Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

grack posted:

You realize that this is redundant, yes?

It is, but I needed working audioports since my motherboard was crapping out. I swear there's a positive sound difference. I got the soundcard after the amp and was going to return the amp if the soundcard was perfect on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
I was thinking about getting a sound card, actually. They seem cheaper than a standalone DAC. I don't see the point in getting the amp, but, I did try to crank up the volume more and you're right, I do feel things are a little crisp on the high end of output from my source. A shame, because it's almost uncomfortable. I like listening to my music at a really neutral volume. These things are so low impedance I'm surprised I ran into this - I recall the A700s being so crisp and clear even at a mum's volume. For portability's sake I may get a Schiit Fulla and I can imagine that covering all my bases for cheap and also a way to dip my feet in the water if I ever step up a few price tiers higher for my next pair of headphones, any anecdotes?

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Received the replacement Sennheisers just a few minutes ago. These sound amazing, love the bass level on them.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Cromlech posted:

I was thinking about getting a sound card, actually. They seem cheaper than a standalone DAC. I don't see the point in getting the amp, but, I did try to crank up the volume more and you're right, I do feel things are a little crisp on the high end of output from my source. A shame, because it's almost uncomfortable. I like listening to my music at a really neutral volume. These things are so low impedance I'm surprised I ran into this - I recall the A700s being so crisp and clear even at a mum's volume. For portability's sake I may get a Schiit Fulla and I can imagine that covering all my bases for cheap and also a way to dip my feet in the water if I ever step up a few price tiers higher for my next pair of headphones, any anecdotes?

Given the age (and likely crappy audio solution) of your motherboard an external DAC/Amp should give you a reasonable improvement in audio quality. The Schitt Fulla or Fiio E07k are good options, I'm partial to Fiio.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

On a whim, I bought the $14.99 AmazonBasics on-ear headphones after seeing so many rave reviews. They're... actually not terrible? They feel cheap, but the plastic construction means they weigh next to nothing. A little snug on my big head but I'm sure they'll stretch over time. Tone is fairly bass-heavy, and they sound tinny at very low volumes, but at regular listening volume they're kind of amazing for the price.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Yeah, headphones have gotten pretty good even at low price points.

However, I would really, REALLY advise anyone looking at headphones on a budget to get the Philips SHP9500s. But if $15 is what you can afford, go nuts.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've had $15 KSC75's for over 10 years now and still like em for something small and open: http://www.amazon.com/Koss-KSC75-Portable-Stereophone-Headphones/dp/B0006B486K

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'd recommend the 2i2 over the solo. I love mine, and having a separate headphone circuit / volume knob is nice.

I'd actually recommend spending an extra 50$ and getting the 2i4. I know you only plan to use your guitar with it but if you ever want to start recording with synthesizers, or even a guitar pedal that supports midi, you're going to want to upgrade (I do).

Also I've been told that the 2i4 has a hardware limiter on it but that could be completely made up.

Also I wish the 2i2 had RCA in like the 2i4 :(

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

64bit_Dophins posted:

I'd actually recommend spending an extra 50$ and getting the 2i4. I know you only plan to use your guitar with it but if you ever want to start recording with synthesizers, or even a guitar pedal that supports midi, you're going to want to upgrade (I do).

Also I've been told that the 2i4 has a hardware limiter on it but that could be completely made up.

Also I wish the 2i2 had RCA in like the 2i4 :(

yeah the MIDI i/o on the 2i4 is a huge plus.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Still looking for vpulse replacements... :(

grack
Jan 10, 2012

redeyes posted:

Still looking for vpulse replacements... :(

http://theheadphonelist.com/2015-holiday-buyers-guide-the-most-gift-worthy-earphones-for-audiophiles-and-music-lovers/#bass

The Pump Audio 'phones are supposed to be pretty good.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

I can't find any info; do you know what changes they've made for the v2's versus the v1's?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cool, looks interesting. The best part of the vPulse are the insane sub bass with almost no bloat. Mids and treble are refined and plain NICE.

So if these can hit that mark, woohoo!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Not sure how great these are but Tanga has the Audio-Tecnica ATH-CKM500i for 29.99. I'm going to pick these up for the car since my S4s broke last week.

https://www.tanga.com/deals/2d982b3...aign=slickdeals

These came today and I have had a good chance to break them in. I have to say that I really like them. They are pretty drat comfortable and I'm really enjoying the sound. They make a good replacement for my S4s. It looks like only the red or white are still in stock but they are easily worth the 29.99.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

MarcusSA posted:

These came today and I have had a good chance to break them in. I have to say that I really like them. They are pretty drat comfortable and I'm really enjoying the sound. They make a good replacement for my S4s. It looks like only the red or white are still in stock but they are easily worth the 29.99.

Mine arrived last night and today was my first opportunity to use them. I'd definitely echo your sentiments about comfort and the sound is pretty good overall; certainly better than the $30 price tag.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Blinkz0rz posted:

I can't find any info; do you know what changes they've made for the v2's versus the v1's?

No idea, I've had no more than a 30min demo. Lots of bass, but good enough mid+high to make it enjoyable. Better than the JVC XXX line, anyways.

Maybe email the company?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
After almost 8 years, my beloved DT 770s are finally pretty much done. I want something else circumaural with soft pads that are extremely comfortable to wear with glasses, and durable. Budget wise I'm willing to consider anything up to $200 or so. I'd rather not have to deal with an amp, although my current setup drives the 250 Ohm DT 770s fine. I would also readily consider IEMs, but I need about 8' of cord and good durability on it and I don't know if there is any such thing. Maybe using an extension as a breakaway would be a good idea.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

K8.0 posted:

After almost 8 years, my beloved DT 770s are finally pretty much done. I want something else circumaural with soft pads that are extremely comfortable to wear with glasses, and durable. Budget wise I'm willing to consider anything up to $200 or so. I'd rather not have to deal with an amp, although my current setup drives the 250 Ohm DT 770s fine. I would also readily consider IEMs, but I need about 8' of cord and good durability on it and I don't know if there is any such thing. Maybe using an extension as a breakaway would be a good idea.

Well you're in good luck man because the Fidelio X2s are on Amazon Warehouse in Very Good condition for $156. Go buy that right now, don't even thank me just get it and report back when your mind is blown. They don't even need an amp.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00O2Y2MZG/ref=sr_1_1_olp?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1455999251&sr=1-1&keywords=fidelio+x2&condition=used

They are open back if that matters. But at $156 you'll never get a better headphone in your entire life. Even at full price they are the best headphone you can get at the retail of $300 (IMO).

The only reason these are so cheap is because of the controversy surrounding the switch to Gibson as the manufacturer, but this is BS, Z Reviews put out a video about the whole thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5lJdUy-1Ck

The point is, take advantage of the controversy and get yourself one of the best pair of headphones ever made for $156 loving dollars.

Taima fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 20, 2016

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The audiophile drama seems hilarious, but open cans aren't a good fit for me, I need a degree of isolation both in and out.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Taima posted:

Well you're in good luck man because the Fidelio X2s are on Amazon Warehouse in Very Good condition for $156. Go buy that right now, don't even thank me just get it and report back when your mind is blown. They don't even need an amp.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00O2Y2MZG/ref=sr_1_1_olp?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1455999251&sr=1-1&keywords=fidelio+x2&condition=used

They are open back if that matters. But at $156 you'll never get a better headphone in your entire life. Even at full price they are the best headphone you can get at the retail of $300 (IMO).

The only reason these are so cheap is because of the controversy surrounding the switch to Gibson as the manufacturer, but this is BS, Z Reviews put out a video about the whole thing:

The point is, take advantage of the controversy and get yourself one of the best pair of headphones ever made for $156 loving dollars.

I've just taken advantage of this very deal (but from UK Amazon) to get some X2s with a slightly damaged box for £150. I've also bought a FiiO X1 to go with them. I'm upgrading from an ipod touch and some fairly run-of-the-mill sony headphones. I hope I've not done something dumb....

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

You should be good, I think. Before I got the X2s, my main go-to headphones were:

1) Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
2) Sennheiser 598 SE

Each had a specific purpose: the Beyer for home use with an amp, and the Senns for portable use with my phone. After I got the X2s I put both of these headphones back in their box forever, because the X2s are actually better than both headphones, and without an amp.

The only thing I miss is listening to thing instrumental music with the DT 880s, which is the one genre that the DT880s are near untouchable. But for overall listening through a range of genres, it can't even hold a candle to the X2.

And the Senns I don't miss at all because the X2 is just objectively better than them at everything.

So yeah, at one time I had two headphones and a dedicated amp. I'm going to sell all of that poo poo. The X2 are the only headphones I need.

Of course this is just my opinion, but I consider it a no-risk venture because Amazon's return policy on Warehouse items is iron-clad.

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 21, 2016

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
If I buy V-Moda Crossfade Wireless headphones from Amazon's Warehousedeals ($219, very good condition - probably just a return) is the immortal life warranty/standard warranty still in-tact? Or would V-Moda say "sorry, bought used, no warranty."

V V thanks. Technically, Warehousedeals, although owned by Amazon, is a separate business and may not be considered an official vendor. Guess I'll gamble.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 21, 2016

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I don't own V-Moda cans but my understanding is that as long as you buy them from an authorized reseller (which Amazon is) you should be good.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
My GranVela Urbanfun IEMs arrived this morning. So far I'm impressed. Medium silicon tips seem best as the supplied foam tips are way too small. They actually give pretty good isolation which I'm not used to with silicon tips.

Be interesting to see how well they last. Thanks for the suggestion.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Taima posted:

gently caress it. I just bit the bullet on a pair for the lolz if nothing else.
And down the rabbit hole we go.

Edit: how are these vs the SHP9500?
I need to get my 4 groomsmen gifts.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 25, 2016

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

The 9500s are inferior to the X2s, but for the money, the 9500s are REALLY good.

I would probably just get the 9500s for your groomsmen but it depends on how fancy your wedding will be and how into audio your groomsmen are. If the wedding is higher-end it may be a nice gesture to upgrade to the X2s. The build quality on the X2s is pretty outrageously good, so even if your groomsmen aren't audiophiles they would definitely know intuitively that it's a nice, expensive gift.

One issue is that when you buy something from Amazon Warehouse (I assume you would go that route vs. retail) there are stickers on the box and sometimes the box is a bit rough around the edges, having been transported twice and presumably opened at least once.

Therefore if you do go the X2 route, I would take them out of the box and re-wrap them in a gift bag or something like that.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Are there any good headphones in this style?

I don't particularly like things in my ears but would also take suggestions for IEMs that are extremely soft/comfortable.

Budget - $150ish
Source - iPod and PC
Isolation Requirements - I don't know?
Preferred Type of Headphone - Above picture (don't know the name) or IEMs as a DISTANT second
Preferred Tonal Balance - Leaning toward base but also wouldn't mind a vocal boost since I'm on trains a lot
Past Headphones - Skullcandy :eng99: and Brookstone headphones in the same vein as the above. Only complaint about the Brookstone was that they were expensive (airport and forgot my own headphones) and were a bit soft sometimes
Preferred Music - Good bit of everything but more soundtracks (movie/game) than anything these days

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:
So my headphone jack has been giving me trouble for years. Always thought there was something wrong with my Sennheiser HD515s, but never investigated it much, just messed with the plug until things worked.

So after reading a bunch of online guides on how to cut the plug off, solder the new cables to an aftermarket plug, and then seal it, I decided that this is what I needed to do to make my headphones not suck anymore.

So I got wire strippers, a soldering iron, a glue gun, a 3.5mm stereo jack, and I got ready to start working on it. After cutting off the faulty jack it came with, I apparently have 4 wires to deal with - and they're all in colours that no diagrams cover. Red, blue, black and white. I assume two of them are grounds, but which? Some sites say to look at the original plug that was cut off, but since the original plug was this exactly:

It looks like pretty fused rubber so I can't open easily to see.

Any ideas? Am I in the completely wrong place?

Also this is all in :canada: if that makes a difference.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Chaotic Flame posted:

Are there any good headphones in this style?

I don't particularly like things in my ears but would also take suggestions for IEMs that are extremely soft/comfortable.

Budget - $150ish
Source - iPod and PC
Isolation Requirements - I don't know?
Preferred Type of Headphone - Above picture (don't know the name) or IEMs as a DISTANT second
Preferred Tonal Balance - Leaning toward base but also wouldn't mind a vocal boost since I'm on trains a lot
Past Headphones - Skullcandy :eng99: and Brookstone headphones in the same vein as the above. Only complaint about the Brookstone was that they were expensive (airport and forgot my own headphones) and were a bit soft sometimes
Preferred Music - Good bit of everything but more soundtracks (movie/game) than anything these days

Koss KSC75 or KSC35, Audio Technica EM7 or EW9. There really aren't many good earclip headphones around.

For IEMs, Shure SE215 with foam "olive" tips.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I have the Koss KSC75. They're pretty amazing for the price.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
So I got them.
The Fidelio X2's amazing. Easily the best headphones I've ever owned.

I have to say though, for long listening they're a touch fatiguing and I can't put my finger on exactly why. They're not TOO sibilant but the highs are sharp.
The bass is solid, boomy, full, and crisp. However it rolls off pretty sharply at lower Hz (around 50?), more-so than the HD598's. Honestly though, it doesn't even matter because of just how full and rich and boomy, AND loving CLEAR the bass is.

That being said, let's talk about the mids. I've fallen in love.
It's like I've looked at the same girl a million times, but that one-million-and-first time, there was something different. She was somehow, perfect. More gorgeous than ever before, impossible to ignore. In fact nothing else is in focus but her. She is all that matters.
The mids are perfect. Like, studio monitor accurate, but somehow more "fun." Even when I filter out the bass and treble the mids stand alone.

Anywho, all this is a flowery way of saying, I'm totally keeping them.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Glad you like them! Break them in for a week or so and report back on the sibilance. YMMV but in my experience once the cans break in they have an extremely balanced signature.

Just FYI, the reason the headphones are so fun and, imo, amazing sounding is that Philips didn't make the headphones based on what is scientifically neutral. They had a focus on real-life testing, and had experts continuously rating the sound signature through the development process. They relied less on the numbers and more on what signature sounded best in real life. I think the results speak for themselves, and it makes a powerful statement about the difference between what is numerically neutral, and what simply sounds good to humans.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Budget - $250 to $300 tops
Source - Desktop or laptop via headphone amp (see below)
Isolation Requirements - No isolation, I'd prefer an open back
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full size, circum-aural
Preferred Tonal Balance - A nice, balanced set of cans would be nice
Past Headphones - I think it's finally time to retire my old Sennheiser HD580s (which I've really loved). I've also got a pair of closed back Audio-Technica ATH-700x that I use at work for isolation that I enjoy the sound of. They both seem to deliver a nice balance of tones and cover the range of music I listen to fairly well.
Preferred Music - I listen to a lot of classical, some chillout electronica, a bit of trance and 90s grunge/modern alternative and will also be using these for gaming

I've been leaning toward a pair of Sennheiser HD598s because I've enjoyed the 580s, but I'm open to other brands!

I'd also like to get a new headphone amp for home, preferably something with tubes if it's not going to be stupidly expensive. I've been running a cheap "Pocket Amp v2" for the last dozen or so years, but it would be nice to get something that gives that warmer sound (and looks sweet). Not sure what a decent one would run, so if there are a handful of price options I'd love to see them. Budget for the headphones is independent of whatever a nice amp would cost, so don't worry about trying to fit both within the $250.

Accursed fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 28, 2016

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Taima posted:

Glad you like them! Break them in for a week or so and report back on the sibilance. YMMV but in my experience once the cans break in they have an extremely balanced signature.

Just FYI, the reason the headphones are so fun and, imo, amazing sounding is that Philips didn't make the headphones based on what is scientifically neutral. They had a focus on real-life testing, and had experts continuously rating the sound signature through the development process. They relied less on the numbers and more on what signature sounded best in real life. I think the results speak for themselves, and it makes a powerful statement about the difference between what is numerically neutral, and what simply sounds good to humans.

The problem is actually that the compensation curves that companies usually use for headphones are still not very good for the most part, Nad and Philips have good ones though

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Just ordered a pair of X2's at the ~gluegate~ price of $160 (warehousedeals). I'm nervous because most of my warehousedeals purchases have meant I was at the receiving end of a scam , i.e. some gently caress head kept the shipped item and sent back an inferior similarly looking item in the original packaging. Got very screwed on a Sony RX M4 camera last year (in the box was a broken Sony point and shoot that must have cost $40 at Walgreens). Certainly wasn't a $1000 camera. Had to beg Amazon to believe me as they denied the return at first - they blamed me on trying to scam them (!!). Fortunately I recorded the unboxing (recommend for all warehousedeals buys) and that fixed it up quick when I sent them the video. Amazon is terrible at validating returned products and just resells them without due dillegence.

That said for 50% off, I'll take my chances, glue and all. 770'S going up for sale if this works out. Thanks thread.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
e: smh

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Accursed posted:

Budget - $250 to $300 tops
Source - Desktop or laptop via headphone amp (see below)
Isolation Requirements - No isolation, I'd prefer an open back
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full size, circum-aural
Preferred Tonal Balance - A nice, balanced set of cans would be nice
Past Headphones - I think it's finally time to retire my old Sennheiser HD580s (which I've really loved). I've also got a pair of closed back Audio-Technica ATH-700x that I use at work for isolation that I enjoy the sound of. They both seem to deliver a nice balance of tones and cover the range of music I listen to fairly well.
Preferred Music - I listen to a lot of classical, some chillout electronica, a bit of trance and 90s grunge/modern alternative and will also be using these for gaming

I've been leaning toward a pair of Sennheiser HD598s because I've enjoyed the 580s, but I'm open to other brands!

I'd also like to get a new headphone amp for home, preferably something with tubes if it's not going to be stupidly expensive. I've been running a cheap "Pocket Amp v2" for the last dozen or so years, but it would be nice to get something that gives that warmer sound (and looks sweet). Not sure what a decent one would run, so if there are a handful of price options I'd love to see them. Budget for the headphones is independent of whatever a nice amp would cost, so don't worry about trying to fit both within the $250.

Did you not just read my post about the X2's?

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Did you not just read my post about the X2's?

I did, and figured I'd see if anyone else wanted to chime in with opinions! Those do look really, really tempting, though, and I could probably order them in time to pick up in the US when I'm moving next month.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

grack posted:

Koss KSC75 or KSC35, Audio Technica EM7 or EW9. There really aren't many good earclip headphones around.

For IEMs, Shure SE215 with foam "olive" tips.

Yeah, the earclip is dead. :(

I might try the Shure though and see if they're comfortable for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Update on the X2's

I think I know why it's tough to listen to them for long periods.

1) The ear pads are different than what I'm used to. The foam is very firm and the felt is a bit scratchy. They're not quite as plush and comfy as the 598's.
They're not bad, they're actually very nice, but they don't feel as luxurious as other headphones I've owned.

2) They're TOO good. They're so clear that it's like listening to everything for the first time. I can't just casually enjoy music, I find myself picking out every detail and sound that I hadn't heard before. It's fun at first but after a while it's just sensory overload.

3) These things want too much power. I don't mean that you can't drive them, but you just cannot turn up loud enough too loud. There is virtually no distortion or bleed in the sound, and they just beg to be cranked up louder.
And I am inclined to oblige.