revenge is a selfish motivation and Hero's aren't selfish. Bakugou on the other hand is hella selfish, I can't see Stain liking him at all.

The only student I can see Stain hating more would be Mineta, because he wants to be a hero just for the fame and to be cool. While Bakugou at least seems to have more noble ideals, even if he is a huge rear end in a top hat and never actually really acts noble. (Then again Stain is a crazy person who could probably come up with reasons to murder most people at the school not named Deku)

Edit:Actually Stain might dislike Uraraka just as much since money is her main motivation, even if she's doing it for her family. I doubt that'd be good enough for Stain.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 15, 2016

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Stain hated Iida because revenge is a selfish motivation and Hero's aren't selfish. Bakugou on the other hand is hella selfish, I can't see Stain liking him at all.

The only student I can see Stain hating more would be Mineta, because he wants to be a hero just for the fame and to be cool. While Bakugou at least seems to have more noble ideals, even if he is a huge rear end in a top hat and never actually really acts noble. (Then again Stain is a crazy person who could probably come up with reasons to murder most people at the school not named Deku)

Edit:Actually Stain might dislike Uraraka just as much since money is her main motivation, even if she's doing it for her family. I doubt that'd be good enough for Stain.

Yeah, I doubt most people are good enough for Stain. The dude has crazy high standards and generally doesn't know the inner workings of the people he judges - and I don't know if he even cares - so he goes off by what he sees on the surface.

Re: Bakugou

Bakugou and Todorki are at a major disadvantage currently because they do not want to set the forest on fire (more than it already is) so they have to rely on their basic physical abilities (which are admittedly good, but Todoroki has to carry a dude on his back) or Todorki's ice. So I could see them losing up against trained adults who have use of their powers.

That being said, Bakugou is probably the best among Class A in a fight, I'd say? He and Stain both appear to share an incredible battle sense (both Bakugou and Stain figured out Todoroki's weakness) as well as insane reflexes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That brings to mind one thing that has been bugging me for a bit about this series, that we haven't really seen anyone besides Deku and arguably Todoroki and Iida be in positions to do Heroic Things. I mean it's to be expected that a shounen comic is going to have a focus on fighting and training, but there has been no real opportunity to see how most of the students respond when in a situation where they need to save someone who isn't a classmate either from an accident or an attack. I'm hoping it's because we just haven't gotten to arcs where that becomes a thing yet, but it's a major bit of characterization that is still pretty lacking, and it's particularly relevant for Bakugou. It's probably a safe bet that if he had to stop someone attacking civilians he'd go straight for the attackers (which is the correct thing according to law enforcement), but would he be as effective and adaptable in something that isn't a fight? An arc with a disaster not directly involving villains would really help the series a lot, I think.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Yeah, I doubt most people are good enough for Stain. The dude has crazy high standards and generally doesn't know the inner workings of the people he judges - and I don't know if he even cares - so he goes off by what he sees on the surface.

Re: Bakugou

Bakugou and Todorki are at a major disadvantage currently because they do not want to set the forest on fire (more than it already is) so they have to rely on their basic physical abilities (which are admittedly good, but Todoroki has to carry a dude on his back) or Todorki's ice. So I could see them losing up against trained adults who have use of their powers.

That being said, Bakugou is probably the best among Class A in a fight, I'd say? He and Stain both appear to share an incredible battle sense (both Bakugou and Stain figured out Todoroki's weakness) as well as insane reflexes.
Speaking of Stain, I actually liked the bit of infighting between villains going on in this chapter.

It's exceedingly easy when writing this sort of story to view the bad guys less as characters, more as obstacles. The main guy and his immediate retinue might get some good coverage but everyone else kinda sorta just exists. As much as my heart overflows with love for Jojo Part 3, I can't deny that like 90% of the dudes the Joestars face were created solely to challenge them and have no other permanence, presence, or importance in that world. Most of them don't have motivations or life stories.

All this to say, the little spat between Spinner and Magne goes a long way towards humanizing them in a weird way. At the end of the day they're both probably just mooks who'll be defeated and forgotten about, but I like the little touch where Spinner's totally drinking the Kool-Aid he himself made while Magne's just here to knock some skulls in cause that's what he's into.

chumbler posted:

That brings to mind one thing that has been bugging me for a bit about this series, that we haven't really seen anyone besides Deku and arguably Todoroki and Iida be in positions to do Heroic Things. I mean it's to be expected that a shounen comic is going to have a focus on fighting and training, but there has been no real opportunity to see how most of the students respond when in a situation where they need to save someone who isn't a classmate either from an accident or an attack. I'm hoping it's because we just haven't gotten to arcs where that becomes a thing yet, but it's a major bit of characterization that is still pretty lacking, and it's particularly relevant for Bakugou. It's probably a safe bet that if he had to stop someone attacking civilians he'd go straight for the attackers (which is the correct thing according to law enforcement), but would he be as effective and adaptable in something that isn't a fight? An arc with a disaster not directly involving villains would really help the series a lot, I think.
I agree, and was kinda hoping this training arc would be just that - some time away from the main plot to focus one something else or someone else.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also we got the name of the Bad Guy Deku beat. Muscular.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

TriffTshngo posted:

Yeah I don't know how you could expect anything else for Tsuyu she's basically spot-on.

She sounds exactly like Suzy from Little Witch Academia (is she??) which is how she sounds in my head, so it's pretty much perfect.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DrSunshine posted:

She sounds exactly like Suzy from Little Witch Academia (is she??) which is how she sounds in my head, so it's pretty much perfect.

Tsuyu is voiced by Aoi Yuuki so no.

But yeah I like her voice. It fits perfectly.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
She sounds a little croaky, like she's got a frog in her throat. I could've toad you she would sound like that when I first saw her. I'm just glad the VA is willing to kermit to the part.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

LostRook posted:

She sounds a little croaky, like she's got a frog in her throat. I could've toad you she would sound like that when I first saw her. I'm just glad the VA is willing to kermit to the part.

Tsuyu's VA is as perfect as this post is.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

HellishWhiskers posted:

Tsuyu's VA is as perfect as this post is.

painful to experience?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

LostRook posted:

Those puns are villainous :cripes:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

Those puns are villainous :cripes:

I think they're a tad polished.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

chumbler posted:

I think they're a tad polished.

Now this is a good one.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
On the topic of Tsuyu and heroicness or Stain's definition thereof, Tsuyu actually fits that pretty well, based on what we've seen of her. I mean, we don't really know her motivations, but from what we've seen of her character, her evaluation when she was working with Tokoyami in the exams prior to this arc, and so on, she seems to be wanting to be a hero to help people and stuff basically.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Makes sense since his quirk is based off of blood type.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Uraraka is exactly the kind of person Stain would've considered a phony.

That's why I was slightly surprised that we didn't get a headfake where she ended up being the one who got attacked- it would clearly point out the weakness in Stain's philosophy and that he likely doesn't really do his homework on his targets anymore. I imagine Iida's brother is cool and all but we don't know poo poo about him other than what we see through Iida's perspective so while we feel bad for Iida because of how badly his loss hurts him we don't really know poo poo about Ingenium. We feel bad because Iida feels bad.

I mean, maybe he WAS into heroism for a shallow reason, like "Oh, my parents were heroes so I'll be one too I guess?". I don't know if that's quite egregious enough to have your spine carved out with a hunting knife but it's not All Might levels of pure heroism.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 15, 2016

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

chumbler posted:

Well remember that plenty of heroes have specialties so bakugou really has no need to ever worry about accidents if he just wants to beat down badguys. like would you expect a firefighter to stop a bank robbery?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I love the different classic comic fonts for the character names in the PVs.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Uraraka is exactly the kind of person Stain would've considered a phony.

That's why I was slightly surprised that we didn't get a headfake where she ended up being the one who got attacked- it would clearly point out the weakness in Stain's philosophy and that he likely doesn't really do his homework on his targets anymore. I imagine Iida's brother is cool and all but we don't know poo poo about him other than what we see through Iida's perspective so while we feel bad for Iida because of how badly his loss hurts him we don't really know poo poo about Ingenium. We feel bad because Iida feels bad.

I mean, maybe he WAS into heroism for a shallow reason, like "Oh, my parents were heroes so I'll be one too I guess?". I don't know if that's quite egregious enough to have your spine carved out with a hunting knife but it's not All Might levels of pure heroism.

I don't think we really need to have Stain attack existing characters to understand he's a crazy person whose philosophy is wrong when he is a literal serial killer. And yeah, i'm pretty sure Stain would attack any hero who was not on All Might's level of pure selflessness. Which is basically just All Might and Deku.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't think we really need to have Stain attack existing characters to understand he's a crazy person whose philosophy is wrong when he is a literal serial killer. And yeah, i'm pretty sure Stain would attack any hero who was not on All Might's level of pure selflessness. Which is basically just All Might and Deku.
Not necessarily but him attacking someone more characterized than Ingenium would've been helpful considering the whole point of what he spurs into motion is that the hero system is really hosed up underneath and that has created a whole movement of villains (well-intentioned or deranged or not) dedicated to tearing it all down- Horikoshi even went out of his way to point out that Stain tried doing the right thing for quite a while after he quit school in disgust by trying to convince anyone who would listen.

I kinda wish we could've seen what sent Stain over the edge really. His motivation and what caused his change (and who he targeted) is kind of important. It's the difference between him being a complete psychopathic serial killer who doesn't even really understand what he's killing people for, or he's this actually pretty tragic figure driven to murder by seeing too much behind the curtain and being rendered hopeless by society not giving a poo poo.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 15, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Not necessarily but him attacking someone more characterized than Ingenium would've been helpful considering the whole point of what he spurs into motion is that the hero system is really hosed up underneath and that has created a whole movement of villains (well-intentioned or deranged or not) dedicated to tearing it all down- Horikoshi even went out of his way to point out that Stain tried doing the right thing for quite a while after he quit school in disgust by trying to convince anyone who would listen.

I kinda wish we could've seen what sent Stain over the edge really. His motivation and what caused his change (and who he targeted) is kind of important. It's the difference between him being a complete psychopathic serial killer who doesn't even really understand what he's killing people for, or he's this actually pretty tragic figure driven to murder by seeing too much behind the curtain and being rendered hopeless by society not giving a poo poo.

Guy looked like he had most of his face burned off. I'm blaming Endeavour.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
Do you think Tokoyami sleeps with a night light on?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

UchihaHirou posted:

Do you think Tokoyami sleeps with a night light on?

Likely, but I do think that he's fine in the dark so long as he's not under severe stress like being attacked by a villain.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't think we've heard the last of stain anyways so there's still the chance that he'll come back and attack the wrong person like uraraka

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Korean scans for Hero Academia are up and the chapter is really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really good.

http://www.shencomics.com/archives/624512

And it finally puts an end to the stupid arm debate.

It's Shouji's arm.

A summary of the chapter in one page.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

It's Shouji's arm.

So it happened in a manner I described, except I said it as the only way it could be possible given the evidence and with what we saw of Shouji's powers they hadn't been used like that so I dismissed that as impossible. Okay then; I was wrong, and somehow managed to go over exactly what was actually right in my wrong arguments.

Also, the fight with gas dude went on longer than I thought it would; I figured he'd fail to hurt Tetsu^4 then get walloped, but they had a full fight there. Him getting his rear end kicked after all that was satisfying, too.

And then Shouji tricks mad!Tokoyami into crushing Moonfish or whatever his name was. Awesome. Also brutal; his teeth, even if they're weird extruded super-teeth, breaking like that is awful.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 18, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Korean scans for Hero Academia are up and the chapter is really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really good.

http://www.shencomics.com/archives/624512

It's Shouji's arm.

A summary of the chapter in one page.

Literally a Guts

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hope bird boy can handle a nocturnal schedule because if he can gain control over his shadow self that is really, really loving strong

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Kinda disappointed at everything but the tetsutetsu vs. gasmask fight really.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Man, the kid Shouto is carrying is missing one hell of a show.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Oh yeah, I guess the OP/ED bands are named.

OP: Porno Graffiti
ED: Brian the Sun

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

I know Porno Graffiti. Not Brain the Sun.

Anyway so Muscular, Moonfish and Gasmask are down. That 3 of my four predicted downed villains. That leaves Toga in combat with Tsuyu and Ochako. Spinner and Magne in Combat with Mandalay and Tiger. Dabi and Twice preparing more clones. And the new Nomu looking dude and Magician uncounted for. (Though one of the two likely encountered Momo's crew.) I predict that Nomu dude will be downed as well and the rest of the villains will escape.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 19, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Fabricated posted:

This is good poo poo

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Goddamn that was good. Hopefully Toga vs Frogravity will be next.

Can't wait for Deku to meet Ochako and yell "Oh my god, you've been stabbed!" while his arms dangle like undercooked spaghetti and meatballs

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Anyway so Muscular, Moonfish and Gasmask are down. That 3 of my four predicted downed villains. That leaves Toga in combat with Tsuyu and Ochako. Spinner and Magne in Combat with Mandalay and Tiger. Dabi and Twice preparing more clones. And the new Nomu looking dude and Magician uncounted for. (Though one of the two likely encountered Momo's crew.) I predict that Nomu dude will be downed as well and the rest of the villains will escape.
Please tag your spoilers when talking about stuff you've read ahead like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

MonsterEnvy posted:

I know Porno Graffiti. Not Brain the Sun.
I'm just relieved it wasn't the initial rumor which was Fripside. Talk about wrong tone.

Personally I would've preferred something like JAM Project, Man on a Mission, One OK Rock, etc. but I can't complain.

Here's something from Brian the Sun. Seems appropriate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkGoHxln6C0