Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
This show is like, perfectly made for hate-watching though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

In the next episode they will be visiting Portland

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Rocksicles posted:

Don't listen to this kook... he's a communist.

It's okay. I'll build a statue that's so loving awesome it destroys communism just by existing.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Didn't someone already try that?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

So, Al-Anon knows where the bad guy is and can get there easily. Has some reason been given for why he hasn't just gone there and killed him?

And what were the things that Amberly picked up? I thought they were more elf stones, but I guess not?

And what's with Will's "don't kill bad guys" attitude? That guy literally wanted to kill him and cut off his ears, and he's like "no, we can't kill him". What other option did you have? Let him go, so he can go back to his friends and they can all come after you?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Allanon knows where the Bad Druid is at, he was just protected by his henge. He took it down to sucker the two elf princes in close so they could deliver the evil sword to him.

Amberlee picked up some blue dice.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Tiggum posted:

So, Al-Anon knows where the bad guy is and can get there easily. Has some reason been given for why he hasn't just gone there and killed him?

I think the bad guy is still more powerful.

quote:

And what were the things that Amberly picked up? I thought they were more elf stones, but I guess not?

Dungeons and Dragons dice.

Like this

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

enraged_camel posted:

Dungeons and Dragons dice.

She's gonna be so jealous when she sees the flour filled lightning bolt bags Eritrea found

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

hollylolly posted:

Allanon knows where the Bad Druid is at, he was just protected by his henge. He took it down to sucker the two elf princes in close so they could deliver the evil sword to him.

Amberlee picked up some blue dice.

I think the henge just has an anti-druid barrier as long as the Elcrys lives. It keeps the evil dude stuck inside, but Allanon can't get in either. Goblin King was distracted and under the impression that Allanon was dead, so Allanon was able to use a force push to move everyone but Goblins and dead princes beyond the barrier.

The barrier doesn't prevent Allanon and Goblin King from magic mind fighting like they did through Seer Elf and at Druid Parliament. Now that Allanon has a new Druid Staff I'm not sure if he's Gandalf the White to Goblin King's Saruman, of if Goblin King is Sauron.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Amberle picking up some D&D dice (looked like a couple d10s and a d20 to me) because they reminded her of Wil's elfstones was hilarious.

Who wants to bet they'll have a callback to that where the dice get substituted for the stones at some point? :lol:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

WarLocke posted:

Amberle picking up some D&D dice (looked like a couple d10s and a d20 to me) because they reminded her of Wil's elfstones was hilarious.

Who wants to bet they'll have a callback to that where the dice get substituted for the stones at some point? :lol:

Honestly I'm kinda hoping it turns out the elfstones are just radioactive D&D dice that got melted a bit, and the finale is Amberle tossing her dice into some radioactive waste so she can have her own elf stones.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

DrProsek posted:

Honestly I'm kinda hoping it turns out the elfstones are just radioactive D&D dice that got melted a bit, and the finale is Amberle tossing her dice into some radioactive waste so she can have her own elf stones.

I almost posted that too, but there's no way the show would go that route. That's just too silly/whacky.

(But I still kind of want to see it happen)

e: And I find it way too entertaining seeing rubble and ruins of 'our' civilization and everyone treating it like holy relics. "They looked like they were having a party" said about a high school gym set up for Homecoming or whatever. loving hilarious.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 12, 2016

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
The high fantasy look of the characters and setting contrasted against the ruins of post-apocalyptic nuclear/information age ruins is actually super cool to see so it sucks that most of the show is just high fantasy landscape pans most of the time. Hopefully more of that pops up more as I assume they have to maybe look for a church in an old downtown area or something. It's actually a refreshing take on the "old elven ruins" schtick you see in a lot of high fantasy settings, it's a shame we've seen so little so far.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Sober posted:

The high fantasy look of the characters and setting contrasted against the ruins of post-apocalyptic nuclear/information age ruins is actually super cool to see so it sucks that most of the show is just high fantasy landscape pans most of the time. Hopefully more of that pops up more as I assume they have to maybe look for a church in an old downtown area or something. It's actually a refreshing take on the "old elven ruins" schtick you see in a lot of high fantasy settings, it's a shame we've seen so little so far.

I agree.

Part of me wants some element of the setting to be/incorporate a surviving super-AI somehow just to further the juxtaposition, but other parts of me think that would be really dumb. I'm conflicted! :smith:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sober posted:

Yeah, one of the main reasons I'm still watching is to see what they do with the ruins of civilisation angle.

someusername
Jan 26, 2015
loving elves with beards?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

someusername posted:

loving elves with beards?

Only the ones who die. Though clean shaven elves also die by the truck load.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sober posted:

The Shannara Chronicles drinking game would have stuff like Elven palace pan or elf redshirt guard gets killed.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If this entire show was produced just so we could see that scene with the teens booing Spock, it was worth it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

They visited Eugene, OR in the last episode.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The village of the Kirk-worshipping steampunk hipster gun nuts was so ridiculous it was by far my favorite episode of this show. I really want more episodes to focus on ridiculous stuff like that rather than LOTR ripoff stoylines.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I love how random artifacts that survived doomsday are. Rusted out slides here, fully intact party banners there, but not enough to in any way rebuild for some reason.

Hell, how the gently caress did a working projector and film reel make it?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

The village of the Kirk-worshipping steampunk hipster gun nuts was so ridiculous it was by far my favorite episode of this show. I really want more episodes to focus on ridiculous stuff like that rather than LOTR ripoff stoylines.

The best thing about it was:

Ty: We build machines and went to the stars!
Eritrea: I don't believe you...
Ty: Wanna see proof?
*puts on Star Trek*

A rare piece of brilliant writing in an otherwise average show.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

It took me half a second to realize they were booing Spock because they thought he was an elf. :lol::lol:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Chairman Capone posted:

Looks like a lot of people hated it but I sorta liked it a lot more enough it might be considered 'going against the grain'.

It still has a ton of problems and it's weird it's like episode 8 of 10; I kinda wish they got along here at like 4 or 5 or something earlier. This episode was sort of what I was expecting to show to be, except basically more than half of the show wasn't that at all, so this felt more like a pointless distraction than a genuinely fun adventure-of-the-week sort of thing. I think it definitely caught my attention even though lol dumb lumberjack hipsters and I kinda liked the whole EDM/dance floor party going there. But basically there's also no sinister undertone or build up to "we feed them a person every once a while" thing and it was more like the lovely leader trying to get in Eretria's pants for most of the run time.

Also trying to redeem noted mostly-off-screen-rapist Cephalo does nothing for me, especially with that hilarious noble last stand.

But yeah the rest of the show is like a huge LOTR ripoff despite the fact I've heard the books are less LOTR-ripoff-y as they go on but this isn't inspiring much confidence. I wish they just cut out the Arbalon scenes, as much as I like to see Manu Bennett.

hollylolly posted:

It took me half a second to realize they were booing Spock because they thought he was an elf. :lol::lol:
Also that was actually pretty hilarious.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Do the books ever hint at how far in the future they take place?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Long enough so elves evolve, yet cars don't rust away.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Rocksicles posted:

To be fair a lot of the "evolution" was seemingly helped along by heaps of radiation.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rocksicles posted:

Nah, elves have always been here but they were in a magic other place until mankind blew it all up. Like Gorilla City. It's the gnomes, dwarves, and trolls that evolved from man.

Judging by the artifacts that survived, time passes much like distance in the 4 lands. Confusingly and contradictorly.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gyges posted:

Nah, elves have always been here but they were in a magic other place until mankind blew it all up. Like Gorilla City. It's the gnomes, dwarves, and trolls that evolved from man.

Judging by the artifacts that survived, time passes much like distance in the 4 lands. Confusingly and contradictorly.

Narnia... got it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

The best thing about it was:

Ty: We build machines and went to the stars!
Eritrea: I don't believe you...
Ty: Wanna see proof?
*puts on Star Trek*

A rare piece of brilliant writing in an otherwise average show.

The show is so bad that a bunch of teenage hipsters booing Spock ends up being the biggest highlight of the season

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

The remnants of human civilizaton are by far the most interesting part of the setting. I don't give a poo poo about elf politics or demons and druids.

Gyges posted:

Also, that record. A CD would have been more believable, I think?

hollylolly posted:

That was funny, but the whole context for it was really dumb. It was obvious we were supposed to think "They're all racists, gently caress 'em" so we wouldn't care when the whole village gets slaughtered by trolls, but this directly followed an episode where we learn that the elves committed war crimes against the humans, and we know that the elves all live safely in their city while the humans live out in a wilderness inhabited by monsters, and I ended up thinking "You know what, these people have a point."

Even the sacrificing people to trolls thing could have been excusable. It obviously wouldn't be sustainable longterm, and they seemed to be building up their resources and defences. Add to that the fact that they were able to get the trolls to back off sufficiently to make this deal in the first place, there was probably going to be a standoff in the near future where the humans stopped the sacrifices and put up enough of a defence to make the trolls back off for good. But now they're all dead.

Also, they started on the racism and telegraphed the human sacrifice thing way too hard, way too soon. We never had time to buy into Utopia being an actually good place full of good people to make it in any way impactful that they were actually baddies.

Speaking of trolls though, we now know that the gnomes are just people, and the trolls are obviously intelligent enough to make truces and deals, so are they just more people too? If so, why do they eat humans? Is it a religious thing? It can't be an efficient food source.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

etalian posted:

The show is so bad that a bunch of teenage hipsters booing Spock ends up being the biggest highlight of the season

Way to miss the point! Although I guess that's to be expected when you're hate-watching.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tiggum posted:

The remnants of human civilizaton are by far the most interesting part of the setting. I don't give a poo poo about elf politics or demons and druids.

Also, that record. A CD would have been more believable, I think?

That was funny, but the whole context for it was really dumb. It was obvious we were supposed to think "They're all racists, gently caress 'em" so we wouldn't care when the whole village gets slaughtered by trolls, but this directly followed an episode where we learn that the elves committed war crimes against the humans, and we know that the elves all live safely in their city while the humans live out in a wilderness inhabited by monsters, and I ended up thinking "You know what, these people have a point."

Even the sacrificing people to trolls thing could have been excusable. It obviously wouldn't be sustainable longterm, and they seemed to be building up their resources and defences. Add to that the fact that they were able to get the trolls to back off sufficiently to make this deal in the first place, there was probably going to be a standoff in the near future where the humans stopped the sacrifices and put up enough of a defence to make the trolls back off for good. But now they're all dead.

Also, they started on the racism and telegraphed the human sacrifice thing way too hard, way too soon. We never had time to buy into Utopia being an actually good place full of good people to make it in any way impactful that they were actually baddies.

Speaking of trolls though, we now know that the gnomes are just people, and the trolls are obviously intelligent enough to make truces and deals, so are they just more people too? If so, why do they eat humans? Is it a religious thing? It can't be an efficient food source.

Have we even seen any black people in this world? Or anybody other than lily white or inoffensively mediterranian? I should rewatch that dance scene in the pilot I suppose. I'll laugh if the trolls end up being completely normal people under the hodge-podge rad suits. They saw people starting to grow pointy ears and said "gently caress that".

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Have we even seen any black people in this world? Or anybody other than lily white or inoffensively mediterranian? I should rewatch that dance scene in the pilot I suppose. I'll laugh if the trolls end up being completely normal people under the hodge-podge rad suits. They saw people starting to grow pointy ears and said "gently caress that".

Guard captain of elf is black

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Most notably the elf captain of the guard is black. One of the recent elf hunters was also black. I'm not sure how you missed that.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

enraged_camel posted:

Guard captain of elf is black

hollylolly posted:

Most notably the elf captain of the guard is black. One of the recent elf hunters was also black. I'm not sure how you missed that.
My bad then, I put this show on while I work on other things so I listen but don't always watch the screen.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Not to mention Manu Bennett is half Maori, I think.

I think there have been a few Asians, maybe.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Gyges posted:

Studios have been storing films in salt mines hundreds of feet below the surface for a while now. It's naturally temperature controlled with very low humidity. Of all the things they show surviving the apocalyptic event, the film is probably the most believable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

Not to mention Manu Bennett is half Maori, I think.

I think there have been a few Asians, maybe.

The poor redshirt gardener guy was Asian

• Locked thread